HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

vCash: 500
So now it's been revealed that if you want to play a game a friend's house, they have to buy the game for themselves at full market value.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
So now it's been revealed that if you want to play a game a friend's house, they have to buy the game for themselves at full market value.
No, it's not. Phil Harrison already acknowledged what he said doesn't make it fact (And the writer who put up the article also said this), especially when it contradicts officially statements.

It's getting pretty sickening to see all this ******** being said. Don't people have something better to do?

Old
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Yeah, ignore the rest of my post and go right to this.

You've had a grudge against MS since the start of this as far as I've seen, illogical one from my perspective. But fine, that's your prerogative. But you're 100% speculating someone couldn't get to the internal hard drive if they wanted to and clone it onto a larger drive. When frankly, it doesn't matter if you can or can't get to it since space won't be an issue thanks to the external stuff.

I'd rather a 500 internal than the $150 custom fit 120gb hard drive they peddled before. For $150 I could buy a 2TB WD external usb 3.0 drive.

You've also been pushing this DRM and used game stuff as if it were already written in stone. Keep some objectivity, the people who cried always on internet sure look silly now.

There hasn't even been a peep out of some of the biggest benefits for the xbox update. Going to x86 aligns the xbox with Win8 and WP8. Developers could theoretically develop for all platforms simultaneously, creating a better experience everywhere for everyone.

The Azure stuff brought up before could be a huge differentiator between Live and PSN. Not only with multiplayer implications but even single player.

There's this ridiculous stigma attached to MS by a generation slighted by them that can't seem to grow up and it's pretty pathetic.
Why am I speculating when I've linked pages that say such things? The could theoretically make games for all consoles, but they won't. With the architecture so close to one another, exclusives and throwing money at things will have more prominence than it has in the past. I was and always have been able to replace the HDD in my PS3 to any laptop drive (even SSDs) to use. I could throw a 1TB laptop drive in there for all I care and it would only cost me $80. And it would be able to be replaced easily. And yes, even if the PS4 didn't have a replaceable HDD, that would suck as much as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
If you let a friend borrow a game that you own, they would have to either know your account information so they can play it, or they would have to pay the price of the fee so they can get it to work on their own account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
No, it's not. Phil Harrison already acknowledged what he said doesn't make it fact (And the writer who put up the article also said this), especially when it contradicts officially statements.

It's getting pretty sickening to see all this ******** being said. Don't people have something better to do?
Look who's talking for someone who knew more than Sony's own support site .

Old
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Yeah, ignore the rest of my post and go right to this.

You've had a grudge against MS since the start of this as far as I've seen, illogical one from my perspective. But fine, that's your prerogative. But you're 100% speculating someone couldn't get to the internal hard drive if they wanted to and clone it onto a larger drive. When frankly, it doesn't matter if you can or can't get to it since space won't be an issue thanks to the external stuff.

I'd rather a 500 internal than the $150 custom fit 120gb hard drive they peddled before. For $150 I could buy a 2TB WD external usb 3.0 drive.

You've also been pushing this DRM and used game stuff as if it were already written in stone. Keep some objectivity, the people who cried always on internet sure look silly now.

There hasn't even been a peep out of some of the biggest benefits for the xbox update. Going to x86 aligns the xbox with Win8 and WP8. Developers could theoretically develop for all platforms simultaneously, creating a better experience everywhere for everyone.

The Azure stuff brought up before could be a huge differentiator between Live and PSN. Not only with multiplayer implications but even single player.

There's this ridiculous stigma attached to MS by a generation slighted by them that can't seem to grow up and it's pretty pathetic.

Real estate agents aren't there to take money from people, they are there to handle the point to point sale of property and represent their clients so they don't get abused on the market by lying sellers or buyers. They know the people needed to get the job done right. They themselves only see a fraction of the closing costs that home owners think they get, it's actually quite sad how many people think real estate agents get rich off the sales. Between taxes they pay on it, the 75% going to other parties, they themselves don't see a whole lot after spending sometimes more than a month working with someone, during hours that suit them (nights, weekends, etc).

If the extra income going to publishers benefits the consumer in the end, it's worth it. If not, you'll find publishers with draconian terms get lowered sales. What's funny is people think that the xbox will be the only console dealing with this. If publishers can implement a native restriction on used game sales, it will prevent them from using other things like online passes, which they will implement on PS4 if Sony doesn't offer them support natively.

So it isn't going to be just the xbox doing this and frankly, I trust xbox to handle it better than Sony after their brilliant hacking problem.

I think the Kinect problems are fair, I keep mine turned around all the time since I'm sure one day someone will fine a way to bypass their security once they are in every room in the house. I haven't yet made my decision on whether I like it or not, but I do know it is nice to use sometimes and annoying during others.
So by your (and Microsoft's) reasoning we shouldn't be able to lend/borrow DVD's, CD's, Blu-Ray's and Books to/from our friends.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I knew this would be the case but it's absolutely ridiculous how much people are blindly making things up in this thread based on rumours and hearsay.

I just watched Adam Sessler's interview with Stephen Totilo (who owns Kotaku and interviewed Harrison about the always on and used games)...

Stephen confirmed what Harrison had mentioned in the interview (and what others posted here about possible fees and 24 hour check...

But then said that "HARRISON SOUNDED LIKE HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY KNOW!

That's why i'm skeptical of someone making a list of things that the Xbox One can/can't do when half of the things listed haven't been announced or confirmed.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So by your (and Microsoft's) reasoning we shouldn't be able to lend/borrow DVD's, CD's, Blu-Ray's and Books to/from our friends.
I remember when the RIAA tried to stop copying/burning CDs that people owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I knew this would be the case but it's absolutely ridiculous how much people are blindly making things up in this thread based on rumours and hearsay.

I just watched Adam Sessler's interview with Stephen Totilo (who owns Kotaku and interviewed Harrison about the always on and used games)...

Stephen confirmed what Harrison had mentioned in the interview (and what others posted here about possible fees and 24 hour check...

But then said that "HARRISON SOUNDED LIKE HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY KNOW!

That's why i'm skeptical of someone making a list of things that the Xbox One can/can't do when half of the things listed haven't been announced or confirmed.
Isn't it also a bit concerning if Harrison really didn't know anything? Especially for someone as high up as him?

Old
05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

You inferred something I never said. In fact, a few posts ago I said it sounded like they'd be implementing a trading program over xbox live like that of kindle.

I've also said I hate the idea of seeing lending games go away since I did that all the time as a kid.

But sure, I want what you said. Sure would be nice if people stopped the witchhunt until they actually had definitive proof about something to cry over.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Liminality

Has anyone posted this video yet?

Thought it was pretty helpful

Old
05-22-2013, 01:24 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

The damage control in this thread is hysterical.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Isn't it also a bit concerning if Harrison really didn't know anything? Especially for someone as high up as him?
Why? As the reporters have stated maybe they haven't decided on those aspects yet.

Hell there's still people telling me this week they think Sony hasn't come up with the freaking design for the PS4 and that's why they didn't show it.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
I know how to get the apps...UK side is better but the comment is that they should be there in the first place without some extra work.
Once again, it's not Microsoft's fault there's copyright laws.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Why? As the reporters have stated maybe they haven't decided on those aspects yet.

Hell there's still people telling me this week they think Sony hasn't come up with the freaking design for the PS4 and that's why they didn't show it.
Isn't it a bit late for aspect changes to your system when it's probably going to be released in 6 months?

And I do believe the reason why Sony didn't show the PS4 was because it had a long while to choose how they want it designed. You don't reveal a new iPad and then ship it out 9 to 10 months later. That's WAY too long of a stretch.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
The damage control in this thread is hysterical.

The hysteria in this thread is hysterical. Then again it is

Old
05-22-2013, 01:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
The hysteria in this thread is hysterical. Then again it is
True. Just reading the trade section says everything about how hysterical it can be.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Isn't it a bit late for aspect changes to your system when it's probably going to be released in 6 months?

And I do believe the reason why Sony didn't show the PS4 was because it had a long while to choose how they want it designed. You don't reveal a new iPad and then ship it out 9 to 10 months later. That's WAY too long of a stretch.
On a software decision? No. The point was it's much more likely that hardware decisions are made now than minor software decisions that they can change at any time...

My take would be that I don't think the "always on" is going to be a big deal. The impression I get is that it will be mostly dependent on the game itself.

The "lending games" thing it sounds very much like everything is going to be profile attached (a-la Steam)... Really none of this affects me OTHER than I hope this leads to better pricing across the console if people are paying more often I hope they get discounts and the money goes to devs.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
On a software decision? No. The point was it's much more likely that hardware decisions are made now than minor software decisions that they can change at any time...

My take would be that I don't think the "always on" is going to be a big deal. The impression I get is that it will be mostly dependent on the game itself.

The "lending games" thing it sounds very much like everything is going to be profile attached (a-la Steam)... Really none of this affects me OTHER than I hope this leads to better pricing across the console if people are paying more often I hope they get discounts and the money goes to devs.
I really can't see MS going the way of Steam in the sense of slashing the hell out of game prices. Even PS+ cuts can only go so far (maybe like 25% off at most or something for brand new games). With Steam, you also don't have to pay to play online either. But still, being able to pay $20 (let's say for the upcoming sale of Tomb Raider on Amazon) instead of $60 on a new game, really does make that idea of not-sharing that much less important. Also, consoles have always meant to have multiple people playing on it, unlike a PC (it would be really awkward to have many people trying to use the PC at once, even though some games support it), so sharing will always be a part of console gaming.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Wrong again as usual. As I've told you before numerous times I own or have owned pretty much every major console. Not everyone is a Microsoft fanboy like you.
*looks up WiiU threads for number of posts by Neely2005, spits out drink, nearly dies of laughter*

Old
05-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
IIRC the 360 final specs were finalized very late.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
IIRC the 360 final specs were finalized very late.
I would assume they ran out of time, and wanted to get it out a year before everyone else? Maybe that's why RRODs were popular, because they wanted to ship it as is, and fix it later?

Old
05-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I would assume they ran out of time, and wanted to get it out a year before everyone else? Maybe that's why RRODs were popular, because they wanted to ship it as is, and fix it later?
Well it's well documented that they rushed it out because Robbie Bach.

Closed Thread