HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sebastian Collberg signed to 3 year Entry Level Contract

Old
05-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I dont get the excitement about Collberg.

Since 2010-2011, he has played in 98 games and has 12 goals and 17 points.

Plus, he is 5' 11" and weighs 176 pounds.

Can someone explain to me why he is so great when he is small and does not score points?
This is the exact response I expect from someone that formulates an opinion without actually watching the player on the ice, or without understanding the context.

I strongly suggest that people don't just use hockeydb.com or eliteprospects.com solely to get a grasp on a players development. It makes for silly posts.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
With Galchenyuk and Collberg, the Habs are going to be one of the best teams in the league in the shootout.

He's at least a season and a half away from playing in the NHL though.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
25get

Quote:

Can someone explain to me why he is so great when he is small and does not score points?
Legitimate question.

Of all the answers, I saw one writing about his play in international competition.

I guess you should not have asked.

Seems that all these OP have seen him play but won't share their infinite wisdom and science.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:08 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
This is the exact response I expect from someone that formulates an opinion without actually watching the player on the ice, or without understanding the context.

I strongly suggest that people don't just use hockeydb.com or eliteprospects.com solely to get a grasp on a players development. It makes for silly posts.
That's the reason some people, me included, comes here to look for an answer. Is there anyone here, that has followed him closely, could assess Collberg's real performance ? Is he that good as few has described ?
Based on stats, he seems a marginal player.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
That's the reason some people, me included, comes here to look for an answer. Is there anyone here, that has followed him closely, could assess Collberg's real performance ? Is he that good as few has described ?
You've gotten the answer that you've "looked for" every single time you post in a Collberg thread (which is all the time). People have constantly given you reasons why some of us are excited about him as a prospect. Yet you continue to post the same thing, just like how I knew you'd show up in here sooner or later saying, "why do you guys like him so much, his stats aren't good". At this point I'm convinced you're just trolling.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Your best bet would probably be the Collberg prospect thread, It followed his progression all year and would offer up better context. Honestly, I am just sick of people saying "omg he's not 6'2, whats the big deal?"

But, for those that are too lazy to look up any info on him and want a better picture, I will oblige.

Quick description of Collberg:

Quote:
Collberg is very skilled forward with great wheels. Doesn't shy away from the high-traffic areas and knows where to go to score goals. Initiates contact with defensemen and has excellent one-on-one moves. Possesses an elite wrist-shot, which he can release in a hurry with great accuracy and velocity. Defensive play needs improvement.

At the moment, he's 19 years old playing in the SEL. He actually played in the SEL last year as well as an 18 year old, but he really wasn't getting much ice time. That being said, it's impressive for any 18 year old to be playing against men, especially in the SEL.

At best, during most of his career at Frolunda he's been relegated to a 3rd/4th line role. He's had a few stints with decent linemates due to injuries, but his coach (who is being replaced this summer, thank god) is known to hesitate in trusting young players.

His stats are beyond misleading for this reason. Also, several times this year and last he played 0 minutes, but got a GP added to his stats.

His international play (vs players of similar age) is quite impressive, (9 goals in 15 games) and he's progressing quite nicely. With Rönnberg (Sweden's WJC head coach) at the helm of Frolunda next year, Collberg should get a little more ice time.

All and all, he's still a very highly touted prospect that has shown a ton of promise. One of our better prospects.

Not to mention he's a bit of a shootout expert, which is something to look forward to.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Based on stats..how does he come across as marginal? He played in the SEL at 18/19..do you have any clue whatsoever how huge an achievement that is? Apparently not. Very few players enter the SEL at that age and put up big numbers, especially when they are rarely used because he needs work on his defence, as many young players do. To be questioning how good he is based on stats in the top Swedish league at his age is, frankly, ridiculous. I hope that answers your question.

BTW - saw him lots in his draft year - oozing with offensive talent. I had him ranked as a top 15 player. High-end hockey sense, hands and shot.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

In addition to having hired Rönnberg, Frölunda have also cleared out a handful of older players, he will get plenty of opportunity to earn a spot on the 2nd line and on the PP.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
In addition to having hired Rönnberg, Frölunda have also cleared out a handful of older players, he will get plenty of opportunity to earn a spot on the 2nd line and on the PP.
That's great news. Frankly the Rönnberg hire couldn't have come at a better time for Sebastian.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
In what world is 5"11 small?!
In today's NHL 5'11 is small. I think we Habs fans have grown so accustomed to smurfs that we regard 6ft as "big," but IMHO in the rest of the league it's from about 6'2" that big begins.

Not trolling I have high hopes for Collberg but he is small. Does not mean he can't find a place on our roster but we'd be smart to balance things out -- add a small guy and lose another small guy, like Gallagher coming in after Gomez was bought out.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Loved his game at the WJ. Can't wait to see him at camp

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Based on stats..how does he come across as marginal? He played in the SEL at 18/19..do you have any clue whatsoever how huge an achievement that is? Apparently not. Very few players enter the SEL at that age and put up big numbers, especially when they are rarely used because he needs work on his defence, as many young players do. To be questioning how good he is based on stats in the top Swedish league at his age is, frankly, ridiculous. I hope that answers your question.

BTW - saw him lots in his draft year - oozing with offensive talent. I had him ranked as a top 15 player. High-end hockey sense, hands and shot.
This, all of it, is gold

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:25 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post

Seems like a fair question.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
In what world is 5"11 small?!
5'11 isn't that small but if he is surrounded by similar height players, 5'11 will feel very small.

Sure we have Galchenyuk at 6'1, Eller 6'2, Pacioretty 6'2, but with

Collberg 5'11, Gallagher 5'8, Kristo 5'11, Hudon 5'10... Timmins better draft big this year (F & D).

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Seems like a fair question.
That's been asked a million times before, and answered a million times before. However I obliged once again, a few posts up.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Roulin

Quote:

It seems like his Eliteserien career took a turn for the better around mid-season. He had had a successful WJC, was a go-to player for Sweden. When he returned to Frolunda he was given more responsibility and responded with more production. Like others have said, he's been playing in a tough league for his age, but he's adjusting and is on an upwards trajectory.

It's also worth mentioning that the first half of the season was even tougher than usual for kids and depth players in the Eliteserien, as a bunch of locked out NHL'ers spent time there. Including Duchene and Stalberg in Frolunda, bumping Collberg to 13th forward playing 2-5min/g.

Last edited by Roulin: 05-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
good to hear, the more ice he can get the better. I saw the 2 games he played plus the wjc's, really like his upside as he's got impressive speed/skating/mobility but also knows what to do in the offensive zone which is great to see imo. Would be geat to see him have a big year with Frölunda and the WCJ's and then come over the following season to Hamilton, excited to see what the future holds for him with the Habs.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:11 PM
pc_md

Quote:
You've gotten the answer that you've "looked for" every single time you post in a Collberg thread (which is all the time). People have constantly given you reasons why some of us are excited about him as a prospect. Yet you continue to post the same thing, just like how I knew you'd show up in here sooner or later saying, "why do you guys like him so much, his stats aren't good". At this point I'm convinced you're just trolling.
But the debate is not about the excitement about the player. We pretty much all think he has skills and that so far, he seems like a good pick. Most, if not all of us, like the player.

The debate was mostly about where he should go, should he cross over this season: CHL or AHL. And to say he would not learn anything in the strongest junior league in the world is quite a statement if you ask me.

His 5 on 5 play both at the international and professionnal level was nothing to write home about. Is it normal for an 18 (now 19) years old playing in a professionnal league ? Yes it is. But it is also unusual for such a young player to play in the AHL.

We have seen problems with developping players throughout the years. And I personnally recall more problems with players graduating too fast than the opposite, especially with European players crossing over, players who also have to adapt to a different language/culture, a different defensive and offensive system, different schedule, etc...

And I am not saying putting him in the AHL would be a mistake. Just that to assume he is too strong for the CHL is being overconfident. But that is just my opinion. Do opinions that differ from the apparent consensus can still be heard ?

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Legitimate question.

Of all the answers, I saw one writing about his play in international competition.

I guess you should not have asked.

Seems that all these OP have seen him play but won't share their infinite wisdom and science.
You do realize his question is rhetorical right? He doesn't care what anyones opinion is because like he wrote in his post: "He isn't 6 foot 5, 240 lbs and he hasn't been scoring".

Plenty of Swedish fans have posted about Collberg and what he brings to the team. If you want your answers, go read the 1000 plus post on him. Running to a stat sheet with mention of his size is really irrelevant for an 18 year old boy playing in one of the top leagues in the world.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
But the debate is not about the excitement about the player. We pretty much all think he has skills and that so far, he seems like a good pick. Most, if not all of us, like the player.
It was quite clear he was explaining that beyond his stats, there are other reasons to be excited about this player without refering to a stat sheet.

Quote:
The debate was mostly about where he should go, should he cross over this season: CHL or AHL. And to say he would not learn anything in the strongest junior league in the world is quite a statement if you ask me.
Some reference to where he should play, but ultimately the same argument always comes up about his stats. I think him playing in the SEL is the best for his development if he can get a regular shift on the team.

Quote:
His 5 on 5 play both at the international and professionnal level was nothing to write home about. Is it normal for an 18 (now 19) years old playing in a professionnal league ? Yes it is. But it is also unusual for such a young player to play in the AHL.
I heard otherwise for international play. I'm not sure what you are talking about with players under 20 in the AHL, players that play in the CHL have to play 4 years I believe before they are allowed to play in the AHL. Players from other countries have their own leagues to develop players, no need to send players to the AHL until they are almost NHL ready.

Quote:
We have seen problems with developping players throughout the years. And I personnally recall more problems with players graduating too fast than the opposite, especially with European players crossing over, players who also have to adapt to a different language/culture, a different defensive and offensive system, different schedule, etc...

And I am not saying putting him in the AHL would be a mistake. Just that to assume he is too strong for the CHL is being overconfident. But that is just my opinion. Do opinions that differ from the apparent consensus can still be heard ?
Well in the end it isn't differing opinion that is the problem, it is sheer ignorance that is what is annoying. I know not everyone, myself included, have time to watch every prospect play every game but if you want to have an opinion, it should be derived from more than a stats sheet, don't you think?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:08 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
In today's NHL 5'11 is small. I think we Habs fans have grown so accustomed to smurfs that we regard 6ft as "big," but IMHO in the rest of the league it's from about 6'2" that big begins.

Not trolling I have high hopes for Collberg but he is small. Does not mean he can't find a place on our roster but we'd be smart to balance things out -- add a small guy and lose another small guy, like Gallagher coming in after Gomez was bought out.
5'11" isn't small.

DD at 5'6" or whatever is small. Gionta is small. Gally is small. Martin St. Louis is small.

The size scale doesn't go from small->big. What happened to average/median size? Maybe it doesn't quite have that ring to it, but there's a difference between average and small-sized players.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I'm not sure if you're trolling or not.
Not trolling. Honest question.

17 points in 98 games is not impressive to me.

If he were close to a point per game forward, I would never have posted what I did.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:50 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:

If he were close to a point per game forward, I would never have posted what I did.
18 years old playing in the SEL, that's impressive and not alot of Swedish players get to do that. Zibanejad didn't have impressive stats in the SEL, Collberg also wasn't playing alot of minutes. Next year he will get the opportunity to have more playing time and show what he's capable of.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Et le But

Quote:

If Collberg was close to a point per game forward at the age of 18 in the SEL, he'd have been the consensus number one pick and hyped as one of Sweden's greatest ever prospects.

But I think it's his height that's concerning you more.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If Collberg was close to a point per game forward at the age of 18 in the SEL, he'd have been the consensus number one pick and hyped as one of Sweden's greatest ever prospects.

But I think it's his height that's concerning you more.
Not that he's quite at PPG, but I'm not exactly hearing that about Lindholm. Just saying.

Collberg's a fine prospect, but he's quickly becoming the most overhyped one in years. He's not a blue chipper by any means and some are talking about a shoe-in in the top 6.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote