HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LX - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 06:16 AM
  #1
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,957
vCash: 50
Awards:
The Out of Town Thread part LX - All Talk From Around the League Here

Continue here.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 06:42 AM
  #2
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Like against us, Ottawa looks like a lottery team when Anderson isn't standing on his head.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 06:52 AM
  #3
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Like against us, Ottawa looks like a lottery team when Anderson isn't standing on his head.
I find it rather amusing how people still talk about size when discussing our series versus them. It's a lot tougher for Anderson to hold the fort down when he's facing Plekanec, Gallagher, unhealthy Gionta and MaxPac than arguably the two best players in the world that are also surrounded by other Elite talents like Iginla and Neal, the skill of th depth in Pittsburgh is just nuts. It's like Miami in the NBA.
I mean, how can a team lose Crosby and really feel no effect? Nuts.
Ottawa is a bubble team if Anderson doesn't stand on his head.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:01 AM
  #4
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I find it rather amusing how people still talk about size when discussing our series versus them. It's a lot tougher for Anderson to hold the fort down when he's facing Plekanec, Gallagher, unhealthy Gionta and MaxPac than arguably the two best players in the world that are also surrounded by other Elite talents like Iginla and Neal, the skill of th depth in Pittsburgh is just nuts. It's like Miami in the NBA.
I mean, how can a team lose Crosby and really feel no effect? Nuts.
Ottawa is a bubble team if Anderson doesn't stand on his head.
The size thing probably doesn't even get brought up A-if we win that series because goaltending was even and not heavily slated in their favor B-Emelin Eller were not out and Prust and Pacioretty were not playing hurt.

I agree the Habs do need more size to be a top contender, but it has to be done without sacrificing skill. Most teams in the playoffs are carried for the most part by "non-giants".

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:43 AM
  #5
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The size thing probably doesn't even get brought up A-if we win that series because goaltending was even and not heavily slated in their favor B-Emelin Eller were not out and Prust and Pacioretty were not playing hurt.

I agree the Habs do need more size to be a top contender, but it has to be done without sacrificing skill. Most teams in the playoffs are carried for the most part by "non-giants".
I think having Galchenyuk-Eller instead of Plek-DD as the top 2 centers would already be a huge game changer for us. I think Eller should have been ahead of DD even last year, alas we were stuck with one big time clueless coach in RC that pretty much just rolled with one line (DD-MaxPac-Cole). Therrien gave me a huge scare when he scratched Eller for game 2 of the season. That was just dumb imo. But as the season progressed, he did get more opportunities. However, DD did get some special treatment. Pretty sure Eller would have been scratched more than once if he had a DD type season.
In any event, Eller should be used as a top 2 center next year with PP time.
Plekanec was still the best center on our team because of his complete game, but Eller finished the year as the most efficient center in terms of production. Offensively, I can see him really flourish next year if he's used properly.

Galchenyuk may not be ready. It's always tough to predict when you have such a talented young player. But he isn't that far off. Already scoring at about a 50pt pace as 19yo third liner averaging 12min with very little PP time.

So, I'm not ready to say that these two will take over the top 2 center positions as of next year, but it should definitely happen the year after. With MaxPac-Bourque-Gallagher in our top 6 as well, finding another big body with skill up front (hopefully one that is punishing physically), we should be pretty good, assuming Bourque keeps performing as he did in the POs and MaxPac is healthy.

We're not that far off imo.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
  #6
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,029
vCash: 500
Wow that 3rd period when the Pens want to play it's almost like watching an all star game

And what a beauty of a goal by Sid, spectacular !!

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
  #7
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think having Galchenyuk-Eller instead of Plek-DD as the top 2 centers would already be a huge game changer for us. I think Eller should have been ahead of DD even last year, alas we were stuck with one big time clueless coach in RC that pretty much just rolled with one line (DD-MaxPac-Cole). Therrien gave me a huge scare when he scratched Eller for game 2 of the season. That was just dumb imo. But as the season progressed, he did get more opportunities. However, DD did get some special treatment. Pretty sure Eller would have been scratched more than once if he had a DD type season.
In any event, Eller should be used as a top 2 center next year with PP time.
Plekanec was still the best center on our team because of his complete game, but Eller finished the year as the most efficient center in terms of production. Offensively, I can see him really flourish next year if he's used properly.

Galchenyuk may not be ready. It's always tough to predict when you have such a talented young player. But he isn't that far off. Already scoring at about a 50pt pace as 19yo third liner averaging 12min with very little PP time.

So, I'm not ready to say that these two will take over the top 2 center positions as of next year, but it should definitely happen the year after. With MaxPac-Bourque-Gallagher in our top 6 as well, finding another big body with skill up front (hopefully one that is punishing physically), we should be pretty good, assuming Bourque keeps performing as he did in the POs and MaxPac is healthy.

We're not that far off imo.
How was scratching Eller dumb? It got him working harder and he made more progress this year than any year in the NHL.

MB and MT seem to believe in 3 offensive lines so I wouldn't get as preoccupied with top 6 and more about top 9. All 3 centers will get a chance to play in offensive situations.


Last edited by Monctonscout: 05-23-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 08:21 AM
  #8
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The size thing probably doesn't even get brought up A-if we win that series because goaltending was even and not heavily slated in their favor B-Emelin Eller were not out and Prust and Pacioretty were not playing hurt.

I agree the Habs do need more size to be a top contender, but it has to be done without sacrificing skill. Most teams in the playoffs are carried for the most part by "non-giants".
If we had won....well that's not the case. What I do see is Ottawa's defense having more trouble clearing the crease and pickup Anderson's rebounds like on one of Igny's goal.
It's not a dick competition, I get it but it's pretty darn close. The Pens are a well ballence team with good size, grit and topend skills. Montreal is a smaller team lacking grit with nice skills.

otto bond is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
  #9
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
If we had won....well that's not the case. What I do see is Ottawa's defense having more trouble clearing the crease and pickup Anderson's rebounds like on one of Igny's goal.
It's not a dick competition, I get it but it's pretty darn close. The Pens are a well ballence team with good size, grit and topend skills. Montreal is a smaller team lacking grit with nice skills.
The Habas definitely didn't lack grit, if they lacked anything against Ottawa it was goaltending and healthy bodies. If Vokoun ***** the bed and 3-4 of their core players are out of seriously compromised physically it's a different series.

People love to twist things around to fit their agenda.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:23 AM
  #10
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
How was scratching Eller dumb? It got him working harder and he made more progress this year than any year in the NHL.

MB and MT seem to believe in 3 offensive lines so I wouldn't get as preoccupied with top 6 and more about top 9. All 3 centers will get a chance to play in offensive situations.
Really? Is that what you really think? That Eller came into the season with no training camp after learning a new system in Europe, and now had to learn a new one here, and decided to slop it out in game 1? That he needed a wake up call after one game when pretty much the whole team looked like garbage?

Eller started playing much better last season. Martin was starting to use him versus tougher opponents, and he was doing fairly well. His line with Moen and AK was arguably our most dominant one when put together. Then Martin gets fired, RC comes in, splits up this solid trio, makes Eller face guys like Datsyuk and when he sees he can't keep up, he benches him. It all was a lot more difficult for him when RC took over. But he was ready to blossom last year, we just had one of the worst coaches I've ever seen.

This year I give zero credit to Therrien for Eller. None. I'm not a Therrien hater, I give him a lot of credit for the season as a whole, and other players, but just not for Eller.
This kid always had it tough. Nothing was ever given to him unlike others. I mean, Gallagher and Galchenyuk come in as rookies and they get better treatment than Eller. Galchenyuk never had to prove himself by playing with Moen and White, yet Eller had to do that after he being reinserted. DD was always given some offensive wingers. Heck, Therrien before the season starts says this is a make-break year for Eller, yet scratches him after the first game because he didn't like 12min of action on the bottom line. What does he do to help him out?? Keeps him on the 4th line, and gives him 0 pp ice time. After that when injuries occur, he gets a shot as a winger on the top 6, a position he clearly is just not comfortable with.
It wasn't until he was given a little more ice time, on the 3rd line, with more offensively capable wingers (even though they were rookies), that he really started shining again. Surprise surprise, give him a little more ice time, with better wingers, and he starts to play much better (just like with AK a year ago).

I give all the credit to Eller, the kid worked harder than anybody else on this team, and the coaches never made it easy for him.
The scratch was dumb because he was singled out when the whole team was crap.
The team had no training camp, I mean wait a couple of games before perhaps.


As for top 6, I'm referring to that in terms of ice time and PP. I want Eller to be one of the two most used centerman, top 6 among forwards, and this includes a regular shift on the PP.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:24 AM
  #11
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m Brad Richards says he is not playing tonight. He said Tortorella called him this morning to tell him.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
  #12
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,252
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m Brad Richards says he is not playing tonight. He said Tortorella called him this morning to tell him.
Redden...Drury...Gomez...Gaborik...Richards...

Can't wait to watch them try and unload Nash next year.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
  #13
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Really? Is that what you really think? That Eller came into the season with no training camp after learning a new system in Europe, and now had to learn a new one here, and decided to slop it out in game 1? That he needed a wake up call after one game when pretty much the whole team looked like garbage?

Eller started playing much better last season. Martin was starting to use him versus tougher opponents, and he was doing fairly well. His line with Moen and AK was arguably our most dominant one when put together. Then Martin gets fired, RC comes in, splits up this solid trio, makes Eller face guys like Datsyuk and when he sees he can't keep up, he benches him. It all was a lot more difficult for him when RC took over. But he was ready to blossom last year, we just had one of the worst coaches I've ever seen.

This year I give zero credit to Therrien for Eller. None. I'm not a Therrien hater, I give him a lot of credit for the season as a whole, and other players, but just not for Eller.
This kid always had it tough. Nothing was ever given to him unlike others. I mean, Gallagher and Galchenyuk come in as rookies and they get better treatment than Eller. Galchenyuk never had to prove himself by playing with Moen and White, yet Eller had to do that after he being reinserted. DD was always given some offensive wingers. Heck, Therrien before the season starts says this is a make-break year for Eller, yet scratches him after the first game because he didn't like 12min of action on the bottom line. What does he do to help him out?? Keeps him on the 4th line, and gives him 0 pp ice time. After that when injuries occur, he gets a shot as a winger on the top 6, a position he clearly is just not comfortable with.
It wasn't until he was given a little more ice time, on the 3rd line, with more offensively capable wingers (even though they were rookies), that he really started shining again. Surprise surprise, give him a little more ice time, with better wingers, and he starts to play much better (just like with AK a year ago).

I give all the credit to Eller, the kid worked harder than anybody else on this team, and the coaches never made it easy for him.
The scratch was dumb because he was singled out when the whole team was crap.
The team had no training camp, I mean wait a couple of games before perhaps.


As for top 6, I'm referring to that in terms of ice time and PP. I want Eller to be one of the two most used centerman, top 6 among forwards, and this includes a regular shift on the PP.
Paint it how you want but it got results, Eller was working much harder and was a better player when he got back in which was the goal. Maybe MT was trying to send a message to veterans, and it worked. He's not there to win a popularity contest, he's there to win and get the most out of guys.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:36 AM
  #14
Habs 1909
Registered User
 
Habs 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Redden...Drury...Gomez...Gaborik...Richards...

Can't wait to watch them try and unload Nash next year.
It comes to a point where management has to be held accountable and it starts with Sather.

Habs 1909 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  #15
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 8m Ran into Daniel Briere last night. He's pretty sure the Flyers are going to buy him out. He wants to stay.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
  #16
thewall
Registered User
 
thewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Redden...Drury...Gomez...Gaborik...Richards...

Can't wait to watch them try and unload Nash next year.
you can also add Naslund, Frolov ... a few years earlier they had Lindros, Jagr that didnt pan out like they originally plan.

thewall is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
  #17
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
So will NYR fire Sather or what? This is getting ridiculous.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 11:02 AM
  #18
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m Brad Richards says he is not playing tonight. He said Tortorella called him this morning to tell him.
He'd thrive in a non Torts system as would any other offensive player they have.

He'll do well next year in a new system once Torts gets canned in the off season.

shutehinside is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
  #19
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,097
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
So will NYR fire Sather or what? This is getting ridiculous.
Torts gets fired for sure I think, and Sather stays with maybe adding another executive to work with him at most.

Richards gets bought out and Sather fleeces someone else in a trade to extend his stay another 5 yaers.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
  #20
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He'd thrive in a non Torts system as would any other offensive player they have.

He'll do well next year in a new system once Torts gets canned in the off season.
Like Gomez, Redden, Drury etc? People just don't care when they have 50 million dollars in the bank.

Ezpz is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  #21
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Torts gets fired for sure I think, and Sather stays with maybe adding another executive to work with him at most.

Richards gets bought out and Sather fleeces someone else in a trade to extend his stay another 5 yaers.
If Sather stays it's because he was able to unload Gomez and Gaborik and lucky he has the 2 buyouts to play with. He should have been fired a long time ago, the Rags are a joke if not for Lundqvist

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
  #22
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 8m Ran into Daniel Briere last night. He's pretty sure the Flyers are going to buy him out. He wants to stay.
Want DD, Flyers? We can make a salary type deal.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
  #23
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Sather has found a way to get out of all the bad contracts without crippling the team. They have a very good, young nucleus. Like the Flyers, the Rangers have been fearless in their management. It leads to some embarrassing contract situations, but generally has worked out well for both teams.

Roulin is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:14 PM
  #24
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,252
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Sather has found a way to get out of all the bad contracts without crippling the team. They have a very good, young nucleus. Like the Flyers, the Rangers have been fearless in their management. It leads to some embarrassing contract situations, but generally has worked out well for both teams.
When was the last time the Rangers got out of the second round? 1997? That kind of mediocrity gets blasted when it comes to the Habs, yet the Rangers should be lauded for it?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
  #25
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
When was the last time the Rangers got out of the second round? 1997? That kind of mediocrity gets blasted when it comes to the Habs, yet the Rangers should be lauded for it?
I vaguely recall the Conference Finals last year.

habtastic is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.