HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread XI

Old
05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
MP92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
@howardeskin 6m
Finally got a definite answer ..will #flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov be back with Flyers. Pres peter Luukko told me today..YES !
Eskin, huh? I'll wait for another source to confirm that.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:58 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

I'm fine with our goalies. our real problems still exist on defense and wing. we need to make something happen there. bryzgalov is gone next year, cup or not so id rather get back to finding PMD's and sniping forwards to get back on track with this goal scoring barrage of a system were supposed to have. we need to go ahead with laviolette and his way of doing things if were keeping him. the goalies will be fine. but......if Tim Thomas wants to come here i think that'd warrant the buyout for me anyway. He's too good to not have another season or two in him and he's the whole reason bryz got that long of a contract anyway. if we can have the real thing......id take it.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I'm fine with our goalies. our real problems still exist on defense and wing. we need to make something happen there. bryzgalov is gone next year, cup or not so id rather get back to finding PMD's and sniping forwards to get back on track with this goal scoring barrage of a system were supposed to have. we need to go ahead with laviolette and his way of doing things if were keeping him. the goalies will be fine.
Getting rid of Bryz would help you in doing that by giving you more cap room. If he's gone next year and there's better options out there then why not just get it over with.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Keeping Bryz if you have the option to buy him out and get a cheaper alternative who likely won't be any worse than him is just bad cap management. Use his space to strengthen other areas of the team.

The guy has been such garbage for two years. We really don't need a 3rd year. I mean, really...the guy will be competing with Steve Freaking Mason for a starting spot. With his cap hit it's unacceptable that there's any question about who's the starter.

05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Getting rid of Bryz would help you in doing that by giving you more cap room. If he's gone next year and there's better options out there then why not just get it over with.
i would be more definitive about doin it this season if there was a free agent market but considering we have no idea what maneuvers we can pull off i don't think its that crazy to wait until the last minute to see what shapes up. i also don't blame him for last season so i think thats part of it too. mason can't be trusted five seconds in. thats what this year would be for me. easing him in while all the pressure is still on bryzgalov. i would hope they are lookin at options like thomas and luongo tho. but we really won't know til after the playoffs. i do know we aint going into next season with the same team.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:04 PM
domestique

From a coaching stand point Bryz needs to go and his cap hit could be used for other players.

From a front office stand point Bryz will no be bought out becuase they will be losing a LOT of money that is still due.

At this point I see it being 50/50. If the Flyers need the cap space and they get a UFA goalie signed then Bryz is out the door. If nothing develops, cap space isn't needed.... then Bryz stays and we are looking at a top 10 draft pick for 2014.

domestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I don't understand why people keep calling for Bryz to be out this offseason when the player that should be out, and has been discussed on here to be out, is Briere. We can only amnesty one guy per offseason over the next 2. I see Bryz as being more valuable with his 5+ cap hit for this coming season than I see Briere with his 6+ cap hit.

It's a pretty simple choice IMO. If you can only drop one salary you drop the higher one, especially when the other player can still be used and possibly even play well splitting time. SO many intangibles as to why I'd keep Bryz this year over Briere.

Now watch, neither will be bought out...

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I don't understand why people keep calling for Bryz to be out this offseason when the player that should be out, and has been discussed on here to be out, is Briere. We can only amnesty one guy per offseason over the next 2. I see Bryz as being more valuable with his 5+ cap hit for this coming season than I see Briere with his 6+ cap hit.

It's a pretty simple choice IMO. If you can only drop one salary you drop the higher one, especially when the other player can still be used and possibly even play well splitting time. SO many intangibles as to why I'd keep Bryz this year over Briere.

Now watch, neither will be bought out...
Uhm no you can buy both players out at the same time.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:11 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Uhm no you can buy both players out at the same time.
I don't think you can. I thought I read somewhere that you're allowed 2 total, but can only do 1 per off-season

I could be wrong though

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:13 PM
markzab

Are you sure? COuld have sworn it's been mentioned a few times on here that you can only do one. I'm not an expert, but could have sworn I'd seen you guys talking about that before.

And in any case, even if you can buy out both, that's a ****-ton of money. I'd still rather see the club knock Briere out first. I still see a use for Bryz. Mason changed the dynamic a bit and Briere being bought out would give us a nice chunk of space to replace him and then some.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Briere in the pressbox or getting very limited minutes is less detrimental than Sievegalov letting in bad goals all the time. Then he can at least be replaced with someone better. Buyout Briere, and you still have the problem of Bryzgalov. A bad skater has less effect than a bad goalie.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't think you can. I thought I read somewhere that you're allowed 2 total, but can only do 1 per off-season

I could be wrong though
New York bought out Redden at the beginning of the year and now the media's talking about potentially buying out Richards this summer. I'm not sure they would be talking about it if it wasn't possible.

