HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers at WC 2013

Old
05-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Fate is a cruel mistress, Beef. Try being Canadian and rejoicing in Crosby's gold-winning goal.
I would combust. This model of human isn't designed for that sort of contradiction.

05-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
It's almost kind of funny.

Gustafsson didn't look like anything special playing for Terry Murray's Phantoms. Injuries started happening, he gets promoted, and his game goes from stagnating to hyperactive. It was a similar situation with Schenn. Struggled early, but continued to improve as the season went on. Chalking this up to the leadership of Timonen (Gustafsson) and Pronger (Schenn).
I admit he did not look fantastic under Murray, but he was by far the best D man on the Phantoms, as he has been since he joined them in 09-10. On one of the worst AHL teams he has put up 95 points in 144 games in the AHL, with very little help on the backend, and been named to the AHL all star team twice in three years.

Tbh I was worried about his D in the NHL, but he has been very good, with steady increase in minutes, and now has arguably just been the No.1 D man on a world champ team... he played 3 more mins a game on average than any other Swedish D man through the tourney. I know the level is not fantastic, but he has had a great year and hopefully can build on in and be a top 4 D man from now on.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I admit he did not look fantastic under Murray, but he was by far the best D man on the Phantoms, as he has been since he joined them in 09-10. On one of the worst AHL teams he has put up 95 points in 144 games in the AHL, with very little help on the backend, and been named to the AHL all star team twice in three years.

Tbh I was worried about his D in the NHL, but he has been very good, with steady increase in minutes, and now has arguably just been the No.1 D man on a world champ team... he played 3 more mins a game on average than any other Swedish D man through the tourney. I know the level is not fantastic, but he has had a great year and hopefully can build on in and be a top 4 D man from now on.
I don't like these notions that the level of competition in the World Championships is subpar.

Sure, it's not the Olympics, but a lot of the teams Gus was going up against were icing All-Star first lines. He was the main guy responsible for facing off against the best that Canada, USA, Russia, Slovakia, Finland, the Czech Republic, Germany, etc had to offer. The quality of play Gus experienced was at least NHL level if not far greater because of the kind of minutes he was logging against All-Star opponents.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The talent level for this tourney wasnt that high, but that is still an amazing stat.

Depends on the opponent. In the QFs against Canada, these were the lines Sweden was facing:

Ladd - Giroux - Stamkos
Read - E. Staal - Simmonds
Duchene - J. Staal - Eberle
Hall - O'Reilly - Skinner

Hamhuis - Robidas
Harrison - Subban
Campbell - L. Schenn
Dillon - Schultz

M. Smith
[Dubnyk]

Gustafsson ended up playing 33:27 against that team.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
FlyersFan61290

And we all know that the Swiss had a pretty good team too. In fact I would argue that the final 8 all had good teams. They obviously aren't as good as they could be/will be in the Olympics next year but there was plenty of high quality competition. Sucks that he's got about zero chance of making the Olympic team next yr though.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
And we all know that the Swiss had a pretty good team too. In fact I would argue that the final 8 all had good teams. They obviously aren't as good as they could be/will be in the Olympics next year but there was plenty of high quality competition. Sucks that he's got about zero chance of making the Olympic team next yr though.
He's been added to the long list of wildcards. Per Mårts loves D with excellent movability and smarts, Gustafsson showed a lot of that this tournament. I don't know how he's looked for you guys in the NHL but big ice really suited him. If he plays well next season and outperforms guys like Jonas Brodin and Niklas Hjalmarsson (two of Mårts favorites), then he should have a shot. Gustafsson also showed great attitude all tournament.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:03 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
He's been added to the long list of wildcards. Per Mårts loves D with excellent movability and smarts, Gustafsson showed a lot of that this tournament. I don't know how he's looked for you guys in the NHL but big ice really suited him. If he plays well next season and outperforms guys like Jonas Brodin and Niklas Hjalmarsson (two of Mårts favorites), then he should have a shot. Gustafsson also showed great attitude all tournament.
I just figured since you have the Kronwall brothers, Karlsson, Edler, OEL, Enstrom and a bunch of other guys like Tallinder, Brodin, Rundblad, Hjalmarsson and Granberg looking to fill any voids with Gus that he really didn't have a true shot.

Anyway Gus was very good for us down the stretch. With some many injuries on D (Grossmann, Coburn, Meszaros and Timonen) Gus was playing over 24 minutes a night down the stretch and didnt look out of place one bit. He finished with just over 20 for the season but was averaging above 18 even before the injuries.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:12 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I just figured since you have the Kronwall brothers, Karlsson, Edler, OEL, Enstrom and a bunch of other guys like Tallinder, Brodin, Rundblad, Hjalmarsson and Granberg looking to fill any voids with Gus that he really didn't have a true shot.

Anyway Gus was very good for us down the stretch. With some many injuries on D (Grossmann, Coburn, Meszaros and Timonen) Gus was playing over 24 minutes a night down the stretch and didnt look out of place one bit. He finished with just over 20 for the season but was averaging above 18 even before the injuries.
Forgot Hedman too.

Sweden is absolutely stacked on the backend.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:33 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Forgot Hedman too.

Knew I was missing someone, thanks. Unless there are some major injuries I really can't see Gus making the team.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Knew I was missing someone, thanks. Unless there are some major injuries I really can't see Gus making the team.
I saw every game and I think Gustafsson was stellar in this tournament. I was not really that familiar with him before but it was a pleasure watching him play. IMO he could have easily been selected to the all-star team but it didn't happen. I would say that he is definitely in the discussion for the Olympics right now. Assuming there are no injuries we will have Karlsson, OEL, Kronwall and probably Hedman as top 4 D. Edler will probably not be available due to his suspension and that leaves Brodin, Enstrom, Tallinder, Hjalmarsson and Gustafsson to fight for the last spots (Tallinder and Gustafsson showed that they were a lot better than S.Kronwall and Granberg when playing against Canada in this tournament). I don't think these guys are way ahead of Gustafsson at all. Also, it needs to be considered that he showed in this tournament that he is able to play very good on big ice with team Sweden, this is historically important for the player selection for the Swedish team. They don't always go with the biggest names but rather with players that have been tested and that have shown that they are up for the task. I could easily see Gustafsson as no 5-6 right now and the guy that the others need to catch up come next season.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:33 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Fate is a cruel mistress, Beef. Try being Canadian and rejoicing in Crosby's gold-winning goal.
I don't think I've ever been so confused before when he scored

At first i jumped up and cheered, but then when I realized it was Crosby that scored, I got a little sick to my stomach

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:00 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

At first i jumped up and cheered, but then when I realized it was Crosby that scored, I got a little sick to my stomach
My exact response was Whooooohooo............... what the.............

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Forgot Hedman too.

adam larsson, douglas murray, johhny oduya, tim erixon, anton stralman, jonathan ericsson, grossman, carl gunnarsson...

goalies: lundqvist, fasth, markstrom, lehner, enroth, gustavsson, lindback, hedberg...

forwards:
sedin - sedin - eriksson
zetterberg - backstrom - franzen
hagelin - steen - landeskog
zibanejad - berglund - stalberg
silfvberg - kruger - alfredsson
hornqvist - johansson - backlund
nyqvist - andersson - mps

Last edited by landskronala: 05-22-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: sweden is stacked everywere!
TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:

I honestly don't understand reactions like this.

I don't hate Crosby like the majority of Flyers fans, but you should still be cheering for the crest on the front of the jersey. I hate(d) Dan Carcillo, but I certainly didn't feel sick to my stomach when he scored the OT winner against New Jersey in the 2010 run.

05-22-2013, 10:49 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I'm sure most American fans can somewhat relate to that when they had to cheer on Ryan Miller that whole tournament.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:47 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
Depends on the opponent. In the QFs against Canada, these were the lines Sweden was facing:

Ladd - Giroux - Stamkos
Read - E. Staal - Simmonds
Duchene - J. Staal - Eberle
Hall - O'Reilly - Skinner

Hamhuis - Robidas
Harrison - Subban
Campbell - L. Schenn
Dillon - Schultz

M. Smith
[Dubnyk]

Gustafsson ended up playing 33:27 against that team.
I brainfarted on the canadian roster. So my bad there. That said how did Canada not even medal with that roster? man even their "B" team is an impressive roster.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I brainfarted on the canadian roster. So my bad there. That said how did Canada not even medal with that roster? man even their "B" team is an impressive roster.
Henrik Sedin was quoted after the QF saying something along the lines of "If this was a best of 5 or 7, Canada wins 9 times out of 10. In a one game playoff, anything can happen."

It was an unfortunate QF matchup for Canada & Sweden due to the exceptional tournament of the Swiss. One good team packed their bags and was eliminated from medal contention.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Henrik Sedin was quoted after the QF saying something along the lines of "If this was a best of 5 or 7, Canada wins 9 times out of 10. In a one game playoff, anything can happen."

It was an unfortunate QF matchup for Canada & Sweden due to the exceptional tournament of the Swiss. One good team packed their bags and was eliminated from medal contention.
Exactly, and doubly so when it gets to a shootout.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:52 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
adam larsson, douglas murray, johhny oduya, tim erixon, anton stralman, jonathan ericsson, grossman, carl gunnarsson...

In terms of D I would say that at this point in time only Ericsson (I forgot him, almost a lock) and Gunnarsson (always underrated imo) are in the running amongst those I listed.

But half a season is a looong time in hockey and anything can happen, That said, if I could bet $10 on that Gustafsson will make it to about 2:1 odds I'd take it in a sec.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote