HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Nichushkin Says He'll Play in North America Next Season

Old
05-23-2013, 01:52 AM
salim919

vCash: 500
Nichushkin Says He'll Play in North America Next Season

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130522/663592291.html

salim919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Exciting news, but imo, all but guarantees he goes to Tampa

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:56 AM
bleedgreen

Which makes someone drop we didn't expect to be there at 5. Still a win.

The assumed top 4 by consensus till recently was jones, Mack, drouin, and barkov. If this kid moves up......

Dominoes.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:37 AM
rocky7
Run 'n' Gun

vCash: 50
who knows for sure where they will be, who picks who and how the picks turn out to be, but from what little i've seen, i like drouin.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Roboturner913

At this point I just hope Jones is not the faller. I can get excited about any of those forwards but Jones has some pretty serious bust potential.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
At this point I just hope Jones is not the faller. I can get excited about any of those forwards but Jones has some pretty serious bust potential.
Mostly depends in Colorado.

If they go MacKinnon I could easily see:

Col - Mac
Fla - Drouin
TB - Nich
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Jones

I'd be fine with that. Jones-Faulk might be the best pairing in the league for the long haul if it happened.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Mostly depends in Colorado.

If they go MacKinnon I could easily see:

Col - Mac
Fla - Drouin
TB - Nich
NSH - Barkov
CAR - Jones

I'd be fine with that. Jones-Faulk might be the best pairing in the league for the long haul if it happened.
There is just no way that Colorado passes on Jones. That would be an epic blunder, from both a hockey and marketing standpoint.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Further, I doubt Tampa would pass on Jones if he somehow fell to them. They had a bottom five defense.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
There is just no way that Colorado passes on Jones. That would be an epic blunder, from both a hockey and marketing standpoint.
Personally I'd take MacKinnon over Jones from a hockey standpoint. It is a sure fire franchise Center vs. an elite prospect of a D as you can get with high potential to be a franchise D, but not 100% guaranteed.

D are just harder to project for certain at 18 years old than forwards. If I were in that spot I'd take the sure bet.

I get the marketing standpoint, Canes fans understand a gimmick better than anyone. But if Jones wasn't from COL, I think the majority opinion would be they should take MacKinnon and run. Someone in Colorado has to be considering that standpoint.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Personally I'd take MacKinnon over Jones from a hockey standpoint. It is a sure fire franchise Center vs. an elite prospect of a D as you can get with high potential to be a franchise D, but not 100% guaranteed.

D are just harder to project for certain at 18 years old than forwards. If I were in that spot I'd take the sure bet.

I get the marketing standpoint, Canes fans understand a gimmick better than anyone. But if Jones wasn't from COL, I think the majority opinion would be they should take MacKinnon and run. Someone in Colorado has to be considering that standpoint.
The thing is, they already have three solid young centers in Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly. They're set down the middle for a long time.

Colorado gambled on getting a franchise defenseman on the sly when they traded for Johnson, who every minute is looking less like the guy we thought he would be. This is their opportunity to get a bona fide cornerstone blueliner, and quietly make Johnson a very good second-pairing guy.

From a hockey perspective, this seems like a slam-dunk decision for the Avs. Add the marketing angle and I just don't see why they would go in a different direction, unless they thought Jones is just utterly overrated... which isn't impossible, but that's one hell of a risk to take.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
I wonder if McBain plus our 2014 2nd would get it done for Erik Johnson. I thought CO had a strong pipeline of developing D-men.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Further, I doubt Tampa would pass on Jones if he somehow fell to them. They had a bottom five defense.
True, and that scenario would worst case for anyone hoping Drouin or Barkov drops. But Tampa's head of scouting did not seem impressed with Jones on the defensive side or his NHL readiness. Maybe they would take him though.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotOpie View Post
I wonder if McBain plus our 2014 2nd would get it done for Erik Johnson. I thought CO had a strong pipeline of developing D-men.
Doubt it. Colorado spent too much to get Johnson just to cut bait so quickly and for so little return. They'll give him time to develop, otherwise they would never have dealt for him.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
The thing is, they already have three solid young centers in Stastny, Duchene and O'Reilly. They're set down the middle for a long time.

Colorado gambled on getting a franchise defenseman on the sly when they traded for Johnson, who every minute is looking less like the guy we thought he would be. This is their opportunity to get a bona fide cornerstone blueliner, and quietly make Johnson a very good second-pairing guy.

From a hockey perspective, this seems like a slam-dunk decision for the Avs. Add the marketing angle and I just don't see why they would go in a different direction, unless they thought Jones is just utterly overrated... which isn't impossible, but that's one hell of a risk to take.
I see your point.

Although Statsny is a UFA in one year, so he probably isn't a lock for long-term, but Duchene should be able to fill the 1C role with O'Reillu slotting at 2C. Can never have enough Centers though.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
Quote:
Doubt it. Colorado spent too much to get Johnson just to cut bait so quickly and for so little return. They'll give him time to develop, otherwise they would never have dealt for him.
In another thread I added Jeremy Welch to the deal....still probably not enough....

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:50 PM
bleedgreen

unlikely that by the end of the coming season the avs still have all three centers they have now. If they made the decision that oreilly stays then stastny could be gone this off season. lacroix in the past absolutely would trade oreilly, but thank god he is out of the loop.

while its probable that recent talk that jones isnt a lock for number one here in CO is just the usual smoke that gets blown pre-draft to drum interest in both the event and in possible suitors - i wouldnt say jones is a lock. i agree he has potential bust on him, i wouldnt want the number one pick. mack is the safest pick imo.

i could see the avs shopping stastny for d help, taking mack and rolling with three damn good young centers for the next few years. i could also see sakic thinking the avs severely lack veteran leadership and trying to find a way to keep stastny. definitely an interesting time for the avs.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote