HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Old
04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
The Germans are invading London again !!!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:42 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

If the Cosmos win promotion back into MLS... I mean get married to the other 19 teams, who else sees themselves as a supporter? They'll be the biggest club in the league after all Cosmos > Galaxy

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
If the Cosmos win promotion back into MLS... I mean get married to the other 19 teams, who else sees themselves as a supporter? They'll be the biggest club in the league after all Cosmos > Galaxy
I might, were I not already affiliated with RBNY. I've always been rather ethical about not changing allegiances.

Its hard to have promotion when you have 8 teams in the 2nd division.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Best part of the semester being over is being able to watch BPL action live in the afternoon! Not great games but I'll take them. Chelsea and Spurs tomorrow should be epic.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 11:56 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

SAF: "mumble mumble mumble mumble"

Old
05-13-2013, 12:59 AM
nyrmetros

What a year Jozy Altidore is having in Hollland....

Old
05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If I seem in poor spirits, this is a big part of the reason.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-city-football

All the snobs who were too good for the Metrostars are going to come running.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:40 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
If I seem in poor spirits, this is a big part of the reason.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-city-football

All the snobs who were too good for the Metrostars are going to come running.
Could be the death of the Metrostars.... Although that has already happened.....

Old
05-21-2013, 05:23 PM
nyrmetros

Manchester City and the Yankees .... wow....

Old
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

In a Yankees fan, live in NYC and I like the Man City colors really...I will for the first time make a team switch when this becomes official and leave the Red Bulls for NYCFC

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

I've had a hard time following the RBs because they are practically the NJ Redbulls, and it also rubs me the wrong way to cheer for a sports drink, so I definitely welcome a second team.

But NYCFC? Can we please get a soccer sounding name. It sounds ridiculous. I was so hoping the Cosmos would be the 20th team. Oh well.....

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
I've had a hard time following the RBs because they are practically the NJ Redbulls, and it also rubs me the wrong way to cheer for a sports drink, so I definitely welcome a second team.

But NYCFC? Can we please get a soccer sounding name. It sounds ridiculous. I was so hoping the Cosmos would be the 20th team. Oh well.....
New York City football club is as classic as it gets

Classic club names don't have anything except the city

05-22-2013, 09:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

New York City Football Club is as classic as it gets, going by international football naming conventions.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:10 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:

You couldn't spend $100 million and get a more soccer sounding name...... The Cosmos only have a soccer sounding name because for a brief period of time they were an actual club. If they had never existed and today you told me that you were going to name your new soccer club the cosmos, I'd say you are delusional...

Old
05-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The Cosmos will wallow in the NASL until such a time as promotion is put in (possibly never)

This is RBNY's time to step up. They need to start winning championships or risk becoming the NY Americans.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:28 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The Cosmos will wallow in the NASL until such a time as promotion is put in (possibly never)

This is RBNY's time to step up. They need to start winning championships or risk becoming the NY Americans.
I have 3 season tickets to NYRB. Seriously my heart isn't in it (I'm a huge Man Utd and EPL supporter from Ireland) and NYRB although are doing well I might start supporting a team that plays in NYC rather than Jersey. As a Man United / NY Mets fan though this would be a tough one.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:24 PM
ecemleafs

The NYCFC team should try to get a stadium built in the west side railyard so its in manhattan. A stadium in manhattan would be ideal.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Oak
Hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
The NYCFC team should try to get a stadium built in the west side railyard so its in manhattan. A stadium in manhattan would be ideal.
I heard on Fox Soccer channel last night they want to build a new stadium specifically for soccer very close to Yankee stadium. 2015 NYCFC will be playing in Yankee stadium, with 2016 supposedly in the new stadium.

PS. Sorry I disagree but I still don't like NYCFC.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I have 3 season tickets to NYRB. Seriously my heart isn't in it (I'm a huge Man Utd and EPL supporter from Ireland) and NYRB although are doing well I might start supporting a team that plays in NYC rather than Jersey. As a Man United / NY Mets fan though this would be a tough one.
I have a season ticket to RBNY. I couldn't be happier with the way they treat their season ticket holders, and the product on the field has been pretty good lately - I'll be sticking with my team.

That said I'm excited for NYCFC and some New York derby's.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:02 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

NYCFC is a ****ing perfect name. Considering the switch, because following the Red Bulls has been tougher than I'd like it to be.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Kershaw

Wow Robben out of all people lol. Bayern looks like they're gonna win Champions League finals.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:33 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
NYCFC is a ****ing perfect name. Considering the switch, because following the Red Bulls has been tougher than I'd like it to be.
NY United sounds good too but I could see confusion being had with the school. Gotham FC? Empire FC? Usually when theres a club in a large city the name is more localized to the neighborhood. Chelsea, Fulham, West Ham etc.. They're all in London. There is no "London FC". This wont work as nicely in NYC because there aren't hundreds of clubs of all sizes within the city. "Harlem FC" or "Astoria United" wont have the same kind of broad appeal.

The problem with the American approach is that they're making these new clubs without any of the grassroots support and infrastructure needed. Please understand that in Europe, and England specifically, these are actual "clubs" that are intertwined with their local communities. They take in promising and gifted children and become a second family from perhaps as early as 8-9. There are club members who have a say, a real influence. The "owners" don't actually own the team in the sense that they're all powerful. You couldn't move Liverpool FC and you couldn't just build a new club in Liverpool and expect it to succeed. The MLS feels so very contrived. A cheap attempt to mooch off the success of the game in a new market. Perhaps what's more closer to Football in America is Baseball. Across the country there are thousands of clubs, from little league all the way up to senior leagues. Baseball is ubiquitous in the US in the same way Football is in the UK. It's intertwined into the nation's culture, part of it's history. Soccer in America has to be built from the bottom up, not top down. There needs to be some sort of pyramid.

Part of the problem is geography, America is too big. A small 3rd division club can't afford to travel coast to coast 20 times a season. While in the comparatively smaller European nations, a tiny club can budget in those cross country bus rides that'll take a few hours. This is why there needs to be about 5-8 regional pyramids in the US, much like conference North and South in England. Those regional leagues have their own tiers and from there nominates their best clubs to compete for entry into the larger national 2-4 tiered pyramid, who's summit is MLS. This spurs a more local and competitive spirit between players fans and clubs. You feel more connected and loyal to Pelham Bay F.C. Then you would NYCFC. If your local team is good enough for long enough they'll find themselves at the top. There there'll be more money for players, facilities and all the other goodies. And oh the thrill you feel in seeing your team make the first division! It's like raising your child and watching him/her succeed. But this only works of course if there is a passion for the sport. A passion that'll make you want to sit in some measly 2000 seat stadium and watch your neighborhood club play in the freezing rain and snow. This passion (for soccer at least) doesn't exist yet in America though. But it does for gridiron football. NCAA D-1 football is surprisingly similar to the European model when you think about it.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
nyrmetros

Did anyone catch the epic USA vs Germany game at RFK in DC ??

Old
06-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Did anyone catch the epic USA vs Germany game at RFK in DC ??
Tim Howard isn't that good. They almost blew it, but congrats on them for holding on for the win.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Kershaw

Pirlo to MLS after 2014 WC?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...up-brazil.html

Quote:
Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo says he will quit the Italian national team after the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Pirlo has made 97 appearances for Italy since making his debut against Azerbaijan in 2002, and helped the Azzurri to the 2006 World Cup title.

At the presentation of his autobiography "I think therefore I play" on Thursday, Pirlo says "we have to leave space for the youngsters to come through."
Pure speculation on my behalf, but imagine if NYCFC gets a legend like Pirlo in their inaugural season. That would definitely get me interested in MLS soccer for once.

If you want perfection, just look at this man: