HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
05-09-2013, 12:14 AM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
Had a good game for the Oil Kings tonight. Finished his checks, was decent in FO's, competed hard the whole way through.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
I doubt Lazar is available at 13 (I agree with rt in that EDM, DAL or PHX will nab him before then), but if he is, I think the Jets draft him over Domi since they seem to value size and grit among their draft picks. Lazar isn't big, but Domi is downright small, and although Domi is pretty gritty, Lazar is much more overpowering with his physicality. I could see the Jets taking Domi though if Lazar is gone
Why do so many here consider Lazar to be better than Horvat? I'm not really seeing the appeal of Lazar.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
I don't see the hype .. His stats don't stand out at all to me to be considered a top 20 player in the draft. Is there something I'm missing? If so I wanna hear it
Watch him play. He's extremely well rounded and didn't play top line minutes like other draft eligibles in Domi or Horvat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Why do so many here consider Lazar to be better than Horvat? I'm not really seeing the appeal of Lazar.
I think Lazar has higher offensive potential than Horvat does, but that's maybe just me.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
I think you should watch Lazar play. He is quick, makes good simple plays and forechecks hard. He has a lazer of a shot and is good on the draw. His best attribute imo is his ability to compete in 1 on 1 battles and win. He pushes the pace in the offensive zone more than Samuelsson does IMO and he is two years older. His game just screams pro. He will be on Canada's junior team at Christmas I bet.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

I think Lazar has higher offensive potential than Horvat does, but that's maybe just me.
I think Horvat and Lazar are pretty similar players.

2 traits that Lazar has that IMO make him better are: Speed. Curtis is just a more explosive more fluid skater.

#2. Shot. Lazar is a one shot scorer.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I think you should watch Lazar play. He is quick, makes good simple plays and forechecks hard. He has a lazer of a shot and is good on the draw. His best attribute imo is his ability to compete in 1 on 1 battles and win. He pushes the pace in the offensive zone more than Samuelsson does IMO and he is two years older. His game just screams pro. He will be on Canada's junior team at Christmas I bet.
I'm not disputing any of that, because I don't have first-hand observations as a basis. Have you seen Horvat play? If so, how would you compare his play to Lazar's? The point is that some scouting services and individuals put Horvat above or on par with Lazar, so it would be interesting to hear the pros and cons of each player.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 12:50 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
I'm not disputing any of that, because I don't have first-hand observations as a basis. Have you seen Horvat play? If so, how would you compare his play to Lazar's? The point is that some scouting services and individuals put Horvat above or on par with Lazar, so it would be interesting to hear the pros and cons of each player.
From what I've seen, perhaps the best way to distinguish them is that Lazar is more of a shooter and Horvat is more of a passer, even though they both have scored more goals than assists, iirc. Otherwise, they seem similar in many ways, including physical stature, playing style, etc.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
No sorry I wasn't comparing them that's just my take on Lazar. I have only seen Horvat play once on TV and that was at last years memorial cup. It sounds like they play a similar game though. I am not sure what seperates them. If I was the Oilers and the two of them were very close in ability I would probably pick Lazar just because he plays for the Oil Kings and the Oilers could manage his development a little more.

Old
05-09-2013, 02:59 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^had one smart poster on these boards, i think he was a Jackets fan, said that the Jackets should take Domi, Horvat and Lazar with their 3 picks....can you imagine? center is such an important position when building your team that i couldn't agree more with this!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
If I was the Oilers and the two of them were very close in ability I would probably pick Lazar just because he plays for the Oil Kings and the Oilers could manage his development a little more.
Kind of like Mitch Moroz?

What a brutal pick in 2012.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:00 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post

He is a decent player. But over Collberg? That will bite them in the ass at some point. BPA

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:36 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
He is a decent player. But over Collberg? That will bite them in the ass at some point. BPA
Right. Because he will play ahead of Yakupov or Eberle right? Or maybe he would make a good bottom six guy?

Pffffffft.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:17 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post

?

Why are you comparing Curtis Lazar to Mitch Moroz? They have nothing to do with each other... completely different players, completely different skill sets, completely different draft rankings...

EDIT If you do want to compare them....Lazar blows Moroz out of the water...and I am confident that would be a consensus.

Last edited by bsmith14: 05-10-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old
05-21-2013, 06:39 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

http://lastwordonsports.com/curtis-lazar-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-20/

Curtis Lazar: 2013 NHL Draft Player Profile #20

Quote:
After a real breakthrough performance in the 2012 WHL Playoffs, Curtis Lazar of the Edmonton Oil Kings started the season as a near consensus top 10 pick amongst scouts and analysts. A slow start to the year, and failure to continue that great play has dropped Lazar down the rankings, as hes consistently fallen in each of our three in-season rankings (November, February, and Today). However, recent strong play down the stretch and again in the WHL Playoffs has stemmed that fall somewhat and Lazar checks in at #20 in our final ranks.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Right. Because he will play ahead of Yakupov or Eberle right? Or maybe he would make a good bottom six guy?

Pffffffft.
BPA, never draft a target bottom six player, especially in the first two rounds. Eberle or Yak may not be on the team in 5 years when Collberg and/or Moroz are ready to join the NHL

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:20 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
BPA, never draft a target bottom six player, especially in the first two rounds. Eberle or Yak may not be on the team in 5 years when Collberg and/or Moroz are ready to join the NHL
If it takes Collberg five years to be "ready" to join the nhl, then I would suggest he would already have made the decision to play in Sweden/KHL about 2-3yrs before that.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Screeeeech

vCash: 450
NHL comparision?

Screeeeech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs2711 View Post
NHL comparision?
Joe Pavelski

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
NHL comparision?
Shane Doan or Mike Fisher are popular ones.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Captain Saku

Did Lazar fall in the rankings? He was almost a consensus top 15 pick. Not so much anymore, more like a 15-25 pick.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Did Lazar fall in the rankings? He was almost a consensus top 15 pick. Not so much anymore, more like a 15-25 pick.
On some lists, sure, but I would be quite surprised if he was still on the board at fifteenth overall. Not too many players with his combination of defensive play and offensive reliability available in the draft. Add all that to his grit and tenacity on the forecheck and he should still go in the top 15.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:34 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
I really wouldn't mind the oilers take him, of rather not though because I'm hoping one of Monahan/barkov/lindholm drops, which is certainly possible. If either of them arnt available I'd love to have Lazar.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
NHL comparision?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Original View Post
Joe Pavelski
Quote:
Shane Doan or Mike Fisher are popular ones.
In the admittedly limited viewings of Lazar, I always got more of a Ryan Callahan vibe.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
In the admittedly limited viewings of Lazar, I always got more of a Ryan Callahan vibe.
I get more of a goal scoring Mike Richards

I also think if Lazar starts slipping past 15th in the draft we could see oilers pull of a deal to draft him.

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
I get more of a goal scoring Mike Richards

I also think if Lazar starts slipping past 15th in the draft we could see oilers pull of a deal to draft him.
A lot of teams will be interested in grabbing him if he falls past 15