HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
LA looks terrible

Old
05-21-2013, 09:53 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
If Thornton doesn't win this year I wonder if they trade him to another team? UFA after next year.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Sharks outplayed the Kings all over the ice in that period but a 1-0 lead isn't nearly good enough.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

2-0 Sharks after Boyle's PP goal.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wow, Kings got robbed.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Hahaha Ray Ferraro.

"Thornton with a Datsyukian effort there behind the net"

Joe Thornton to me is better now than he was from 05-08. He's a complete 2-way player that dictates pace of play when on the ice. Unlike the guy who got shut down by Horcoff in 06.

He's basically turned himself from a Crosby/Malkin type of offense-first player to a Kopitar/Datsyuk/Zetterberg type player.

To me I think Thornton could still be a 100-pt player if he is used the same way Rom Wilson used him. So could Datsyuk. It's the Sedin model.

They're more valuable to their team the way they play now.
There was something different about Thornton this year. Maybe due to the shortened season, but I've also seen increasing resolve from him.

But to a bluntly to a man the Sharks knew they were robbed and jobbed in game 2 by the refs and it only made them angry, and more determined. Good on em.

Good series as expected.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Now the shoe's on the other foot. Gotta love NHL refereeing.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:16 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Darryl Sutter apparently doesn't like to give Penner more than 13min of TOI a game because he feels after that he gets less effective, and can only handle that much.

Interesting concept...he was playing 17-18 with the Oilers. However he had an excellent 09-10 season playing heavy minutes as well.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Sutter also has Penner as a healthy scratch on a lot of occasions during the regular season.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:26 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

That is the antithesis of Kruger hockey. He instead has the defenders chase their man around the zone, eventually resulting in total chaos. That 5-man unit set-up is how all the top defending teams seem to do it.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Mr V

Thought this might be a good time for a playoff comparison between Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall.
------------- GP G A P PIM +/- Bks

Tyler Seguin 10 0 1 1 2 -2 2

Taylor Hall--- 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

A couple of things jump out right away looking at these stats. First of all, it's surprising to me that Seguin has matched Hall goal for goal in the scoring department. He also has an insurmountable lead in assists. Seguin has proven to be a veritable scoring machine, compared to Hall so far in these playoffs.

The other big surprise to me is Hall trailing in blocked shots. It shows a level of grit and determination that I was not aware of in Tyler's game.

It looks like the only stat Taylor Hall has the edge in is the +/- which as we all know is a flawed stat to begin with.

I really hate to admit this, but so far this playoff season, Tyler Seguin looks like a clear winner over Taylor Hall.

Last edited by Mr V: 05-22-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post

That is the antithesis of Kruger hockey. He instead has the defenders chase their man around the zone, eventually resulting in total chaos. That 5-man unit set-up is how all the top defending teams seem to do it.
Nice link.

Interesting that the deduction at the end is that the Wings learn this from the best player in the world ( I agree) Pavel Datsyuk.

Man, the Hawks look disorganized and in shock compared to the Wings. I still maintain the Hawks won the cup in a year where opposition was notoriously weak.

I've not seen the Hawks win many series against completely dedicated efforts from opponents.

ps just as a further point Badger Bob Johnson had the Calgary Flames often pressuring the more skilled Edmonton Oilers like this. Its not all that new. Their whole club moved in very similar 5 man units to outman the Oilers everywhere. The key of course being to develop quick passing to break the contain. You need a breakout system, and speed and skill to beat the system. Guys like Anderson could make systems like this pay. Few players that are like him.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-22-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Now the shoe's on the other foot. Gotta love NHL refereeing.
Yeah, its kind of funny because it happened to LA. As people mention they've had the benefit of calls.

That said one of the more confusing things I've witnessed is Sharks fans shouting "we want a ref" in derision in the 3rd period of a game in which their team was spared a deciding GA.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:45 AM
#ualberta

Gretzky better show up when the oilers make the playoffs

Martin Broduor will be on HNIC today during the pens and sens game that should be entertaining or something

I'm looking forward to tonight's pens and sens game it's been my favorite series this round

Old
05-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nice link.

Interesting that the deduction at the end is that the Wings learn this from the best player in the world ( I agree) Pavel Datsyuk.

Man, the Hawks look disorganized and in shock compared to the Wings. I still maintain the Hawks won the cup in a year where opposition was notoriously weak.

I've not seen the Hawks win many series against completely dedicated efforts from opponents.

ps just as a further point Badger Bob Johnson had the Calgary Flames often pressuring the more skilled Edmonton Oilers like this. Its not all that new. Their whole club moved in very similar 5 man units to outman the Oilers everywhere. The key of course being to develop quick passing to break the contain. You need a breakout system, and speed and skill to beat the system. Guys like Anderson could make systems like this pay. Few players that are like him.
The 2010 Cup Winning Hawks had one of the best cup winning rosters within the last decade. I guess you can still make the argument the opposition was weak, but the Hawks were an unbelievably good team. The only really ? was goaltending.

The 2013 Hawks are a different team than the 2010 team.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
The 2010 Cup Winning Hawks had one of the best cup winning rosters within the last decade. I guess you can still make the argument the opposition was weak, but the Hawks were an unbelievably good team. The only really ? was goaltending

The 2013 Hawks are a different team than the 2010 team.
TBH its never been a team I properly understood. Some teams you watch and you understand how they're getting it done. Hawks to me just seemed to walk all over opponents with little opposition that year and who all seemed to be intimidated and put off their game. I saw very little compete from any of the clubs facing the Hawks that year.

Who do you find are the biggest missing ingredients. Versteeg, Campbell, Buff, Ladd? They've added some players as well.

I don't buy it as an excuse. Wings have had to fill the absence of the best player in hockey period. They keep marching on. The Oilers lost Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Andy Moog and still won a cup in 90. The Hawks have no excuse imo.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yeah turnabout is fair play wrt the reffing, you'd hope it wouldn't decide anything, but if it does, that it balances out.

Wouldn't want to review a quick whistle, but still don't get why coaches don't have one challenge per game.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:49 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Canucks fire AV and staff. I wonder who they have in mind. Ruff?

Old
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 488
Anyone see Slats yesterday during the game? Man does he look rough.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
TBH its never been a team I properly understood. Some teams you watch and you understand how they're getting it done. Hawks to me just seemed to walk all over opponents with little opposition that year and who all seemed to be intimidated and put off their game. I saw very little compete from any of the clubs facing the Hawks that year.

Who do you find are the biggest missing ingredients. Versteeg, Campbell, Buff, Ladd? They've added some players as well.

I don't buy it as an excuse. Wings have had to fill the absence of the best player in hockey period. They keep marching on. The Oilers lost Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Andy Moog and still won a cup in 90. The Hawks have no excuse imo.
The primary reason the 2010 Hawks won the cup: Toews and Duncan Keith were dominant. These playoffs, Toews has 0 goals in 8 games, Keith has been good but not quite the game changer he was in 2010.

The third line of Ladd, Bolland, and Versteeg were vital to the success of the 2010 Hawks. They played a major role both as a shutdown line as well as offensive contributors (Bolland and Versteeg with 16 and 14 points respectively). Byfuglien was also altogether a different animal in those playoffs.

It could very well be the team caught lightening in a bottle, however the combination of excellent individual performances during their run made them a ridiculously strong team.

Last edited by Toydarian: 05-22-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
The primary reason: Toews and Duncan Keith were dominant in 2010. These playoffs, Toews has 0 goals in 8 games, Keith has been good but not quite the game changer he was in 2010.

The third line of Ladd, Bolland, and Versteeg were vital to the success of the 2010 Hawks. They played a major role both as a shutdown line as well as offensive contributors (Bolland and Versteeg with 16 and 14 points respectively). Byfuglien was also altogether a different animal in those playoffs.
Well yeah, we know, but the thing is a lot of those guys are contributing players. Not key essential pieces.

The question still deserves to be asked: What is wrong with these Chicago Black Hawks and where goest Keith, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, etc?

Really when one looks at it the 2010 run was some magic in a box where a lot of players played the best they've ever played at the same time and ran over Nashville (choke) Vancouver (choke) SJ(huge inexplicable choke) on the way to a cup final against a weak seed Flyers team that somehow got out of the perennially weak EC.

Hawks had an easy ride. The one series people expected to test them, SJ, ended up a sweep. go figure.

My opinion is the Hawks never had to work as hard to win a cup and therefore don't know how to. They got the easiest ride I've seen. An off year for many other clubs.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 488
Quote:
Well yeah, we know, but the thing is a lot of those guys are contributing players. Not key essential pieces.

The question still deserves to be asked: What is wrong with these Chicago Black Hawks and where goest Keith, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, etc?

Really when one looks at it the 2010 run was some magic in a box where a lot of players played the best they've ever played at the same time and ran over Nashville (choke) Vancouver (choke) SJ(huge inexplicable choke) on the way to a cup final against a weak seed Flyers team that somehow got out of the perennially weak EC.

Hawks had an easy ride. The one series people expected to test them, SJ, ended up a sweep. go figure.

My opinion is the Hawks never had to work as hard to win a cup and therefore don't know how to. They got the easiest ride I've seen. An off year for many other clubs.
Contributing players open up space for your essentials.

I am curious though as you crap on the East for being so brutal and Chicago winning the cup, which team can win it this year and deserve to win it?

Old
05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
#ualberta

Av firing was obvious but I think he's a good coach just a bad team

Old
05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Amazing how gillis survives despite sewering that franchise with bad deals aplenty

Old
05-22-2013, 05:13 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Amazing how gillis survives despite sewering that franchise with bad deals aplenty
Yup.

Vigneault was obviously going to be canned but I think he's a pretty good coach.

Teams have figured out the Sedins and the roster is a trainwreck, not to mention the 10-ring-circus the Luongo/Schneider situation has become.

Closed Thread