HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 AM
  #376
doubledown99
Registered User
 
doubledown99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Assuming Calgary makes that trade and they teams line up like this, I doubt Tampa passes on Drouin to pick Nishuskin.

I see it more like this under those circumstances.

Col Jones
Fla Mack
Tam Drouin
Cal Barkov
Car Nishukin
Nsh Monahan
Edm Lindholm

I think the top 4 prospects are basically a lock. When it comes down to selecting between Lindholm/Monahan I think most teams would pick the bigger centre in Monahon as well...
Lots of speculation that Tampa has Nichuskin at #1 on there draft board (check out their draft thread). As for Nsh....they very well could take Monahan over Lindholm. I believe Nsh chief scout is based out of Sweden so Lindholm could be high on their board. They also may want to pair up Lindholm and Forsberg.....I guess we will find out soon enough

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 11:34 AM
  #377
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Wow that makes things interesting......

Based on Feasters comments about there only being 4 franchise players in this draft I think Calgary trading up to Tampa/Nsh is a distinct possibility. They have the extra 1st rders to make it happen.
in Feaster's world, those 4 are Jones, McKinnon, Druoin, and Buster McNobody from Wichita Junior Prep Hockey League.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
  #378
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Lots of speculation that Tampa has Nichuskin at #1 on there draft board (check out their draft thread). As for Nsh....they very well could take Monahan over Lindholm. I believe Nsh chief scout is based out of Sweden so Lindholm could be high on their board. They also may want to pair up Lindholm and Forsberg.....I guess we will find out soon enough
My thought is that Nashville is not looking for another 2nd line two way forward, they are probably more apt to look at flashy skill. Monahan appears to be a high end 2nd line two way C.

(Either that or I am saying what I want to hear. )

Slats432 is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 11:39 AM
  #379
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Sounds like a swedish version of Sam Gagner..
Not a great comparison. He's a 200 foot player, likes to play physical, is hard on the puck and an effortless skater. I don't think Gagner is any of those things.

Peter Forsberg Is the guy he gets compared to the most.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
  #380
Sethis
Registered User
 
Sethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 725
Man, that changes everything.

Been a Monahan backer from the start but I think I want him to fall to us now. He would be absolutely perfect with Nuge and Eberle.

Sethis is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
  #381
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,800
vCash: 1220
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...medium=twitter

Lightning Director of Amateur Scouting: Al Murray

If we can get any of the 5 guys he listed there, I would be really happy. I hope we don't trade down as it's looking like 7 is a very solid pick.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
  #382
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,619
vCash: 500
That is fantastic news for us. The higher Nich goes, the better chance we have of getting a 2C. Would anyone else be ok with MacT sacrificing one or even both our 2nds if we could jump up to a spot where we could take Barkov?

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:08 PM
  #383
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That is fantastic news for us. The higher Nich goes, the better chance we have of getting a 2C. Would anyone else be ok with MacT sacrificing one or even both our 2nds if we could jump up to a spot where we could take Barkov?
Woah. First I'm told we have a chance at Monahan and now we can move up to get Barkov!?

I gotta stop dreaming because my imagination is just going wild. I'm as giddy as a school girl right now. Someone slap me and tell me to keep it together!

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
  #384
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
That is fantastic news for us. The higher Nich goes, the better chance we have of getting a 2C. Would anyone else be ok with MacT sacrificing one or even both our 2nds if we could jump up to a spot where we could take Barkov?
That's a hefty price.

If Nischushkin goes before our pick, we're almost guaranteed to get one of Monahan or Lindholm.

Is the upgrade from Lindholm/Monahan to Barkov worth two 1st round quality* prospects?


* I think the second round is crazy deep and you're going to get typical 1st round talents even at Anaheim's pick.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
  #385
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That's a hefty price.

If Nischushkin goes before our pick, we're almost guaranteed to get one of Monahan or Lindholm.

Is the upgrade from Lindholm/Monahan to Barkov worth two 1st round quality* prospects?


* I think the second round is crazy deep and you're going to get typical 1st round talents even at Anaheim's pick.
I guess my argument is that one great player is better than a handful of good players, and I see Barkov as a step above either of Lindholm or Monahan. We have lots of depth in the organization from the picks we have accumulated over this rebuild so a few extra strong maybes don't mean much to me.

And then there's our track record with 2nd rounders...

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:46 PM
  #386
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
Nichushkin is NHL ready. I don't necessarily think he will change the order of the top 4 picks.

Yzerman will still take Drouin IMO, Nashville will still take Barkov.

Carolina *may* bite though.

To be honest

Nichuskhin RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov
MPS Horcoff Bickell

Assuming we can ink Bickell as a UFA, this is not a small top nine any longer.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
  #387
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,810
vCash: 500
s7ark - Id do that, but of all drafts to give up 2nds :p

dustrock is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
  #388
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I guess my argument is that one great player is better than a handful of good players, and I see Barkov as a step above either of Lindholm or Monahan. We have lots of depth in the organization from the picks we have accumulated over this rebuild so a few extra strong maybes don't mean much to me.

And then there's our track record with 2nd rounders...
I agree with you.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-22-2013, 01:17 PM
  #389
nafrelio
Registered User
 
nafrelio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: brite feuchure
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Nichushkin is NHL ready. I don't necessarily think he will change the order of the top 4 picks.

Yzerman will still take Drouin IMO, Nashville will still take Barkov.

Carolina *may* bite though.

To be honest

Nichuskhin RNH Eberle
Hall Gagner Yakupov
MPS Horcoff Bickell

Assuming we can ink Bickell as a UFA, this is not a small top nine any longer.
No but it is still a smaller top 6, most notably down the middle. We'd have 4 star wingers with nobody to win a faceoff and get the puck to them.

That said, this may change how the Oilers might approach things. It ups the value of their pick in a trade down as more teams will want whoever is left at #7 or it means that whoever they land will be a need for their team, Nichushkin included. Maybe they would look at taking the Russian if he fell to them. Perhaps he could connect with Yak who could acclimatize him.

I do fear that Lindholm ends up at #7 and he's the most redundant, but at least we won't have to deal with a project on defense. Lindholm could fetch a pretty darn good NHL ready dman.

I'd prefer to trade ANA's 2nd to move up to 5 if CAR has Nichushkin as their guy and then take Monahan or Barkov. Now the draft has even more intrigue for me!

nafrelio is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
  #390
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,601
vCash: 500
Nichushkin might be NHL ready, but I think it'll take him awhile to figure out the NHL.

Big guys with average hockey sense who rely on their size and speed usually have rough transitions.

The moves they pull in junior(or versus pylons in the KHL, in Nichushkin's case) just don't work in the NHL and it takes them some time to figure that out and develop new habits.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  #391
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Not a great comparison. He's a 200 foot player, likes to play physical, is hard on the puck and an effortless skater. I don't think Gagner is any of those things.

Peter Forsberg Is the guy he gets compared to the most.
I've heard Patrice Bergeron comparisons also.

If Lindholm is there at 7 I probably take him and maybe just hold the asset as trade bait.

Centers drafted in the top ten are a good stock to be invested in and can be moved for value quite easily I would have to think.

Worse case is you're "stuck" with a very good 1B center who's an upgrade on Gagner in size/speed.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  #392
DrDrai
Registered User
 
DrDrai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Not a great comparison. He's a 200 foot player, likes to play physical, is hard on the puck and an effortless skater. I don't think Gagner is any of those things.

Peter Forsberg Is the guy he gets compared to the most.
We don't need any effortless skaters

DrDrai is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 02:14 PM
  #393
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
In the Russian article, Nichushkin mentions Nashville and Tampa. dchesnokov says Nich's grandfather said Tampa and Carolina.

Regardless, fingers crossed he goes before us.

COL - Jones
FLO - MacKinnon
TBL - Drouin
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Nichushkin
CGY - Monahan/Lindholm
EDM - "Consolation"

Revised view of how I see things going.
Seems you have the title for your draft GDT already planned.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
  #394
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
We don't need any effortless skaters
I see what you did there.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
  #395
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I've heard Patrice Bergeron comparisons also.

If Lindholm is there at 7 I probably take him and maybe just hold the asset as trade bait.

Centers drafted in the top ten are a good stock to be invested in and can be moved for value quite easily I would have to think.

Worse case is you're "stuck" with a very good 1B center who's an upgrade on Gagner in size/speed.
I asked Lowetide today on his show about Lindholm. I asked that with one of Monahan or Lindholm falling, why we haven't heard much out of the Oiler camp on Lindholm and if the Oilers had him in the top 7.

He said that the Oilers are definitely aware of him and believes that we haven't heard a lot out of the Oilers not because they didn't like him but were potentially trying to draw less attention to him (keep him a secret). Lowetide said that if Lindholm falls to the oilers he imagines that they would not only take him but that they would be running towards the podium without hesitation.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
  #396
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
s7ark - Id do that, but of all drafts to give up 2nds :p
I agree it isn't ideal. If MacT could get someone to bite on a 2nd in 2014 I'd prefer that. But if the other GM insisted on one or both of our 2nds this year for a pick where we can get Barkov, I think we'd have to do it.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
  #397
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,698
vCash: 500
I cannot see Tampa taking Nichushkin...especially when a better and more "safe" pick is on the board in Barkov

I could see Carolina taking him though..they got a lot of centers

I'd be happy with who's ever left of Lindholm/Monahan

The Last Dynasty is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 03:12 PM
  #398
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,619
vCash: 500
I added a poll to see who people prefer between Monahan and Lindholm. Next thread I'll add one for Nurse vs Nichushkin.

s7ark is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 03:15 PM
  #399
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I asked Lowetide today on his show about Lindholm. I asked that with one of Monahan or Lindholm falling, why we haven't heard much out of the Oiler camp on Lindholm and if the Oilers had him in the top 7.

He said that the Oilers are definitely aware of him and believes that we haven't heard a lot out of the Oilers not because they didn't like him but were potentially trying to draw less attention to him (keep him a secret). Lowetide said that if Lindholm falls to the oilers he imagines that they would not only take him but that they would be running towards the podium without hesitation.
What does Lowetide know about the Oilers and who they want? He's probably the last guy that should be asked.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  #400
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I added a poll to see who people prefer between Monahan and Lindholm. Next thread I'll add one for Nurse vs Nichushkin.
Lindholm would be my preference, but Monahan is far more likely to fall to #7 IMO. I personally don't see either being available (not buying the Nichushkin in the top 5 talk).

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.