HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official OKC Barons 12/13 Thread:

Old
05-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Again my heartfelt condolences to all in the OKC suburb of Moore and all impacted. I figured a thread on this was called for and started one if people want to talk about it and share and convey support.

If this is anything like Edmonton, and Moore is anything like Millwoods, then everybody in the city knows people in the suburb that were impacted.

Again my sympathies go out to all of you.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

The Barons take on the Griffins in the WCF after a comeback win by Grand Rapids against the Marlies tonight. Should be a good series!

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:25 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I'm just glad they don't have to play the Marlies, they seem to have OKC's number.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 1m
Apple doesn't fall far from tree: Grand Rapids scored 3 times in final 9:56 of the 3rd to defeat the Marlies, 4-3. Eliminates Toronto.
Haha... ouch.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Haha... ouch.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
bewbies

Here's the schedule for the series:

Game 1 May 24 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.
Game 2 May 25 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.
Game 3 May 29 Grand Rapids@ Oklahoma City 7 p.m.
Game 4 May 31 Grand Rapids @ Oklahoma City 7 p.m.
Game 5 June 1 Grand Rapids @ Oklahoma City 7 p.m.
Game 6 June 4 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.
Game 7 June 5 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.

This is going to be a rough one for the Barons. They played 4 times in the regular season, the Barons won two, had a loss and a SOL. The Griffins have a ton of very talented, very speedy guys up front and their defense is probably the best 6 man group in the conference. What I remember about their key players:

Tomas Tatar: NHL ready now. Great skater, great hands, will probably be a 20 goal guy in the NHL next year. 8 goals in 11 playoff games so far this year.

Riley Sheahan: He's been a Barons killer, NHL-ready, great all around skillset.

Francis Pare: excellent AHL player, 9 pts in the playoffs. He always does well against the Barons, good speed down low and a good passer.

Jan Mursak: I don't really remember much of him but he's been on fire during the playoffs.

Luke Glendening: Physical guy, plays a game similar to Hartikainen. Excellent so far in the playoffs.

Tomas Jurco: Young guy, 2nd round pick, really skilled.

Jeff Hoggan: NHL veteran, I think he's the captain. Very, very good AHL player.

Triston Grant: Suprisingly skilled tough guy who I really liked when he was in OKC.

Nathan Paetsch: NHL veteran, elite AHL defenseman

Brett Skinner: veteran defenseman, solid AHL player

Adam Almquist: another really good-looking Wings late round draft pick, elite puck mover

Brennan Evans: Goon defenseman who is decent

Chad Billins: College vet, excellent PMD

Petr Mrazek: really young guy who tore things up in the regular season but hasn't looked as good in the playoffs so far

My best guess for the Barons lineup:

Harti/Arcobello/Rajala
Cornet/Green/Cheechoo
Tyrvainen/Stretch/Pitlick
Eager/VV/House

Jones/Fedun
Marincin/Stafford
Hotham/Davidson

I think our defense is much better equipped to take on the Griffins speed up front than they were earlier in the year. All 6 of our defensemen are very mobile and can move the puck effectively. Having Lander in the mix at C would make the forwards look a lot deeper (bench House, move Tyrvainen to the 4th line, move Stretch to LW), but the top two lines are as good as any in the AHL. Danis has been outstanding in the playoffs so far also.

This should be a great series. The teams remaining in the East all look very mortal to me, so whoever comes out of this is going to have a good shot at a championship.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
This should be a great series. The teams remaining in the East all look very mortal to me, so whoever comes out of this is going to have a good shot at a championship.

The Crunch haven't lost one playoff game this year, they are rolling right now.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Of course it's not a bad thing that they're going in deep into the playoffs, but is this a genuinely good sign for the Oilers organization, or is it just a mirage because it's AHL and lower competition?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Of course it's not a bad thing that they're going in deep into the playoffs, but is this a genuinely good sign for the Oilers organization, or is it just a mirage because it's AHL and lower competition?
A mix of both. There are a few players on the team who could have NHL futures, but also a lot of AHL vets without a prayer. That being said, I'd much rather have three or four relevant prospects experience a playoff run at the pro level in some capacity than not.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
belair

Quote:
My best guess for the Barons lineup:

Harti/Arcobello/Rajala
Cornet/Green/Cheechoo
Tyrvainen/Stretch/Pitlick
Eager/VV/House

Jones/Fedun
Marincin/Stafford
Hotham/Davidson

I think our defense is much better equipped to take on the Griffins speed up front than they were earlier in the year. All 6 of our defensemen are very mobile and can move the puck effectively. Having Lander in the mix at C would make the forwards look a lot deeper (bench House, move Tyrvainen to the 4th line, move Stretch to LW), but the top two lines are as good as any in the AHL. Danis has been outstanding in the playoffs so far also.

You seem in the know...

How long is Lander out for?

What's the situation on Plante? Is he done or did he just need a wake-up-call?

Martindale? Hamilton?

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
You seem in the know...

How long is Lander out for?

What's the situation on Plante? Is he done or did he just need a wake-up-call?

Martindale? Hamilton?
Lander is supposed to be out for the year. I'm not sure what his injury is but Nelson was pretty unequivocal that he won't be back.

Plante broke his jaw in the Charlotte series. He might be able to make it back for the Finals if we get that far, but I think he's probably the #8 guy on the depth chart now so I doubt he sees any playing time.

Martindale has been a healthy scratch all playoffs. I don't think he's hurt, but I'm not 100% sure. He wasn't that bad during the regular season. Hamilton tore up his knee and is out for the year.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Gregor in his comments in his latest blog said how Nelson was talking highly of Eager. I thought he might be a buyout candidate, but if this is the case you have to think Eager sticks around.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Senor Catface

For those watching the games, how has Davidson looked?

The fact that in the midst of a playoff run, he's playing every single game, and not getting scratched as a rookie...it's a good sign but I would like to hear some feedback.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:12 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
For those watching the games, how has Davidson looked?

The fact that in the midst of a playoff run, he's playing every single game, and not getting scratched as a rookie...it's a good sign but I would like to hear some feedback.
All that after going through treatment for testicular cancer earlier in the season.

The kid is a great story.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
What I remember about their key players:

Tomas Tatar: NHL ready now. Great skater, great hands, will probably be a 20 goal guy in the NHL next year. 8 goals in 11 playoff games so far this year.

Riley Sheahan: He's been a Barons killer, NHL-ready, great all around skillset.

Francis Pare: excellent AHL player, 9 pts in the playoffs. He always does well against the Barons, good speed down low and a good passer.

Jan Mursak: I don't really remember much of him but he's been on fire during the playoffs.

Luke Glendening: Physical guy, plays a game similar to Hartikainen. Excellent so far in the playoffs.

Tomas Jurco: Young guy, 2nd round pick, really skilled.

Jeff Hoggan: NHL veteran, I think he's the captain. Very, very good AHL player.

Triston Grant: Suprisingly skilled tough guy who I really liked when he was in OKC.

Nathan Paetsch: NHL veteran, elite AHL defenseman

Brett Skinner: veteran defenseman, solid AHL player

Adam Almquist: another really good-looking Wings late round draft pick, elite puck mover

Brennan Evans: Goon defenseman who is decent

Chad Billins: College vet, excellent PMD

Petr Mrazek: really young guy who tore things up in the regular season but hasn't looked as good in the playoffs so far
pretty accurate scouting report imo.

our most important players who you missed out are brian lashoff who played a couple of playoff matches and several regular season matches with the wings, teemu pulkkinen, who we have high hopes for and who as a much-vaunted slap shot and seems to be adjusting not badly to north american hockey, and landon ferraro who projects to be a darren helm-like bottom 6er with a scoring touch.

anyway, should be a good series. good luck

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:46 PM
molsonmuscle360

Anyone got a link for the game tonight, can't seem to find one?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

1-1 after one period. The Griffins apparently carried most of the play, though.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
This series is going to be really entertaining, a lot of pace in this game 1.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Brewster

Barons loose 2-1 in the series opener. Shots were even at 28 apiece. Andrew Hotham scored for OKC. Arco and Cheechoo had the apples.

Seems like it'll be a close series.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:41 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Both teams are very fun to watch so this series is going to be very entertaining. I really like Hartikainen and he's a great fit for Edmonton (wish Detroit had him). Do you guys have any sleeper prospects playing for OKC? Always interested in other teams' prospects.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Both teams are very fun to watch so this series is going to be very entertaining. I really like Hartikainen and he's a great fit for Edmonton (wish Detroit had him). Do you guys have any sleeper prospects playing for OKC? Always interested in other teams' prospects.
Martin Marincin and Taylor Fedun should push for bottom pairing spots on the big club next year. Marincin in particular has impressed this year with a +20 rating and 30 points in the regular season, plus has a nice 6"5" frame to boot. Toni Rajala has surprised with a ppg pace this year in the regular and playoff schedules and has an outside chance of sticking with the Oilers for more than a cup of coffee should we struggle to score without Nuge.

Also, it looks like Sheahan (spelling?) has really come into his own this year. Any thoughts on his play?

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Theoretically, he is, except that he can't skate at the NHL level and it neutralizes his entire game.

Old
05-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Theoretically, he is, except that he can't skate at the NHL level and it neutralizes his entire game.
Grand Rapids is a pretty fast team, and I thought made it really tough on guys such as Hartikainen, Cheechoo, Green etc. guys who aren't exactly fleet of foot will stick out playing this team. Teemu isn't a great skater at this level either, and I'm afraid that will be exposed in this series.

Only time he was really that effective last night was below the goal line and in the corners, which we all know he excels doing that.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

The Barons achieve the split in Grand Rapids with a 4-2 victory tonight. Harski with 2 goals, Rajala with two assists. Stretch with a PP goal. Danis saved 20 of 22. Barons shot 36. OKC with another solid third period.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Nice! Go OKC. Atta boy Harti.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote