HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Worked for the Karate Kid.
Wax on. Wax off.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:24 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
it never hurts to surround yourself with piers and watch how other high end performers dedicate themselves to their craft. I think with Fitness it doesn't hurt to shake up your setting and routine and Gary's program is excellant so why not. I have allot of faith in the Jets training staff to organize a program and monitor progress but I don't know who Mark would use "day to day" in the off season so perhaps this is a "team decision" to upgrade his resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Gary Roberts owns a floatilla?
I've got to ask: Is it fare game to point out all of ps241's homophonic errors? He makes allot of them!

PS,ps, I was not making a comment on your sexual orientation.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Bob E

Found it interesting that Chevy and Zinger were 'keenly interested' in watching Trouba at the WC's. And were especially happy with his play and the responsibility he was given on the 1st pp unit. Sounds like he's being penciled in on the Jets pp for next year.

Also, I wonder if the Jets are thinking now is the time to move Buff - if that is the plan one day - or do they wait until the start of the season to make sure Trouba is NHL ready? Would a RH d group of Bogo (assuming he's re-signed), Postma (limited NHL experience), Redmond (even less NHL experience), and Trouba (no NHL experience) be what they want to start the season with? Wonder if a Clitsome, Meech, or even Hainsey (though that's a long-shot at best, imo) is re-signed just as NHL-experience 'insurance'.

A Buff deal is best when he's still marketable and you have replacements, in-house, to step in. Jets might be close, but not quite there.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Found it interesting that Chevy and Zinger were 'keenly interested' in watching Trouba at the WC's. And were especially happy with his play and the responsibility he was given on the 1st pp unit. Sounds like he's being penciled in on the Jets pp for next year.

Also, I wonder if the Jets are thinking now is the time to move Buff - if that is the plan one day - or do they wait until the start of the season to make sure Trouba is NHL ready? Would a RH d group of Bogo (assuming he's re-signed), Postma (limited NHL experience), Redmond (even less NHL experience), and Trouba (no NHL experience) be what they want to start the season with? Wonder if a Clitsome, Meech, or even Hainsey (though that's a long-shot at best, imo) is re-signed just as NHL-experience 'insurance'.

A Buff deal is best when he's still marketable and you have replacements, in-house, to step in. Jets might be close, but not quite there.
The D group will without a doubt get worse without Big Buff.

I wouldn't wanna bank on Trouba, Postma or Redmond handling tough minutes as well as he can.

I think the most likely scenario is that the Jets keep em all and one of Bogo, Trouba, Redmond and Postma is worked in on his off hand.

Trades are a possibility, but they are a lot easier to make in arm chair GM fantasy land than they are in real life.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
I think they'll resign Clitsome for good money on a one year deal. Maybe like 2.5 or even 3m.

Then role with

Enstrom - Bogosian
Clitsome - Byfuglien
Stuart - Trouba.

The time to trade Buff is not now imo. See how the rookies play and reevaluate at the deadline / 2014 draft

Old
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I think they'll resign Clitsome for good money on a one year deal. Maybe like 2.5 or even 3m.

Then role with

Enstrom - Bogosian
Clitsome - Byfuglien
Stuart - Trouba.

The time to trade Buff is not now imo. See how the rookies play and reevaluate at the deadline / 2014 draft
That's how I would like to see it as well right out of the gate, but I think Noel is too in love with Enstrom and Buff together.

But if you put Enstrom and Bogo together you could play them 25 mins a game, Clitsome and Buff for 20 mins, and Stuart and Trouba for 15 mins. Not counting for zone starts and PP / PK time, I like that overall distribution of minutes.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:38 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
I've got to ask: Is it fare game to point out all of ps241's homophonic errors? He makes allot of them!

PS,ps, I was not making a comment on your sexual orientation.
If I type it is "fair" or should I say fare game so flame () away scelaton

Old
05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The D group will without a doubt get worse without Big Buff.

I wouldn't wanna bank on Trouba, Postma or Redmond handling tough minutes as well as he can.

I think the most likely scenario is that the Jets keep em all and one of Bogo, Trouba, Redmond and Postma is worked in on his off hand.

Trades are a possibility, but they are a lot easier to make in arm chair GM fantasy land than they are in real life.
Depending on what the three RFA's sign for, improvements to the top 6 forwards would likely come via trade.

May not be Buff, for now, but i would think trades are made this off-season rather than thru FA signings. May not be blockbusters, though.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:29 PM
Bob E

Another thought about Trouba, he definitely seems to play and win medals when representing his country on US hockey teams. And tends to play a role in their success.

That winning mentality can only help a Jets team trying to build their winning attitude.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:20 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post

Then role with

Enstrom - Bogosian
Clitsome - Byfuglien
Stuart - Trouba.

I agree they should re-sign Clitsome, but hopefully for less than 3 M per. I would also like to see Toby and Bogo as our top pairing. Given some time together I think you will see something special.

Your last point on the timing of a Buff trade is interesting. In a perfect world it makes sense, but all your potential trading partners have their own preferred timelines. So what do you do if you get an offer for Buff at this year's draft that includes all the elements you are looking for? Do you dither or pull the trigger? I'm hoping Chevy is willing to pull the trigger a couple times this off-season. IMO it is time to start making moves to move this team forward.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:46 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Thank god we took a good look at Artus Kulda's abilities to be a 20 minute 2nd pairing LHD so we know what our options look like.

Wait.....

Old
05-24-2013, 06:58 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Thank god we took a good look at Artus Kulda's abilities to be a 20 minute 2nd pairing LHD so we know what our options look like.

Wait.....

At least the U.S. National team did the organization a huge favour selecting and then playing Trouba in a variety of situations. You have to think Chevy has more confidence that Trouba is ready to make the next step.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:31 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

So a little off topic, but when does the prospect list scrolling across the top of the page get updated? To say ours is outdated would be an understatement.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
So a little off topic, but when does the prospect list scrolling across the top of the page get updated? To say ours is outdated would be an understatement.
If I remember correctly it's once a year and normally sometime after draft but can't remember how close to the next season...

I closed mine and its gone forever. I wouldn't even mind having it up again but don't know how.

Old
05-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
If I remember correctly it's once a year and normally sometime after draft but can't remember how close to the next season...

I closed mine and its gone forever. I wouldn't even mind having it up again but don't know how.
I don't have one? I would like to have this too..

Old
05-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Repoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
I don't have one? I would like to have this too..
It's under dismissed notifications in your profile. Last link on the left hand side.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:24 PM
GoldenJet89

vCash: 362
the only way i see buff moved is in a deadline deal

we may get a great offer around the draft, but i kind of doubt it. teams right now are too focussed on re-signing their own players, and figuring out their salary structure with the cap coming down. i doubt many teams will be looking to add an expensive, one dimensional defenceman at this point in time

but as we saw this year, at the deadline anything is possible. a huge offensive threat/pp guy would look great on a contending team. thats where we might get lucky and have someone overpay us with a package of picks/prospects

i dont really see us getting a top tier player back in any package, unless that player also comes with a big cap hit to level it out

Old
05-27-2013, 06:26 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
the only way i see buff moved is in a deadline deal

we may get a great offer around the draft, but i kind of doubt it. teams right now are too focussed on re-signing their own players, and figuring out their salary structure with the cap coming down. i doubt many teams will be looking to add an expensive, one dimensional defenceman at this point in time

but as we saw this year, at the deadline anything is possible. a huge offensive threat/pp guy would look great on a contending team. thats where we might get lucky and have someone overpay us with a package of picks/prospects

i dont really see us getting a top tier player back in any package, unless that player also comes with a big cap hit to level it out
See I would argue the opposite, that the draft is the opportune time to trade a guy like Buff. If you are going to add long term salary (Buff and whoever we get back), rather than picking up a rental you are better off doing it in the off-season while you are making other moves to build your team for the coming season.

At the draft its not like Chevy will be springing a trade idea on someone, it would have likely be something that has been talked about off and on for months.

Besides I can't think of a more difficult player to introduce to your team at the deadline than Buff. He has a ton a talent, but I would imagine a lot of GM's would be reluctant to add his style of play to a team that plays a tight system with attention of detail on defense a month before the playoffs.

Old
05-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Jetsfareast

vCash: 695
this is my picks then and it is still up to now!
is byfuglien+burmistrov good enough to get colorados 1st and 31st picks this year.
or i am insane?.

3 years down the line:
kane mckinnon wheeler
ladd schiefele little
Telegin Gauthier Lowry
cormier sutter kosmachuk

enstrom bogosian
mirco muller trouba
redmond postma
yuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast
1. Avalanche: Mckinnon
2. Panthers: Drouin
3. Lightning: Jones
4. Predators: Barkov
5. Hurricanes: Lindholm
6. Flames: Monahan
7. Oilers: Ristolainen
8. Sabres: Nichuskin
9. Devils: Domi
10. Stars: Nurse

then

Shinkaruk, horvat, Polock, Gauthier, Wenberg, zadarov

just may thoughts. Mckinnon and Droiun can become an impact players on their team as an 18 years old. Jones can also play next year but won't be an impact defenseman, until 4 years down. by that time the other two can already amaze 200 points or more in the nHL. Right now Jones is man among most boys in Junior, but in the NHL half of the league hits and are as strong. Jones will be a good player, but most impact defenseman that are right now in the Nhl are not 1st overall picks. what would you have 6-7 impact years of Mckinnon or 3-4 impact years of Jones. Aves have depth at center they can trade one for a stablish top pairing two way defenseman or top 4 dman that can score points right away because that is what they lack.

i am not sure but can someone give me a thought if Seth Jones is soft? seen him A few times, not as tough as i think. As an elite defenseman you are either( for me) blow your mind offensive force, ie Karlsson or Big two way shut down nasty defenseman that can put points on the board, Chara, Weber.
this is what Seth Jones is projected to be right? an ELITE D, i think he will be a good number 1 D though as his ceiling. But droiun and specially mckinnon can be an Elite offensive player in the NHL. And it seems Mckinnon brings other things to the table also.

i choose BPA and it is Mckinnon, Droiun then Jones, just my own personal ipinion.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
this is my picks then and it is still up to now!
is byfuglien+burmistrov good enough to get colorados 1st and 31st picks this year.
or i am insane?.
Not likely.

As far as i know 1st overall hasn't been traded without a top 5 pick being involved in the last 20 years, so regardless if you think the values there-it hasn't happened in 20+ years, so at this points it's excessive fantasy.

It's just not really the sort of trade that happens.

Old
05-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Jetsfareast

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Not likely.

As far as i know 1st overall hasn't been traded without a top 5 pick being involved in the last 20 years, so regardless if you think the values there-it hasn't happened in 20+ years, so at this points it's excessive fantasy.

It's just not really the sort of trade that happens.
ok would the avalanche give duschene + their 2nd pick 2013 for buff and burmi?

kane duschene wheeler
ladd schiefele little

Old
05-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Bob E

To move up into the top 3 this year would cost something you don't want to give up.

I see 4 attractive young players on the Jets: Kane, Bogo, Trouba and potentially Scheifele. Teams would want 1 (or even more) of those players in a deal for a top pick.

Question likely is - would you trade Bogo or Kane for that pick? And would Col or Florida want said player instead of Jones or MacKinnon. Once you get past #4 or later, then something might open up with #13 and a player like Buff and/or Burmi, imo.

Canes: Buff, Burmi, #13

Might get...

Jets: Skinner, #5

That might not do it either. Jets may need to add. Moving from #13 to #5 would take significant value. Ruutu would likely get it done (maybe), though not sure that works for Jets.

Canes:
Tlusty/E Staal/Semin
Skinner or Ruutu (whoever isn't moved)/J Staal/LaRose
Wallace/Burmi/Dwyer

Pit/Buff
Gleason/Faulk

Jets:

LLW
Kane/Scheifele/Skinner or Ruutu
Tanger/Olli/?

If Scheifele isn't ready, Skinner or Ruutu move to center on 2nd line with Kane.

With #5, Jets draft Lindholm or Monahan, whovever is ranked BPA by them.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
See I would argue the opposite, that the draft is the opportune time to trade a guy like Buff. If you are going to add long term salary (Buff and whoever we get back), rather than picking up a rental you are better off doing it in the off-season while you are making other moves to build your team for the coming season.

At the draft its not like Chevy will be springing a trade idea on someone, it would have likely be something that has been talked about off and on for months.

Besides I can't think of a more difficult player to introduce to your team at the deadline than Buff. He has a ton a talent, but I would imagine a lot of GM's would be reluctant to add his style of play to a team that plays a tight system with attention of detail on defense a month before the playoffs.
I agree, KingBogo.

If the Jets look at a Buff deal as a way of getting more depth - thru young NHL players and draft pick(s) - the draft would be the opportune time to make a deal as you have a decent idea of who you might get with that pick.

Question is, is there depth on D to move Buff? Jets may feel, Trouba has shown enough that he has to play. He may be raw and make mistakes, but we can live with that for this year as he gains NHL experience.

They would have to feel the group of Bogo, Trouba, Postma and Redmond will be ok. Bogo is key in that scenario, too. To have him signed long-term, is critical, if they plan to move Buff.

Old
05-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I agree, KingBogo.

If the Jets look at a Buff deal as a way of getting more depth - thru young NHL players and draft pick(s) - the draft would be the opportune time to make a deal as you have a decent idea of who you might get with that pick.

Question is, is there depth on D to move Buff? Jets may feel, Trouba has shown enough that he has to play. He may be raw and make mistakes, but we can live with that for this year as he gains NHL experience.

They would have to feel the group of Bogo, Trouba, Postma and Redmond will be ok. Bogo is key in that scenario, too. To have him signed long-term, is critical, if they plan to move Buff.
This is what i disagree with. As far as i'm concerned, if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year, you have to blow it up. Your timeline gets screwed and for the team to be competitive with the established core you'd essentially have make the playoffs the next year, and be contending the year after (which doesn't really happen with any sort of regularity).

trading Buff in the offseason (while i wouldn't mind seeing him be moved) is leaving a LOT up to chance with your D core. Your trusting the #3 and #4 D spots to Clitsome and a Rookie(postma/trouba/redmond). That doesn't sound like progress to me.

while i can see moving buff in the offseason as it's easier to manage salary nd accomodate him, and while i'm not totally against it, it does raise some major question marks for me as far as realistic expectations next year, a year that I see as the most critical for this team (we were a bubble team last year, the next step is playoffs, we have to make it to fit the timeline of the LLW core, season ticket renewls, etc)

jets management would have to be extremely confident in their young D to move buff before the season.

Old
05-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
This is what i disagree with. As far as i'm concerned, if this team doesn't make the playoffs this year, you have to blow it up. Your timeline gets screwed and for the team to be competitive with the established core you'd essentially have make the playoffs the next year, and be contending the year after (which doesn't really happen with any sort of regularity).

trading Buff in the offseason (while i wouldn't mind seeing him be moved) is leaving a LOT up to chance with your D core. Your trusting the #3 and #4 D spots to Clitsome and a Rookie(postma/trouba/redmond). That doesn't sound like progress to me.

while i can see moving buff in the offseason as it's easier to manage salary nd accomodate him, and while i'm not totally against it, it does raise some major question marks for me as far as realistic expectations next year, a year that I see as the most critical for this team (we were a bubble team last year, the next step is playoffs, we have to make it to fit the timeline of the LLW core, season ticket renewls, etc)

jets management would have to be extremely confident in their young D to move buff before the season.
I hear ya, Grind. And agree.

They would have to believe that they won't lose that much in trading Buff - with Bogo's continued progression and Trouba's development. With the return being so great for now and the future, it makes sense in both the short-term and future.

Lots to consider for sure. Buff is 28 and may have injury trouble moving forward carrying as much weight as he does. If TNSE has asked Buff to work on his conditioning and he simply doesn't, then they may look at these moves as a way of putting together a team with the right level of commitment - a message of sorts, that management expects dedication, hard work and focus from all its players. Hard to say what goes on behind closed doors.

As fans we want success now. For TNSE, they may see it as short-term pain for long-term gain. And the future far exceeds what they have currently.

Lots to consider.

Closed Thread