HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

20e Mondial de la bière

Old
05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
...The Bogfather Gruit from Beau's Brewery is REALLY, but REALLY worth it as well.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
jpchabby

Can't wait to go there! It's gonna be my first time!

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...The Bogfather Gruit from Beau's Brewery is REALLY, but REALLY worth it as well.
expensive?

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 04:47 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
expensive?
It's 7.50 (roughly) for 600ml at the brewery.

Not cheap, but actually better ratio beer-for-the-buck than, say, Saison Station 55 from Hopfenstark. All the while being a much more unique product (and I really like Hopfenstark... and consider Boson de Higgs a pure masterpiece).

Old
05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Shock Top and Grolsh are great dude.
Dude you live in Montreal, put down the Shock Top and get a Blanche de Chambly. Christ, it's the best witbier I've ever had and I go to the low countries a lot. Phenomenal beer.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Dude you live in Montreal, put down the Shock Top and get a Blanche de Chambly. Christ, it's the best witbier I've ever had and I go to the low countries a lot. Phenomenal beer.
Better than LaTrappe?

Old
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
HabsByTheBay

La Trappe is definitely my favorite witbier in the Low Countries, at least in terms of something you can get at a cafe fairly easily. But Blanche de Chambly is better. Maybe it's because it was really hot the last time I was in Montreal and witbiers are amazing when it's hot, but oh man, I think about that beer a lot. You can't get it in England.

Brasserie d'Achouffe's La Chouffe is amazing as well. It's actually a blonde but it has the real fullness of a witbier. Blonde de Chambly is pretty good, but not quite as good as Blanche.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:17 PM
MXD

Quote:
La Trappe is definitely my favorite witbier in the Low Countries, at least in terms of something you can get at a cafe fairly easily. But Blanche de Chambly is better. Maybe it's because it was really hot the last time I was in Montreal and witbiers are amazing when it's hot, but oh man, I think about that beer a lot. You can't get it in England.

Brasserie d'Achouffe's La Chouffe is amazing as well. It's actually a blonde but it has the real fullness of a witbier. Blonde de Chambly is pretty good, but not quite as good as Blanche.
You might be right....
I mean, maybe I take the Blanche de Chambly too much for granted?

If you have a chance, then by all means, try the 1837 (from Unibroue as well) if you're lucky enough to find it. It's basically a Witbier on roids.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
You might be right....
I mean, maybe I take the Blanche de Chambly too much for granted?

If you have a chance, then by all means, try the 1837 (from Unibroue as well) if you're lucky enough to find it. It's basically a Witbier on roids.
Yeah we take Unibroue for granted, mostly because it's available in every grocerie store and dépanneur and because it's owned by Sapporo. Still, they make great beers and in the USA they absolutely LOVE it.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:31 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Yeah we take Unibroue for granted, mostly because it's available in every grocerie store and dépanneur and because it's owned by Sapporo. Still, they make great beers and in the USA they absolutely LOVE it.
I actually grew up in Chambly, so...

Old
05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
HabsByTheBay

Yeah, I am going to drink a ton of beer when I come back to Montreal. I'm originally from San Francisco and Montreal's beer scene is just as good as the NorCal beer scene. More flavorful Belgian-inspired beers as well as NorCal, like most American scenes, are far too focused on hops, hops, hops and Germany. It's great, but like in a lot of other instances, Montreal offers something just a little different and far more interesting.

Brouwerij De Prael's Heintje is my favorite microbrewed low countries wheat beer. It's really good, from a very small brewery just outside the red light district in Amsterdam.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:33 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
The Couche-Tard behind my hotel stocked all the Unibroue beers. My jaw practically hit the floor when I saw that, I couldn't believe it was RIGHT there. I bought 2-3 bottles right there and drank them in the hotel room with the wife.

That they're owned by Sapporo drives me up the wall, in the sense that it should therefore be much easier to get their beer. But apparently they don't even export to Europe anymore...!!!

Old
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
MXD

Quote:
Yeah, I am going to drink a ton of beer when I come back to Montreal. I'm originally from San Francisco and Montreal's beer scene is just as good as the NorCal beer scene. More flavorful Belgian-inspired beers as well as NorCal, like most American scenes, are far too focused on hops, hops, hops and Germany. It's great, but like in a lot of other instances, Montreal offers something just a little different and far more interesting.

Brouwerij De Prael's Heintje is my favorite microbrewed low countries wheat beer. It's really good, from a very small brewery just outside the red light district in Amsterdam.
Montreal (actually, Quebec...) scene features.... A lot of Saison's, actually.

If you like really original products, try stuff from À l'Abri de la Tempête. Pretty much only available in specialized boutiques, and expansive as hell. But those are... different.

Oh... if you can try la Blanche du Mur (Brasseurs du Monde) or l'Alexander Platz at the Mondial de la Bière... do so. Berliner Weisse. And really good ones at that.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Well that's one thing that the Québec beer scene can't get right, we lack American IPAs, or ones that are actually good. I did an IPA tasting session with buddies 2 years ago and it was so disappointing.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:52 PM
MXD

Quote:
Well that's one thing that the Québec beer scene can't get right, we lack American IPAs, or ones that are actually good. I did an IPA tasting session with buddies 2 years ago and it was so disappointing.
Actually, la Pale Ale Américaine of Dunham is really awesome.

A bit of an original take on the style, though.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Seb and MXD new best buddies.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Actually, la Pale Ale Américaine of Dunham is really awesome.

A bit of an original take on the style, though.
I've tried a few beers from Dunham and they freaking sucked. Way out of style. But that was over a year ago and I learned that Cheval Blanc's brewer Éloi Deit took over Dunham's brewing. Might help.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:11 AM
LAARRRSSSS

I'd be surprised if they are not at the Mondial, but if you guys ever go to a specialized beer store in Qc, try and pickup a Pit Caribou IPA.

Best (accessible) Quebec IPA in my opinion.

The best I've ever tried is TDD Dubai Pillée which is occasionally available in bars such as Vice & Versa and Brouhaha.

Quote:
I've tried a few beers from Dunham and they freaking sucked. Way out of style. But that was over a year ago and I learned that Cheval Blanc's brewer Éloi Deit took over Dunham's brewing. Might help.
I've been really impressed with Dunham over the past year or two. XXX, Impérial IPA, APA, Stout Impériale Russe are all excellent.

LAARRRSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAARRRSSSS View Post
I'd be surprised if they are not at the Mondial, but if you guys ever go to a specialized beer store in Qc, try and pickup a Pit Caribou IPA.

Best (accessible) Quebec IPA in my opinion.

The best I've ever tried is TDD Dubai Pillée which is occasionally available in bars such as Vice & Versa and Brouhaha.
I tried the TDD Dubai Pillée at the Houblonneries (Polytechnique beer fest) a month a go and was left disappointed. It tasted like onions. Not sure what went wrong, but most beers I've had that night were awful (my friends who are also beers connoisseurs agreed). I would love to try it again tho cause I'm sure it was an off batch.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

1 week away!

Old
05-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Have fun, guys. I won't be going but I know of a few -- including family -- that will be in attendance. If Harry gets drunk, take lots of pictures.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Guiness time

I tried Pit Caribou IPA and really enjoyed it. Some of the Dunham IPA's are good too...obviously they can't compare the US stuff, but for IPA lover's located in Quebec the market is definitely improving.

Guiness time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness time View Post
I tried Pit Caribou IPA and really enjoyed it. Some of the Dunham IPA's are good too...obviously they can't compare the US stuff, but for IPA lover's located in Quebec the market is definitely improving.
L'Alchimiste IPA is, imo, an excellent product that we can find pretty easily for a micro...

If you guys enjoy bitter beers, you should absolutely try Hopfenstark Ostalgia rousse... my absolute favorite beer in this world...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Guiness time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
L'Alchimiste IPA is, imo, an excellent product that we can find pretty easily for a micro...

If you guys enjoy bitter beers, you should absolutely try Hopfenstark Ostalgia rousse... my absolute favorite beer in this world...
I happened to hit a good beer store tonight & was browsing through the ipa section & thought of your post. So I picked up Hopfenstark Ostalgia rousse & I'm currently drinking/enjoying it right now. It's a good caramel/red ale beer...not my preferred style but I always enjoy trying new brews and definitely recommend trying it at least once if you haven't yet. Thanks for the tip. Cheers!

Guiness time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Burke the Legend

this used to be good 10 years ago but it's all 450 now

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote