Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 07:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Disagree on Coomer - when he took over for Bert a couple weeks ago, I found his insights pretty interesting from the hitter's perspective. He also has a pretty lively personality. Meh on the others, but Coomer is all right.
I think Coomer and TK are two ends of the analyst spectrum where one is a personality without offering knowledge (or just straight up being a homer) and the other is knowledgeable yet dry. Out of all the rest, Bert is the one who best mixes the two. It is probably why he is the regular analyst.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
05-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
One thing about Cuban is that he does show a real passion for sports. I wish the remaining Pohlads had even a 10th of that kind of passion for baseball.
Exactly. That's why I give him a pass for bringing in "event" garbage and music in basketball.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:23 AM
651*

Minnesota's Gretzky Housley is no longer SHS hockey coach:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...on-gardenhires

While I like PH, I am skeptical about his personality really being NHL coaching material. I think he just comes off a tad too laid back. Hope I'm wrong and wish him the best in his endeavors.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:01 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...ng-farm-system

Old
05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Great, and then a couple years down the line when they become great players and then unrestricted free agents, we lose them to the Yankees or someone cause the Pohlad's dont want to pay the home grown talent.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Great, and then a couple years down the line when they become great players and then unrestricted free agents, we lose them to the Yankees or someone cause the Pohlad's dont want to pay the home grown talent.
Twins really haven't lost many stars to free agency lately. Not that they've had many to lose.

There are only 4 real examples to go off of when it comes to having guys become greate players and how the twins handle them. Mauer, Morneau, Hunter & Santana. Mauer and Morneau were both retained & Santana traded. So the Twins have kept 2 of 4.

Hunter was overpaid, and the Twins made the right move letting him go. The guy who scouts centerfielders is a damn genius considering the talent we've had run though this org since Hunter. (Hunter/Span/Revere/Hicks/Buxton)

Santana was a disappointing decision. Twins could have retained him with a matching offer with what he got from the Mets. I think ignoring the terrible asset management that went along with the trade I think the Twins also made the right choice in deciding not to invest in Santana long-term. The Twins got A LOT of great innings out of Santana, and I don't believe he lived up to the dollars he's raked in playing for the Mets. The ideal end to the Santana saga would have been for the Twins to just take the draft pick compensation at the end of his contract rather than trade him (obvious hindsight).

The prospects coming up are star level players, I think the Twins will do the right thing and retain their own talent. If they turn out to be on the level of Kubel the Twins would be wise to let them walk and replace them with a cheaper version.

IDK... I think the Twins "cheap" moniker is a bit over played. The Twins don't invest in big name FA's from other orgs, but have made 3/4 good decisions on the stars they developed.

Old
05-30-2013, 06:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The money the Twins would have had to pay Santana over the term of the deal may have not ended well, but the Twins had a quality team over the immediate time period and then some in which he left. Who knows, keep Santana and they all of a sudden have a much better shot in the playoffs. I'd take a better run for multiple years in addition to a couple bad contract years on the tail end over what they ended up going through...

Also, I'd argue that Hunter would have been (and still would be) a great fit on this team. Even if they were in the ball park of what he ended up getting. His play hasn't deteriorated significantly and his personality/leadership is still something that this franchise lacks since the day he left.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

Hunter was overpaid after he left, but was willing to take 3-4 million LESS to still play here when that was going down and said so publicly during talks.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bunyan View Post
Hunter was overpaid after he left, but was willing to take 3-4 million LESS to still play here when that was going down and said so publicly during talks.
While everyone really loved Hunter and he was a consistent gold glover, we really didn't need him with Span and Revere in the ranks.

It was worse to let proven utility (bargain) guys like Punto and Hardy go over the last several years. I always liked Punto and if memory serves Hardy had a career year the year he left us. Punto won a WS after he left us. Probably can add Revere to that list, assuming Hicks never learns how to hit a stinking ball.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
While everyone really loved Hunter and he was a consistent gold glover, we really didn't need him with Span and Revere in the ranks.

It was worse to let proven utility (bargain) guys like Punto and Hardy go over the last several years. I always liked Punto and if memory serves Hardy had a career year the year he left us. Punto won a WS after he left us. Probably can add Revere to that list, assuming Hicks never learns how to hit a stinking ball.
Hardy was a mistake. The Twins whiffed big time thinking Nishioka could replace him. Hardy wasn't exactly a bargain, but still wasn't wise to let him go.

Punto won a WS, yes... but He didn't play many games that year and wasn't a difference maker in that season for the Cardinals. Losing Punto meant nothing to this team.

Revere? The same revere who is playing terribly in Philly? Hicks despite his incredibly cold start to the season has really improved over the last month. And despite having barely over half the hits of Ben revere he has more than double the extra base hits. In fact Hicks has more home runs that Revere has doubles and triples combined.

I could go on forever about the ridiculously over rated nature of Ben Revere. If Worley or May even put together one average season between the 2 of them the Phillies got fleeced. If they don't it was a trade of crap for crap.

Revere relied on a ridiculously high BABIP last season and likely had a career year in terms of batting average. He doesn't have any idea of what the strike zone is, as shown in his complete lack of walks.

I'll take Hicks' 2013 over Revere's 2013. Especially considering Hicks is a very good defender.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...everbe01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...icksaa01.shtml

The Twins can be ripped for a lot of things, but their handling of center field has been damn near flawless. They got incredible value for a player bound for regression.

Old
06-03-2013, 04:27 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wonder when Gardy's going to go. They ought to trade Mauer, Morneau, and Willingham. This team is just dead.
I said a few years ago that contract Mauer signed was going to haunt them.

Old
06-03-2013, 09:12 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
How? Pretty sure he's leading the entire AL or is right at the top in hitting. Also the best fielding catcher in the AL, or right at the top. He's already a lock for the HOF and only half way through his career.

And in case you didn't know they have won 6 of 8 and are 4.5 out of first in the Central.

Last edited by 651*: 06-03-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old
06-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And it's gotten the Twins nowhere. I'd trade him for his sake. He's wasting a great career on a terrible team.

Old
06-03-2013, 10:29 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Quote:
And it's gotten the Twins nowhere. I'd trade him for his sake. He's wasting a great career on a terrible team.
The greatest player probably in Minnesota history, from St. Paul no less. He's about as clean as it gets (no criminal history, great personality). I mean, you seriously think we should trade Mauer?

At the end of the day I just think that's a bad idea, even though it may be the right move (if that makes sense).

Old
06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Went to the one Twins loss during the homestand so that one is on me. I'm like llamapalooza (I think it's you) at the X where things go badly at Target Field when I'm in attendance. Haven't yet seen a Minnesota win there.

Still, Target Field is great to enjoy a game and walk around. I had fun even if the Twins lost.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:25 AM
651*

If Deduno, Diamond, Correia (maybe Gibson soon) and the rest of the starting rotation start pitching solid, if nothing else consistent, could be interesting to see how the season unfolds. I don't think we could have asked for more than where they're at right now several out.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Went to the one Twins loss during the homestand so that one is on me. I'm like llamapalooza (I think it's you) at the X where things go badly at Target Field when I'm in attendance. Haven't yet seen a Minnesota win there.

Still, Target Field is great to enjoy a game and walk around. I had fun even if the Twins lost.
Neither have I. Also, I haven't been to a game that's been between 50 and 90 degrees.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Neither have I. Also, I haven't been to a game that's been between 50 and 90 degrees.
It is nice. I highly recommend going to a game in that temperature range. Also the view of downtown from the third base side...if that could be my office view I would be set.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:14 PM
651*

I was in the nosebleeds on the third base line on Mother's Day and it was interesting to see how many buildings have a pretty good view right into the stadium. Nice to take their lunch break from their office on an afternoon weekday game and watch some ball.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the Dome were open, I'd have a great view from my building.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:33 PM
651*

Too bad they didn't remodel it like the briefly talked about to make it open air. Maybe it was retractable they talked about or even just still closed, but a nice brief thought for you Jarick. The new stadium may or may not be see through from certain angles though which would be cool - that actually is the way it should be though just for the sake of it.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm hoping I have a better job in St Paul by then! That construction will kill my escape route onto 94. But yeah, I think that's the same corner of the office where we could see the 35W bridge. I had good shots of the Dome collapse as well.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

The MLB Draft is tonight. Minnesota just selected Kohl Stewart #4 overall.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
The MLB Draft is tonight. Minnesota just selected Kohl Stewart #4 overall.
I would have much rather Moran out of NC. Stewart is likely headed to A&M as the heir apparent to Johnny Football according to an Aggie friend of mine.

I also hate HS pitchers in the 1st round. I can't even remember the last time the Twins had success with a HS pitcher in the 1st round if ever.

Old
06-06-2013, 11:07 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
I would have much rather Moran out of NC. Stewart is likely headed to A&M as the heir apparent to Johnny Football according to an Aggie friend of mine.

I also hate HS pitchers in the 1st round. I can't even remember the last time the Twins had success with a HS pitcher in the 1st round if ever.
Based on his last tweets

Quote:
WHAT'S UP TWIN NATION!!!!

TWINS TERRITORY***

So much love from the Twins fans can't wait to meet you guys
https://twitter.com/kohlstewart1

He's going to be a twin.

Closed Thread