HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League #5: 2013 Play-offs Edition!: Nucks fire AV, AVs hire Roy

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 05:37 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
AV is a good coach actually. The sedins and edler under performing are the problem. Also Gillis made some boneheaded moves (Feaster bad) and couldnt trade Luongo for free.

AV will find success somewhere else

Old
05-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well yeah, we know, but the thing is a lot of those guys are contributing players. Not key essential pieces.

The question still deserves to be asked: What is wrong with these Chicago Black Hawks and where goest Keith, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, etc?

Really when one looks at it the 2010 run was some magic in a box where a lot of players played the best they've ever played at the same time and ran over Nashville (choke) Vancouver (choke) SJ(huge inexplicable choke) on the way to a cup final against a weak seed Flyers team that somehow got out of the perennially weak EC.

Hawks had an easy ride. The one series people expected to test them, SJ, ended up a sweep. go figure.

My opinion is the Hawks never had to work as hard to win a cup and therefore don't know how to. They got the easiest ride I've seen. An off year for many other clubs.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, I am just saying the 2010 cup winning Hawks were arguably one of the strongest teams to win the cup within the last decade. At the time, I didn't feel their opposition was weak, but to be honest I can't say I thought about it.

The 2013 Hawks are very different team than the 2010 Hawks, and their top players (most notably Toews) aren't playing to the level that they can. Also, it's worthwhile to emphasis the series is only 2-1 for the Wings, it is certainly not lost (not that I'm suggesting you're implying that).

Old
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Amazing how gillis survives despite sewering that franchise with bad deals aplenty
Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
It's amazing how Lowe survived all this time while everybody else gets scapegoated for his failures but that's another story for another thread.

I think AV is a good coach, he just got dealt a bad hand with an aging roster that had gotten progressively worse due to poor Gillis deals, Luongo situation etc. I'm still scratching my head over the Hodgson deal, i knew that would bite Gillis in the arse.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Lowe also isn't dealing Hodgson away for 3rd line grinders who can't even put up points playing with the Sedins.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Hawks had an easy ride. They got the easiest ride I've seen.
Disagree, Carolina had the easiest road to the finals I've ever seen and were extremely fortunate for MA Bergeron's massive brainfart.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Toydarian

I'm generally not one to complain about reffing, but my goodness are the Sens getting shafted in this series. The officials have "missed" far too much.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Chooch

It's AV's fault that unrealistic expectations were put on him.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:55 PM
GreatKeith

That should put to rest the "Pesky Sens" phrase.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
It ends if they lose the next game.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
lol

Sens hopelessly outgunned and outmatched. Like I said going in where were the Sens goals going to come from? I can't see any in the lineup. Worst offensive club in the league by miles.

Not even Anderson could save em tonight which is their one trick pony every night.

Pens in 5 like I said. Easy Peasy.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
It ends if they lose the next game.
The next game is in Pittsburgh. Could the Pens possibly be stupid enough not to finish the deal?

Old
05-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
It's AV's fault that unrealistic expectations were put on him.
Yep, trying to milk a SC out of the pale Sedins and super Kesler is the definition of pissin in the wind.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:29 PM
#ualberta

@reporterchris: Daniel Alfredsson says it's "probably not" feasible for the #sens to beat the #pens three straight games.

Well the captain has given up
He could have just said the cliche thing like we have to take it one game at a time or whatever
I don't think the sens are coming back and I didn't think they were winning this anyway but he shouldn't have said that

Old
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
@reporterchris: Daniel Alfredsson says it's "probably not" feasible for the #sens to beat the #pens three straight games.

Well the captain has given up
He could have just said the cliche thing like we have to take it one game at a time or whatever
I don't think the sens are coming back and I didn't think they were winning this anyway but he shouldn't have said that
Why can't Horcoff be that clutch.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I know hockey guys aren't always the most bright, humble or nice people all the time (make them sound terrible lol, and they're really not all so bad) but Gillis really strikes me as a major *******. Not just a regular level *******, but like a particularly sour, unhappy and arrogant *******.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:28 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Yup agreed

Old
05-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Wonder if MacT will at least kick the tires on AV coming here.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-23-2013, 02:29 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I wonder if the new Canucks coach shifts from AV's situational line-matching system.

I wonder how the Sedins' point-production and level of play is affected by not getting a ridiculous % of offensive-zone starts.

I wonder how Kesler does when given secondary offensive opposition, and likely poorer defensive matchups. Back up to 70-pt scoring range?

Old
05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I know hockey guys aren't always the most bright, humble or nice people all the time (make them sound terrible lol, and they're really not all so bad) but Gillis really strikes me as a major *******. Not just a regular level *******, but like a particularly sour, unhappy and arrogant *******.
Like Father, Like son = Like fanbase, like Gillis

Perfect match with the constant conspiracy theories and scapegoating

Old
05-23-2013, 10:24 AM
joestevens29

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m
Brad Richards says he is not playing tonight. He said Tortorella called him this morning to tell him.

That's a message and a half.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
0ilerman
The King

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m
Brad Richards says he is not playing tonight. He said Tortorella called him this morning to tell him.

That's a message and a half.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423824

Sending a message down 0-3 in the playoffs...
You sit a veteran leader and one of your top players all season, not to mention a proven playoff performer and conn smythe winner? Classic Tortorella trying to steal the spot light and be bigger than the team. He's a joke of a coach, and a move like this seals his fate. Back to looking for a job in the summer. I just hope TSN doesn't give him a gig on the panel this time around. He doesn't deserve it...

Old
05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
#ualberta

NYR is interesting I wonder if they buy out Richards or if torts or sather get fired

Old
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Well yeah, we know, but the thing is a lot of those guys are contributing players. Not key essential pieces.

The question still deserves to be asked: What is wrong with these Chicago Black Hawks and where goest Keith, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, etc?

Really when one looks at it the 2010 run was some magic in a box where a lot of players played the best they've ever played at the same time and ran over Nashville (choke) Vancouver (choke) SJ(huge inexplicable choke) on the way to a cup final against a weak seed Flyers team that somehow got out of the perennially weak EC.

Hawks had an easy ride. The one series people expected to test them, SJ, ended up a sweep. go figure.

My opinion is the Hawks never had to work as hard to win a cup and therefore don't know how to. They got the easiest ride I've seen. An off year for many other clubs.
I don't get saying the Hawks had an easy road to the Cup. They actually had one of the toughest possible. There were not any upsets in the West that year, they had to beat the other two division winners. The Predators, the #7 seed, had 47 wins that season, that's a ridiculously strong #7 seed. The West probably had 7 of the top 10 teams in the NHL. The worst team they played that playoffs were the Flyers, although most would agree Philly was a pretty strong team that had a crappy regular season and turned it on in the playoffs.

The Hawks have replaced a large portion of the depth they lost after 2010, but they're still not what they were in 2010. Bickell is a poor man's Byfuglien (based on how Buff played in 2010), Shaw is a poor man's Andrew Ladd, Stalberg is a poor man's Versteeg. Certainly better than the Andrew Brunette's, Fernando Pisani's, and Ben Smith's than formed the depth in the last two seasons. So there is the depth, but it's still not at the same level.

The biggest difference of all is that Toews simply hasn't produced offensively since the third round of 2010. Plays a great shutdown game, always involved, but your #1 C has to score at some point. The complete lack of production from Toews, and by association Saad, needs to change in a hurry. As in, tonight.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
NYR is interesting I wonder if they buy out Richards or if torts or sather get fired
Richards bought out, Torts fired, Slats to special advisor to new gm Mark Messier.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Expecting LAK to clampdown today. Failing another great performance by Jumbo Joe something like 3-1 Kings EN

Closed Thread