HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Assuming Calgary makes that trade and they teams line up like this, I doubt Tampa passes on Drouin to pick Nishuskin.

I see it more like this under those circumstances.

Col Jones
Fla Mack
Tam Drouin
Cal Barkov
Car Nishukin
Nsh Monahan
Edm Lindholm

I think the top 4 prospects are basically a lock. When it comes down to selecting between Lindholm/Monahan I think most teams would pick the bigger centre in Monahon as well...
Lots of speculation that Tampa has Nichuskin at #1 on there draft board (check out their draft thread). As for Nsh....they very well could take Monahan over Lindholm. I believe Nsh chief scout is based out of Sweden so Lindholm could be high on their board. They also may want to pair up Lindholm and Forsberg.....I guess we will find out soon enough

Old
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Wow that makes things interesting......

Based on Feasters comments about there only being 4 franchise players in this draft I think Calgary trading up to Tampa/Nsh is a distinct possibility. They have the extra 1st rders to make it happen.
in Feaster's world, those 4 are Jones, McKinnon, Druoin, and Buster McNobody from Wichita Junior Prep Hockey League.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Lots of speculation that Tampa has Nichuskin at #1 on there draft board (check out their draft thread). As for Nsh....they very well could take Monahan over Lindholm. I believe Nsh chief scout is based out of Sweden so Lindholm could be high on their board. They also may want to pair up Lindholm and Forsberg.....I guess we will find out soon enough
My thought is that Nashville is not looking for another 2nd line two way forward, they are probably more apt to look at flashy skill. Monahan appears to be a high end 2nd line two way C.

(Either that or I am saying what I want to hear. )

Old
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Sounds like a swedish version of Sam Gagner..
Not a great comparison. He's a 200 foot player, likes to play physical, is hard on the puck and an effortless skater. I don't think Gagner is any of those things.

Peter Forsberg Is the guy he gets compared to the most.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Man, that changes everything.

Been a Monahan backer from the start but I think I want him to fall to us now. He would be absolutely perfect with Nuge and Eberle.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...medium=twitter

Lightning Director of Amateur Scouting: Al Murray

If we can get any of the 5 guys he listed there, I would be really happy. I hope we don't trade down as it's looking like 7 is a very solid pick.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

That is fantastic news for us. The higher Nich goes, the better chance we have of getting a 2C. Would anyone else be ok with MacT sacrificing one or even both our 2nds if we could jump up to a spot where we could take Barkov?

Old
05-22-2013, 12:08 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That is fantastic news for us. The higher Nich goes, the better chance we have of getting a 2C. Would anyone else be ok with MacT sacrificing one or even both our 2nds if we could jump up to a spot where we could take Barkov?
Woah. First I'm told we have a chance at Monahan and now we can move up to get Barkov!?

I gotta stop dreaming because my imagination is just going wild. I'm as giddy as a school girl right now. Someone slap me and tell me to keep it together!

Old
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
That's a hefty price.

If Nischushkin goes before our pick, we're almost guaranteed to get one of Monahan or Lindholm.

Is the upgrade from Lindholm/Monahan to Barkov worth two 1st round quality* prospects?

* I think the second round is crazy deep and you're going to get typical 1st round talents even at Anaheim's pick.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That's a hefty price.

If Nischushkin goes before our pick, we're almost guaranteed to get one of Monahan or Lindholm.

Is the upgrade from Lindholm/Monahan to Barkov worth two 1st round quality* prospects?

* I think the second round is crazy deep and you're going to get typical 1st round talents even at Anaheim's pick.
I guess my argument is that one great player is better than a handful of good players, and I see Barkov as a step above either of Lindholm or Monahan. We have lots of depth in the organization from the picks we have accumulated over this rebuild so a few extra strong maybes don't mean much to me.

And then there's our track record with 2nd rounders...

Old
05-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Soundwave

Nichushkin is NHL ready. I don't necessarily think he will change the order of the top 4 picks.

Yzerman will still take Drouin IMO, Nashville will still take Barkov.

Carolina *may* bite though.

To be honest

Nichuskhin RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov
MPS Horcoff Bickell

Assuming we can ink Bickell as a UFA, this is not a small top nine any longer.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

s7ark - Id do that, but of all drafts to give up 2nds :p

Old
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
I guess my argument is that one great player is better than a handful of good players, and I see Barkov as a step above either of Lindholm or Monahan. We have lots of depth in the organization from the picks we have accumulated over this rebuild so a few extra strong maybes don't mean much to me.

And then there's our track record with 2nd rounders...
I agree with you.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:17 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Nichushkin is NHL ready. I don't necessarily think he will change the order of the top 4 picks.

Yzerman will still take Drouin IMO, Nashville will still take Barkov.

Carolina *may* bite though.

To be honest

Nichuskhin RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov
MPS Horcoff Bickell

Assuming we can ink Bickell as a UFA, this is not a small top nine any longer.
No but it is still a smaller top 6, most notably down the middle. We'd have 4 star wingers with nobody to win a faceoff and get the puck to them.

That said, this may change how the Oilers might approach things. It ups the value of their pick in a trade down as more teams will want whoever is left at #7 or it means that whoever they land will be a need for their team, Nichushkin included. Maybe they would look at taking the Russian if he fell to them. Perhaps he could connect with Yak who could acclimatize him.

I do fear that Lindholm ends up at #7 and he's the most redundant, but at least we won't have to deal with a project on defense. Lindholm could fetch a pretty darn good NHL ready dman.

I'd prefer to trade ANA's 2nd to move up to 5 if CAR has Nichushkin as their guy and then take Monahan or Barkov. Now the draft has even more intrigue for me!

Old
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
dnicks17

Nichushkin might be NHL ready, but I think it'll take him awhile to figure out the NHL.

Big guys with average hockey sense who rely on their size and speed usually have rough transitions.

The moves they pull in junior(or versus pylons in the KHL, in Nichushkin's case) just don't work in the NHL and it takes them some time to figure that out and develop new habits.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Not a great comparison. He's a 200 foot player, likes to play physical, is hard on the puck and an effortless skater. I don't think Gagner is any of those things.

I've heard Patrice Bergeron comparisons also.

If Lindholm is there at 7 I probably take him and maybe just hold the asset as trade bait.

Centers drafted in the top ten are a good stock to be invested in and can be moved for value quite easily I would have to think.

Worse case is you're "stuck" with a very good 1B center who's an upgrade on Gagner in size/speed.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
DrDrai

Quote:

We don't need any effortless skaters

Old
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
In the Russian article, Nichushkin mentions Nashville and Tampa. dchesnokov says Nich's grandfather said Tampa and Carolina.

Regardless, fingers crossed he goes before us.

COL - Jones
FLO - MacKinnon
TBL - Drouin
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Nichushkin
CGY - Monahan/Lindholm
EDM - "Consolation"

Revised view of how I see things going.
Seems you have the title for your draft GDT already planned.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
We don't need any effortless skaters
I see what you did there.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I've heard Patrice Bergeron comparisons also.

If Lindholm is there at 7 I probably take him and maybe just hold the asset as trade bait.

Centers drafted in the top ten are a good stock to be invested in and can be moved for value quite easily I would have to think.

Worse case is you're "stuck" with a very good 1B center who's an upgrade on Gagner in size/speed.
I asked Lowetide today on his show about Lindholm. I asked that with one of Monahan or Lindholm falling, why we haven't heard much out of the Oiler camp on Lindholm and if the Oilers had him in the top 7.

He said that the Oilers are definitely aware of him and believes that we haven't heard a lot out of the Oilers not because they didn't like him but were potentially trying to draw less attention to him (keep him a secret). Lowetide said that if Lindholm falls to the oilers he imagines that they would not only take him but that they would be running towards the podium without hesitation.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
s7ark - Id do that, but of all drafts to give up 2nds :p
I agree it isn't ideal. If MacT could get someone to bite on a 2nd in 2014 I'd prefer that. But if the other GM insisted on one or both of our 2nds this year for a pick where we can get Barkov, I think we'd have to do it.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I cannot see Tampa taking Nichushkin...especially when a better and more "safe" pick is on the board in Barkov

I could see Carolina taking him though..they got a lot of centers

I'd be happy with who's ever left of Lindholm/Monahan

Old
05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I added a poll to see who people prefer between Monahan and Lindholm. Next thread I'll add one for Nurse vs Nichushkin.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Quote:
I asked Lowetide today on his show about Lindholm. I asked that with one of Monahan or Lindholm falling, why we haven't heard much out of the Oiler camp on Lindholm and if the Oilers had him in the top 7.

He said that the Oilers are definitely aware of him and believes that we haven't heard a lot out of the Oilers not because they didn't like him but were potentially trying to draw less attention to him (keep him a secret). Lowetide said that if Lindholm falls to the oilers he imagines that they would not only take him but that they would be running towards the podium without hesitation.
What does Lowetide know about the Oilers and who they want? He's probably the last guy that should be asked.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
I added a poll to see who people prefer between Monahan and Lindholm. Next thread I'll add one for Nurse vs Nichushkin.
Lindholm would be my preference, but Monahan is far more likely to fall to #7 IMO. I personally don't see either being available (not buying the Nichushkin in the top 5 talk).