HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XL

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 11:23 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
TSN reports that Burmisterov or however you spell it wants out of Winnipeg. Any interest? He reportedly won't sign with the KHL.
Eh not that interested. He scored 1 more goal than Jordan Schroeder this past season, in 13 more games. He's a couple inches taller, but weighs less than Schroeder. For the amount of crap people give Schroeder, I don't understand why people would be interested in Burmistrov.

05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Eh not that interested. He scored 1 more goal than Jordan Schroeder this past season, in 13 more games. He's a couple inches taller, but weighs less than Schroeder. For the amount of crap people give Schroeder, I don't understand why people would be interested in Burmistrov.
Hey! You tried to trade him to me once in our fantasy league.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Probably but I'm sure the asking price is substantial.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. If we could get him cheap I'd be interested, but I doubt it.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Hey! You tried to trade him to me once in our fantasy league.

He had a hot streak one time, last year.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Jim Matheson reporting that Viktor Stalberg is looking for around $2.5 million this summer. If that's accurate at all, Canucks should be all over that.

Man I hope all this "Gillis covets size" talk is just talk. Given that he went hard after Derek Roy I don't think it's true but I'll be sad if Gillis isn't looking for skill upgrades.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Jim Matheson reporting that Viktor Stalberg is looking for around $2.5 million this summer. If that's accurate at all, Canucks should be all over that.

Man I hope all this "Gillis covets size" talk is just talk. Given that he went hard after Derek Roy I don't think it's true but I'll be sad if Gillis isn't looking for skill upgrades.
No the Canucks should not "be all over that." What is the obsession with Stalberg? I thought we were happy with Mason Raymond walking...why would we want a similarly ineffective player?

Old
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Year younger and has the better skill-set. Like Tiranis said though, the cost might be too high.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

People who think Stalberg and Raymond are similar players probably shouldn't be talking about hockey, period. Canucks fans are "obsessed" with Stalberg because he is probably the biggest 'buy low' candidate out there on the free agent market this summer.

As far as cheap but effective 4th liners go, Rob Klinkhammer did well in some very tough defensive minutes for Phoenix this season. He's unrestricted and you'd have to think an Albertan would rather play in Vancouver than go back to the Yotes.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
People who think Stalberg and Raymond are similar players probably shouldn't be talking about hockey, period. Canucks fans are "obsessed" with Stalberg because he is probably the biggest 'buy low' candidate out there on the free agent market this summer.

As far as cheap but effective 4th liners go, Rob Klinkhammer did well in some very tough defensive minutes for Phoenix this season. He's unrestricted and you'd have to think an Albertan would rather play in Vancouver than go back to the Yotes.
He also re-signed for two years.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:

I'd love Klinkhammer as a pickup and not just because he has one of the best names in the league.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Man, looking at all this cheap checking line talent that will be available this summer, re-signing Higgins might not have been the best move. We could probably get a similar player for $1M. Oh well.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He also re-signed for two years.
Blargh I was at a cabin for a few days, missed this.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
1 - On the Burrows thing, the first thing I do is employ a recently retired veteran referee to discuss how to fix our referee situation plus help us deal with referee situations in the future. He'd also help with referee tendencies and things of that nature. If he says Burrows isn't a problem, then trading Burrows only becomes a questions of what we can get for Burrows vs Booth, if he says Burrows is a problem that will haunt us with the refs going forward, I'd trade Burrows immediately...the same applies to other players.
Toews will not shut up about the refs thus far. Would you trade him if some moron insinuated officiating bias? What of Kesler? First and foremost, no consultant or veteran would ever acknowledge even slight bias due to Gillis and/or Aquilini using it as a catalyst to threaten the league. Give that to the media and unless NHL did a wholesale investigation and promptly fired a good portion of their refs, it would be a PR nightmare.

You are advocating we trade a quality player because the refs may dislike us. It is a ridiculous notion, especially since there is no certifiable evidence.

Quote:
2 - Disagree about your point on the SJ series. The calls discrepancy was enough to change the series completely...I have the penalties as +15 for SJ which is crazy.
And with the exception of game two, what suggests we were remotely the better team that the penalty discrepancy warranted a "complete series change?" Schneider was awful, our powerplay was awful and a good majority of the roster had no impact. Even if we did muscle a game out of that series, we were going to lose playing the way we did, refs or otherwise.

Quote:
4 - We can agree to disagree on the referee thing. I have a guy that gives me betting tips that does a lot of research on referees as one of his main betting metrics which he uses to great success. There are biases in the referees and they are there to be taken advantage of and the anti-Canucks bias of some referees is so unlikely that it is almost impossible that it's coincidence.
Except it is not universally exclusive to the Canucks. Toronto suffered terrible officiating, Montreal, Pittsburgh and Chicago even. We may see slightly more on a general average but the difference far from what you are implying.

