HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 1m

Interesting... #NHLDraft MT @IgorEronko Valeri Nichushkin told Rsport.ru he had terminated contract with #Dynamo and now moves towards #NHL
That's outstanding, if true, I would think the Oilers' interest in this player will increase, he's what they need in terms of size and skill.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That's outstanding, if true, I would think the Oilers' interest in this player will increase, he's what they need in terms of size and skill.
i think htis news makes him unavailable to the oilers. he is top 5 talent and i wouldnt be surprised to see him go before barkov

Old
05-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i think htis news makes him unavailable to the oilers. he is top 5 talent and i wouldnt be surprised to see him go before barkov
Well that's still a "win" for the Oilers because it will push Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm down. toward the #7 spot. Win-Win.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
His value is as lowest as it's ever been, I'd rather not deal him at that point and hope for a bounce back rather than drafting a 17 year old goalie. If he's worth nothing now than why not wait it out and try to maximize his value. Unless you really think he doesn't deserve to be an NHL player at all, in that case talking back on forth on a message board about that will probably do nothing to change either of our minds.
Because he is poison on this team. Addition by subtraction.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:32 AM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
I still don't see a team that previously drafted Radulov taking another Russian again so early. It will be up to Tampa, Carolina and Calgary to draft him.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Lil more...

FedFedRMNB
Top prospect Valery Nichushkin announces he'll sign in the NHL after draft. Tells R-Sport: "Dynamo told me I can go if I want. There are no legal obstacles. My contract with Dynamo has been terminated. I'm leaving as a free agent. I'm lucky they compromised. We agreed that if something goes wrong in America, I'll return to them". Also said he hopes to be selected in the top-5.

Thats fantastic news... as long as he goes ahead of us.

Actual story/link here

Translated

Last edited by Soli: 05-22-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I still don't see a team that previously drafted Radulov taking another Russian again so early. It will be up to Tampa, Carolina and Calgary to draft him.
Yeah, and Columbus subscribes to that too, but what's the point? "Oh look at that guy and what kind of a bust he was" should apply to that player, not the country, or the Oilers should avoid OHL and WHL guys high in the draft because of Kelly and Bonseinor(sp)

Old
05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Well that's still a "win" for the Oilers because it will push Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm down. toward the #7 spot. Win-Win.
for sure it is, it makes there a legit top 7 now with no questions really. we are guaranteed one of the top 7 and with calgary picking before us we may get a choice between 2 of them.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Yeah, and Columbus subscribes to that too, but what's the point? "Oh look at that guy and what kind of a bust he was" should apply to that player, not the country, or the Oilers should avoid OHL and WHL guys high in the draft because of Kelly and Bonseinor(sp)
but i thought all russians leave for the KHL as soon as they can???

some people harp over and over about these stereotypes but i just dont get it.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
for sure it is, it makes there a legit top 7 now with no questions really. we are guaranteed one of the top 7 and with calgary picking before us we may get a choice between 2 of them.
I would still LOVE the Flame to go "off the board" with their pick, trying to "outsmart" everyone.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:47 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
I would still LOVE the Flame to go "off the board" with their pick, trying to "outsmart" everyone.
me too i live in calgary so busting my friends balls about it works every time.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 1m

Interesting... #NHLDraft MT @IgorEronko Valeri Nichushkin told Rsport.ru he had terminated contract with #Dynamo and now moves towards #NHL
awesome news for the draft

Old
05-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
but i thought all russians leave for the KHL as soon as they can???

some people harp over and over about these stereotypes but i just dont get it.
Well to be fair it's not "unfounded" and it's why a team would worry about a late 1st round or mid rounder on a Russian player, especially one playing over in the KHL, because they lack insentive to play in the AHL, but generally a team shouldn't be "ruled" by this fact.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I think it's outstanding because it opens up the possibility of Carolina taking him at 5 and dropping one of the top centers to us.
The Oilers need to get a center out of this draft IMO.

