HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Oilception

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Lindholm would be my preference, but Monahan is far more likely to fall to #7 IMO. I personally don't see either being available (not buying the Nichushkin in the top 5 talk).
so if they are both gone (assuming the top 4 goes as we think) would you take Nichushkin at 7?

Old
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilception View Post
so if they are both gone (assuming the top 4 goes as we think) would you take Nichushkin at 7?
He will be there, but we won't take him. I don't think I would either. Yeah, he's probably good enough to warrant a top 5 selection, but he's too risky of a pick in other ways.

05-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
He will be there, but we won't take him. I don't think I would either. Yeah, he's probably good enough to warrant a top 5 selection, but he's too risky of a pick in other ways.
I am curious as to what the other risks are. As I see it terminating a KHL contract to sign in the NHL pretty much negates the biggest concern that most teams would have with him. What other issues are of concern for you?

Old
05-22-2013, 04:47 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I am curious as to what the other risks are. As I see it terminating a KHL contract to sign in the NHL pretty much negates the biggest concern that most teams would have with him. What other issues are of concern for you?
I can't speak for misfit, but my main issue is what I touched on earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nichushkin might be NHL ready, but I think it'll take him awhile to figure out the NHL.

Big guys with average hockey sense who rely on their size and speed usually have rough transitions.

The moves they pull in junior(or versus pylons in the KHL, in Nichushkin's case) just don't work in the NHL and it takes them some time to figure that out and develop new habits.
He doesn't use his teammates. He doesn't have an overpowering shot to score from too far out. He's basically a one trick pony and that trick doesn't fool too many NHL defensemen.

I think he easily has the highest chance of busting(and not even the sense of not living up to his draft position...I mean straight up busting) than anyone else in the top 10 or 15 picks.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I can't speak for misfit, but my main issue is what I touched on earlier.

He doesn't use his teammates. He doesn't have an overpowering shot to score from too far out. He's basically a one trick pony and that trick doesn't fool too many NHL defensemen.

I think he easily has the highest chance of busting(and not even the sense of not living up to his draft position...I mean straight up busting) than anyone else in the top 10 or 15 picks.
Thanks.

I have not seen much of him. I honestly want a center though so I would prefer the Oilers not to pick him.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Uindicator

lindholm all the way , higher ceiling , 4th best ppg for draft eligible ever in sweden, plays physical and not afraid of the dirty areas , better skater and passer.
Monahan will be at best 2c prolly 3c, lindholm has 1c potential.
RNH + Lindholm = Datsyuk + Zetterberg v.2

Old
05-22-2013, 05:36 PM
topchowda

My hopes for the draft:
1.Come away with Lindholm/Monahan. Both are the centers we need. Perhaps allows us to deal Gagner for D help.
2. If Nischuskin falls to us, trade that 7th pick in hopes a team will value VN highly

Old
05-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Koto

im not sure if i saw this right, but i though i read on the ticker VN said he will be playing in NA for the 13/14 season...implying not under contract, and willing to go to AHL.

cant find a story tsn.ca though, anyone else have info?

Old
05-22-2013, 05:41 PM
doubledown99

Nsh chief scout talking about top 5 prospects (Jones, Mack, Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm....interesting that Monahan and Nich weren't talked about)

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Old
05-22-2013, 05:55 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I don't see it as the issue being negated though.

Terminating his contract means that he could play in the NHL next year. But if the team that drafts him isn't willing to make him an NHL regular immediately, he'll be back in the KHL with Dynamo. He's said as much. Once he's there for a few years, there's no saying what he's going to decide. Russian players playing in Canadian Major Junior have left for the KHL when the road to the NHL didn't go as smoothly as expected (Filatov, Radulov, Zharkov). In Radulov's case, even after he was guaranteed an NHL job and his ELC had expired, he decided to stay in the KHL. Heck, even players like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Datsyuk almost stayed in the KHL despite having big money contracts and ties to the NHL. And others have decided not to even bother coming over at all (Kuznetsov).

It seems to me like Nichushkin wants to call all the shots, and that's something that would worry me if I'm a team thinking about using a top 5 (or top 7) pick on the kid. In fact, I might actually be LESS likely to take him now than when he was planning on honouring his 2 year deal with Dynamo.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Toydarian

Anyone have estimate at the type of rookie contract a player will sign at 7th overall (I.e. cap hit, including bonuses)?

Old
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Anyone have estimate at the type of rookie contract a player will sign at 7th overall (I.e. cap hit, including bonuses)?

The last two #7 picks got $1.625M (Scheifele) and $1.633M (Dumba), so I'd say the #7 this year is likely to get around the same. Probably in the $1.65M range.

Last year's #4 pick (Griffin Reinhart) signed for nearly double that at $3.24M

Old
05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Wow, this is unbelievable news. If we don't trade the pick we are guaranteed one of Monahan, Lindholm or Nichushkin. (who's value is huge now) I think we will be getting Monahan or Nichushkin which is just fine for me.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
lindholm all the way , higher ceiling , 4th best ppg for draft eligible ever in sweden, plays physical and not afraid of the dirty areas , better skater and passer.
Monahan will be at best 2c prolly 3c, lindholm has 1c potential.
RNH + Lindholm = Datsyuk + Zetterberg v.2
^ Nailed it.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
BigWinger- Lindholm - Yakupov

Yes please!

Old
05-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Soundwave

Oilers would take Nichushkin if he's there at 7 and has ripped up his KHL deal.

I have little doubt of it. He'll be inserted into the line up immediately due to his size.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

My thoughts based on the poll...

Monahan is my pick between the two, but it's close. I would be happy with either, and would prefer they keep the pick if one of these two is available. I have only seen Lindholm play twice (full games), and Monahan about 5 games, but i bet i have seen every available video on both guys at this point.

Based on mostly video and scouting reports, this is how i see it.

Monahan - Pretty much a lock to at least be a solid #2 center with a good two way game, and could still end up with first line skills. This is the biggest lure for me, since he is already so well developed, and is really a "can't miss" type of player. We can't afford a miss with this pick if we keep it. Has above average size, wins a ton of face-offs, and pretty good offensive upside. His offensive upside is the biggest unknown IMO, since he played on such a crappy team. Did he get those points because he was the go too guy, playing 22 min a night? Or is it the other way, and he would have easily cracked 100 points with better line mates? Another bonus, is that we could see this guy coming in on the 3rd or 4th line this year, ALA Couturier or Galchenyuk even (wing). At the very least he should get the 9 games. Despite how much some people will cry about it, I really wouldn't want to send him back to the crappy 67's team, that is for certain (and the main reason).

Lindholm - He looks like he could be an elite #1 center, but the transition from the SEL can be tough to predict. Lindholm is a good two way player as well, and much more physical than Monahan. I remember reading in a thread about him that he had over 90 hits in the SEL this year, which apparently is pretty good over there. He is a much better skater, and seems to have his own version of the "Hall Deke". He is great at using this to gain the zone, and it almost always seems to work. When he is playing center i notice that he is particularly great around the opponents net, like seriously dominating, front and back. He may only be 6', 195 lbs, but if you have seen him play you would not be worried about his size. Think Ryan O'Rielly build in a few years. If he didn't spend half of this season playing right wing i would easily have him ahead of Monahan. Even that probably isn't sound reasoning for myself, since he looked so good at center, and this is where the Oilers would use him.

Anyways i am not a scout or anything like that, but this is what i think of these two players. I am an even bigger fan of Barkov, but i see no reason to trade up as long as one of these beauties drop to us.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I suspect a D man like Nurse/Risto/Zadarov goes ahead of us. Always a surprise.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:02 PM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Draft Nichushkin, trade Gagner for Grigorenko.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Nichushkin-Grigorenko-Yakupov

Problems all solved

Old
05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Draft Nichushkin, trade Gagner for Grigorenko.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Nichushkin-Grigorenko-Yakupov

Problems all solved
What country will our third line be?

Old
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
BarDownBobo
Play Bad For Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Paajarvi-Lander-???

Then Harti-???-Petrell 4th.

Perfect right?

Old
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Sweden
PRV-Lander-Stalberg LOL

Old
05-22-2013, 09:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Paajarvi-Lander-???

Then Harti-???-Petrell 4th.

Perfect right?
If Barkov is our fourthline centre, then yes.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Paajarvi-Lander-Stalberg

Then Harti-Komarov-Petrell 4th.

Perfect right?
I like it. "Komarov is multi-lingual and can speak four languages: Swedish, Finnish, Russian, and English." I know who I would name captain.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:33 PM
doubledown99

Stauffer said on today's show "if its me I stay away from Nichuskin". This was after he discused the news about him coming over and Tampa and Car potentially being interested.

Just thought that was interesting.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
DousedInOil

Speaking of draft prospects that I like. Looks like Thrower had a questionable hit. Not saying that the Oilers couldn't use his nasty despite being dirty.

Closed Thread