HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 11:52 AM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Who cares if he's french canadian?
Apparently some people here do.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
There were some people who were quite convinced the opposite would happen
I was one of those who shared your opinion. Hopefully we can sign a few decent undrafted FA's. CHL or Euros.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:21 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Apparently some people here do.
You can't let it cloud your judgement. But I don't see what's wrong with that idea.

For the record, the last time the Habs won the cup, more than half the team was French-Canadian.

That being said, Archambault was always a project. The pipeline has a few "p'tit gars d'chez nous" already with Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont, Lefebvre, Blunden and eventually Hudon.

I would have been happy if they had signed him to an ECHL/AHL contract, but I think his ego is too big to do that...

Old
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
You can't let it cloud your judgement. But I don't see what's wrong with that idea.

For the record, the last time the Habs won the cup, more than half the team was French-Canadian.

That being said, Archambault was always a project. The pipeline has a few "p'tit gars d'chez nous" already with Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont, Lefebvre, Blunden and eventually Hudon.

I would have been happy if they had signed him to an ECHL/AHL contract, but I think his ego is too big to do that...
Blunden?

Old
05-22-2013, 12:29 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Blunden?
I believe he was raised as a child in Montréal.

Ok he might not be a 'French-Canadian', but he's certainly a Québécois.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 05-22-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I believe was raised as a child in Montréal.

Ok he might not be a 'French-Canadian', but he's certainly a Québécois.
It's the first I hear of that.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:52 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
It's the first I hear of that.
He speaks french for his interviews.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

Correlation =/= Causation, for example:

2000-2001:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...&viewName=bios
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ame=goalieBios

2002-2003:

I would disagree the idea where Habs should pick BQA over BPA mentality ever in a draft. However, the Habs should be better than other teams at ranking when the BQA is the BPA due to regional advantages.

Love the Charles Hudon/Gabriel Dumont picks but if Habs always had more weight on Q late round they may have missed on Gallagher. In that sense, I like the non-bias the Habs have shown over the years. On the flip side, Habs should have been more familiar with guys like Giroux. Kinda of embarrassing to let that type of local talent slip.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

2000-2001:

2002-2003:

I would disagree the idea where Habs should pick BQA over BPA mentality ever in a draft. However, the Habs should be better than other teams at ranking when the BQA is the BPA due to regional advantages.

Love the Charles Hudon/Gabriel Dumont picks but if Habs always had more weight on Q late round they may have missed on Gallagher. In that sense, I like the non-bias the Habs have shown over the years. On the flip side, Habs should have been more familiar with guys like Giroux. Kinda of embarrassing to let that type of local talent slip.
I know it's not the prime reason why they won the cup in 1993. I'm not silly. All I'm saying is that it's not necessarily a bad way to go, to look at the Québécois more closely. Just like they did this year, maybe because it's a hell of a draft for the 'Q, but still.

Habs have been, in the recent past, too distant from the 'Q. Having only a part-time scout in the league. I believe they have improved that weakness by having two full-time scouts in the league.

If you follow me on the draft thread and on the prospects thread, you'll see that while I might have a bias for Québéckers mostly because I watch a lot of 'Q, I'm all for drafting the best player available, wherever he's from.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

2000-2001:

2002-2003:

I believe Timmins lives in Ottawa so they didn't pass on Giroux because they "didn't know him" I'm sure.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I know it's not the prime reason why they won the cup in 1993. I'm not silly. All I'm saying is that it's not necessarily a bad way to go, to look at the Québécois more closely. Just like they did this year, maybe because it's a hell of a draft for the 'Q, but still.

Habs have been, in the recent past, too distant from the 'Q. Having only a part-time scout in the league. I believe they have improved that weakness by having two full-time scouts in the league.

If you follow me on the draft thread and on the prospects thread, you'll see that while I might have a bias for Québéckers mostly because I watch a lot of 'Q, I'm all for drafting the best player available, wherever he's from.
When the Habs won their last cup, Eastern Europeans were barely in the NHL, so that factors into the higher % of Quebecers(and Canadian players).

Old
05-22-2013, 01:17 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
When the Habs won their last cup, Eastern Europeans were barely in the NHL, so that factors into the higher % of Quebecers(and Canadian players).
I can't cite statistics, but it does seem like we're also producing far less pro-worthy talent these days, which sucks.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I can't cite statistics, but it does seem like we're also producing far less pro-worthy talent these days, which sucks.
Other than this year, Quebec is producing a lot less pro talent than 10 or 20 years ago for sure.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:28 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

n/m someone got it already.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Frigging Hockey Québec

Old
05-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Guilliam

Yeah I think they wanted Archambault on an AHL deal and he probably thought he was worthy of an ELC.

As for the local players debate, pretty much every team in the league sees having local talents on the team as a plus. The Wild like players from Minnesota, The Sens like players from the capital's region and The Leafs like to get players from the Toronto area as an example.

It's just a shame that every time it is mentioned that the Habs should do the same, it has to turn into a damn political debate of francos vs anglos...

Old
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Yeah I think they wanted Archambault on an AHL deal and he probably thought he was worthy of an ELC.

As for the local players debate, pretty much every team in the league sees having local talents on the team as a plus. The Wild like players from Minnesota, The Sens like players from the capital's region and The Leafs like to get players from the Toronto area as an example.

It's just a shame that every time it is mentioned that the Habs should do the same, it has to turn into a damn political debate of francos vs anglos...
The Habs already "do the same" I'm sure they have twice the percentage of Quebecers on contracts as the NHL average.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I thought he did enough to at least get an AHL contract, but wasn't expecting him to be signed as I figured if they were going it would have already been done.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Won't lose any sleep because they didn't sign Archambault but hopfully they take that contract and sign Stefan Fournier.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Won't lose any sleep because they didn't sign Archambault but hopfully they take that contract and sign Stefan Fournier.
This. I know it has been discussed previously and not all the reviews of Fournier were positive, so I'd been waiting for the Mem Cup to make up my own mind, but I don't see the downside in signing Fournier. He seems to have good character. Good size. Even if he just tops out as a contributor for the Bulldogs for 3-5 years, sort of a la Blunden, that's fine by me. It's not too much of a downside. It's worth a contract for me.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Don't care that they didn't sign Archambault, just sucks he didn't take the next step because I remember being pleasantly surprised with his pre-season.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:54 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Stephane Leroux of RDS reports Habs won't sign Archambault.
Link ? Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to hear the exact words and if he gives details as to why...

Old
05-22-2013, 04:03 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Link ? Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to hear the exact words and if he gives details as to why...
https://twitter.com/StephRDSJunior/s...90467621285888

Old
05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
pc_md

Thanks !

Does not really say they won't sign him...

Last edited by pc_md: 05-22-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 04:06 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Won't lose any sleep. Hated the pick then and I'm okay with the decision right now.

Closed Thread