HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiltown16's ESPN NHL Franchise

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Oiltown16

vCash: 500
Oiltown16's ESPN NHL Franchise

The Team

Smyth-Oates-Dvorak (Passer with 2 scorers)
Torres-York-Hemsky (skill, hard work)
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani (RPM)
Isbister-Horcoff-Laraque (BANG BANG BANG)
Chimera, Stoll
Minors: Salmalianen(sp)(74), Pouliot(71), Niinimaaki(sp)(72), Wright

Brewer-Staios (should be solid)
Smith-Cross (a little slow, but smart)
Bergeron-Ferguson (risky business)
Semenov
Minors: Lynch(73), Allen, Woywitka(74), Thompson

Salo
Conklin
Minors: Desouliers(75) (sp)

I created some of our best prospects to as close as I could, their rankings in brackets.

Quotes from MacT on how the season looks to be shaping up...

"We've got a great group of kids here, who will be competing day in and day out for a roster spot."

"Some of these young guys in the minors will get chances during the season"

Quotes from Tommy Salo

"Were very young, but I have the confidence in them and myself, we will be fine"

Quote from Ryan Smyth

"It's good to see so many guys that have NHL ability, it should be an exciting year in Edmonton"

Quote from Jason Smith

"We've got great depth at forward, we should score some goals this year."

"Everyone underestimates our D. we'll prove them wrong"

The season will open when the Oilers play host to the San Jose Sharks.

note: If this story gets views and some comments it will continue, however if very little interest grows I will stop.

Old
01-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Oiltown16

The Edmonton Journal
Tie To Start Season

The Edmonton Oilers came away with a draw, 1-1 against the San Jose Sharks yesterday at Rexall Place. A bit of a slugglish start by both teams ended with a scoreless first period with only 9 shots between the sides. The Sharks came out firing in second however with Patrick Marleau giving San Jose the 1-0 lead after two periods of play. The third was a scrambly affair with the Oilers cycling the puck countless times trying to get the equalizer. With 7:30 remaining Mike Rathje took a penalty for Cross Checking. Adam Oates showed why the Oilers signed him before the season, sliding the puck to an open Ryan Smyth for the tying goal.
"This is ice is so fast, its harder for me to keep up, I'm looking forward to an exciting year here though," commented Oates after the game.

Tommy Salo had a superb game for the Oilers blocking 24 shots, many of which were game saving saves in the last 5 minutes. Salo was coming under a lot of critiscim at the end of last year, but if his showings continue to be like this, all critics will disapear.
"The guys play good in front of me, I see almost all the shots, makes my job lot easier," stated Salo.

GAME STATS San Jose Edmonton
Shots 25 23
Face off % 51 49
Powerplay 0/6 1/2

Edmonton Record: 0-0-1 1GF 1GA 1PT

Old
01-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Oiltown16

The Edmonton Journal
Oilers Blank Nucks'

The Oilers continued their low scoring, tough defence motto into the second game of the 2003-2004 season, defeating the Vancouver Canucks 1-0. A team the Oilers have had trouble with the last couple seasons, Vancouver just couldn't get anything past netminder Tommy Salo who was brilliant stopping all 32 shots fired his way.
"I can't take all the credit, the guys play good in front of me, only a couple tough shots," said Salo of his defence tonight.

The lone goal came at 15:34 of the second period when Brad Isbister pounced on a rebound from a Georges Laraque shot.
"I saw it in the open and just went for it, BigG creates a lot of space of the line, it really helps," said Isbister of his game winning goal.

Craig MacTavish has been pleased with his teams play so far this season, but would like his offence to start creating more chances.
"Our defensive game has been great, but our offence doesn't have much spark or grit going right now, it needs to start soon"

The Oilers will travel to Calgary for the first installment of the Battle of Alberta next.

Game Stats
Shots: Van 32 Edm 26
Face off %: Van 57 Edm 43
Powerplay: Van 0/3 Edm 0/2

Scoring Summary
Isbister (1), Laraque (1)

Edmonton Record: 1-0-1 2GF 1GA 3PTS

Old
01-03-2004, 07:28 PM
SerbianEagle

What lenght periods are you playing. I always seem to get about 60 shots fired against me?

Old
01-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Oiltown16

The Edmonton Journal
Flames Burn Oil
Offensive Woes Continue

The Oilers dropped their first game of the season to Provincial rival, the Calgary Flames yesterday night. It was a very poor effort from the Oilers as they were out hustled, out shot and plain out played by the Flames. Calgary came out on top 2-0. Coach Craig MacTavish was dissapointed in the effort his squad put out onto the ice.
"Well I've seen junior teams that would have beaten us tonight, the score is not reflective of the game, Tommy (Salo) kept us in it," said a frustrated Mactavish.

This is the third straight game in which the Oilers were out shot by the opposition. The lack of shots has meant a lack of goals for Edmonton as they've only managed to put 2 pucks in the back of the net in three games this season.

Game Stats
Shots: Cal 34 Edm 21
Faceoff %: Cal 36% Edm 64%
Powerplay: Cal 1/3 Edm 0/2

Tommy Salo 32 saves on 34 shots

Cross out for 5 months

Cory Cross torn his ACL yesterday night in the second period and is expected to be out for at least 5 months. It is believed that Alexei Semenov will draw into the line up, while recently aquired Jeff Woywitka will get the call up.
"It's hard to take, were only 3 games into the season and I'll have another 5 months off," sighed Cross.

Edmonton: 1-1-1 2GF 3GA 3PTS

Old
01-03-2004, 09:32 PM
OilerMania83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
The Edmonton Journal
Flames Burn Oil
Offensive Woes Continue

The Oilers dropped their first game of the season to Provincial rival, the Calgary Flames yesterday night. It was a very poor effort from the Oilers as they were out hustled, out shot and plain out played by the Flames. Calgary came out on top 2-0. Coach Craig MacTavish was dissapointed in the effort his squad put out onto the ice.
"Well I've seen junior teams that would have beaten us tonight, the score is not reflective of the game, Tommy (Salo) kept us in it," said a frustrated Mactavish.

This is the third straight game in which the Oilers were out shot by the opposition. The lack of shots has meant a lack of goals for Edmonton as they've only managed to put 2 pucks in the back of the net in three games this season.

Game Stats
Shots: Cal 34 Edm 21
Faceoff %: Cal 36% Edm 64%
Powerplay: Cal 1/3 Edm 0/2

Tommy Salo 32 saves on 34 shots

Cross out for 5 months

Cory Cross torn his ACL yesterday night in the second period and is expected to be out for at least 5 months. It is believed that Alexei Semenov will draw into the line up, while recently aquired Jeff Woywitka will get the call up.
"It's hard to take, were only 3 games into the season and I'll have another 5 months off," sighed Cross.

Edmonton: 1-1-1 2GF 3GA 3PTS
Blessing in disguise

Old
01-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Oiltown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
What lenght periods are you playing. I always seem to get about 60 shots fired against me?
I play 7 minutes periods...some other options help too such as game speed mine is at 0 or 1. Speed Burst Effect, length. Rebounds too will also contribute to more shots obviously mine are at about 3 i think.

You shall see in the coming games if it is a blessing.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Oiltown16

The Edmonton Journal
Offence Emerges, Salo Still Solid

The Sabres came into Rexall Place looking for a victory, they recieved a beating. The Oilers offence opened up on the weak Buffalo squad from the get go, only 2:35 into the first Period with Torres notching his 1st of the year. The final ended with the Oilers getting the two points with a 4-1 victory. Ryan Smyth scored the game winner mid way through the second period.
"We all know we have the ability to put the puck in the net, we just need the confidence and consistency to do it on a nightly basis," commented Smyth on the teams offensive abilities.

The Oilers defence, considered the teams weakness coming into the season continues to excel allowing only a goal or less for the 3rd time in 4 games. Most of the success can be directed at Tommy Salo (yes I've mentioned him in every article, but he's turned it around this season).
"He's done a complete 180 turn this year, I'm very impressed, he's been the reason for a good start," stated MacTavish on his goaltenders play.

Alexei Semenov drew in for his first game of the year, with the recent injury to Cory Cross, Semenov played 17:20, recorded 2 shots on goal and was a +1.

Game Stats
Shots: Buf 23 Edm 27
Faceoff %: Buf 45% Edm 55%
Powerplay: Buf 0/4 Edm 0/1

Torres (1), York (1), Hemsky (2)
Smyth (2), Dvorak (1), Oates (2)
Pisani (1), unassisted
York (1), Brewer (1), Salo (1)

Salo 22 saves on 23 shots

Edmonton: 4GP 2-1-1-0 6GF 4GA 5PTS

Old
01-03-2004, 11:17 PM
J.P

It's a pretty good game, but I hate how easy the players get injured! I played about 28 games so far, and only once I made it through a game with no injuries?

Last edited by J.P: 01-04-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 12:18 AM
Oiltown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
It's a pretty good game, but I hate how easy the players get injured! I played about 28 games so far, and only once I made it through a game with no injuries?
Yah I started a season and that happened to me too, by the 6th game i had 7 guys out. And looking at the other teams, not many players of them would get injuries sooooo...I restarted turning the injuries off, but wanting it to be realistic with some injuries at least to my team, I developed a "Playing Card" method of determing injuries, Cross drew the joker which meant he was out for a very long time haha.

Old
01-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
It's freakin ridiculious. My brother told me to move all the players' durability stat to 99.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:55 PM
J.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
It's freakin ridiculious. My brother told me to move all the players' durability stat to 99.
You know, that's a pretty good idea! I will try that. I also thought about starting over with the injuries turned off, but I don't know. I figured I was already well into the season? It's a good thing I created Lynch, Luoma, Sarno, Hinze
Henrich..Ect. otherwise I don't know how I could have made it through most games?

Closed Thread