I don't want Nichushkin. He tries that same power move going wide almost every time, doesn't seem to utilize his teammates and has a questionable Hockey IQ. I'm basing a lot of this of my viewings of him at the WJC. He was impressive in that tournament but i think it was more a case of him dominating against physically smaller players than anything else. He won't be able to pull off those moves on a regular basis in the NHL.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Baggers

For some reason, I get a feeling Nichuskin goes to TB with the 3rd overall.

If it happens, it will be a tough call for NAS between Barkov and Drouin (I think Seth goes to COL and MacKinnon goes to FLO). If NAS takes Barkov, I think CAR takes Drouin, but if NAS takes Drouin, I can see CAR being open to trading down.

Either way, unless another team trades up to take him, I'm guessing Monahan goes to CAL with the 6th overall.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:11 AM
OILSLICK94

With this being regarded the best draft in a decade, does that mean in bulk of talent available (Which I believe is the case) or do scouts think McKinnon and Jones are better 1st overall boys then our 3 some. (Hall/RNH/Yakupov) the last 3 years.

Who here thinks Jones/McKinnon are better then either of our 2010/2011/2012 first overall studs?

I always wonder that, usually its all a "timing" issue. Like for example look at the Penguins, there rebuild started with Studs like Crosby/Malkin two studs that are one in a generation of talent.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Oilception

Ok Oilceptions steps to success
Colorado takes Jones
Florida takes macinnon
Tampa picks Nichuskin
Nashville picks Drouin
Carolina picks a defensemen
Calgary goes off the board and picks someone out of Asia
Edmonton gets Barkov

Boom! We get Barkov

Old
05-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I would love to get Nichushkin. I don't think he will be there when we pick though, especially with the news that he is willing to come over right away

Old
05-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
absolutely, this is great news. There is now a legit top 7

Jones, McKinnon, Druin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan.

All of these guys are legit top 5 picks in a good draft year so having the 7th pick may not be any worse than having the 4th pick in a normal year. The trade value has gone up a lot. IMO, MacT is swapping this pick for a defenceman and this news greatly increases the value of his trading chip.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:42 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I'm not saying its the smart thing to do. I think you take the BPA regardless of where he is from. I just don't see the guys actually signing the million dollars taking that same risk.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I'd be okay with Nichuskin.

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Nichuskin - Nuge - Eberle.

Little bit of size and bite from Hall , Yak and Nichuskin.

I Still would like to get a physical center if possible, and split Nuge Eberle in an ideal world.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:48 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I could see the flames potentially drafting Hunter Shinkaruk at the 6 spot. He's a Calgary native and almost put up 50 goals in the WHL as a 16 year old.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Seachd

Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 2m

Nichushkin and his posse claim that the #Canes and the #Lightning have shown interest in the Russian prospect. #NHLDraft2013

Old
05-22-2013, 10:08 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 2m

Nichushkin and his posse claim that the #Canes and the #Lightning have shown interest in the Russian prospect. #NHLDraft2013
Just saw that. Good news for us I guess.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:12 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I don't know why he's listed as a Center. I honestly think its just to try and raise his draft stock. He will be a winger at the NHL level.

He is unbelievable when he's on his game but has some serious consistency issues and can be lazy at times. He had a really poor performance at the U-18s but looked great at the WJC. Explain that to me :/
Did he? He had 4 goals and 3 assists in 6 games. He did have a slow start to the tournament though, only getting two assists in the first 3 games. But even he admitted that he was tired from having lost in the KHL finals one day before the tournament started.

edit: speaking of tournaments this is what Al Murray, the Lightning's head scout, had to say about him at the Five Nations Tournament
"That's maybe the most dominant performance I've ever seen at a tournament. He absolutely took over. He was a combination of (Alex) Ovechkin and (Evgeni) Malkin. He was in on the forecheck. He was finishing checks. He was making plays. He scored big goals. He never quit on a shift, and he was just spectacular."

Closed Thread