HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jagr or Iginla at trade deadline day in hindsight

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
How anyone can choose Jagr over Iginla I don't know.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
jagrgodr

vCash: 500
Ironically Jagr pretty much caused the trade of Morrow to the Penguins. Morrow was absolute CRAP at the beginning of the season as captain of the Stars and there were times he was on the 4th line (morrow) before this season. Enter Jagr to the team, the coach sees his success with Giroux and Hartnell so they try for Jamie Benn and Morrow on the top line and there was absolutely NO chemistry but Morrow was getting lucky goals.

So to me, it was obvious that the stars were putting Morrow on the top line to build up his points and use him as trade bait. I am shocked that teams actually wanted him after watching him play, it was very frustrating watching him. He was a crappier version of Hartnell (no offense to stars fans). Benn & Jagr were practically shooting pucks at Morrow and having them deflect in.

And another thing about Jagr vs Iginla, the Bruins actually looked into acquiring Jagr 3 weeks before the deadline but the Stars were having non of that. At the time, the Stars were in a great playoff position (around 4th in the west) so it looked like they COULD make the playoffs and Jagr was going to stay. It was really a shock to see Jagr leave, it was very sad and emotional to see him leave the Stars because he was helping them so much and trying to get the team to the playoffs, but him on the Bruins is a better chance to make them. So anyways i think the Bruins are happy they got Jagr over Iginla, and it could have been their first choice.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:33 AM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I don't think the majority are picking simply "Jagr"...

I think most people who are saying Jagr are saying "Jagr plus what it would have cost to obtain Iginla"

Old
05-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
In the final stretch of the regular season Jagr was playing a little better but we didn't have our full lineup and Iginla never played with regular line mates

Since the playoffs have started the level of play between both hasn't been close

Old
05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
Ironically Jagr pretty much caused the trade of Morrow to the Penguins. Morrow was absolute CRAP at the beginning of the season as captain of the Stars and there were times he was on the 4th line (morrow) before this season. Enter Jagr to the team, the coach sees his success with Giroux and Hartnell so they try for Jamie Benn and Morrow on the top line and there was absolutely NO chemistry but Morrow was getting lucky goals.

So to me, it was obvious that the stars were putting Morrow on the top line to build up his points and use him as trade bait. I am shocked that teams actually wanted him after watching him play, it was very frustrating watching him. He was a crappier version of Hartnell (no offense to stars fans). Benn & Jagr were practically shooting pucks at Morrow and having them deflect in.

And another thing about Jagr vs Iginla, the Bruins actually looked into acquiring Jagr 3 weeks before the deadline but the Stars were having non of that. At the time, the Stars were in a great playoff position (around 4th in the west) so it looked like they COULD make the playoffs and Jagr was going to stay. It was really a shock to see Jagr leave, it was very sad and emotional to see him leave the Stars because he was helping them so much and trying to get the team to the playoffs, but him on the Bruins is a better chance to make them. So anyways i think the Bruins are happy they got Jagr over Iginla, and it could have been their first choice.
Alfredsson lulling the Penguins into false sense of security. Chiarelli using reverse psychology on Shero to convince him to take Iginla so he could get the guy he wanted all along in Jagr. Heck, looks like Jagr used a Jedi mind trick to get on a line with Morrow to make him better, months in advance of the Penguins acquiring him.

This place is about so much more than hockey. I'm learning lots.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Iginla hasn't even been playing well until last night and was still racking up points. If he keeps rolling he'll be a force.

Jagr has 4 assists.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
I don't think the majority are picking simply "Jagr"...

I think most people who are saying Jagr are saying "Jagr plus what it would have cost to obtain Iginla"
Tell you want Iginla is a much better player but things have a funny way of turning out sometimes especially the way Bartkowski is playing for Boston.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
I guess we'll find out in the Conference Finals anyways....

Old
05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Jagr was great for the Flyers against the Pens, but at the cost of his usual groin issue that he had before they even played, made him rather useless the next round, which they lost in grand fashion. He also hasn't had the same flare since leaving the Flyers. Put simply, he had one hell of a connection with Hartnell and Giroux. Who both had their best season ever playing with him, but I'd say having a dynamic right handed center had a lot more to do with it. I don't think Boston owns one of those, though, they do have some very top notch centers in Bergeron, Krejci, and Seguin. But I would never confuse them with the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, ect..

This is the difference, and one of those three will have to play like one, and it's not out of the relm that they could if they put it all together for a stretch, but I'm sure that's all you feel you'll need just to get past, Pittsburgh.

After that series, though, I'd expect them to be a beaten down mess like the Flyers were. Depending on how beaten down, either team, the finals will be one hard series to win.

Battle of attrition.

For me it's an easy one, both teams went after the same players first and foremost before the Jagr deal happened. That was no accident.

The accident is calling a deal done before knowing Iginla's intentions, which even Chiarelli/Jacob's should know doing business like this around a UFA with a no trade clause that he has the final say. The two GM's can promise the world to each other and it wouldn't mean squat in this situation.

Personally, I think the whole thing was staged to try and force Iginla to agree to the deal between, Chiarelli and Feaster. Don't even think Feaster wasn't trying to persuade Iginla to agreeing to it, being, that it's best for the team, better assets. Why wasn't Boston allowed to talk to, Iginla? Knowing what they should know? Right....These guys knew.

Good try, though.

Iginla just had different thoughts/preferences.

Iginla all day...and we all know it.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
moonbal

Jagr's lost his power because he cut his mullet

Old
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiSamsonov View Post
Bruins fan here....

Iginla as a player, but I'll take the Jagr deal. Bartkowski, Koko, and a 1st isn't worth a rental.
This is my opinion as well.

Sometimes the choice is the deal made-I like what the Bruins gave up for Jagr better than what they were going to give up for Iginla, but I think Iginla at this point is the better choice wrt player.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:12 AM
JWells16

When they're at the top of their games, Jagr has looked better. He can carry the play. Unfortunately for him, it hasn't resulted in goals being scored.

Iginla has looked, at his best, decent. Part of it is because Bylsma is playing him at a position he's never played before. However, the guy just keeps showing up on the score sheet.

Bottom line: I look to the player who produces, but none of that will matter. It all depends on which team makes it to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
In the final stretch of the regular season Jagr was playing a little better but we didn't have our full lineup and Iginla never played with regular line mates

Since the playoffs have started the level of play between both hasn't been close
This was also the case with the Bruins. The game befor Jagr played Bergeron was lost to a concussion then a few games later Marchand went out with a concussion. Bruins didn't actually have all their forwards plus Jagr until theist couple of games of the season-when Jagr got the devastating flu (missed two games and struggled I the first round with getting his health back).

Funny thing about this thread-fans of both teams seem to think that Iginla and Jagr are being misused with who they are being played with. Pens want Iggy with Crosby and Bruins fans want Jagr with Krejci.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:46 AM
wolffy66

IDK, as a Pens fan I can see why the Bruins would choose the trade that wasn't made basically. If your gonna compare just Iggy and Jagr, Iggy wins pretty easy. But then again the season isn't over yet.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Windy River

Lol at Boston fans thinking they scored on the Jagr deal. At this point in his career, the team may be served better having him playing <10 per game, or possibly not at all.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim Ran View Post
Boston can resign Jagr.

They just need to offer $1 more than anyone else.
The funny thing about that is that between the two players it was Iggy that acted more like the two bit saloon worker at the trade deadline.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
This is my opinion as well.

Sometimes the choice is the deal made-I like what the Bruins gave up for Jagr better than what they were going to give up for Iginla, but I think Iginla at this point is the better choice wrt player.
I am not sure the relevance of this.

The Pens did not give up the value of what Boston had supposedly offered, and everyone knew it at the time.

So the cost of Iginla was really a 1st, a 3rd (Agostino) and a 5th (Hanowski). Both of those players are questionable even to make the NHL. What does a hypothetical trade that never happened have to do with anything?

In the end, the question is whether Iginla is worth the difference between a low 2nd (the conditional 2nd will become an actual second if the Bruins beat the Rangers one more game in the next 4) and a low 1st pick. The additional parts of the Jagr trade, Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne are probably better than the two the Pens gave up, MacDermid already is playing in the NHL, has a couple goals in six games, but is more a grit player than scorer, but lets call those pairs a wash to keep it simple.

Given the actual cost difference, minimal, this thread should be tilted unanimously toward Iginla given the play of both players.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
The funny thing about that is that between the two players it was Iggy that acted more like the two bit saloon worker at the trade deadline.
Because Jagr has no history of this...

Old
05-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
1.) Many in the Bruins organization said it was a done deal. Several people reported that from the hockey game that was going on that night

2.) Who cares if you won a cup? It doesn't make the worst post season loss in the modern era go away

3.) The Flames got what they could with a player with a NTC.
ummm...... yes it does.

Not sure what planet someone would have to live on for that to be the case.

"Hey Steve, how frigging awesome was that Game 7 the other night? So sweet to see Chara hoisting the Cup"

"Yeah, I guess....... I dunno"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I still can't get over blowing that series against Philly last year. It really bugs me."

"You're a negative and depressing fool, Steve, and will never ever get invited to a party or attract the interest of a female member of the species. Seriously."

Old
05-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Because Jagr has no history of this...
I'm not worried about Jagr's plans next year. I'm not at all sold on wanting him to re-sign -- so it's really a moot point.

Just having some fun at the expense of some Pens fans that refuse to admit that Iginla whored himself out at the last minute, left Calgary with a massively sub par return, and went back on his word to Calgary as to who they could try and deal with.

Other than that he handed it with pure class. Pure class.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
I'm not worried about Jagr's plans next year. I'm not at all sold on wanting him to re-sign -- so it's really a moot point.

Just having some fun at the expense of some Pens fans that refuse to admit that Iginla whored himself out at the last minute, left Calgary with a massively sub par return, and went back on his word to Calgary as to who they could try and deal with.

Other than that he handed it with pure class. Pure class.
This was all argued to death when the trade...well, trades I suppose...occurred. Just because Iginla gave a list of teams he was willing to go to, doesn't mean there was not a pecking order within those teams.

Be angry at anyone who announced the trade as complete before it was complete.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
SergeiSamsonov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not sure the relevance of this.

The Pens did not give up the value of what Boston had supposedly offered, and everyone knew it at the time.

So the cost of Iginla was really a 1st, a 3rd (Agostino) and a 5th (Hanowski). Both of those players are questionable even to make the NHL. What does a hypothetical trade that never happened have to do with anything?

In the end, the question is whether Iginla is worth the difference between a low 2nd (the conditional 2nd will become an actual second if the Bruins beat the Rangers one more game in the next 4) and a low 1st pick. The additional parts of the Jagr trade, Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne are probably better than the two the Pens gave up, MacDermid already is playing in the NHL, has a couple goals in six games, but is more a grit player than scorer, but lets call those pairs a wash to keep it simple.

Given the actual cost difference, minimal, this thread should be tilted unanimously toward Iginla given the play of both players.
I think you're missing the point.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:10 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
oh so he should just forfeit the right (the one that he earned after years and years of production and service) to chose what team he goes to?

You know, the part in the contract that the flames gave him the ability to pick anywhere he wants to go to, he should just give that up to go to your team? And the fact that PC thought the deal was done before actually getting confirmation that Iginla wants to go, means Iginla is a ******?

I dare you to speak to Iggy for 15 seconds or since that's probably not possible, just listen to any interview he does, and try to convince me that this guy is anything close to an *******. By the accounts of nearly every member of the hockey world, Iginla is one of the nicest human beings to play the game.

But ya know, you're probably right. He's an ******* because he doesn't want to play for Boston. Plain and Simple.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
This series is going to be fun fun fun

Old
05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiSamsonov View Post
I think you're missing the point.
So enlighten me. Seeing how I am so dense.

If I asked Mila Kunis out for a date, and the ***** shot me down, should I still be comparing her to the girl I went out with next months after or get on with my life?

Boston may as well have thrown unicorns and moonbeams into their trade offer for all the relevance it has to the actual trades that happened at the deadline. Trades that did not happen have no relevance.

But go on, I am all ears. Tell me how this hypothetical trade makes a difference in evaluating what was actually given up for each player and what they have brought their teams since.

Closed Thread