HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
From who? He hasn't been drafted yet. I doubt Nichushkin has that kind of coin to buy himself out.
He was getting anywhere from 500k to 2m depending on what site you read. He's not buying out the deal at a 1/1 rate

Old
05-22-2013, 12:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Pretty sure I read Dynamo will be getting 10 miion dollars for this
From who?

Old
05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Maybe he wants to come to NA more than originally thought at first.

Why would the organization that owns his KHL rights fight him if he really wants to go NA? They risk pissing him off considerably so if he fails off the bat he might pick another team upon his return to Russia. They also risk not only losing him immediately but down the road as well should he choose to go back to the KHL for a few years before his retirement.

If he's really serious, he could just bail anyway and possibly not be available for international competition.

If they were going to lose him anyway, why create bad blood and animosity.
There's an agreement between the NHL and KHL now that honor each others contracts. The NHL wouldn't allow him to play if he still had an existing contract with the KHL.

It happened to Visnovsky earlier this year during that whole fiasco. After the lockout ended his KHL team couldn't play him.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Krishna

I know Dynamo paid traktor 3m for nichushkin, so he may have to pay that back over x amount of years

Old
05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
There's an agreement between the NHL and KHL now that honor each others contracts. The NHL wouldn't allow him to play if he still had an existing contract with the KHL.

It happened to Visnovsky earlier this year during that whole fiasco. After the lockout ended his KHL team couldn't play him.
Forgot that we settled the transfer agreement.

That said, not like it mattered for Radulov.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Forgot that we settled the transfer agreement.

That said, not like it mattered for Radulov.
Radulov was before there was an agreement set in place.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Flyers2point0

Wouldn't surprise me if he was playing through some sort of minor injury with the way that kid plays. The team as a whole is struggling, that doesn't mean that Zadorov sucks now or that we should give up on Stolarz as a prospect. They're young and inexperienced. The whole team seems to be in a funk lately so I'm not surprised their play has gone downhill. I'd still prefer him over a safe pick who didn't even make it this far into the post season. There's a lot of pressure on these kids right now but they can still grow and learn from the experience.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I know Dynamo paid traktor 3m for nichushkin, so he may have to pay that back over x amount of years
Wouldn't the deal just become void and Dymano gets the money back from Traktor?

I doubt Dynamo gets $10M back from this. I don't who would be paying them that kind of money?

My guess for the whole thing with the buy-out after a year Dynamo figured it was a forgone conclusion that he would be leaving early and figured their time and resources would be better spent elsewhere. I don't think they did it because looking out for the well being of Nichushkin. I just figured there would be a little more of a fight than that.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Wouldn't the deal just become void and Dymano gets the money back from Traktor?

I doubt Dynamo gets $10M back from this. I don't who would be paying them that kind of money?

My guess for the whole thing with the buy-out after a year Dynamo figured it was a forgone conclusion that he would be leaving early and figured their time and resources would be better spent elsewhere. I don't think they did it because looking out for the well being of Nichushkin. I just figured there would be a little more of a fight than that.
I doubt they can void it now

Old
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

If Tampa Bay is seriously that high on him that's good news for Nashville that one of Drouin, MacKinnon, or Jones falls to them.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 10m
Valeri Nichushkin tells RSport.ru he has decided to transfer to North America. Dynamo in the KHL have no issues terminating his contract.

Nichuskin probably jumped back into the guaranteed top 5 again
If what is reported is true then there is no way he slips out of the top five or six. But if he drops to 11 ( no way), he has to be selected. Depending who is available at #11 Homer has to pick, either Samuel Morin, Joshua Morrissey or Kerby Rychel.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
DecadesofFutility

We need to stop looking for a possible Shea Weber (Nurse, Zadarov) and accept a possible Ryan Sutter.

Morrisey or Pulock should be our pick at 11 , we need a PMD.
We need an offensive defenseman not more of the same.
We need a defenseman that can skate and run a powerplay.

We have no need for more defensive defensemen; Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, are enough of that brand.

We have no one to move the puck out of our zone except Timmo.
Gustafsson is a second or third pairing PMD only.

This total disregard for an essential element to playing Lavi's offensive scheme is ridiculous.

No more centers need to be drafted as our 1st round pick.
We have too many already, we should trade one of our young centers and a pick for PMD.

If we draft offense again, and do not trade for a PMD then, I give up hope with Holmgren as our GM.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
We need to stop looking for a possible Shea Weber (Nurse, Zadarov) and accept a possible Ryan Sutter.

We have no need for more defensive defensemen; Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, are enough of that brand.

This total disregard for an essential element to playing Lavi's offensive scheme is ridiculous.

We have too many already, we should trade one of our young centers and a pick for PMD.

If we draft offense again, and do not trade for a PMD then, I give up hope with Holmgren as our GM.
That's not one of his strengths.

We could always use a player of Weber's caliber too. We saw what a number 1 defensemen can do when Pronger was here.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
DecadesofFutility

Meltzer thinks he is the best option after Jones, for the Flyers.

I know Pulock is not a great skater like Jones and Morrisey.
He does have a great slap shot and can carry the puck.

I think Morrisey is a bit of a bigger gamble than Pulock.
I just think he is a bit smallish for the NHL in my opinion.

Rasmus Ristolanien was still available at 11, I would take him as well.
I do not expect him to score a lot as a NHL defenseman but he would atleast qualify as a good PMD.

I am not enamored with 1st round projects as defensemen.
Hoping a two way defenseman or defensive defenseman develops a
offensive game is like waiting for Coburn to become Weber.

I hope we draft the next Weber, but I pray we don't draft the next
Cam Barker.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Prongo
Beer

If Nichuskin is still there at maybe 7-8 I think the Flyers should use their 2nd rounder and move up to get him. He could be one of the better players coming from this draft, and even with reports, still might drop some.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Meltzer thinks he is the best option after Jones, for the Flyers.

