HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official OKC Barons 12/13 Thread:

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2013, 09:41 AM
  #626
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,584
vCash: 500
Again my heartfelt condolences to all in the OKC suburb of Moore and all impacted. I figured a thread on this was called for and started one if people want to talk about it and share and convey support.

If this is anything like Edmonton, and Moore is anything like Millwoods, then everybody in the city knows people in the suburb that were impacted.

Again my sympathies go out to all of you.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
  #627
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi
 
Hans Moleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FTW
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
The Barons take on the Griffins in the WCF after a comeback win by Grand Rapids against the Marlies tonight. Should be a good series!

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:25 PM
  #628
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
I'm just glad they don't have to play the Marlies, they seem to have OKC's number.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:02 AM
  #629
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 1m
Apple doesn't fall far from tree: Grand Rapids scored 3 times in final 9:56 of the 3rd to defeat the Marlies, 4-3. Eliminates Toronto.
Haha... ouch.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  #630
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Haha... ouch.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:53 PM
  #631
bewbies
Registered User
 
bewbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Here's the schedule for the series:

Game 1 May 24 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.
Game 2 May 25 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.
Game 3 May 29 Grand Rapids@ Oklahoma City 7 p.m.
Game 4 May 31 Grand Rapids @ Oklahoma City 7 p.m.
Game 5 June 1 Grand Rapids @ Oklahoma City 7 p.m.
Game 6 June 4 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.
Game 7 June 5 Oklahoma City @ Grand Rapids 6 p.m.



This is going to be a rough one for the Barons. They played 4 times in the regular season, the Barons won two, had a loss and a SOL. The Griffins have a ton of very talented, very speedy guys up front and their defense is probably the best 6 man group in the conference. What I remember about their key players:

Tomas Tatar: NHL ready now. Great skater, great hands, will probably be a 20 goal guy in the NHL next year. 8 goals in 11 playoff games so far this year.

Riley Sheahan: He's been a Barons killer, NHL-ready, great all around skillset.

Francis Pare: excellent AHL player, 9 pts in the playoffs. He always does well against the Barons, good speed down low and a good passer.

Jan Mursak: I don't really remember much of him but he's been on fire during the playoffs.

Luke Glendening: Physical guy, plays a game similar to Hartikainen. Excellent so far in the playoffs.

Tomas Jurco: Young guy, 2nd round pick, really skilled.

Jeff Hoggan: NHL veteran, I think he's the captain. Very, very good AHL player.

Triston Grant: Suprisingly skilled tough guy who I really liked when he was in OKC.

Nathan Paetsch: NHL veteran, elite AHL defenseman

Brett Skinner: veteran defenseman, solid AHL player

Adam Almquist: another really good-looking Wings late round draft pick, elite puck mover

Brennan Evans: Goon defenseman who is decent

Chad Billins: College vet, excellent PMD

Petr Mrazek: really young guy who tore things up in the regular season but hasn't looked as good in the playoffs so far


My best guess for the Barons lineup:

Harti/Arcobello/Rajala
Cornet/Green/Cheechoo
Tyrvainen/Stretch/Pitlick
Eager/VV/House

Jones/Fedun
Marincin/Stafford
Hotham/Davidson


I think our defense is much better equipped to take on the Griffins speed up front than they were earlier in the year. All 6 of our defensemen are very mobile and can move the puck effectively. Having Lander in the mix at C would make the forwards look a lot deeper (bench House, move Tyrvainen to the 4th line, move Stretch to LW), but the top two lines are as good as any in the AHL. Danis has been outstanding in the playoffs so far also.

This should be a great series. The teams remaining in the East all look very mortal to me, so whoever comes out of this is going to have a good shot at a championship.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  #632
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 657
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
This should be a great series. The teams remaining in the East all look very mortal to me, so whoever comes out of this is going to have a good shot at a championship.

The Crunch haven't lost one playoff game this year, they are rolling right now.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
  #633
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Of course it's not a bad thing that they're going in deep into the playoffs, but is this a genuinely good sign for the Oilers organization, or is it just a mirage because it's AHL and lower competition?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:53 AM
  #634
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Of course it's not a bad thing that they're going in deep into the playoffs, but is this a genuinely good sign for the Oilers organization, or is it just a mirage because it's AHL and lower competition?
A mix of both. There are a few players on the team who could have NHL futures, but also a lot of AHL vets without a prayer. That being said, I'd much rather have three or four relevant prospects experience a playoff run at the pro level in some capacity than not.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:24 PM
  #635
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
My best guess for the Barons lineup:

Harti/Arcobello/Rajala
Cornet/Green/Cheechoo
Tyrvainen/Stretch/Pitlick
Eager/VV/House

Jones/Fedun
Marincin/Stafford
Hotham/Davidson


I think our defense is much better equipped to take on the Griffins speed up front than they were earlier in the year. All 6 of our defensemen are very mobile and can move the puck effectively. Having Lander in the mix at C would make the forwards look a lot deeper (bench House, move Tyrvainen to the 4th line, move Stretch to LW), but the top two lines are as good as any in the AHL. Danis has been outstanding in the playoffs so far also.

This should be a great series. The teams remaining in the East all look very mortal to me, so whoever comes out of this is going to have a good shot at a championship.
You seem in the know...

How long is Lander out for?

What's the situation on Plante? Is he done or did he just need a wake-up-call?

Martindale? Hamilton?

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  #636
bewbies
Registered User
 
bewbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: OKC
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
You seem in the know...

How long is Lander out for?

What's the situation on Plante? Is he done or did he just need a wake-up-call?

Martindale? Hamilton?
Lander is supposed to be out for the year. I'm not sure what his injury is but Nelson was pretty unequivocal that he won't be back.

Plante broke his jaw in the Charlotte series. He might be able to make it back for the Finals if we get that far, but I think he's probably the #8 guy on the depth chart now so I doubt he sees any playing time.

Martindale has been a healthy scratch all playoffs. I don't think he's hurt, but I'm not 100% sure. He wasn't that bad during the regular season. Hamilton tore up his knee and is out for the year.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:27 PM
  #637
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Gregor in his comments in his latest blog said how Nelson was talking highly of Eager. I thought he might be a buyout candidate, but if this is the case you have to think Eager sticks around.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:06 PM
  #638
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
For those watching the games, how has Davidson looked?

The fact that in the midst of a playoff run, he's playing every single game, and not getting scratched as a rookie...it's a good sign but I would like to hear some feedback.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:12 PM
  #639
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
For those watching the games, how has Davidson looked?

The fact that in the midst of a playoff run, he's playing every single game, and not getting scratched as a rookie...it's a good sign but I would like to hear some feedback.
All that after going through treatment for testicular cancer earlier in the season.

The kid is a great story.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
  #640
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
What I remember about their key players:

Tomas Tatar: NHL ready now. Great skater, great hands, will probably be a 20 goal guy in the NHL next year. 8 goals in 11 playoff games so far this year.

Riley Sheahan: He's been a Barons killer, NHL-ready, great all around skillset.

Francis Pare: excellent AHL player, 9 pts in the playoffs. He always does well against the Barons, good speed down low and a good passer.

Jan Mursak: I don't really remember much of him but he's been on fire during the playoffs.

Luke Glendening: Physical guy, plays a game similar to Hartikainen. Excellent so far in the playoffs.

Tomas Jurco: Young guy, 2nd round pick, really skilled.

Jeff Hoggan: NHL veteran, I think he's the captain. Very, very good AHL player.

Triston Grant: Suprisingly skilled tough guy who I really liked when he was in OKC.

Nathan Paetsch: NHL veteran, elite AHL defenseman

Brett Skinner: veteran defenseman, solid AHL player

Adam Almquist: another really good-looking Wings late round draft pick, elite puck mover

Brennan Evans: Goon defenseman who is decent

Chad Billins: College vet, excellent PMD

Petr Mrazek: really young guy who tore things up in the regular season but hasn't looked as good in the playoffs so far
pretty accurate scouting report imo.

our most important players who you missed out are brian lashoff who played a couple of playoff matches and several regular season matches with the wings, teemu pulkkinen, who we have high hopes for and who as a much-vaunted slap shot and seems to be adjusting not badly to north american hockey, and landon ferraro who projects to be a darren helm-like bottom 6er with a scoring touch.

anyway, should be a good series. good luck

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:46 PM
  #641
molsonmuscle360
Registered User
 
molsonmuscle360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft. McMurray Ab
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,291
vCash: 500
Anyone got a link for the game tonight, can't seem to find one?

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:57 PM
  #642
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
1-1 after one period. The Griffins apparently carried most of the play, though.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:03 PM
  #643
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,687
vCash: 515
This series is going to be really entertaining, a lot of pace in this game 1.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:43 PM
  #644
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Barons loose 2-1 in the series opener. Shots were even at 28 apiece. Andrew Hotham scored for OKC. Arco and Cheechoo had the apples.

Seems like it'll be a close series.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:41 PM
  #645
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 500
Both teams are very fun to watch so this series is going to be very entertaining. I really like Hartikainen and he's a great fit for Edmonton (wish Detroit had him). Do you guys have any sleeper prospects playing for OKC? Always interested in other teams' prospects.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
  #646
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Both teams are very fun to watch so this series is going to be very entertaining. I really like Hartikainen and he's a great fit for Edmonton (wish Detroit had him). Do you guys have any sleeper prospects playing for OKC? Always interested in other teams' prospects.
Martin Marincin and Taylor Fedun should push for bottom pairing spots on the big club next year. Marincin in particular has impressed this year with a +20 rating and 30 points in the regular season, plus has a nice 6"5" frame to boot. Toni Rajala has surprised with a ppg pace this year in the regular and playoff schedules and has an outside chance of sticking with the Oilers for more than a cup of coffee should we struggle to score without Nuge.

Also, it looks like Sheahan (spelling?) has really come into his own this year. Any thoughts on his play?

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 01:16 PM
  #647
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Both teams are very fun to watch so this series is going to be very entertaining. I really like Hartikainen and he's a great fit for Edmonton (wish Detroit had him). Do you guys have any sleeper prospects playing for OKC? Always interested in other teams' prospects.
Theoretically, he is, except that he can't skate at the NHL level and it neutralizes his entire game.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:03 PM
  #648
Baronsfan
Registered User
 
Baronsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Theoretically, he is, except that he can't skate at the NHL level and it neutralizes his entire game.
Grand Rapids is a pretty fast team, and I thought made it really tough on guys such as Hartikainen, Cheechoo, Green etc. guys who aren't exactly fleet of foot will stick out playing this team. Teemu isn't a great skater at this level either, and I'm afraid that will be exposed in this series.

Only time he was really that effective last night was below the goal line and in the corners, which we all know he excels doing that.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:37 PM
  #649
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi
 
Hans Moleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: FTW
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
The Barons achieve the split in Grand Rapids with a 4-2 victory tonight. Harski with 2 goals, Rajala with two assists. Stretch with a PP goal. Danis saved 20 of 22. Barons shot 36. OKC with another solid third period.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 08:39 PM
  #650
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 500
Nice! Go OKC. Atta boy Harti.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.