HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I am not a Shinkaruk fan, i think he will be a good NHL player but IMO I would rather have RR, he has top pairing potential and could be a bigger, better version of Niklas Kronwall but I understand what you are saying.
The problem with Shinkaruk is that, like other smurf stars like St. Louis, Briere, etc. it will take him until he fills out to be able to really go into high traffic areas. He may be a great player when he's 22-24, but in a league of men, he will look like a little boy - Alfred E. Shinkaruk.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:28 PM
macleish1974

No one has answered my question: If Lindholm drops to 11th, as GM would you take him or pass even though he might be rated as high as 4th on some boards? I have not seen him play. This assumes both Jones and Nurse are gone by then. Yes I have read the THN report and the ISS report on him.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleish1974 View Post
No one has answered my question: If Lindholm drops to 11th, as GM would you take him or pass even though he might be rated as high as 4th on some boards? I have not seen him play. This assumes both Jones and Nurse are gone by then. Yes I have read the THN report and the ISS report on him.
I would have to think you take him there (assuming he's rated the same on the Flyers board). I'm sure the pro-defensemen crowd wouldn't like it though.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd say yes we take him. Lindholm put up 30 points in 48 games in man's league, and he started that season as a 17 year old.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
domestique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I fear if we draft for need we will screw up this draft. I see Rasmus being a luca sbisa type, Zadorov as a project and Pulock being a one trick powerplay poney. When you look at horvat i see him being a top 9 forward with room to grow. Mantha as a potential top 6 power forward, and Domi and Shinkaruk as skilled wingers in the model of kane and st. louis.
Are you assuming Nurse is off the board by 11?

Old
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by domestique View Post
Are you assuming Nurse is off the board by 11?
Yes Out of the other dmen he is the only one im intrested in. Wish we had that 8 th pick

Old
05-22-2013, 08:32 PM
domestique

Quote:
Yes Out of the other dmen he is the only one im intrested in. Wish we had that 8 th pick
Ditto, I would take Nurse or Risto over BPA, but prolly take BPA over the other D-men. and try to package something with Laughton and Read.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I think Nurse could be there. The top 5 is pretty set followed by Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo, New Jersey and Dallas. The only team in there that doesn't need offense is Edmonton, but there are rumors they are looking for a two way center like Horvat or Monahan.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:58 PM
DecadesofFutility

I am only in favor of drafting an offensive defenseman. I like Morrisey and Pulock, they both display offensive talent worthy of a middle #1 round pick.
I would select Ristolainen if he was available as well.

We have enough defensive defensemen, so not interested in Zadarov or Nurse, not enough offensive upside in my opinon.

I would not be opposed to trading our pick for a good PMD if no offensive defensemen are available at the 11th pick.

I would be against drafting another center or winger unless we plan to trade some of our extras for a PMD.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:19 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I am only in favor of drafting an offensive defenseman. I like Morrisey and Pulock, they both display offensive talent worthy of a middle #1 round pick.
I would select Ristolainen if he was available as well.

We have enough defensive defensemen, so not interested in Zadarov or Nurse, not enough offensive upside in my opinon.

I would not be opposed to trading our pick for a good PMD if no offensive defensemen are available at the 11th pick.

I would be against drafting another center or winger unless we plan to trade some of our extras for a PMD.
We pretty much need everything, I'm in favor of drafting a defensive, offensive dman or a forward. Anything but a goalie with 11.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
BernieParent

"Thank you all. With the 11th overall pick, the Philadelphia Flyers would like to announce that we can't decide among the many excellent prospects still available for the restocking of our prospect pool -- depleted while our franchise ran roughshod over your underachieving line-ups -- and state our intention to take the following 5 players, and I, Paul Holmgren, will personally kick the crap out of any GM who dares to say otherwise.

"Okay, no takers. So for the first of our 5 picks, I'll ask Darnell Nurse to come up on stage. Shut up, MacTavish, you're stupid tanking club embarrassed itself with three 1st overall picks! You'll give us Nurse and you'll like it."

Old
05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I take him in a heart beat. The kid reminds people of Forsberg! You take him amd maybe move someone to snare another pick . But he two will be long gone at 11. He will not get past Lou. So we are back to Sam,Josh or Kerby.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:31 AM
MRxBLACK
Charlie don't surf!

vCash: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
"Thank you all. With the 11th overall pick, the Philadelphia Flyers would like to announce that we can't decide among the many excellent prospects still available for the restocking of our prospect pool -- depleted while our franchise ran roughshod over your underachieving line-ups -- and state our intention to take the following 5 players, and I, Paul Holmgren, will personally kick the crap out of any GM who dares to say otherwise.

"Okay, no takers. So for the first of our 5 picks, I'll ask Darnell Nurse to come up on stage. Shut up, MacTavish, you're stupid tanking club embarrassed itself with three 1st overall picks! You'll give us Nurse and you'll like it."
This would work if Pronger stood behind Homer with his arms crossed.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think Nurse could be there. The top 5 is pretty set followed by Calgary, Edmonton, Buffalo, New Jersey and Dallas. The only team in there that doesn't need offense is Edmonton, but there are rumors they are looking for a two way center like Horvat or Monahan.
The draft would have to break down like this then

jones
mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskian
Lindholm
Monahan
Shinkaruk-Mantha-? I think Buffalo takes Nurse
NJ- Horvat?
Dallas- no clue Needs centers big time.
Philly Nurse.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:

jones
mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskian
Lindholm
Monahan
Shinkaruk-Mantha-? I think Buffalo takes Nurse
NJ- Horvat?
Dallas- no clue Needs centers big time.
Philly Nurse.
With the news about Nichushkin coming over, I think it shapes up like so :

1.Jones
2.Mackinnon
3.Nichushkin
4.Drouin/Barkov
5.Drouin/Barkov
6.Monahan
7.Lindholm
8.Nurse
9.Zadorov
10.Ristolainen
11. Pulock/Morrissey

Old
05-23-2013, 01:54 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
8.Nurse
9.Zadorov
10.Ristolainen
11. Pulock
I could be wrong here but I don't see all 4 of these guys gone by 11th. My guess is 3(2 at worst) will be left on the board by time Philly picks

Old
05-23-2013, 02:01 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I could be wrong here but I don't see all 4 of these guys gone by 11th. My guess is 3(2 at worst) will be left on the board by time Philly picks
I'm not as high on the last 2 as some others are, but I think someone takes Ristolainen in the 8-12 range. Same thing with Pulock/Morrisey

Old
05-23-2013, 02:04 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'm not as high on the last 2 as some others are, but I think someone takes Ristolainen in the 8-12 range. Same thing with Pulock/Morrisey
Dallas and NJ are 2 teams I think will pick forward unless they believe one of the defensemen in question is head and shoulders better then any forward left

Old
05-23-2013, 05:19 AM
domestique

You think Buffalo will take Nurse with already having Myers?

With trading Pominville and possible Vanek down the road??? I would think they would focus on more offense. If they trade Myers by draft day then I could see their interest in Nurse.

Old
05-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

jones
mack
Drouin
Barkov
Nichuskian
Lindholm
Monahan
Shinkaruk I think Buffalo takes Nurse
NJ- Horvat?
Dallas- no clue Needs centers bi
Philly Nurse.
That's how I think it could go with Shinkaruk, Horvat, and Domi being picks 8-10. Buffalo could take a defender but Vanek is gone after this year and there is no high potential offensive winger in their system to replace him. NJ is desperate for forward help as they will probably lose another one of their high scorers this year in David Clarkson. So that leaves Dallas. Domi is only a reach because of his size, something that Nill wouldn't be a afraid of. If Dallas chooses a defenseman, it wouldn't be Nurse since Detroit has always put a higher premium on puck moving ability, where Nurse is still a little raw.

After Jones, the defensemen could go anywhere. I think there will only be one other taken in the top 10 but there could be as many as 4. It's tough to gage because there has been pretty big possible negatives on the next 4 : Nurse's hockey sense, Pulocks skating, Ristolainen's production, Zardorov offensive capabilities. Nurse has everything but if someone views him as lacking hockey sense, they might pass for a forward or a different defensemen instead of drafting another Coburn.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:14 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
This would work if Pronger stood behind Homer with his arms crossed.
Pronger is the perfect addition. Thanks!

There are way too many plausible scenarios with draft order to call, including movement of picks. It will be immensely interesting (read: my ulcers are bleeding like fire hydrants!) to see how the Flyers FO use their picks in this draft.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:22 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
If he is the BPA (which he should be at 11th) -- yes. You take him.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
If he is the BPA (which he should be at 11th) -- yes. You take him.
Then what do you do with the other centers you have on the team? Who is getting traded? Who is moving to wing?

1- Giroux
2- Schenn
3- Couturier
4- Laughton
5- Lindholm
6- Cousins

Cousins seems like he would become an after thought so you don't really have to count him. Trade or move to wing. That leaves five more centers and only four spots (but more realistically three spots) available. Is moving Laughton or Schenn to wing an easy transition? Will they be ok with that move? Now you have Lindholm or someone playing on the fourth line with Zac Rinaldo and Joe Schmo. Is that smart? If not, then someone else is ALSO going to be traded or moved to wing. To me, it doesn't help the organization to have this many centers all around the same age with only a few spots for them to be. It simply doesn't make sense to draft another center that high unless you are also planning to trade players or move players to a new position.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Then what do you do with the other centers you have on the team? Who is getting traded? Who is moving to wing?

1- Giroux
2- Schenn
3- Couturier
4- Laughton
5- Lindholm
6- Cousins

Cousins seems like he would become an after thought so you don't really have to count him. Trade or move to wing. That leaves five more centers and only four spots (but more realistically three spots) available. Is moving Laughton or Schenn to wing an easy transition? Will they be ok with that move? Now you have Lindholm or someone playing on the fourth line with Zac Rinaldo and Joe Schmo. Is that smart? If not, then someone else is ALSO going to be traded or moved to wing. To me, it doesn't help the organization to have this many centers all around the same age with only a few spots for them to be. It simply doesn't make sense to draft another center that high unless you are also planning to trade players or move players to a new position.
If Lindholm drops to 11, you figure it out and make it work. You dont pass on someone that good. Until Cousins proves he can even be a good AHL player, you cant bank on him in an NHL spot. Schenn could move to a wing and one of Couturier or Laughton could be traded.

Giroux
Lindholm/Schenn
Laughton/Lindholm

Schenn could be on a wing and moved to center during injuries.
Lindholm could play another year in the SEL or AHL if he's eligible.
Laughton could play a season in the AHL if he's eligible.

Couturier and Cousins traded in a package for a top pairing defenseman.

You make it work, IMO.

Last edited by StoneHands: 05-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Lindholm is considered a center and wing. He has done very well at both. I think the idea would be Lindholm ad a wing.

Closed Thread