HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be the GM Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 06:02 PM
h0ckeyman

vCash: 500
Burmistrov? Wants out, what is he worth?

Old
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

It's going to be a long offseason, so making proposals is an entertaining way to pass the time and makes for good discussions. But shouldn't 2 questions be answered first.
Is Torts staying or leaving?
If he stays, will he hire an offensive coach?

The type of players that are proposed to be traded for need to fit the new system.

Moreover, with
Kreider - Stepan - Nash,
Fasth - Brass - Callahan
Hagelin - Lindberg - Miller
Asham/Pyatt - Boyle - Dorsett
Hrivik/Yogan - MSC - Thomas

McD - Girardi
Staal/DZ - Stralman
Moore - McI

The Rangers have the players to contend or the young cost controlled assets to trade for better players. But have to decide which way the team in going.

The team has to make a decision on Clowe, I am not inclined to give up another 2nd rd pick for him at this point due to his concussion issues. But what the above list shows is a definite lack of grit in the top 9. That will have to be addressed one way or the other.
What the D line up shows is there are no shooters from the right point still, i have been harping on this the whole season, this must be addressed as well.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
My off-season plan:

Trades:

D Marc Staal for RW Bobby Ryan
D Sam Noreau and 4th round pick for D Tomas Kundratek
C Brian Boyle for C Derek Roy's rights (sign at 3M/2YR)
2014 2nd and 2013 3rd for D Cody Franson

UFA Departures/Signings
LW Taylor Pyatt
RW Arron Asham

C Boyd Gordon (1.1M/1YR)
LW Ryane Clowe (3.8M/1YR)

Buyouts:
C Brad Richards

2013-2014 lineup:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Ryan-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Roy-Callahan
Clowe-Miller-Dorsett
Powe-Gordon-Lindberg

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Stralman
Moore-Franson
Kundratek

Can Torts and Sullivan.
Does this work on NHL13?????

(Because it won't in real life)

Old
05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Rust Heisenberg

I just want Zibanejad.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Do we fire Torts and hire Vigneault?

05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
no he is just as bad

Old
05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
RangerGuru

I am one of the few Staal haters. Sure he is great at taking the puck from the defender, but he is just as good at giving it right back up. Del Zotto was just awful for most of the season and the playoffs. As for our D, both are more of liabilities than assets. Trade-wise, however, both are excellent assets. Top 6 forwards we have. Depth we have. We need another actual scoring threat, which nowadays is different from a top 6 forward. Bobby Ryan is an excellent target as someone here mentioned before. Jeff Skinner is another (Staal for Skinner trade makes a ton of sense, seeing the potential revenue the Canes would make from promotions and the value both teams get, very fair swap)

The next step is to fire Torts and Sully. Sully's PP was just awful. Torts ran the PP in BUF years back as an assistant coach, and it was tops in the league. Now he hands the reigns to his assistant, Sully, and it is terrible. Sully is the PP problem and he must go. Torts is the reason scorers lose their scoring. His style of play doesn't allow the scorer to be free to score, he is instead looking for more 2 way players and puck movement, which sounds great, but hasn't worked at all. Guy Boucher is the perfect candidate. He let Stamkos do as he pleased, and the result? 60 goals. Nash should have no problem scoring 40-45 goals under Boucher. Jokes about the scars aside, he'd be a tremendous coach for this team. Dave Tippet could be a candidate for assistant, as well as Lindy Ruff (unless he finds a starting job somewhere). This team has great potential and the pieces for a run, they just need the right person running it.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Well, herein lies the problem.

Maybe in a couple of years, Stepan/Brassard can approach Bergeron/Krejci levels (I still remain very skeptical that will ever happen). Maybe in a couple of years, John Moore becomes the PP QB we desperately need. By that time, Lundqvist is in his mid-30's.

...and lets face it, when his game starts to slip, this team is in for a major world of hurt. Do you think the current personnel can develop to the point where that doesnt make a negative impact?
I think the current group can develop to a point where they can give Hank more goal support, and be the ones that win games more often than they do right now, as opposed to forcing Hank to steal them. All that before his game starts to slip.

However, in the immediate term, I don't see that happening. Unless we see a lot of "what ifs" come to fruition next fall. I.e., Kreider playing like a top-six forward, some combination of Zucc, OL, Fast, Miller and Hrivik shoring up the 3rd line, and us finding another scoring winger to compliment Nash, Callahan and Kreider in the top-six. PLUS someone emerging as a PP QB.

Once again, there are simply too many problems to address in one summer.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i want us to go get someone who can shoot the damn puck from the point on the PP.

Go get me MAB at the very least. play him on the 4th line sparingly, or as a 7th defenseman, and just have him blast pucks from the point on the PP.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:41 PM
h0ckeyman

I honestly think that while a big shot from the point will help, it won't solve this powerplay. Only coaching can completely fix that.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
I honestly think that while a big shot from the point will help, it won't solve this powerplay. Only coaching can completely fix that.
Someone who can win an opening pp faceoff and Richards starting a new career on his fathers fishing boat.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Sather moves up to just President of the team.

Gorton becomes GM

Fire Torts and hire Lindy Ruff

Buyout Richards

Take a flier on Daniel Briere who will be bought out by the Flyers. Sign him to a one year contract. He still has good hands and with his close proximity to his kids in Philly he would probably sign here really cheap. His relationship with Ruff wouldn't hurt either.

Don't resign Clowe OR sign Clarkson. Sign Matt Hendrix

Briere Brassard Nash
Hagelin Stepan Callahan
Kreider Hendrix Dorsett
Pyatt Boyle Asham
Some pretty good suggestions here but I wouldn't hire Ruff. Honestly, Torts is not going anywhere right now anyway.
Btw, you can't have Brassard or Stepan for that matter as a #1 center because they're too small and would get eaten alive by the legit #1C's in the league.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerGuru View Post
I am one of the few Staal haters. Sure he is great at taking the puck from the defender, but he is just as good at giving it right back up. Del Zotto was just awful for most of the season and the playoffs. As for our D, both are more of liabilities than assets. Trade-wise, however, both are excellent assets. Top 6 forwards we have. Depth we have. We need another actual scoring threat, which nowadays is different from a top 6 forward. Bobby Ryan is an excellent target as someone here mentioned before. Jeff Skinner is another (Staal for Skinner trade makes a ton of sense, seeing the potential revenue the Canes would make from promotions and the value both teams get, very fair swap)

The next step is to fire Torts and Sully. Sully's PP was just awful. Torts ran the PP in BUF years back as an assistant coach, and it was tops in the league. Now he hands the reigns to his assistant, Sully, and it is terrible. Sully is the PP problem and he must go. Torts is the reason scorers lose their scoring. His style of play doesn't allow the scorer to be free to score, he is instead looking for more 2 way players and puck movement, which sounds great, but hasn't worked at all. Guy Boucher is the perfect candidate. He let Stamkos do as he pleased, and the result? 60 goals. Nash should have no problem scoring 40-45 goals under Boucher. Jokes about the scars aside, he'd be a tremendous coach for this team. Dave Tippet could be a candidate for assistant, as well as Lindy Ruff (unless he finds a starting job somewhere). This team has great potential and the pieces for a run, they just need the right person running it.
I respectfully disagree about the potential of this team as presently constructed. We are too small, slow, and not nearly physical enough.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:48 PM
mrjimmyg89
16 wins to go

Offseason outlook V1:

UFAs:
Steve Eminger - Worth Keeping as 6th or 7th. Showed he can play in that spot for 10-12 minutes
Matt Gilroy - Let go or sign in AHL if nobody wants him.
Roman Hamrlik - Retire
Ryane Clowe - With what was sent the other way, there needs to be an attempt to resign. 2 concussions in a month sucks. See if he takes around 4 million. If not, let him walk.

