HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 05:14 PM
SwedeAmerican

vCash: 500
How has the atmosphere been at MSG for the playoff games? I know last year people said it was amazing and this year everyone's talking about the atmosphere at the Coliseum. How's it been at the newly renovated MSG?

Old
05-13-2013, 05:22 PM
goalsequalvictory

vCash: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeAmerican View Post
How has the atmosphere been at MSG for the playoff games? I know last year people said it was amazing and this year everyone's talking about the atmosphere at the Coliseum. How's it been at the newly renovated MSG?
The Garden was rocking yesterday afternoon, really a fun game to be at.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Quote:
Wasn't impressed for Game 3, but the Rangers were down 2-0 at that point so that may be somewhat unfair.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:32 PM
SwedeAmerican

All I keep hearing about is how great the atmosphere was at the Coliseum. I don't want to be overshadowed by isles fans! lol

Old
05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
All I keep hearing about is how great the atmosphere was at the Coliseum. I don't want to be overshadowed by isles fans! lol
Atmosphere at the Coliseum is far better but that will change when they move to Barclays Center. Higher ticket prices + what will probably be a more corporate crowd + moving out of a building that is conducive to noise = not as good of an atmosphere.

MSG is what it is nowadays. There will be points where it's extremely quiet but when it's an important part of the game, something big happens, or the team gains momentum it'll get really loud.

05-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Giacomin

MSG was awesome yesterday. Didn,t go to game 1 or 2 so I can,t compare.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
RangersYanks22

Quote:
Those who appeared at the Mausoleum were a bunch of bandwagon fans. If they were really true Islosers fans, where were they during the regular season the past 10 years?!?!?!?!?! The Islosers were consistently dead last (or close to) in the NHL in attendance and TV ratings. They make the playoffs and all of a sudden they start showing up. I'm from Long Island, and I asked a lot of those "fake fans" questions about the Isles, and they didn't know how to answer any of them. Us Rangers fans aren't like that. We always sell out during the regular season and NEVER give up on our team even when they suck. Look at 1998-2004. Enough said. Screw the Isles!

Old
05-22-2013, 05:43 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

MSG was granted a 15-year permit for the arena. But the document details some interesting plans for the areas outside the arena the Garden has.

"The entrance areas to Penn Station at the northwest and southwest corners of the MSG Site would be visually delineated with decorative concrete unit paving, arranged in an elliptical pattern. Wayfinding signage, informational signage, and plaza identification plaques would be introduced to improve pedestrian orientation, and etched logos of the Arena and its major sports teams would be set into the pavement. Semicircular benches with LED underlighting would be installed to create seating clusters. Existing round vent structures located adjacent to the Penn
Station entrances would be clad with a metal screen, depicting images associated with the Arena, and would be wrapped with additional bench seating.

MSG proposes to enliven the West 31st Street and West 33rd Street streetscapes at the pedestrian level by adding interpretative pavement inlays commemorating significant people and events associated with the MSG Arena’s history, as well as by vitrines to be installed on the facades of the MSG Complex. A metal screen with visual imagery would be installed around the portion of the Taxiway located to the north of the Pedestrian Bridge and the adjacent open areas, used for Arena loading operations, so as to visually screen and demarcate such loading areas. The portion
of the Taxiway located directly beneath the Pedestrian Bridge would be enhanced with new lighting and with “Garden of Dreams” pavers that recognize contributions to the charitable Garden of Dreams Foundation."

Also has some info on the signage they want to put outside on the west side. Pages 16 and 17 here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cpc/130139.pdf

Old
05-22-2013, 08:41 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR957 View Post
MSG was granted a 15-year permit for the arena. But the document details some interesting plans for the areas outside the arena the Garden has.

"The entrance areas to Penn Station at the northwest and southwest corners of the MSG Site would be visually delineated with decorative concrete unit paving, arranged in an elliptical pattern. Wayfinding signage, informational signage, and plaza identification plaques would be introduced to improve pedestrian orientation, and etched logos of the Arena and its major sports teams would be set into the pavement. Semicircular benches with LED underlighting would be installed to create seating clusters. Existing round vent structures located adjacent to the Penn
Station entrances would be clad with a metal screen, depicting images associated with the Arena, and would be wrapped with additional bench seating.

MSG proposes to enliven the West 31st Street and West 33rd Street streetscapes at the pedestrian level by adding interpretative pavement inlays commemorating significant people and events associated with the MSG Arena’s history, as well as by vitrines to be installed on the facades of the MSG Complex. A metal screen with visual imagery would be installed around the portion of the Taxiway located to the north of the Pedestrian Bridge and the adjacent open areas, used for Arena loading operations, so as to visually screen and demarcate such loading areas. The portion
of the Taxiway located directly beneath the Pedestrian Bridge would be enhanced with new lighting and with “Garden of Dreams” pavers that recognize contributions to the charitable Garden of Dreams Foundation."

Also has some info on the signage they want to put outside on the west side. Pages 16 and 17 here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cpc/130139.pdf
this proposal is by a city councilwoman, Amanda Burden, who probably being bribed by Jim Dolan. It's a 15 year permit extension but with provisions that the permit becomes permanent if MSG makes a few improvements here and there to Penn station.

IMO for the permit to be permanent, MSG should give up its property tax exemption and pay its fair share

Last edited by GordonGecko: 05-22-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Is it this summer that they are redoing the floor for a better ice surface? or is it the summer after? I hope its this summer.

Old
05-22-2013, 10:05 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

This is supposed to be the 3rd and final phase of the remodeling, so new floor, ice plant, scoreboard, entrance hall, etc... all this summer

Old
05-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This is supposed to be the 3rd and final phase of the remodeling, so new floor, ice plant, scoreboard, entrance hall, etc... all this summer
Does anyone here have a link for anything mentioning a new ice surface? This is the only place I've been hearing that.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
05-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Does anyone here have a link for anything mentioning a new ice surface? This is the only place I've been hearing that.
I think it was a rumor started here because fans are sensitive about hearing the ice is still terrible, even hundreds of millions of dollars later.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:21 AM
islandxtreme26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
I think it was a rumor started here because fans are sensitive about hearing the ice is still terrible, even hundreds of millions of dollars later.
It's not a rumor - unfortunately, I do not have a link to show this, but our firm has been working with Turner since Phase One and I have been on and off at the site since then. The entire floor is being chopped out, all piping is being replaced, and the entire ice plant is being replaced. It will be a brand new system when all is said and done. If the season ends tonight, work will begin overnight on clearing out Owner Occupied Spaces and the building is turned over to us tomorrow morning. As soon as I can get pictures up this summer, I will.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Jax1166

Why on earth would any of you want the old MSG?
The new one is absolutely beautiful.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
because the new one sucks. crowded concourses, no leg room, no atmosphere. id much rather have it the way it was again.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
The new "Garden" is a generic, corporate friendly arena. I liked sitting up in the old 400s and yelling my ass off from the shadows. Now, the Garden is quiet except during a big play. It's boring. Boring to the point where I sell most of the games instead of attending them.

There's no more 10th floor entrance, so getting into and out of the portals is a cluster****. In addition, the walkway in front of the 300s was removed so getting around the concourse is a ****ing pain in the ass. Even though I'm close to the restroom, I get up during the TV timeout after the 6 min mark, do my business and just watch the game from a nearby TV.

In the old Garden, rows were no more than 10 seats wide. Getting in and out was easy. Now, the sections are 20 seats deep which is terrible.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:18 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
The new Garden sucks. It is very corporate, concourses are over-crowded, the sections are way too big, and its impossible to move around. I would take the old MSG any day over this one.

05-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Living in the past?

I have great memories of the "old" Garden.

But it was most def time to move on. I like to move into the future. What's the alternative?

05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
It is terrible that is why. It is so crowded now that you cant walk around the inside of the garden, its like Nassau where every single person walks on the outside rim with all the food stands.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
It is terrible that is why. It is so crowded now that you cant walk around the inside of the garden, its like Nassau where every single person walks on the outside rim with all the food stands.
Yes, but that's because all the jack-wagons that used to walk in front of your seats can't do that anymore. You can't have it both ways.

Yeah, it's crowded. It's Madison Square Garden! Not the "pru"!

Old
05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
because the new one sucks. crowded concourses, no leg room, no atmosphere. id much rather have it the way it was again.
Glad we agree!

Old
05-23-2013, 10:02 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

look, fat loser Dolan's new trophy girlfriend is a Rangers fan:

Old
05-23-2013, 10:28 PM
broadwayblue

The new garden has better sight lines. Beyond that it's a disgrace. Concourses are an absolute disaster. Even worse I waited on line for nearly 20 minutes tonight only to be told Carnegie deli was out of corned beef...it was the first freaking intermission!

Old
05-24-2013, 07:08 PM
vstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
The entire floor is being chopped out, all piping is being replaced, and the entire ice plant is being replaced. It will be a brand new system when all is said and done.
I'm glad this is being done. We're redoing the rink again right now at the rink work in and we're constantly running problems because the piping is old (and pretty much installed wrong) and the guys who did it years ago did it completely backwards. Although MSG is not that injury prone from what I understand as it uses a concrete floor (as every single rink should be using) and better guys to build it.

Closed Thread