HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Did you happen to watch Varlamov?

Goalie A had a 2.81 GAA and a .915 SV%
Goalie B had a 3.02 GAA and a .903 SV%

The homerism on this board is out of control. It's laughable.
Miller is obviously not horrible, but he isn't the answer either. He's 32. He would need to be traded somewhere that could win a cup within three years. We likely aren't that team. There's just no point.

Plus, I haven't given up on varly. He didn't have anything to work with his year.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:19 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Christian Erhoff is not much better than Erik Johnson
Andrej Sekera is not better than Tyson Barrie

Tyler Myers, Mike Weber, Alexander Sultzer, Adam Pardy are not much better than Hedja, Elliot, Hunwick and a healthy Wilson.

I wish people would quit using our defense as an excuse to why Varlamov had a pathetic season. It was not the D's fault that Varly gave up at least one soft goal per game. It was not the D's fault that he had terrible rebound control. It is not the D's fault that Varly's has the confidence of a 5 year old girl.

The fact of the matter is that Ryan Miller is a class above Varlamov. If we want to win now and if we can aquire him, we would be foolish to pass because we have Semyon Varlamov, who at this point, has to fight to even be named the starter for next season with JS Giguere.
Sekera is easily much better than Barrie...and this is coming from a huge Barrie fan.

But regardless of how much I like him, he has only amassed 42 games played.

It's clear that you have an obvious bias/hatred towards Varlamov, and I really don't know why, but it's getting a bit old to ONLY post about it when he has what you perceived to be a bad game, but completely disappear when he has a good game.

And for the record, Miller has had a better defense in front of him and still hasn't done much better the last couple of years.

05-22-2013, 11:25 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

vCash: 50
Quote:
Christian Erhoff is not much better than Erik Johnson
Andrej Sekera is not better than Tyson Barrie

Tyler Myers, Mike Weber, Alexander Sultzer, Adam Pardy are not much better than Hedja, Elliot, Hunwick and a healthy Wilson.

I wish people would quit using our defense as an excuse to why Varlamov had a pathetic season. It was not the D's fault that Varly gave up at least one soft goal per game. It was not the D's fault that he had terrible rebound control. It is not the D's fault that Varly's has the confidence of a 5 year old girl.

The fact of the matter is that Ryan Miller is a class above Varlamov. If we want to win now and if we can aquire him, we would be foolish to pass because we have Semyon Varlamov, who at this point, has to fight to even be named the starter for next season with JS Giguere.
who's being the homer now? , i would take sekera over barrie , and the 4 following guys you listed over our guys. wilson's not in the lineup half the time, and you ommited zanon who plays more than elliot, wilson or barrie.

i'm not using it as an excuse it's just another factor, varly would probably have had a better season with a better d core than one of an ahl all star team line up, varly was unreal to start the season shades of anderson, sure he really plugged up the second half , but i'd rather bank on the varly that could be over the miller that will be when all our players are in their prime, miller is without a doubt better but he's not the goalie i want to put all the eggs in the basket for, don't want to wake up with a kiprusoff scenario three years down the road and have miller as a barely passable goaltender.

varly will be given the helm next year as he has at the beginning of the last two season's hopefully with a coach, improved D and a system varly will not falter like he did this season.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:56 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
who's being the homer now? , i would take sekera over barrie , and the 4 following guys you listed over our guys. wilson's not in the lineup half the time, and you ommited zanon who plays more than elliot, wilson or barrie.

i'm not using it as an excuse it's just another factor, varly would probably have had a better season with a better d core than one of an ahl all star team line up, varly was unreal to start the season shades of anderson, sure he really plugged up the second half , but i'd rather bank on the varly that could be over the miller that will be when all our players are in their prime, miller is without a doubt better but he's not the goalie i want to put all the eggs in the basket for, don't want to wake up with a kiprusoff scenario three years down the road and have miller as a barely passable goaltender.

varly will be given the helm next year as he has at the beginning of the last two season's hopefully with a coach, improved D and a system varly will not falter like he did this season.
Varly's compete level, skill, age, and past play is what keeps my faith in him. We've seen him steal games regardless of our defense.

Hes also not in his prime yet by any means. Quick and Bernier both have had their ups and downs. We need to be patient with Varlamov IMO. Varly has shown growth in the way he plays as well, which helps me believe that his deficiencies can be coached. You can't teach his competitiveness or his pure talent, you can coach him into being better with his rebound control and positioning.

He'll make us regret it if we're not patient, again IMO.

We REALLY really, really need a full time goalie coach as well.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:02 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Varly Varly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Varly's compete level, skill, age, and past play is what keeps my faith in him. We've seen him steal games regardless of our defense.

Hes also not in his prime yet by any means. Quick and Bernier both have had their ups and downs. We need to be patient with Varlamov IMO.

He'll make us regret it if we're not, again IMO.

We REALLY really, really need a full time goalie coach as well.
that's why i'm not opposed to roy coming on as a coach of the team, i am certain he would he able to help varly and get him in the right mind set, the skill is there for varly like EJ , we just need to get our "core" players onto a page where the level of consistency is better than than what is has been as of late. if varly plays like he has back when he was in the playoffs on washington with a consistent level than ya he's gunna be good.

i'm patient but with a goaltender with his confidence level i think he's either going to be that 1# goalie or his confidence is going to be destroyed and he doesn't pan out either way unless we start winning i bet there's a chance he bolts to the KHL.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:27 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLetain21 View Post
Everybodies favorite rumor churner Eklund thinks Colorado is one team that could make a offer for Ryan Miller. He's still got a good 3-5 years left of superstar goaltending. I'd love to acquire him. Would probably have to trade Stastny as part of deal to make the money work with the cap.

Stastny and Varlamov for Miller and 2nd round pick?

We get a legit starter with consistency and someone to groom Pickard or Sami.
hell no. Varly is just as good as Miller and could be even better if he can stop getting his confidence rattled.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:42 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
hell no. Varly is just as good as Miller and could be even better if he can stop getting his confidence rattled.
You know we can argue that drafting based on need isn't a good idea all day, but holly **** do we need Seth Jones in a bad way.

Hes the consensus BPA, and he fits our most serious need. It's perfect really.

I honestly believe drafting Jones will resonate through our lineup for years and years. Our offense, our goal-tending, and our Defense all could get better in the next two years because of one player.

A forward cannot do that, I don't care who he is.

(This is a little dramatic, but I'm excited. I don't think any of us really thought we'd have a chance at Jones or Mackinnon until the very end of the season.)

Old
05-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Avs71

Top 6 scoring forwards combined totals, for each team in the West that made the playoffs:

Chicago: GP-275 Goals-91
Los Angeles: GP-285 Goals-84
San Jose: GP- 262 Goals-78
Anaheim: GP-275 Goals-74
Colorado: GP-258 Goals-71
Detroit: GP-267 Goals-70
St. Louis: GP-269 Goals-66
Vancouver: GP-276 Goals-66
Minnesota: GP-270 Goals-64

This may be completely irrelevant, but I think it shows how if the Avs could get better scoring defencemen (consistent goaltending wouldn't hurt either), they have a forward group that could score enough to get to the playoffs.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
zech
@zech_de

Stastny + 2014 1st round pick to WPG for Tobias Enstrom and Alexander Burmistrov.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech View Post
Stastny + 2014 1st round pick to WPG for Tobias Enstrom and Alexander Burmistrov.
The team won't be changing enough for the Avs to risk trading away their 1st round 2014 pick, IMO.

05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
I'd probably do that deal, but I would try awfully hard to change that 2014 1st (even though it is a weak draft) to a prospect + 2nd/3rd.

This defense is a top 10 defense as soon as 14-15:

Enstrom-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Barrie

Old
05-23-2013, 10:42 AM
zech
@zech_de

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'd probably do that deal, but I would try awfully hard to change that 2014 1st (even though it is a weak draft) to a prospect + 2nd/3rd.
Really? I heard nothing but good things about Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Chase De Leo and Joshua Ho-Sang. Probably a bit early to call the 2014 draft weak, isn't it?

Old
05-23-2013, 10:49 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Really? I heard nothing but good things about Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Chase De Leo and Joshua Ho-Sang. Probably a bit early to call the 2014 draft weak, isn't it?
Nope I think the first round (are all others really) is pretty weak in comparison to 13 and 15. There will always be some good talent in the first round, especially in the top 5, and I don't think the Avs pick in that range next year (I expect 10-15).

The best 14 player I have seen so far is Nylander, he looks like he could be really good.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:38 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 11m
The Colorado Avalanche will be VERY busy this off season. Am hearing Ryan Miller is a real target of there's. Want to add a top 4 D as well

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 10m
Statsny's days in Colorado look to be numbered as well #Avs

(not a reliable source, but it is the offseason and we need something to talk about)

Old
05-23-2013, 11:41 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 11m
The Colorado Avalanche will be VERY busy this off season. Am hearing Ryan Miller is a real target of there's. Want to add a top 4 D as well

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 10m
Statsny's days in Colorado look to be numbered as well #Avs

(not a reliable source, but it is the offseason and we need something to talk about)
Miller? Really?

Moving Stastny to make room for MacKinnon down the center

HFBoards implode.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Nope I think the first round (are all others really) is pretty weak in comparison to 13 and 15. There will always be some good talent in the first round, especially in the top 5, and I don't think the Avs pick in that range next year (I expect 10-15).

The best 14 player I have seen so far is Nylander, he looks like he could be really good.
I hear the same things.

The 2014 just doesn't look to be as strong. Not saying there won't be any talent in it, but just not the same type of depth as this years.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Miller? Really?

Moving Stastny to make room for MacKinnon down the center

HFBoards implode.

If the Avs want Mac it would sense for them to move Stastny. With the reaction the Miller rumor got earlier, that alone might bring it down.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
After seeing how good I think Jones can be offensively, I'm starting to shift gears on who the best partner for EJ might be. Before I thought a more offensive guy would be first choice, but now I'm starting to wonder about that.

If we have Jones, and one or both of Elliott and Barrie on the other two pairings, that would mean that we don't have any pairings that have two guys capable of playing good defense. Essentially no shutdown pair. I think Jones can have a good defensive game, but that might be asking for too much his first few seasons.

Braydon Coburn has always been my backup choice, but I think I'm starting to think he may be the perfect choice. He's also more realistic given Philly's need to cut salary, and he will be more affordable than a guy like Yandle. Coincidentally, who the Flyer's may pursue themselves, and would then very likely move the LH Coburn. I think I'd move the #32 pick for him, given he's under contract another three years at a very reasonable $4.5M.

He's not just a defensive guy either which makes him perfect. He's a 25-35 pt guy, which IMO is also what EJ is at worst. So you lean on them as your shutdown duo you match up against guys, and who also move the puck well and chip in offensively. Then you let Jones and Elliott/Barrie play in the more offensive situations.

I know I'm one of the few that isn't worried about trading Barrie, but he could then be moved for a more offensive winger to play with O'Reilly and Landy to balance out the top two scoring lines. Maybe even Pomminville, and then hope you can talk him into re-signing at the end of the year after he sees the promise of this team. Minny is rumored to be thinking about trading him for cap reasons. I'd take that gambe personally, but I'm sure most would be scared of losing Barrie for nothing. As I think you can see though, the D should be ok without him, even if they didn't win the gamble.

Then they'd have a pretty reasonable top two lines, and could look into making the 3rd more defensive going forward if they choose to move on without Staz.

Downie - Duchene - PAP
Landy - O'Reilly - Pomminville
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
McLeod - Olver - Bordy

Coburn - EJ
Hejda - Jones
O'Brien - Elliott

With Siemens waiting in the wings to play with Elliott as a callup.
I'm with you as far as getting Coburn, but I'm not ready to ship Barrie off for a winger.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:51 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:

If the Avs want Mac it would sense for them to move Stastny. With the reaction the Miller rumor got earlier, that alone might bring it down.
All it take sometimes for these boards to melt down is a unreliable source posting some rumor via Twitter.

I hope you're happy with the destruction you may cause

Old
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

After hearing Miller whine to the media once a week for the last year, I don't want him here. He seems to be a guy that feels the urge to speak up and it rarely comes out right.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I'm with you as far as getting Coburn, but I'm not ready to ship Barrie off for a winger.
I know, I don't think anyone else is. Look at this D though, how is he not expendable to add another offensive winger?

Coburn - EJ
Hejda - Jones
O'Brien - Elliott
Siemens

Does he really need to be kept so he can be shifted to his off side, and played with another offensive D like Jones or Elliott who need defensively responsible partners?

Old
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
All it take sometimes for these boards to melt down is a unreliable source posting some rumor via Twitter.

I hope you're happy with the destruction you may cause

Old
05-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Bubba Thudd
Come At Me, Bro!

Quote:
I know, I don't think anyone else is. Look at this D though, how is he not expendable to add another offensive winger?

Coburn - EJ
Hejda - Jones
O'Brien - Elliott
Siemens

Does he really need to be kept so he can be shifted to his off side, and played with another offensive D like Jones or Elliott who need defensively responsible partners?
Keep him at least until he realizes his potential. If he isn't good enough to keep for top 2 pairing, trade him. I think he'd get a better return if we let him prove what he can do a bit more.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Avs71

Quote:

Coburn - EJ
Hejda - Jones
O'Brien - Elliott
Siemens

Barrie-EJ
Coburn-Jones
Hejda-Elliott

Then when it comes time to go into shutdown mode, just make sure EJ, Coburn, and Hejda get more ice time.

As for Miller, hell no.

And I'd be very concerned trading the 2014 first along with one of the Avs better roster players, even if a roster player is coming back. Seems too lateral, and could backfire big time. Especially if Enstrom got hurt, which seems likely.

Last edited by Avs71: 05-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Barrie-EJ
Coburn-Jones
Hejda-Elliott

Then when it comes time to go into shutdown mode, just make sure EJ, Coburn, and Hejda get more ice time.
That's the problem. You don't have a pairing that has two D that are strong in their own end in the NHL. That's too much to expect of Jones for a few years.

I'll take my group any day of the week over that. Having Coburn and EJ match up against top lines, and also be able to skate and provide offense would be huge for this team. I'll take a skilled winger, over shifting Barrie to his off side, hoping he starts to produce more regularly, and having no shutdown matchup.

Closed Thread