I honestly believe this question was brought up before on here and someone dug up some rules on it saying it was allowed to.

Old
05-22-2013, 11:20 PM
markzab

Ultimately I'd want them both bought out. I'd get Briere's cap opened up this offseason and see how things go with Mason and Bryz in net. I firmly believe that the two will push eachother and we can see good things from that. If Mason performs like we all hope he will, then we buy out Bryz next offseason and open another 5+m.

If Mason doesn't perform well, then we still buy out Bryz and try to land a goalie somehow.

The real question here is; if Bryz plays lights out hockey this year with a decent backup in Mason and more rest in between games...do we still buy him out at next seasons end?

Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
markzab

Quote:
New York bought out Redden at the beginning of the year and now the media's talking about potentially buying out Richards this summer. I'm not sure they would be talking about it if it wasn't possible.

I honestly believe this question was brought up before on here and someone dug up some rules on it saying it was allowed to.
Looks like you're right. I mean it's just an article, but...

Quote:
The time off has allowed the reality of an “amnesty” buyout to sink in, something that is a strong possibility this summer when the Flyers will have the ability to strike two contracts off the books as the salary cap sinks.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...s-Reality.html

Old
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:

I don't know hte specific rules. I think the bought out Redden using an emergency buyout. I think they had to put him on waivers first. I have no idea if that's still an option.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:27 PM
domestique

Unless someone can list a link stating otherwise:

You can use BOTH buyouts at before the end of 2014. The "one buyout a year" was for this year where teams could only buyout one player at the start of 2012-2013 but the salary cap still counted. i.e. Scott Gomez, Wade Redden.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

BUYOUTS

During the ordinary course buyout periods in June 2013 and June 2014, teams will be permitted two compliance buyouts. Compliance buyouts follow the same formula as ordinary-course buyouts — either 1/3 or 2/3 of actual salary depending on age — but do not count against the cap.

The NHL allowed teams to execute one of their two compliance buyout options prior to the 2012-13 season on players with cap hits of more than $3 million. Two teams exercised the option: the Montreal Canadiens on Scott Gomez and the New York Rangers on Wade Redden. The players received full pay and counted at their full cap hit for 2012-13, after which the compliance buyout payments kick in.

For one season following a compliance buyout, the player is prohibited from rejoining the team that bought him out.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650548

The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association on Tuesday agreed on a change in compliance buyout rules, allowing teams to buy out player contracts prior to Saturday.

In the new Collective Bargaining Agreement agreed to recently by the NHL and the NHLPA, clubs were permitted two "compliance" buyouts to take place during the 2013 and/or 2014 offseasons in order to ease the transition to a lower salary cap.

The new agreement allows teams to use one of those compliance buyouts prior to the start of this season. However, the player's full salary for the 2012-13 season still would count against the team's cap.

Players that are bought out will become unrestricted free agents, eligible to sign with any team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, you can buyout 2 players before the end of the 2014 offseason.

You could only buy out 1 player before the start of 2012-2013 season.

domestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:04 AM
BernieParent

Remember, too, that the NHL accelerated the process when Montreal and NY told Gomez and Redden, respectively, to go home and wait for paycheques in the mail all season. IIRC, it was the union who requested that these players get a chance to play elsewhere rather than gather dust at home.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:45 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
@howardeskin 6m
Finally got a definite answer ..will #flyers G Ilya Bryzgalov be back with Flyers. Pres peter Luukko told me today..YES !
Until he is not. The GM job changes every minute.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:00 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

yes....they bought out Redden LAST summer. They can buy someone else out this summer....

but like I said, I'm not sure if that's a rule

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

If Bryz is back as the #1 for the start of the season my head may explode.

I have no problem with him earning the role, but he better not be given it.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

best start bracing up that skull..

if Bryz is here for training camp you can be sure he gets the net for the first game on.

until he falls on his face yet again.. of course..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

This is from the Summary of Terms negotiated for the new CBA (page 2, clause 6):

Quote:
During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season, in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the
Player.
You can use 2 buyouts during either buyout period; you are not restricted to one per year. An extra period was granted prior to the 2013 season to prevent players from sitting out the entire season because their team was going to buy them out in the summer (Gomez & Redden).

05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

if hes back hes the starter. they wont pay him that kind of money to be the backup. it will be his job to lose.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:40 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if hes back hes the starter. they wont pay him that kind of money to be the backup. it will be his job to lose.
Agree. However, the difference with next season and this one is that he could well lose it. Carrying Leighton and Boucher guaranteed that Bryzgalov would remain #1 through the season.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Agree. However, the difference with next season and this one is that he could well lose it. Carrying Leighton and Boucher guaranteed that Bryzgalov would remain #1 through the season.
yup and all that will guarantee is that next season will be another ****ing circus/distraction/cluster**** situation in goal.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote