HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013 Part III

Old
05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
lopper

vCash: 50
I have also heard the London Knights seem to have top prospects "fall" into their laps too. Is junior hockey a different beast behind closed doors that us regular joe fans know nothing about?

lopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I have also heard the London Knights seem to have top prospects "fall" into their laps too. Is junior hockey a different beast behind closed doors that us regular joe fans know nothing about?
When millions of dollars are at stake what do you honestly expect or think ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:31 PM
Joe Hallenback

All the "big" teams will have an advantage over the smaller teams. The only thing that will save smaller teams are the guys that run them and their skill/luck at drafting players. Brandon has one in Kelly McCrimmon. I believe they have the most wins for a CHL team the past 15 years. They can't compete though with an Edmonton. Who can tempt kids because of the big city atmosphere and the close relationship of the NHL team. Brandon has 50,000 people in city and a dip of 250 season tickets last year really hurt the club. Do you think the Oil Kings care if they lose 250 season tickets?

Lets look at what a Memorial cup did for Brandon. It gave them money to upgrade there rink. New scoreboard,dressing rooms,gym and media area. It also gave them a nice influx of cash and recognition for kids who don't know anything about them. Consider if you pass on the "host" format now. A team like Brandon may or may not ever have that kind of windfall. Soon the Brandons,Swift Currents,Prince Alberts,Soo Greyhounds,Sudburys,Owen Sounds, Rimouski, and Shawinigans of the CHL will disappear.

As much as they are growing the game and they are, they are also killing the roots of it. I don't know about you but seeing London in the Memorial cup every year because they can get Max Domi to drop in the draft and sign guys like Zadorov and Maata AND get Americans like Stolaz to decommit and join just isn't fun for me.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I'm annoyed by the notion that the Blades could make the Memorial Cup final having only won 2 playoff games all season.

I know having a host team is a no brainer considering there is only 3 major junior leagues in Canada.

However a best on best tournament with a team entering with 0 playoff wins doesn't sit well with me.

I wish there was a better way.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:08 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
I'm annoyed by the notion that the Blades could make the Memorial Cup final having only won 2 playoff games all season.

I know having a host team is a no brainer considering there is only 3 major junior leagues in Canada.

However a best on best tournament with a team entering with 0 playoff wins doesn't sit well with me.

I'm cheering for the Blades. It's a western team that's not the Portlamd Cheaterhawks. Plus, if they beat the others teams then they deserve it, in my view.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post

You know the biggest sporting event in the world, the World Cup, has host teams that don't have to win anything to get in either and this is a 4 year long exhausting competition to get into.

It isn't something new. People just need to get over it.

Old
05-22-2013, 03:46 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Yep.

I know the Q is extremely bad. The oldest trick in the book is to tell everyone you're going the US college route, teams wouldn't draft you early, and then come the 3rd or 4th round some team takes a flyer on the "hope" that they'll come to them. A week before training camp all of sudden the player will "make the decision to play in the Q" to come... even though it was decided long ago.

That's partly how Halifax got Nathan MacKinnon (MacKinnon didn't go to the Q draft, he was skating with a USHL team that day), except Baie Comeau called his bluff and drafted him first overall anyways, so Halifax had to trade for him.

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:06 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Calling the Winterhawks cheaters is pretty harsh when you are the Oil Kings. Kettle meet pot. Both are big city teams with money and connections using it to their advantage
How exactly are the Oil Kings cheating?

I dont see players consistently dropping in out of nowhere (like Portland every year). They suffered with a poor/expansion team and poor crowds for years before they were able to build a competitive team. The Wheat Kings have the best record over the last 15yrs (you said) so maybe it is them who are cheating?

That's a pretty loaded accusation to throw out there without any supporting evidence or even any circumstantial stuff to back up a claim like that.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How exactly are the Oil Kings cheating?

I dont see players consistently dropping in out of nowhere (like Portland every year). They suffered with a poor/expansion team and poor crowds for years before they were able to build a competitive team. The Wheat Kings have the best record over the last 15yrs (you said) so maybe it is them who are cheating?

That's a pretty loaded accusation to throw out there without any supporting evidence or even any circumstantial stuff to back up a claim like that.
Is it cheating to use your Owner club to bring over Euros who may not come over anywhere else? I mean it happens everywhere. You got Sammeulsson for nothing. You got Corbett for nothing. Is that cheating or just playing the system? Don't worry though all the big money teams do it.

Really if you want to understand it better look the teams protected lists. Look at who Portland,Vancouver,Edmonton and Calgary protect. All top end NCAA bound players. They want to use their influence to lure them to play.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Is it cheating to use your Owner club to bring over Euros who may not come over anywhere else? I mean it happens everywhere. You got Sammeulsson for nothing. You got Corbett for nothing. Is that cheating or just playing the system? Don't worry though all the big money teams do it.

Really if you want to understand it better look the teams protected lists. Look at who Portland,Vancouver,Edmonton and Calgary protect. All top end NCAA bound players. They want to use their influence to lure them to play.
Doesnt Brandon lure top end NCAA bound players?

Old
05-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Doesnt Brandon lure top end NCAA bound players?
We sure as hell don't list them on the protected list after they have declared. We also don't have a NHL team that can make sure the Euro's come over either. Nor do we have an NHL rink. I mean all that makes a big difference.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
We sure as hell don't list them on the protected list after they have declared. We also don't have a NHL team that can make sure the Euro's come over either. Nor do we have an NHL rink. I mean all that makes a big difference.
How are any of those things cheating?

Old
05-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
How are any of those things cheating?
They caught the Hawks cheating. They paid the price for it to.

Oh look here

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05...end-lou-nanne/

Just another big city team protecting a player no one would draft. Wonder if he will get his parents flown in for games too.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:19 PM
edmontonfan59

To much banter about teams cheating. Lets talk about the product on the ice .How are our Oil Kings going to look next season? How will we fair with the rest of the Eastern Conf.?

edmontonfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
17Kurri

Quote:

Didn't the OK's draft both Corbett and Samuelsson?

Not like the Winterhawks, who got Jones because he wouldn't play for Everett. Afaik, the Oil Kings have operated legitimately to date.

I don't necessarily disagree that there are advantages for higher profile teams, but I just don't get where you get that they're all cheating, specifically the Oil Kings.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
They caught the Hawks cheating. They paid the price for it to.

Oh look here

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05...end-lou-nanne/

Just another big city team protecting a player no one would draft. Wonder if he will get his parents flown in for games too.
How is that cheating?

Old
05-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I know that Canada had Nugent-Hopkins at the World Juniors but I have no clue as to why they used MacKinnon in a fourth line role. Ridiculous. This guy is dynamic and MONEY.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Seth Jones is going to be an absolute monster in the NHL. What a talent.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Holy **** that was soft defending.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
What a game.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Seth Jones is going to be an absolute monster in the NHL. What a talent.
Probably, but I'd prefer McKinnon.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Mackinnon reminds me of Hall, in the way he plays and the way dominates in important games

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Mackinnon reminds me of Hall, in the way he plays and the way dominates in important games
Me too. Kid's going to be a gamer.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Speaking of Hall... is it just me or has his junior hockey dominance been forgotten about? Daren Millard was just raving on Twitter about how that was the most impressive Memorial Cup performance that he's ever seen from a single player (MacKinnon) and when they were talking about the best Memorial Cup tournament performances ever (before the game) his name wasn't even mentioned despite the fact that he owns two MVP trophies.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Speaking of Hall... is it just me or has his junior hockey dominance been forgotten about? Daren Millard was just raving on Twitter about how that was the most impressive Memorial Cup performance that he's ever seen from a single player (MacKinnon) and when they were talking about the best Memorial Cup tournament performances ever (before the game) his name wasn't even mentioned despite the fact that he owns two MVP trophies.
To be fair, for them (sportsnet) to focus enough on Just the Tournament that was happening was kind of impressive, they usually phone it in much harder then they did.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote