HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 10:24 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov 2m

Nichushkin and his posse claim that the #Canes and the #Lightning have shown interest in the Russian prospect. #NHLDraft2013
You'd assume interest will only increase now, but I'm sure all teams in the top 10-15 will be interviewing and researching him.

Really happy about Nich coming over, that guarantees a good pick for us.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
edit: speaking of tournaments this is what Al Murray, the Lightning's head scout, had to say about him at the Five Nations Tournament
"That's maybe the most dominant performance I've ever seen at a tournament. He absolutely took over. He was a combination of (Alex) Ovechkin and (Evgeni) Malkin. He was in on the forecheck. He was finishing checks. He was making plays. He scored big goals. He never quit on a shift, and he was just spectacular."
That sounds terrible. Would probably take Horcoff years to teach him the virtues of the fly-by stick wave. Seriously though, that's some pretty high praise.

Like has been repeated ad nauseum - I'm excited by this news as it essentially guarantees us one of Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, or Nichushkin.

A

Old
05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 31s
Valeri Nichushkin tells RSport.ru he has decided to transfer to North America. Dynamo in the KHL have no issues terminating his contract.

I seriously don't understand this crap between KHL and NHL transfers.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Cerebral

This is a game-changer when it comes to the draft. We're now guaranteed a choice of one of the centremen (Monahan, Lindholm, or Barkov) or the big Russian winger.

I was previously thinking we'd be choosing between a third tier forward (Lazar, Domi, Horvat) or one of the 2nd tier defencemen (Zadorov, Nurse, Ristolainen) but Nichuskin coming over changes everything.

Nichuskin could be a great fit in Edmonton but I doubt he even lasts until our pick now that he's no longer locked in to the KHL.

joestevens29

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 1m
Interesting. Via Google translate, Nichushkin says that both TB and NSH are interested in him.

Wonder if Willis is mistaken.

Old
oil Leaks
Unit 01

If Nichushkin rumors are true and Tampa picks Nichushkin at 4, I still see Barkov going to the Preds due ti their need at center. Hopefully the Canes pick Drouin, which is BPA and make sense since the already have both Eric and Jordan staal as their centers.Which leaves the Oilers with either Monahan or Lindholm. Lets hope Calgary goes off the board and picks Domi.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:42 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I could see the flames potentially drafting Hunter Shinkaruk at the 6 spot. He's a Calgary native and almost put up 50 goals in the WHL as a 16 year old.
I still think they go off tangent and go this route.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Interesting. Via Google translate, Nichushkin says that both TB and NSH are interested in him.

In the Russian article, Nichushkin mentions Nashville and Tampa. dchesnokov says Nich's grandfather said Tampa and Carolina.

Regardless, fingers crossed he goes before us.

COL - Jones
FLO - MacKinnon
TBL - Drouin
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Nichushkin
CGY - Monahan/Lindholm
EDM - "Consolation"

Revised view of how I see things going.

Last edited by Soli: 05-22-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 10:45 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Didn't Galiev also say the day before the draft that the Oilers were taking him if he fell out of the 1st round? Not only did they pass on him 3 times in the 2nd round, but they didn't take him in the 3rd either.

I wouldn't put ANY stock into what a player says about teams that could be interested in him.

Galiev said what he did to get a team to take him in the 1st round, and no doubt Nichushkin is saying and doing the things he's doing the last couple of days in an effort to improve his draft stock as well. I personally don't think this changes anything. Tampa Bay, Nashville, or even Edmonton are no more likely to take him now with their 1st picks than they were two days ago.

05-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:

Doubt it, both teams have needs for a guy like him. Tampa could stand to get bigger, and Nashville is DESPERATE for skill.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Lindo

This is huge for us. Any team ahead of us taking him helps our pick out.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

This is perfect for us. Now we're all but guaranteed one of Monahan or lindholm if anyone takes Nichushkin, both of which would be excellent picks for us. Worst case is no one does and we end up with Nichushkin himself and if he's coming over now then that's not much to complain about.

Such a deep draft, our 7th must be equivalent to a 3rd or 4th overall in a normal year.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
In the Russian article, Nichushkin mentions Nashville and Tampa. dchesnokov says Nich's grandfather said Tampa and Carolina.

Regardless, fingers crossed he goes before us.

COL - Jones
FLO - MacKinnon
TBL - Drouin
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Nichushkin
CGY - Monahan/Lindholm
EDM - "Consolation"

Revised view of how I see things going.
The Avs are taking MacKinnon and moving Stastny. Book it.

Could see Tampa going with Barkov as a winger - at least to start his career. Drouin likely to Nashville and maybe Nichushkin to Carolina. Will be interesting.

Last edited by Hemsky4PM: 05-22-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Toydarian

I'm still hoping (but not expecting) for Monahan. It all hinges on what CAR and, to a lesser extent, CGY do.

I can't see TBL passing on Drouin, he is arguably the most skilled player in the draft with the highest offensive potential. I don't think NSH passes on the opportunity to draft a skilled centre; they are well aware of the problems and hindrances of lacking a no.1 centre. CAR is a little harder to gauge, but they don't have a history drafting Russians and are hesitant to draft defensemen in the top 10. Also, with their close connection to the Plymouth Whalers, they seem to favour the OHL more often then not. I think we are all hoping CGY goes off the board like in 2012, but I seriously doubt that happens. They are well aware of the size and skill at centre in their division next season and will be looking to add someone with potential to compete against those players.

Last edited by Toydarian: 05-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
doubledown99

Wow that makes things interesting......

Based on Feasters comments about there only being 4 franchise players in this draft I think Calgary trading up to Tampa/Nsh is a distinct possibility. They have the extra 1st rders to make it happen.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Doubt it, both teams have needs for a guy like him. Tampa could stand to get bigger, and Nashville is DESPERATE for skill.
Would NSH go through the whole Radulov situation again?

Old
05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
BowDangles

Which current NHLer is a good comparasion to what Lindholm projects to be?

I haven't heard much about him, says he is 5"11 and 180ish pounds.

Sounds like a swedish version of Sam Gagner..

Old
05-22-2013, 11:08 AM
doubledown99

How I can see things playing out....Flames trade 6th overall and Pens 1st for 4th overall.

Col Jones
Fla Mack
Tmp Nichuskin
Cal Barkov
Car Drouin
Nsh Lindholm
Edm Monahan

Old
05-22-2013, 11:09 AM
BowDangles

I am actually quite worried that Nish will be there at 7 and Oilers will trade down for another draft pick...

I see it as there should only be two situations. The first being drafting Monahon/Lindholm if they are there and the second being if those two are not there, trade the pick in a package for immediate help.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:12 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
How I can see things playing out....Flames trade 6th overall and Pens 1st for 4th overall.

Col Jones
Fla Mack
Tmp Nichuskin
Cal Barkov
Car Drouin
Nsh Lindholm
Edm Monahan
Assuming Calgary makes that trade and they teams line up like this, I doubt Tampa passes on Drouin to pick Nishuskin.

I see it more like this under those circumstances.

Col Jones
Fla Mack
Tam Drouin
Cal Barkov
Car Nishukin
Nsh Monahan
Edm Lindholm

I think the top 4 prospects are basically a lock. When it comes down to selecting between Lindholm/Monahan I think most teams would pick the bigger centre in Monahon as well...

Old
05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Starscream

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Didn't Galiev also say the day before the draft that the Oilers were taking him if he fell out of the 1st round? Not only did they pass on him 3 times in the 2nd round, but they didn't take him in the 3rd either.

I wouldn't put ANY stock into what a player says about teams that could be interested in him.

Galiev said what he did to get a team to take him in the 1st round, and no doubt Nichushkin is saying and doing the things he's doing the last couple of days in an effort to improve his draft stock as well. I personally don't think this changes anything. Tampa Bay, Nashville, or even Edmonton are no more likely to take him now with their 1st picks than they were two days ago.
I actually said that at the time, I knew his billets and that's what he told them. He didn't have a good grasp of the English language back then, so maybe something got lost in translation with him at the time. But that is what he told his billets at the time.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 31s
Valeri Nichushkin tells RSport.ru he has decided to transfer to North America. Dynamo in the KHL have no issues terminating his contract.

I seriously don't understand this crap between KHL and NHL transfers.
Moscow just paid $10M to get his rights and now they have "no issues terminating his contract"?

The KHL is a weird place haha.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at any of the top 10 teams interviewing/scouting Nich.

Didn't the Oilers fly in Grigorenko or Galchenyuk or somebody besides Yak and Murray?

Old
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Which current NHLer is a good comparasion to what Lindholm projects to be?

I haven't heard much about him, says he is 5"11 and 180ish pounds.

Sounds like a swedish version of Sam Gagner..
You have to wait for the combine for more accurate physical numbers.
There is SO much wrong information out there. That was probably his 16 year old numbers.

Elite Prospects has him at 6' 192 lbs. He's been compared to Forsberg in Sweden. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sweden-...184824712.html

He seems like a pretty complete player. The only question I have is whether or not he's really a centre or a winger. He apparently plays more wing in the SEL.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Not sure why anyone would be surprised at any of the top 10 teams interviewing/scouting Nich.

Didn't the Oilers fly in Grigorenko or Galchenyuk or somebody besides Yak and Murray?
They flew in Grigorenko, and his sweet Canada Polo.

Closed Thread