I know Pulock is not a great skater like Jones and Morrisey.
He does have a great slap shot and can carry the puck.

I think Morrisey is a bit of a bigger gamble than Pulock.
I just think he is a bit smallish for the NHL in my opinion.

Rasmus Ristolanien was still available at 11, I would take him as well.
I do not expect him to score a lot as a NHL defenseman but he would atleast qualify as a good PMD.

I am not enamored with 1st round projects as defensemen.
Hoping a two way defenseman or defensive defenseman develops a
offensive game is like waiting for Coburn to become Weber.

I hope we draft the next Weber, but I pray we don't draft the next
Cam Barker.
I wouldn't call Morrissey a gamble. If you're drafting him, you're drafting with the expectation that he's probably two seasons away before competing for a roster spot. During that time, you're talking about a guy who is currently 6 feet and 3 quarter inches tall and weighing in at 185 pounds. By the time he's 20, there's no reason to think he can't hit one more growth spurt and get to 6'2 and 200 pounds. That's a good size defenseman.

In terms of Pulock's shot, he might have a fast and hard slap shot, but Morrissey is no slouch in that department either. You have to remember that Pulock also has 30 pounds on Morrissey and that once Morrissey adds that extra bit of muscle to his frame, his shot will be just as impressive as Pulock's.

Morrissey's skating is also miles and miles ahead of Pulock's (Morrissey has been labelled the best skater of all the defensemen this year) and he plays a physical game (he's probably one of the best open ice hitters and he's got a mean streak a mile wide). Morrissey is also miles ahead of Pulock defensively and he's only going to get better and better once he puts on a few more pounds.

I'd love to see the Flyers draft Morrissey and after watching Morrissey at the U18 tournament playing against his peers, he really stood out. To me, Morrissey's high end could be real special. I know comparisons are often thrown around, but I view Morrissey as a more physical Oliver Ekman-Larsson or a Drew Doughty type of defenseman.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:

You don`t draft for need, you draft for the Best Player available or the player the Flyers brass are highest on......

Old
05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
You don`t draft for need, you draft for the Best Player available or the player the Flyers brass are highest on......
This is certainly the year the Flyers can draft for need because there are numerous defensemen available. For instance, if the pick comes down to say Hunter Shinkaruk or Rasmus Ristolainen, I'd certainly hope that Ristolainen is their choice because he's a need. Is Shinkaruk the better player? Maybe, but the Flyers have plenty of Shinkaruks (who's a center) when you look at Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Laughton.

The difference between BPA and Need this year is not that great at all. This is the perfect year to draft a need.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:

Well, Zadorov can sure skate better than most of the great players on the ice in the MemCup. He's been joining the rush at every opportunity.

Although they got killed last night, he was skating. He went in his corner, hit his man, got the puck up to the winger and was already exiting the zone in about two strides to join the rush. He plays the power play. He hits. He has great passing skills and a hard shot.

Dave Hunter compared him to Larry Robinson. You'd have to think hard about passing up a talent like that.

That said, size isn't everything. The best players last night were smaller guys like Boyle, Voynov, Krug and DelZotto.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:46 PM
DecadesofFutility

I do not subscribe to the draft BPA theory,especially with this management team.
In a perfect world you draft the best player on your board.
Because you have good prospects for offensive and defensive players.
There is no way a center is always the BPA when you pick.

The proof of drafting wrongly year after year is the lack of any decent top end defensive prospects.
A balanced farm system does not consist of only top line centers.

But in real life you need to be flexible and think to the future.
You need to draft for need, you need to recognize your weakness and plan for retirement of older players.

Our Management Team has a win now mentality and a track record of losing.
It is time to change this backward thinking.
They build this team backwardly from the offense in - instead of from the goal crease out.

Their Plan to continue to draft centers to trade for #2 defensemen is the definition of insanity.

Stop the Insanity!!!
I would prefer to develop our own PMD but since we have none, I suggest we must trade some of our extra centers for a PMD.
It will cost us more of our current assets but, we need a PMD now.

In addition to stop the Cycle of Insanity I suggest we draft a PMD #1 so we have something useful when Timmo retires.
And continue to draft a Defenseman #1, atleast once every 3 years to supply us with a more balanced farm roster.

Last edited by DecadesofFutility: 05-22-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This is certainly the year the Flyers can draft for need because there are numerous defensemen available. For instance, if the pick comes down to say Hunter Shinkaruk or Rasmus Ristolainen, I'd certainly hope that Ristolainen is their choice because he's a need. Is Shinkaruk the better player? Maybe, but the Flyers have plenty of Shinkaruks (who's a center) when you look at Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Laughton.

The difference between BPA and Need this year is not that great at all. This is the perfect year to draft a need.
I am not a Shinkaruk fan, i think he will be a good NHL player but IMO I would rather have RR, he has top pairing potential and could be a bigger, better version of Niklas Kronwall but I understand what you are saying.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Jtown

I fear if we draft for need we will screw up this draft. I see Rasmus being a luca sbisa type, Zadorov as a project and Pulock being a one trick powerplay poney. When you look at horvat i see him being a top 9 forward with room to grow. Mantha as a potential top 6 power forward, and Domi and Shinkaruk as skilled wingers in the model of kane and st. louis.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
If Tampa Bay is seriously that high on him that's good news for Nashville that one of Drouin, MacKinnon, or Jones falls to them.
I can't see Jones or MacKinnon falling out of the top two spots.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I can't see Jones or MacKinnon falling out of the top two spots.
I don't think so either but if MacKinnon goes #1 it could really mess it up.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Curufinwe

That would makes things really interesting. I can't wait for draft day.

Closed Thread