HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jagr or Iginla at trade deadline day in hindsight

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Trap Jesus

vCash: 500
I'd argue Jagr has been the worst Bruin so far this playoffs. However, I really don't see that much potential in the prospects we gave up and the only thing that hurts to trade is the possible first round pick the Bruins would give up if they get to the Conference Finals. And watching Jagr to close out the season, I think he could still find another gear and start playing well.

Looking at the return they would have given up for Iginla, I'm very happy they didn't/couldn't make the trade. Bartkowski has honestly been incredible since that rumor came out and he's a big reason why the Bruins are where they are right now. With the cap going down next year, I feel comfortable in not bringing a guy like Ference back in order to insert Bartkowski into the line-up full-time. And Bartkowski may not even be the best prospect in the rumored deal. Most Bruins fans think very highly of Koko, certainly relative to how they thought of Bartkowski at the time of the deal. Then you have the first rounder on top of that.

The assets that Pittsburgh ended giving up keeps looking more and more lopsided. Iginla/Feaster really screwed Calgary over on this one. Watching Iginla it does look like he's lost a step, but he looks OK. He certainly has been better than Jagr this playoffs.

Last edited by Trap Jesus: 05-23-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old
05-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
The funny thing about that is that between the two players it was Iggy that acted more like the two bit saloon worker at the trade deadline.
Iginla wanted to play for the Penguins, people especially Bruins fans need to get over this. It's his decision at the end of the day and it's Feaster and the Flames that did not handle this professionally.

Jagr is all about money, it's been the case since he started his career, he doesn't care where he plays

Old
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
I'm not worried about Jagr's plans next year. I'm not at all sold on wanting him to re-sign -- so it's really a moot point.

Just having some fun at the expense of some Pens fans that refuse to admit that Iginla whored himself out at the last minute, left Calgary with a massively sub par return, and went back on his word to Calgary as to who they could try and deal with.

Other than that he handed it with pure class. Pure class.
See...this is where you have it all wrong. Feaster whored him out, and without preferences, name dropping, the return would be even less had it been Pittsburgh all alone. so... in a sense he dropped a few names so there could be a bit of a bid war to hike up his value, but still doesn't mean Shero can't lowball him. This isn't like the offers were handed in last second, Feaster probably had the offers for days and nobody flinched. Pretty obvious as to where he'd probably want to play.

He handled it with as much class as one can bestowe in that situation. The guy's been all class his entire career.

You know what? You got one hell of a classy dude after.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I'd argue Jagr has been the worst Bruin so far this playoffs. However, I really don't see that much potential in the prospects we gave up and the only thing that hurts to trade is the possible first round pick the Bruins would give up if they get to the Conference Finals. And watching Jagr to close out the season, I think he could still find another gear and start playing well.

Looking at the return they would have given up for Iginla, I'm very happy they didn't make the trade. Bartkowski has honestly been incredible since that rumor came out and he's a big reason why the Bruins are where they are right now. With the cap going down next year, I feel comfortable in not bringing a guy like Ference back in order to insert Bartkowski into the line-up full-time. And Bartkowski may not even be the best prospect in the rumored deal. Most Bruins fans think very highly of Koko, certainly relative to how they thought of Bartkowski at the time of the deal. Then you have the first rounder on top of that.

The assets that Pittsburgh ended giving up keeps looking more and more lopsided. Iginla/Feaster really screwed Calgary over on this one. Watching Iginla it does look like he's lost a step, but he looks OK. He certainly has been better than Jagr this playoffs.
It was only a conditional second, right? Not a first. Pretty much the difference between the Jagr trade will be between a low second and a low first, although I think that the two prospects Boston gave up were better than the two the Pens gave up narrowing that gap. But again, for simplicity lets call them a wash and say it was the difference between a low second and a low first.

Iginla is 5th in the NHL in scoring in the playoffs. Jagr is 80th.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm

Iginla is 8th in the NHL playoffs in goals scored. Jagr is not even on the list:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...viewName=goals

You can scream misused, and lament 'if only he was on a better line!' until the cows come home. Hell, Pens' fans are doing that with Iginla. But in the end these players are paid to produce on the scoresheet. One is, and one is not. Worth the difference between a low second and a low first. Sometimes things are cheaper for a reason.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
It was only a conditional second, right? Not a first. Pretty much the difference between the Jagr trade will be between a low second and a low first, although I think that the two prospects Boston gave up were better than the two the Pens gave up narrowing that gap. But again, for simplicity lets call them a wash and say it was the difference between a low second and a low first.

Iginla is 8th in the NHL playoffs in goals scored. Jagr is not even on the list:

You can scream misused, and lament 'if only he was on a better line!' until the cows come home. Hell, Pens' fans are doing that with Iginla. But in the end these players are paid to produce on the scoresheet. One is, and one is not.
What the hell are you talking about? I said Jagr was probably the worst Bruin this playoffs, why are you trying to convince me that he's been bad?

Old
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
What the hell are you talking about? I said Jagr was probably the worst Bruin this playoffs, why are you trying to convince me that he's been bad?
Sorry for the confusion. The only part I was actually addressing to you was about the conditional pick being a second rather than the first.

The rest was a general answer to the thread. I likely should have separated the two points into differing posts.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. The only part I was actually addressing to you was about the conditional pick being a second rather than the first.

The rest was a general answer to the thread. I likely should have separated the two points into differing posts.
It's a second round pick if the Bruins don't make it past the second round. It turns into a first round pick if they make it to the third round.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

Quote:

You can scream misused, and lament 'if only he was on a better line!' until the cows come home. Hell, Pens' fans are doing that with Iginla. But in the end these players are paid to produce on the scoresheet. One is, and one is not. Worth the difference between a low second and a low first. Sometimes things are cheaper for a reason.
The difference is greater than that even looking at current benefit because of how big Bartkowski (who would have been traded) has been for us. Considering that our forwards have stayed healthy, but half of our defensive core from the start of the playoffs is hurt, I would rather have Bart than Iginla at the moment (not saying Bart is anywhere as good of a hockey player as Iginla). If we don't have Bart, we're looking at playing guys like Aaron Johnson.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeti34

Quote:

It's a first if we make it to the ECF. Jags hasn't been the worst bruins forward not by a long shot. He had a bad first couple games, but looks like he is turning the corner albeit slowly. His ability to draw two defenders then make a play out of nowhere is a pretty amazing thing to watch, as slow as he is he is just so smooth that it makes up for the speed deviancy.

The worst bruins have been Pevs and Kelly. They suck, and it's not even close.

Jagr and Seguin have been snakebitten, but I bet we see a reimergence of both these guys in the points dept.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

I've disliked Jagr since around '98 when he was acting like a diva, so my dislike goes back well before the dying alive comments and the trade from the Pens. So obviously what I'm going to say actually has no bias even though I'm a Pens fan...

I've thought Jagr looks more dominant than Iggy every time I watch the Bruins. At least in terms of carrying the puck and on the cycle. I have a feeling any combo of Jagr/Malkin/Crosby would be almost impossible to get the puck from on the cycle.

Obviously production matters and Iggy is doing much better than Jagr, but the playoffs aren't over yet either.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Iginla wanted to play for the Penguins, people especially Bruins fans need to get over this. It's his decision at the end of the day and it's Feaster and the Flames that did not handle this professionally.

Jagr is all about money, it's been the case since he started his career, he doesn't care where he plays
In business you're only as good as your word.

I don't care if someone is motivated by money, emotion, desire to do good, or messages from aliens from outer space. Give me your word, stick with it, and we are good to go no matter what. Deal or no deal.

Iginla gave Feaster a list of teams he'd ok him trying to make a deal with -- then at the last minute pulled the rug out and hamstrung everyone but his buddy Sid. Totally his right to do it, and he certainly earned the right to make the decision.

However, if he weren't an NHL star, he'd not last long in the business world operating that way.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapeze11 View Post
The difference is greater than that even looking at current benefit because of how big Bartkowski (who would have been traded) has been for us. Considering that our forwards have stayed healthy, but half of our defensive core from the start of the playoffs is hurt, I would rather have Bart than Iginla at the moment (not saying Bart is anywhere as good of a hockey player as Iginla). If we don't have Bart, we're looking at playing guys like Aaron Johnson.
THE SUPPOSED TRADE NEVER HAPPENED SO IS IRRELEVANT.

The OP did not ask if Boston was happy the trade did not happen and they settled for Jagr, the OP asked:

Quote:
It's pretty much gauranteed Boston/Pittsburgh will be playing in the Eastern finals now. Flashback to April 3rd, trade deadline day. Do you get excited for Iginla or Jagr to be on your team for this Eastern final series?
If the OP had asked the other question it would have been more appropriate on the Boston board anyways. There are likely hundreds of trades that never happened this past trade deadline.

The ACTUAL question seems to be whether Pens and Boston fans are happy with who they ended up with, or if they would have preferred the other player. Which also would be I suppose is also a nonsensical hypothetical as Iggy chose only to play for the Pens in the end so Boston had no choice. With that in mind, the only way to read this thread to make any sense at all was to read it as asking which team got better value for what they gave up, at least so far.

I am not sure how anyone can answer any but one way, at least so far, given the correction I read that both cost a low first and a couple of parts.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Well PC said the deal was done before it was actually done so I guess his word is meaningless now and he's a big *******.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:

I don't care if someone is motivated by money, emotion, desire to do good, or messages from aliens from outer space. Give me your word, stick with it, and we are good to go no matter what. Deal or no deal.

Iginla gave Feaster a list of teams he'd ok him trying to make a deal with -- then at the last minute pulled the rug out and hamstrung everyone but his buddy Sid. Totally his right to do it, and he certainly earned the right to make the decision.

However, if he weren't an NHL star, he'd not last long in the business world operating that way.
Do really believe Iginla submitted a list of teams and nobody considered multiple teams might make offers?

Old
05-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How anyone can choose Jagr over Iginla I don't know.
Bruins fans (and others) have explained it quite well repeatedly for you, but you must be one of those guys who doesn't read threads, just drops in his comment.

Iginla is better than Jagr. Straight up, you take Iginla over Jagr.BUT

The Bruins ended up really needing one of the key assets in the trade that they would have made to get Iginla. Matt Bartowski (you know, one of the three rookie D that NBC/TSN have been pointing out and glowing about each game vs. the Rangers?)

If the trade had been made, the Bruins would have Iginla over Jagr (improvement) but no Bartowski as a sixth and would be dressing an AHL player with 0 games in the NHL in the ECSF.

Therefore, the Bruins fans can look back and say that losing Khokhlachev and Bartowski would be much more costly right now than the slight downgrade of Iginla to Jagr.
Now, if the series' finish as they are with the current leaders winning, then you have two intangibles going into the series that motivate the Boston Bruins; Jagr against the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Boston Bruins response to Iginla choosing Pittsburgh. Both are factors we will all enjoy watching.

Hope this helps you better understand hockey and the situation and opinions of others.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

As an aside, does anyone else from either fanbase find it funny that Bruins fans were as upset about Iginla going to Pittsburgh almost as much as Pittsburgh fans were upset about Jagr going to Philadelphia?

It isn't an attack on the fanbase at all but odd that these two teams with fans feeling slighted by opposing players not coming to their cities are one win away each from facing off?

Will Bruins fans boo Iginla as much as Penguins fans will boo Jagr? Will there still be enough energy in these fans to boo Chara and Crosby? What about booing Cooke?

Old
05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Well PC said the deal was done before it was actually done so I guess his word is meaningless now and he's a big *******.
Petyer Chiarelli never said the deal was done and leaked it. It never happened. Never. Research is your friend. Other 'sources' in the organization thought it was done and told Aaron Ward. Aaron Ward told you.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:25 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
As an aside, does anyone else from either fanbase find it funny that Bruins fans were as upset about Iginla going to Pittsburgh almost as much as Pittsburgh fans were upset about Jagr going to Philadelphia?

It isn't an attack on the fanbase at all but odd that these two teams with fans feeling slighted by opposing players not coming to their cities are one win away each from facing off?

Will Bruins fans boo Iginla as much as Penguins fans will boo Jagr? Will there still be enough energy in these fans to boo Chara and Crosby? What about booing Cooke?
You must not be following along in the other threads. Jagr won't be booed. The only noise in Consol is when somebody farts, and can clearly be heard over the silent crowd.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:25 AM
JuicyJ*

Jagr in Pittsburgh would be a disaster. Running around slapping his stick on the ice while Crosby skates it up. In theory him with Malkin/Crosby works, but not if he just skates up and down the boards until he turns it over

Old
05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
JuicyJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
No he didn't. Do you even know what you're talking about ?

Old
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Cooke and Iginla will definitely get booed. Not sure about Crosby. I can't remember if Bruins fans boo him or not (doesn't make any sense to anyways).

Old
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:

There's so much blind misunderstanding here of the situation. I'll quote the part that you seem to understand then go off again. Red for the most important part.

He did exactly what he said he'd do. Was Pittsburgh not on this list? Are the other teams so worried about the fact he wanted to go to pittsburgh that were on the list, too?

You are barking up the wrong tree, man. You're chasing around, Iginla. When infact, you should bark at Feaster and Chiarelli for jumping the gun, and I'll say on purpose, too.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
JuicyJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyJ View Post
Jagr in Pittsburgh would be a disaster. Running around slapping his stick on the ice while Crosby skates it up. In theory him with Malkin/Crosby works, but not if he just skates up and down the boards until he turns it over
Since I can't edit my posts, I agree, I would rather have Jagr than Iginla based off what we would have given. Iginla would probably be in the same position as Jagr.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Jagr AINEC

Old
05-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Petyer Chiarelli never said the deal was done and leaked it. It never happened. Never. Research is your friend. Other 'sources' in the organization thought it was done and told Aaron Ward. Aaron Ward told you.
Aaron Ward should have kept his mouth shut until it was 100% confirmed by both Feaster and Chiarelli.

Closed Thread