HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 09:29 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Sometimes me and my friend swap games that we've beaten so that we can play new games. You're telling me I have to pay $40-60 just so I can play my friend's copy?
Unless you have access to each other's accounts, yes (from the given information).

Old
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Homes and Cars don't change hands nearly as often as videogames. That's a pretty poor comparison.
Well.. Homes and Cars can have up to 4-5 owners in their lifespan.

Videogames? I'm not sure. I think it's around 2-3.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Homes and Cars don't change hands nearly as often as videogames. That's a pretty poor comparison.
It's exactly the same thing. If you prefer use DVD's, Blu-Ray's, Books or CD's as an example instead.

Somehow the video game industry has been able to brain wash some people into thinking that their industry is different from every other industry.

Last edited by Neely2005: 05-22-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Sometimes me and my friend swap games that we've beaten so that we can play new games. You're telling me I have to pay $40-60 just so I can play my friend's copy?
Well think of the poor video game developers...

Old
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
eldiablo17

Quote:
Yup, only one account is linked to the game. So if your roommate/brother/sister wants to play it they can only do so on your account as well, not their own, despite it being on the same system.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Sounds like someone in this thread is ******** that the WiiU became even less relevant.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
How these things would affect me personally as a consumer:

- I tend to have to move a lot for some reason or another. Every time I do I'm basically left with just my consoles for entertainment until the cable/internet guy shows which can be a week or more depending on schedules. I'm not home all day, they don't have appointments all night. Connecting once a day renders my console useless. Although you can usually find an unlocked WiFi in your area in any city to connect if need be I suppose.

- Used games. This is my way of playing things I normally never would. And usually for a good reason. I don't feel bad for having Deadliest Catch since I paid like $3.99 for it. Had I had to add a new fee and pay 40 bucks, I would be pissed. Other times you find something you like. Gears of War for example I had no interest in, bought it for under ten bucks used. Purchased the next two at normal price because I liked it.

What if you bought a Blu Ray movie and only you were allowed to watch it? You bring it to your friends or loan it to them and they have to pay a fee? Suddenly this is ok with video games that cost three times as much?

- Hard Drive - I don't want to have to add another clunky box of external memory to an already overcrowded home entertainment center that I want to keep as clean as possible. Add in that Xbox One, the Kinect which is huge, and a hard drive...

- HDMI only - I have a badass stereo system from years ago which is still better than anything I've come across since. I use it for my surround and music. It's not going to work with my Xbox leaving me with the TV speakers.

- Xbox Live - no word on the price, meaning there probably will be again. I'm not paying a subscription to play online in this day and age. Period.

- It was already idiotic that you couldn't make multiple profiles on your own 360 and use your Xbox Live subscription forcing parents to pay multiple times for multiple kids. Now they'll also have to pay for the same game repeatedly? Good luck with that. I often use multiple profiles on the PS3 for games, sometimes I want to re-earn the trophies or play online with a different setup. Xbox not allowing me to do that always annoyed me, and I'm certainly not paying twice for a game I purchased.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Sounds like someone in this thread is ******** that the WiiU became even less relevant.
Wrong again as usual. As I've told you before numerous times I own or have owned pretty much every major console. Not everyone is a Microsoft fanboy like you.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

It's interesting that the fanboys, who are clearly being fanboys, are responding to being called out as such by calling the other person a fanboy.

Quote:
Nothing has been confirmed. Microsoft in official statements has either said TBA or that there's a small fee. Then Kotaku ran an article saying it would be full MSRP to play on a different gamertag. The Microsoft VP Kotaku got their information from clarified his interview, the jist of his clarification was "TBA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The state of PC gaming? It has never been better. I feel like you're the type to buy into those yearly "the death of PC gaming" articles. The ones that have been going on for twenty years or so.
That's simply not true. How many companies are developing exclusively for PC that aren't in genres that only work on PC (Like strategy games)? Only indie developers. How many big companies are investing in PC games? Bethesda used to use the PC as the build platform, not anymore. EA, Activision and Ubisoft, the three mega publishers half-ass PC games now.

The death of PC gaming articles don't address the real problem, they talk about the same ******** that articles claiming mobile games are the future say. The real problem for PC is the consumer base isn't getting any bigger, piracy (No matter what the consumer says) is a problem for developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Stolen from NeoGAF

I think I'll pass, but if you're happy with that all the power to you.

Not to mention their entertainment options are basically US only.
That is a ridiculous post. It takes the rumours, puts the worst possible spin on them, and then says they're confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Because it wasn't a sure fire hit when it released and they had already started plans to bring other projects to the PC.

No company is going to abandon the PC, espcially if they are already making cross-platform games. The new generation will make it even easier for the PC and its just an additional revenue stream. Plus development costs are going to go up and so is the homogenization of game's due to it.
I don't know how you can say that. RDR wasn't a sure fire hit but Max Payne was? They always could have assigned it to one of their many studios, but they didn't. Rockstar has been pretty vocal about their problems with the PC industry, especially piracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Unless you flat out open up the One, I don't know how you can replace it. I replaced the hard drive in my PS3 from an 80GB to a 500GB, and guess what? It doesn't void the warranty. I even asked Sony that if I have a new hard drive in my system and I need to send it back, I just put the old hard drive back in and sent it back. I have no ****ing idea where you're getting all these notions from. It is supported. You only void the warranty if you fully open up the system. If the PS3's hard drive wasn't meant to be tampered with, why is there a dedicated door for the hard drive, a tray you can easily remove and reinstall in a new hard drive? The YLOD could be fixed by essentially putting the mainboard in an oven for 20 minutes at a low heat. It would re-solder everything and would work. My original PS3 ****ed up because I ran it 24/7 for 3+ straight years and the GPU was partially fried. And that ran in a hot as hell room too.

Let me ask you something, if it wasn't meant to be replaced, why would it ever allow you to replace it? Why can you buy an official Microsoft branded 360 slim drive off of Amazon to replace the one that you have if it wasn't intended to be possibly replaced?
How can you say the Xbox One won't be allowed to be opened? That's pretty ridiculous. You've never touched one, but you're feeling confident to make an assertion already.

No internal hard drive is ever intended to be replaced, that doesn't mean it's not possible. You're blinded by your fanboyism that you're seeing aspects that aren't there. Look back to the original announcements of the PS3 and Xbox Slim, internal hard drive, not meant to be replaced. You can open up the PS3 and Xbox S hard drive slot because they need that for it to be repaired.

On you're second part, about the YLOD, I have to laugh at that. That's the same, half-assed, homebrewed fix that people had for RROD. The only way to professionally fix those without sending them in is to open them up and fix them, with guides online that fix them for real. I know someone who fixed them on the side, and those quick fix methods were all ********, they were temporary.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post

No internal hard drive is ever intended to be replaced, that doesn't mean it's not possible. You're blinded by your fanboyism that you're seeing aspects that aren't there. Look back to the original announcements of the PS3 and Xbox Slim, internal hard drive, not meant to be replaced. You can open up the PS3 and Xbox S hard drive slot because they need that for it to be repaired. .
It's in their manual. Not for repair but to upgrade if you so choose and they outline how the user and owner of the system can do so, step by step.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...isk-drive-(hdd)

That's not him being a fanboy, that's just the fact of the matter.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
How can you say the Xbox One won't be allowed to be opened? That's pretty ridiculous. You've never touched one, but you're feeling confident to make an assertion already.

No internal hard drive is ever intended to be replaced, that doesn't mean it's not possible. You're blinded by your fanboyism that you're seeing aspects that aren't there. Look back to the original announcements of the PS3 and Xbox Slim, internal hard drive, not meant to be replaced. You can open up the PS3 and Xbox S hard drive slot because they need that for it to be repaired.

On you're second part, about the YLOD, I have to laugh at that. That's the same, half-assed, homebrewed fix that people had for RROD. The only way to professionally fix those without sending them in is to open them up and fix them, with guides online that fix them for real. I know someone who fixed them on the side, and those quick fix methods were all ********, they were temporary.
If it was only meant for repairs, wouldn't it be okay for them to open up the system and replace it there, instead of allowing others to do so? Also, if it says it's not replaceable, then it is internal. Anywhere on the One, do you see an opening or a slot that you could open up and take out a hard drive without voiding the warranty? Let me put it this way, if it wasn't meant to be replaced, then why does it not void the warranty when you do so? Why make it so that you can go out and buy either 3rd party or official hard drives for the system and install it yourself if it "wasn't meant to be that way"?

Also, from the people I've read that did the oven trick with the PS3 and did work afterwards, wasn't temporary, and worked fine from then on. I may be a Sony fan boy, but the idea that you believe that the RROD wasn't anymore of a problem as the YLOD, then you really are lost. For those so-called announcements on non-removable hard drives that you're talking about, instead of making someone else go out and find what you're talking about, you provide the links to back up your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
It's in their manual. Not for repair but to upgrade if you so choose and they outline how the user and owner of the system can do so, step by step.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...isk-drive-(hdd)

That's not him being a fanboy, that's just the fact of the matter.
What he said.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Old
05-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Do a Swedish account (you can do three n00b accounts in addition to your normal one), download the Youtube app from there, sign in with your normal account, you can still use it.

As for the all entertainment features not being available here, we can thank localization and the Finnish copyright hound Teosto for that.
I know how to get the apps...UK side is better but the comment is that they should be there in the first place without some extra work.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I like the kinect stuff. I'm not sure how well it'll ever be implemented outside of a really nice video chat, but I'm curious to see where it goes.

The television/social stuff is fine, but not a selling point for me. If I was interested in the system, I'd want it to be more like an extra medium fry that McDonald's accidentally packed with my meal, but not the meal itself.

All of the anti-piracy stuff is a big turnoff to me. I don't think people swapping games is a big deal, nor the folks who take their game to their buddy's house. I don't want to get into a big, offtopic convo about used games, but I think their problems are also overstated.

I hate the looks of it. VCRs are not retro cool to me.

So a lot of wait and see, but underwhelmed. E3 should be interesting.

05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not interested in TV or the cable stuff (being from Canada, I doubt I will be able to take advantage of any of that). I am interested in being able to use Netflix and other services without having to pay an additional fee. I love my 360, but I really hope Sony buries them this generation.

Between Live, MS Points that you have to buy in specific amounts, and charging to install a game on another account, it seems like they're just trying to figure out how much ******** consumers will put up with.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I'm not interested in TV or the cable stuff (being from Canada, I doubt I will be able to take advantage of any of that). I am interested in being able to use Netflix and other services without having to pay an additional fee. I love my 360, but I really hope Sony buries them this generation.

Between Live, MS Points that you have to buy in specific amounts, and charging to install a game on another account, it seems like they're just trying to figure out how much ******** consumers will put up with.
Actually, they got rid of the MS Points. But yeah, I really think they are trying to push the limits to see how much ******** people will eat up.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Actually, they got rid of the MS Points. But yeah, I really think they are trying to push the limits to see how much ******** people will eat up.
That's good to hear. Still, I don't like their approach of "this is what you want, but this is what we think you will learn to love".

Old
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
I believe those would be the biggest concerns and possible turn offs for consumers. Forced online activation with consoles I find is a big deal. It's been a normal thing with PCs, but the great trade off is that usually PC games are constantly updated via the launcher (Steam, Origin, etc) and are also usually on sale for WAY cheaper than the console counterparts (which I don't think will happen still with consoles, as in getting cheaper).
Console games are frequently updated too. A onetime activation isn't a huge deal, I would like if it were possible to avoid that, but with the amount of piracy I could also understand publishers wanting it. I'd rather a onetime activation than an online pass like EA did, lesser of two evils.

Quote:
Have to be online at least once every 24 hours I find is just weak sauce. There are places without internet in the world, Microsoft. I guess in a way, Adam Orth's ideals were similar to MS.
Do you really expect someone without access to basic internet, enough to validate a game's authenticity, to be buying a $500 console?

Quote:
The massive TV/services strategy over gaming could definitely turn off the hardcore gamers, mainly because when people buy consoles, they buy them for the #1, which is games.
People also like to get their money's worth when they buy things. If gaming is roughly equal all things considered but you get all this other stuff for your money, the purchase is a no brainer to the average consumer. Especially ones that want a TV experience their provider isn't giving them. It looks like a good design, no idea how it will be executed of course.

Quote:
Not everyone has HDMI connections. I know I do, but not everyone does. Think of a poor kid in a dorm that is there on loans and all he has is still a tube TV and a friend brings over their One, and nope can't play. I'm sure the whole thing is going to be phased out eventually, but not for a long while.
http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfury-gamer/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
B.S.

Car manufactures lose a lot of money because of Auto Trader.

Home builders lose a lot of money because of Real Estate Agents.
Do you know anything about real estate? For that matter, comparing game sales to car sales which are 1000 times cheaper?

Quote:
It sounds like a trading program will be built into xbox live, sort of like the Kindle does with books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Can someone ban this guy from this thread? He has proven time and time again to be too immature to actually have a discussion.
I would hope not, he's one of the only people in here trying to keep the negative posters from confusing honest people about the new consoles. Complaining about things which are just straight up rumors or don't matter and generally hating the xbox before it even was announced.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I would hope not, he's one of the only people in here trying to keep the negative posters from confusing honest people about the new consoles. Complaining about things which are just straight up rumors or don't matter and generally hating the xbox before it even was announced.
Honest posters? He can't even get the purpose of replacing a hard drive correct for current gen consoles. Microsoft themselves said it couldn't be replaced. Also, how is getting interviews with Phil Harrison and quoting what he says (and including others from MS) considering rumors when they come straight from their mouths?

Sorry, had to edit the one word there.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

It's become pretty abundantly clear to me that i'm no longer Microsoft's target audience. I have zero interest in TV on Xbox, zero interest in anything Kinect, XBL is still a paid service and the whole tying games to XBL profiles really rubs me the wrong way. I also don't like the idea of having a camera in my living room that is connected to an always-on device. I'm aware I can cover the lens, but that doesn't do anything about the microphone.

Looks like i'll be steering clear of this one. It's a shame too, because I generally prefer Microsoft's hardware over Sony.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Microsoft's target audience is money.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
As is with every company, but some show that they want it a little more than others.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Console games are frequently updated too. A onetime activation isn't a huge deal, I would like if it were possible to avoid that, but with the amount of piracy I could also understand publishers wanting it. I'd rather a onetime activation than an online pass like EA did, lesser of two evils.

Do you really expect someone without access to basic internet, enough to validate a game's authenticity, to be buying a $500 console?

People also like to get their money's worth when they buy things. If gaming is roughly equal all things considered but you get all this other stuff for your money, the purchase is a no brainer to the average consumer. Especially ones that want a TV experience their provider isn't giving them. It looks like a good design, no idea how it will be executed of course.

http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfury-gamer/

Do you know anything about real estate? For that matter, comparing game sales to car sales which are 1000 times cheaper?

It sounds like a trading program will be built into xbox live, sort of like the Kindle does with books.

Well considering that I own my own home and I sold my old house to buy it, yes I do.

I already gave additional examples of Books, Blu-Ray's, DVD's and CD's too.

It amazes me that people actually think that video game companies are somehow different from other industries and will actually make this absurd argument on their behalf. I guess they have been successful in conditioning some of their customers.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Honest posters? He can't even get the purpose of replacing a hard drive correct for current gen consoles. Microsoft themselves said it couldn't be removed. Also, how is getting interviews with Phil Harrison and quoting what he says (and including others from MS) considering rumors when they come straight from their mouths?
Yeah, ignore the rest of my post and go right to this.

You've had a grudge against MS since the start of this as far as I've seen, illogical one from my perspective. But fine, that's your prerogative. But you're 100% speculating someone couldn't get to the internal hard drive if they wanted to and clone it onto a larger drive. When frankly, it doesn't matter if you can or can't get to it since space won't be an issue thanks to the external stuff.

I'd rather a 500 internal than the $150 custom fit 120gb hard drive they peddled before. For $150 I could buy a 2TB WD external usb 3.0 drive.

You've also been pushing this DRM and used game stuff as if it were already written in stone. Keep some objectivity, the people who cried always on internet sure look silly now.

There hasn't even been a peep out of some of the biggest benefits for the xbox update. Going to x86 aligns the xbox with Win8 and WP8. Developers could theoretically develop for all platforms simultaneously, creating a better experience everywhere for everyone.

The Azure stuff brought up before could be a huge differentiator between Live and PSN. Not only with multiplayer implications but even single player.

There's this ridiculous stigma attached to MS by a generation slighted by them that can't seem to grow up and it's pretty pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Well considering that I own my own home and I sold my old house to buy it, yes I do.

I already gave additional examples of Books, Blu-Ray's, DVD's and CD's too.

It amazes me that people actually think that video game companies are somehow different from other industries and will actually make this absurd argument on their behalf. I guess they have been successful in conditioning some of their customers.
Real estate agents aren't there to take money from people, they are there to handle the point to point sale of property and represent their clients so they don't get abused on the market by lying sellers or buyers. They know the people needed to get the job done right. They themselves only see a fraction of the closing costs that home owners think they get, it's actually quite sad how many people think real estate agents get rich off the sales. Between taxes they pay on it, the 75% going to other parties, they themselves don't see a whole lot after spending sometimes more than a month working with someone, during hours that suit them (nights, weekends, etc).

If the extra income going to publishers benefits the consumer in the end, it's worth it. If not, you'll find publishers with draconian terms get lowered sales. What's funny is people think that the xbox will be the only console dealing with this. If publishers can implement a native restriction on used game sales, it will prevent them from using other things like online passes, which they will implement on PS4 if Sony doesn't offer them support natively.

So it isn't going to be just the xbox doing this and frankly, I trust xbox to handle it better than Sony after their brilliant hacking problem.

I think the Kinect problems are fair, I keep mine turned around all the time since I'm sure one day someone will fine a way to bypass their security once they are in every room in the house. I haven't yet made my decision on whether I like it or not, but I do know it is nice to use sometimes and annoying during others.

Last edited by Lonewolfe2015: 05-22-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 11:50 AM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Alienating your core fans that got you to where you are under the guise of trying to widen appeal is not going to bring them more money, just a more fickle audience that will move on once the "new" feeling wears off.

Closed Thread