RFAs: (NOTE- No RFAs will be given more than 2 years)
Stepan - 2.3 million
McDonagh - 2.5 million
Hagelin - 2 million
Zuccarello - 1.2 million
Sauer - Retained by tendering offer. Would love to see him back somewhere. Hopefully, his life is getting back to normal
AHLers should be retained on cheap 2 way deals

Buyout Brad Richards

See if there are any takers on the following players: Pyatt, Powe, Boyle, DZ, Girardi

Nash, Brassard, Stepan, and Callahan should be the only skater in the top 6 currently on the team. I would love to make Hags a 3rd liner.

Have the kids battle for the bottom 6 spots: Miller, Kreider, Lindberg, Fasth, MSC, Thomas, Jean, Hrivik, Palmieri, Yogan, and Bourque should get looks in camp. Come ready. Dorsett, Asham, and those retained from my trade list would battle as well.

There should be a short list of guaranteed spots on the roster that are currently there. Those should go to these players: Stepan, Nash, Cally, Brassard, McDonagh, Staal, Stralman, Girardi, DZ. Even the guys on the trade list, sans Girardi and DZ should not have guaranteed spots.

Players they should be after in free agency to me:

Mark Streit - If they trade Girardi, Streit would provide an offensive punch. Doubt he would come here, but you never know.

Pierre-Marc Bouchard - Minny most likely lets him walk. Talented, yet can be injury prone. A lot of skill. something this team needs

Michael Ryder - Scorer. Think he returns to MTL. If he hits the market, should be good. Cup winner and good playoff performer. 30 goal guy.

Mason Raymond. Tons of speed. Great 3rd liner, solid 2nd line option. Canucks going through coaching change might look to shake up team. He might not return

Others: Stalberg, Nystrom,

Old
05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
darko

I've stuck up for Richards on these boards a lot but I'm at the point where I wouldn't even blink if they bought him out this offseason. He just looks cooked.

As for Clowe. Any one think he may accept a short term deal? With cap staying the same (or thereabouts) and him having a bad year, do you think he may take a 1 year deal? Have a big season and then try and cash in 12 months later.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
No thanks.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:05 PM
darko

Also the only way I'd move Staal or Girardi is we can get a top end forward. Same as MDZ. Girardi will bounce back next season. Looking forward to Staal/Girardi pairing next season.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:09 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Heavy shot from the point does not solve a Powerplay. The Bruins have had a TERRIBLE powerplay (14.8% versus NYR 15.7%) despite having the heaviest shot in the league (and have so for multiple years).

Interesting stat from this year:

Rangers@MSG: 19.3%
Rangers Away: 11.4%

Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
aufheben
Jung at heart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
heavy shot from the point does not solve a powerplay. The bruins have had a terrible powerplay (14.8% versus nyr 15.7%) despite having the heaviest shot in the league (and have so for multiple years).

Interesting stat from this year:

rangers@msg: 19.3%
rangers away: 11.4%
"shooooot!!!"

Old
05-23-2013, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gagner is one year away from group III. Group II w/arb rights this summer.

Burmistrov is the type of player you would trade DZ for. Burmistrov and another player. Only issue is Burmistov hasn't established himself as a top flight NHL player. DZ is a top 4 D in this league. Those guys are hard to find.

Quote:
Two league sources have told the Free Press Burmistrov, due to become a restricted free agent on July 5, has no intention of re-signing with the Jets.

Burmistrov wished to be dealt at the trade deadline and the Jets worked in vain to move him. It appears a trade is still the preferred course of action.

Burmistrov and head coach Claude Noel beefed on and off over the past two seasons and the relationship hit an all-time low when the player was a healthy scratch four straight games in March.

The Jets attempted to trade Burmistrov and reportedly had discussions with the Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders at the deadline. The names Jakob Silfverberg, Drew Stafford and Kyle Okposo have all been attached to Burmistrov trade rumours.

In 194 games over the past three seasons the 21-year-old Burmistrov has collected 23 goals and 58 points. Opinions vary on him -- from bust to ready to bust out. Burmistrov can skate, stickhandle and defend but has yet to define himself as a player.

Many young players such as Burmistrov have gone through early career growing pains only to break out a little further down the road of development.
Quote:
Contacted Tuesday, Burmistrov's agent Mark Gandler had little to say.

"The only question I'm going to answer is to say that Alex is not going to sign in the KHL," said the longtime NHL agent.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...208450711.html

Burmistrov wants to play in the NHL. He made some comments in his draft year which is why he played in the OHL.

Did the Rangers like Burmistov in 2010? He went right before McIlrath. The Rangers do like to acquire players they liked in a previous draft. Gorton did that in Boston with Rask.

Winnipeg has #13 in the first round.

DZ for Burmistrov and #13.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
“He was a star on the ice this season and one of the stars of the Draft Combine,” said Clark, who runs the Rangers’ draft with Jeff Gorten. “Everyone on our staff and anyone I talked to with the other teams came away with such a strong impression of the kid.

“His English is strong. When I saw he liked to joke around, I decided to bust his chops a bit. I said to him, ‘Look, we’ve been good at keeping our Russian players here, like (Evgeni) Gratchev. How do I know if you don’t make the NHL next season, you’re not going to run home to the KHL’?

“Burmistrov looked at me like I was crazy. He leaned forward in his chair and said, ‘Sir, I went to Canada and played junior hockey for 80 dollars a week! I could have made a lot more in Russia. Do you think I did that so I could play in the KHL next year? I’m going to play in the NHL. I’m staying here.’ That was really impressive.”
http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...rd-is-the-bpa/

Clark spoke to Chris Botta about Burmistrov before the 2010 draft.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:51 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Too many questions with the Rangers D to trade Del Z.

We all see how little depth they had once Staal got hurt. They have players, but outside of the top 6, nothing special.

Will Staal's eyesight be ok to play? And what about Strahlman now? Is he concussed or did he break his nose/orbital bone?

They need to sign D over the summer and maybe not a name one. Sometimes a younger one like Drewiske, Sulzer, Fistric can be molded into a serviceable or good product in the system. Someone who unlike Gilroy or Hamrlik you actually don't wince when they have to play a few games. Emminger's done a very good job over the last few years.

I'm still all about giving Babchuk a shot. I just don't know if his heart is in North America after his comments that he expects to play in the KHL.

Don't assume McLIrath will be instantly ready or that Noureau or Hughes can just step in.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Sather moves up to just President of the team.

Gorton becomes GM

Fire Torts and hire Lindy Ruff

Buyout Richards

Take a flier on Daniel Briere who will be bought out by the Flyers. Sign him to a one year contract. He still has good hands and with his close proximity to his kids in Philly he would probably sign here really cheap. His relationship with Ruff wouldn't hurt either.

Don't resign Clowe OR sign Clarkson. Sign Matt Hendrix

Briere Brassard Nash
Hagelin Stepan Callahan
Kreider Hendrix Dorsett
Pyatt Boyle Asham
Sather getting promoted?

Old
05-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gagner is one year away from group III. Group II w/arb rights this summer.

Burmistrov is the type of player you would trade DZ for. Burmistrov and another player. Only issue is Burmistov hasn't established himself as a top flight NHL player. DZ is a top 4 D in this league. Those guys are hard to find.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...208450711.html

Burmistrov wants to play in the NHL. He made some comments in his draft year which is why he played in the OHL.

Did the Rangers like Burmistov in 2010? He went right before McIlrath. The Rangers do like to acquire players they liked in a previous draft. Gorton did that in Boston with Rask.

Winnipeg has #13 in the first round.

DZ for Burmistrov and #13.
Done, done done done. Where do we sign?

05-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Sather getting promoted?

Sather is already team President. Do you understand how a promotion works? You can't be promoted to a job you already have.

Closed Thread