Quote:
5 - Look at the whole Auger incident (and this is not a discussion about fair or not, just a point of view). Taking calls out on a player for prior incidents (make up calls) is pretty common in the NHL. Auger hammered Burrows for a dive he made in a prior game. Burrows complained in the media which eventually resulted in Auger losing his job. If one of your buddies got fired because someone ratted on him for say, taking a nap at the office, how would you treat the person that ratted them out in the future...probably not too well. It only makes sense that Auger's buddies would treat Burrows and the Canucks poorly after the incident.
Honestly? "If you're going to be a ******, probably best not to tell the guy." And I would wash my hands of it. If some idiot co-worker decides to blatantly voice his bias and has to deal with the ensuing and inevitable drama, I could care else. It is neither my concern nor my problem. I have a job to do and am not going to potentially jeopardize it to "get back" at someone who frankly, ratted out an idiot. And especially would not hold a now three year grudge.

And therein lies my biggest claim to the contrary. Three years? I've known girlfriends with less of an ax to grind in that length of time.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
TSN reports that Burmisterov or however you spell it wants out of Winnipeg. Any interest? He reportedly won't sign with the KHL.
Not really. Canucks Army just did a piece on targets and mentioned him as well - the other two players they brought up were Johansen and Nino.

I think Nino would be an awesome young player to target personally...

Old
05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
From the trade section, Booth + 2014 2nd + Labate for Tanguay at 1/2 salary.(1.75m)

How could we not take that? Add a top-6 playmaking RW, and cut down a ton of cap space so we still have flexibility to add more improvements.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Year younger and has the better skill-set. Like Tiranis said though, the cost might be too high.
His production has been quite disappointing. I also think you're underrating Schroeder's skill-set.

Quote:

Stalberg has 1 goal in 19 career playoff games. How is that not similar to Raymond's production? Both players are middle 6ers (probably better suited on the 3rd line than the 2nd) who are both inconsistent offensively. So yes, I'd say they are similar in terms of production.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

If you judge defensively-responsible, shutdown forwards by their goal production, well, I don't really know how to talk with you

Old
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
thepuckmonster
on the decline

Quote:
His production has been quite disappointing. I also think you're underrating Schroeder's skill-set.

Stalberg has 1 goal in 19 career playoff games. How is that not similar to Raymond's production? Both players are middle 6ers (probably better suited on the 3rd line than the 2nd) who are both inconsistent offensively. So yes, I'd say they are similar in terms of production.
Stalberg and Raymond are pretty much the same player when they're both healthy. They both have 40-50pt upside, can skate like the wind (though a good amount of time its useless), good defensively but frustrating offensively.

We already have a much better Raymond in Hansen (salary is lower, he does have lower offensive capability but is a better playmaker I would say). I don't think the priority should be letting Raymond walk only to acquire him in a different player.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Stalberg and Raymond are pretty much the same player when they're both healthy. They both have 40-50pt upside, can skate like the wind (though a good amount of time its useless), good defensively but frustrating offensively.

We already have a much better Raymond in Hansen (salary is lower, he does have lower offensive capability but is a better playmaker I would say). I don't think the priority should be letting Raymond walk only to acquire him in a different player.
Agreed, but according to some we shouldn't be allowed to talk about hockey if we think this way.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Alex Tanguay ($1.750m—50.0%) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jaromir Jagr ($5.200m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Dale Weise ($0.676m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Wade Redden ($1.500m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,420,944; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $879,056
So Booth, 2014 2nd, and Labate for Tanguay at 50%.
Sign Jagr/Ryder/whoever and Redden as UFAs.

Gillis would never do it though, as it means getting older. But teams don't win the cup based on age.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Man, looking at all this cheap checking line talent that will be available this summer, re-signing Higgins might not have been the best move. We could probably get a similar player for $1M. Oh well.
Very much doubt it. I see very few guys that have his ability to move up the line-up and score 35-40 ES points when given that role, especially while playing tough minutes. A guy like Higgins at $2.5m is a great deal and really should be talked about in a more positive light around here.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
From the trade section, Booth + 2014 2nd + Labate for Tanguay at 1/2 salary.(1.75m)

How could we not take that? Add a top-6 playmaking RW, and cut down a ton of cap space so we still have flexibility to add more improvements.

If the Canucks wanted to just dump Booth, I would move him for Tanguay at full salary, no pick, and maybe a Labate level prospect.

But, I wouldn't do that deal. I seem to place more value in Booth than most do here.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Blasphemer! Higgins solid value at 2.5m. He's a near perfect tweener forward that can play with literally any linemate.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:37 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
If the Canucks wanted to just dump Booth, I would move him for Tanguay at full salary, no pick, and maybe a Labate level prospect.

But, I wouldn't do that deal. I seem to place more value in Booth than most do here.
Not sure why, Booth hasn't shown anything here.

I would definitely do that trade. Tanguay at $1.75M is a great deal.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Not sure why, Booth hasn't shown anything here.

I would definitely do that trade. Tanguay at $1.75M is a great deal.

I don't look at a 23 goal pace, with size and his skating ability, as not showing anything. But that's me.

Do you think it guaranteed that he is gone?

Closed Thread