HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post

Rangers were the best team in the Eastern Conference last year, then they ADDED Nash in the offseason AND added key role players they lost in the Nash trade by getting rid of Gaborik, got Derick Brassard, John Moore, Derek Dorsett, and a draft pick. Plus they acquired Clowe. Not to mention they're defensively great with McDonagh, Girardi, Stralman, Moore, Hamrlik as their 8th defenseman, etc. Don't forget their incredible goalie.
They were contenders on paper at the BEGINNING of the season. By the playoffs they were not. They were a one dimensional team relying on their GOALIE to win them games, which he's had.

Quote:

San Jose are contenders. They may have traded Douglas Murray and Clowe, but they got back Hannan (just as effective as Murray) and Torres (despite being suspended is a great role player). They got not 1, but 2 2nd round picks for Murray (wow what a trade) and they got a second round pick, third round pick, and another conditional 2nd round pick for Clowe. What did they give up fro Torres, Hannan? 3rd round pick for Torres and a CONDITIONAL 7th Round pick for Hannan. But yeah aren't contenders tying the previous Stanley Cup Champions through 4 games...plus they HAVE A GREAT GOALIE IN NIEMI (see it there WhiteSnake ).
San Jose was not a contender, stop it. If you can say they were contenders, then so can we..a 2nd place team in the East. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

Results in a few playoff games have nothing to do with being a contender. You keep moving the goal posts. First the definition of contender is before the season. Now all it takes is to play well and overachieve against a good team.

Quote:
Price's best season: 2010-11 Amazing stats
Price's second best season: 2011-12Amazing stats given the team's performance
Price's third best season: 2007-08Okay/Good stats given team's performance
Price's fourth best season: 2008-09Good stats given team's performance/rushed him back from injury
Price's fifth best season: 2009-10Okay stats given his personal issues on/off ice
Price's worst season: 2012-13 (a half season). Bad stats, but he gets a mulligan cuz half a season

That's IMO, Price's performance over his career. Disagree or not, don't really care. I give Price's performance over the years an A-/B+.
Then I read this and understand why your definitions are so skewed. "Amazing" is what I'd use to describe Price's 1st season and the one 2 years ago. The way you make excuses for his poor play is sad. You can do the same thing for every other goalie in the league. If Price is going to get a pass for his play, then so should other goalies. But they don't.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
They were contenders on paper at the BEGINNING of the season. By the playoffs they were not. They were a one dimensional team relying on their GOALIE to win them games, which he's had.
WTF? K i guess on paper is all that matters to you, but down the stretch/after the Gaborik trade NYR were on fire, only two other teams were better than them, PIT and WSH.

One dimensional? lol

Quote:
San Jose was not a contender, stop it. If you can say they were contenders, then so can we..a 2nd place team in the East. But that doesn't fit your narrative.

Results in a few playoff games have nothing to do with being a contender. You keep moving the goal posts. First the definition of contender is before the season. Now all it takes is to play well and overachieve against a good team.
Don't compare the San Jose Sharks to the Montreal Canadiens. Honestly, Murray is a 6th defenseman and they got a 6th/7th defenseman back in Hannan. Are they SERIOUS contenders? Of course not. But given how they manhandled Vancouver, how they're playing with Los Angeles quite well right now, they're contenders.

WTF? Contenders usually change throughout the season based on how the team plays and acquisitions (especially near the deadline).

How do I keep moving the goal posts? If San Jose beats Los Angeles, is San Jose still not a contender? Is Los Angeles not a contender?

My goodness.

Quote:
Then I read this and understand why your definitions are so skewed. "Amazing" is what I'd use to describe Price's 1st season and the one 2 years ago. The way you make excuses for his poor play is sad. You can do the same thing for every other goalie in the league. If Price is going to get a pass for his play, then so should other goalies. But they don't.
I used amazing to describe last year's given how the team was the WORST TEAM IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE. And then two years ago, well just look at the stats too. Not to mention how "bad" our team still is "on paper" since thats what it seems is how you judge "contenders".

Old
05-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Want to hear about an overrated goaltender? How about the #1 overall in the rich 2003 draft? The Penguins actually traded up to make sure they got M-A Fleury when Staal, Vanek, Horton, Suter, Parise, and others were available. Now the Penguins are using a Hab castoff while Fleury sits.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:55 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Want to hear about an overrated goaltender? How about the #1 overall in the rich 2003 draft? The Penguins actually traded up to make sure they got M-A Fleury when Staal, Vanek, Horton, Suter, Parise, and others were available. Now the Penguins are using a Hab castoff while Fleury sits.
LOL don't forget Perry, Richards, Getzlaf, Weber, Bergeron (last two were 2nd rounders).

Old
05-23-2013, 03:42 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
LOL don't forget Perry, Richards, Getzlaf, Weber, Bergeron (last two were 2nd rounders).
Yet statistically any edge Price may have doesn't really show in the numbers . Only in the land of make believe.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:47 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Yet statistically any edge Price may have doesn't really show in the numbers . Only in the land of make believe.
Are you talking about in terms of edge over MAF or against those people in general?

If you were to ask me, right now, which goalie is better MAF or Price, I take Carey Price every day of the week and twice on sundays. MAF has a ridiculously way better team in front of him and look how he plays now and in the past too...

Regular season success is great, but when your career playoff stats are .904 and a 2.72 GAA in 79 GP, how can you say he's better than Price?

Closed Thread