HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards Part III: The Buy-Out!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 12:34 PM
  #1
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Brad Richards Part III: The Buy-Out!

After part II reached the limit, this is part III

__________________
There are two types of people in this world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data;
Amazing Kreiderman is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:34 PM
  #2
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Brad Scratchards

Kel Varnsen is online now  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  #3
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 47,016
vCash: 50
This one is for you, Brad.


Bob Richards is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
  #4
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i still wouldn't buy him out. give him another year...theres almost NOTHING worth spending money on this offseason, might as well hope that a former 90 pt/year player regains his form than to just piss him away for nothing with no real options elsewhere.
I agree with this. I'm for buying him out. Just not now. Wait a year. I say buy him out in 2014. He can make an impact again like he did last year for us. Who knows. But he can also blow again. I understand that.

I love having depth at center. It just makes a team better... Of course if they play well. Hopefully Richards will learn from sitting around in this past offseason and come out with a chip on his shoulder. I believe this is just a terrible year for him. Played like crap most of the year and he still had a pace of 60 points in a full season.
Wait and see one more year. Just my opinion.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
  #5
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Buying out Richards has no real downside.

- Leadership? He hasn't shown any.
- Too much pressure on Stepan? What about this whole season?


We free 7 million in cap space, remove a player who has no positive influence on the group whatsoever and we can give the youngsters a chance.

Who will get the A? Girardi?

Amazing Kreiderman is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  #6
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
Buying out Richards has no real downside.

- Leadership? He hasn't shown any.
- Too much pressure on Stepan? What about this whole season?


We free 7 million in cap space, remove a player who has no positive influence on the group whatsoever and we can give the youngsters a chance.

Who will get the A? Girardi?
Are you in the lockeroom?

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:39 PM
  #7
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!
 
Amazing Kreiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Are you in the lockeroom?
I am not saying he has a negative influence, but he hasn't brought anything when he signed his fat contract. Nothing to lose here.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:41 PM
  #8
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
fine i'm gonna say it. i don't like the decision to scratch him. he hasn't been good at all and has made plenty of bad plays but newbury is completely uselesss and even bad brad is >>>>>>> newbury (and yes that includes him with his mistakes)

SA16 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:42 PM
  #9
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 500
I totally understand this part of the game, getting old and watching rather than leading is tough for some, they fight it when they should adapt. I love Messier but he was the same, didn't want to let go, eventually he took a backseat and looked better with less minutes. And at least he was still ok on the power play.

Brad is lucky, some of us never got to that level or stage that he's seen, and he earned it.

Maybe the return to a normal NHL offseason helps somehow, doesn't look like that's the problem though. We've seen this downward progression more than I care to think about.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:43 PM
  #10
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,353
vCash: 500
Personally, I don't want to see him being bought out this off season. I feel he can bounce back; a player like him can go from a #1C to sucking **** the next season. Give him next season, then buy him out.

nyrpassion is online now  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:43 PM
  #11
DelZottoHitTheNetJK
Registered User
 
DelZottoHitTheNetJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
So for some reason when I went to look at Brad's playoff stats on NHL.com they changed his picture to this:




DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
  #12
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
fine i'm gonna say it. i don't like the decision to scratch him. he hasn't been good at all and has made plenty of bad plays but newbury is completely uselesss and even bad brad is >>>>>>> newbury (and yes that includes him with his mistakes)
It could provide a jolt to the rest of the team who have looked like crap. We need something major to change, we can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result, it's a 3-0 series right now.

Kel Varnsen is online now  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
  #13
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,674
vCash: 500
I can see why people say wait for next yr but with the cap the way it is getting rid of 7 million, signing the RFA's gives enough to get Clowe back and sign a guy like Weiss for 3-4 million.

I am pretty shocked he's sitting out game 4 but I guess its a message , he's a goner

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
  #14
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
i'm def all for buying him out this offseason though. he's likely a better option than any of the FA this year but it is much too risky keeping him on and taking the chance he gets injured

SA16 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
  #15
nyrpassion
Vetted.
 
nyrpassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,353
vCash: 500
And for the record, I ****ing hate the scratch today. If you're trying to send a message to your team don't scratch Richie in an elimination game, do it Game 3, NOT WHEN YOUR SEASON IS ON THE LINE.
Anyone really think Newbury/Haley in the lineup will fare better than Richards?
This is just Tort's unconventional way of trying to light a fire under the team's ass, but it is too little, too late, and too extreme.

nyrpassion is online now  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
  #16
Jax1166
Registered User
 
Jax1166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: I-95
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
It's being discussed on NHL radio right now.
Boomer and his co host are arguing he should be given one more chance.
Think the Rangers would regret it if he goes elsewhere and rediscovers himself.

Richards may not be this bad, but are they crazy?
Richards is not the PPQB and number 1 center, he may not even be a top six, he is older, slower, and his confidence/skills are gone.

Do they not know at his age this is not a fluke?

Jax1166 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
  #17
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
This series with Richards being a healthy scratch and Redden playing on the other side to remind us of his actual presence on this earth, has really brought everything back full circle, big picture for me.

Do what you need to do with Richards in the offseason.

But Slats needs to go. That's the real problem. Not Richards folks. When it comes to free agent signings he's probably got the worst track record of any long term GM in the history of the game of hockey. This team is always trying to piece together a roster with limited cap space, swapping out parts for parts, removing depth for scoring, stuck in a constant repetitive cycle.

You can't have a player you've put so much stock into be a healthy scratch in a playoff elimination game, i'm sorry, you just can't. Its embarrassing. I put full blame on Sather - given his laundry list of free agent failures.

It may sound like sour grapes or hindsight always being 20-20, but regardless of what the fans wanted - he and the Rangers made the decision to bring him in and they should be held responsible for this. Its not like he was 22 and coming off a career year.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
  #18
CheeseTortorella
Registered User
 
CheeseTortorella's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
I am actually curious as to what will happen to Richards. I was surprised when we got rid of Gaborik towards the end of the season, I would have thought we would have waited till the end of the season to do something with him.

CheeseTortorella is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
  #19
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
richards met with like 5-10 teams in toronto who all wanted to sign him to a similar type deal as we did..particularly the leafs..you make it sound like sather was the only one offering him a big contract which is entirely false. can't blame sather on that one

SA16 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
  #20
gmerger37
Registered User
 
gmerger37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Here is a hypothetical for you guys. Let' say we don't buy out Richard$ this summer, instead we give him another shot at the 2013-2014 season, and he has a pretty solid-ish performance, let's say 25 ish goals and 30-40 ish assists and he is in the 60-70 point range. Say we make the playoffs, have a pretty decent run and brad contributes throughout. Do we still buy him out even though in theory he has returned to being a contributor or do we still buy him out in the summer of 2014 knowing that he is probably going to continue to decline?

Basically if we give him another shot and he has a bounce back season, would you guys still buy him out and be on the hook for the rest of the contract?

gmerger37 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
  #21
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Boomer and Carton? Boomer is a passionate Rangers fan but not well versed on the ins and outs of the business side.

If they retain Richards next year, they will have approximately $13 Million to re-sign McDonagh, Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, as well as sign/replace Clowe. They will also need an additional two defensemen for the AHL/depth.

Crease is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
  #22
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
I am not saying he has a negative influence, but he hasn't brought anything when he signed his fat contract. Nothing to lose here.
I'm not the one to bring up the past, but Lundqvist and him brought us to the 2nd best record and the ECF last year. I'm not saying it's not possible he's finished and this is the player he is, but we saw what he can do with the team. One more year. Then buy him out whether he helps us or he flat out sucks.

Florida Ranger is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 01:02 PM
  #23
nlking42
Rookie User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Have to buy out Richards

Rangers have huge cap problems and that's with buying out Richards. Go to cap geek.com for more details.

nlking42 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
  #24
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmerger37 View Post
Here is a hypothetical for you guys. Let' say we don't buy out Richard$ this summer, instead we give him another shot at the 2013-2014 season, and he has a pretty solid-ish performance, let's say 25 ish goals and 30-40 ish assists and he is in the 60-70 point range. Say we make the playoffs, have a pretty decent run and brad contributes throughout. Do we still buy him out even though in theory he has returned to being a contributor or do we still buy him out in the summer of 2014 knowing that he is probably going to continue to decline?

Basically if we give him another shot and he has a bounce back season, would you guys still buy him out and be on the hook for the rest of the contract?
Short of winning the Hart and Conn Smythe next year, he's gone.

Crease is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
  #25
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This series with Richards being a healthy scratch and Redden playing on the other side to remind us of his actual presence on this earth, has really brought everything back full circle, big picture for me.

Do what you need to do with Richards in the offseason.

But Slats needs to go. That's the real problem. Not Richards folks. When it comes to free agent signings he's probably got the worst track record of any long term GM in the history of the game of hockey. This team is always trying to piece together a roster with limited cap space, swapping out parts for parts, removing depth for scoring, stuck in a constant repetitive cycle.

You can't have a player you've put so much stock into be a healthy scratch in a playoff elimination game, i'm sorry, you just can't. Its embarrassing. I put full blame on Sather - given his laundry list of free agent failures.

It may sound like sour grapes or hindsight always being 20-20, but regardless of what the fans wanted - he and the Rangers made the decision to bring him in and they should be held responsible for this. Its not like he was 22 and coming off a career year.

I feel your frustration and agree with the analysis. Sather needs to go, he won't though. And that means Richards will stay, the guys who brought him in here will make excuses for why he was so 'ineffective'.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.