HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 03:56 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
The best thing about this is it might tempt Tampa into drafting him at #3, dropping Drouin to us.

I like Barkov, but we're slowing building him up to some sort of hybrid between Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky around here. The guy has some potential, but if there's a concern, it's his offensive game. We might be drafting a bigger Mike Fisher.

Drouin would be exactly what this franchise needs from an offensive standpoint.
Barkov has 'elite' offensive skills. This kid has just absolutely killed it in Finland as a 17 year old. His stats hold him in very high rankings with past players from that league who have mostly all gone on to be high impact NHLers. This kid will be way better than mike fisher IMO.

The shoulder is also nothing to worry about, the kid will be all healed up. I really think we need to draft barkov if he is available. Unless somehow Mack falls.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:00 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
You can tell we love drouin and mackinnon. Check out that article on NP.com - glowing. I think Barkov is next for us, but if Poile feels like Nich or Lindholm could be available at 8, and the drop off isn't huge, he may trade the pick to the sabres IMO. Honestly, I didn't expect to have a 1st round pick, much less fourth overall. I'm excited to see what this franchise does. Poile doesn't win a lot of trades, but he rarely makes poor decisions.

Vokoun, Timonen, Ronning all acquired for NOTHING

Sully for two 2nds

the Dunham trade

Getting a first round pick and SK for the rights to UFAs we were never going to sign anyway

Getting three picks (2 seconds and a third) for Lindback

Forsberg for a bust(Parent), a journeyman(Upshall) a 3rd and a pick we ended up getting back

thats a lot of wins in my opinion.. yeah he has some stinkers too but Id say on balance he gets the better end of the deal more often than not

Old
05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Vokoun, Timonen, Ronning all acquired for NOTHING

Sully for two 2nds

the Dunham trade

Getting a first round pick and SK for the rights to UFAs we were never going to sign anyway

Getting three picks (2 seconds and a third) for Lindback

Forsberg for a bust(Parent), a journeyman(Upshall) a 3rd and a pick we ended up getting back

thats a lot of wins in my opinion.. yeah he has some stinkers too but Id say on balance he gets the better end of the deal more often than not
Yeah ... this was the complete trade ... Scott Hartnell along with Kimmo Timonen were traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a first-round pick previously acquired from Nashville for Peter Forsberg... and agree with the Erat for Filip Forsberg trade

Old
05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I won't call it an outright win yet, but that Erat for FF trade is looking real nice so far as well.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Barkov has 'elite' offensive skills. This kid has just absolutely killed it in Finland as a 17 year old. His stats hold him in very high rankings with past players from that league who have mostly all gone on to be high impact NHLers. This kid will be way better than mike fisher IMO.

The shoulder is also nothing to worry about, the kid will be all healed up. I really think we need to draft barkov if he is available. Unless somehow Mack falls.
The player below was also great at the wjc tourney, here's one of his scouting reports

Quote:
He's a big fast winger, his main weapon is
his shot. It is fast, accurate, decpetive and quick. He's got loads of
potential but as his stats tell you, he has yet to reach it.
Another plus he has going for him is his defensive play.
Jani Rita never made in the NHL though.

I don't think Barkov will be the next Rita, just saying it can happen, it does happen and it will happen again.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Looking through the drafts, not many franchise players are picked with the 4th pick.
Yzerman. McDonald. A few others were mentioned. Don't fret. We're getting a good player at four.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:29 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Looking through the drafts, not many franchise players are picked with the 4th pick.
Evander Kane...

Old
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
maplepred

This is also an exceptionally very high end talent draft. Guys like drouin, Mack, barks and nichushkin could all go first in most drafts.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:35 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I see MacK being there if Nich is picked by TBL. Highly skilled #1 center or Big skilled two way center?
I don't. McK is second off the board to Florida, almost guaranteed. If they want Nichushkin or Barkov, Drouin falls and we have a decision to make.

What I find interesting is that we know Poile has talked to Nichushkin's agent, we know Nichushkin has said the Preds are interested in him.... and yet he isn't discussed in the article where the Pred's top scout Jeff Kealty goes through the top 5 picks in the draft (Lindholm is instead discussed). Why?

Options include:
1. Preds aren't interested
2. Preds are VERY interested and the article is a smoke screen
3. Preds are interested but want to trade down to get him.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Yeah ... this was the complete trade ... Scott Hartnell along with Kimmo Timonen were traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a first-round pick previously acquired from Nashville for Peter Forsberg... and agree with the Erat for Filip Forsberg trade
and we also got SK for trading ellis or hamhuis rights... even if SK is done, we still got two good seasons for absolutely nothing

Old
05-22-2013, 05:36 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yzerman. McDonald. A few others were mentioned. Don't fret. We're getting a good player at four.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Evander Kane...
lol, one of these things is not like the other.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
maplepred

So what is our order of preference now for who we draft?!

My order would have to be,
1. Mackinnon
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin

But I am more than thrilled with any of them!

So if whoever drafts nichushkin he will play for then next year in the NHL rather than khl? This is fact for 100%?

Old
05-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Hagged

Quote:
The player below was also great at the wjc tourney, here's one of his scouting reports

Jani Rita never made in the NHL though.

I don't think Barkov will be the next Rita, just saying it can happen, it does happen and it will happen again.
Jani Rita had about one third of the production of Barkov in his draft year in FEL. And he was a year older. So where do you take these comparisons? It's like comparing a 30 point player to Datsyuk. Also Rita was great at the WJC tourney only at 19. We'll see how Barkov does there two years from now.

You want to find Finnish comparisons, you'll have to look at higher than Rita. Selanne and Olli Jokinen. Well Selanne wasn't playing in FEL at his draft year so he doesn't compare well. Olli Jokinen was a year older and as one dimensional as they come (and that is offense only). Well there is your closest prospect comparison. And even that is as far off Barkov as a comparison can be. But just forget Rita. Now we are looking at a player that has hit the 90 point mark twice in his career. But Jokinen was the worst player in FEL defensively, and that is no joke. While out of centers in FEL, Barkov has the most effective two-way play.

Maybe from Sweden you could find better comparisons like Sundin. But from Finland there just haven't been any draft eligible players playing at as high level as Barkov aside from Jokinen (and to lesser extent Minnesota's Granlund) offensively. Defensively, there is no under 20 year old player in FEL that has been better than Barkov except maybe Jere Lehtinen (left wing), but even he was -13 in FEL at the age of 19. It was only his 20 year old season in TPS where Lehtinen got going and the season after he was playing in Dallas. Barkov was the only forward with plus on a weak Tappara team at the age of 16 with 0.5 PPG pace from the third line. At the age of 17 he was the first line center, playing first PK unit, first PP unit. When the season ended he had the highest PPG pace, highest GPG pace, best +/-, highest SH%, most PP goals in the team.

All this is to say, it would be crazy to compare Barkov to Rita, who just barely cracked the team roster in his 17 year old season and could hold on to that roster spot.

And if somebody wants to say that in Finnish Junior A (U20) league Rita had better PPG than Barkov, I can only say, Barkov was 15 when he last played there. Barkov had 1.8 PPG in both Junior B and Junior C, while Rita had troubles putting up 1 PPG.

Rita in his over 500 games career in FEL has been playing with 0.47PPG. At Barkov's age Rita had played 41 games with 0.12PPG. Barkov has played around 100 games in FEL with 0.75PPG and played almost half of his games at age of 16.

I forgot to breathe while writing this. The bottom line is don't bring up Rita even in a sentence "not saying Barkov is the next Rita, but these things happen". These things never happened with Rita, they weren't happening for Rita in FEL even when he is was in his prime. Prime Rita is worse than a 16-year-old Barkov. That just isn't close. Rita at 16 was putting up similar stats in Junior A as Barkov was putting in FEL. Rita played good in WJC at age of 19, so Barkov will have two years of NHL under his belt when he will try to put more than 9 points in 7 games in WJC. Where the **** did this Rita comparison come from anyway. God no.

EDIT: I got Rita's draft year wrong. So his draft year was even more unimpressive than what I thought (one third of Barkov's production when in reality it was more like 10 percent of Barkov's production). Quote from the prospect board from a poster more familiar with Rita:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
No they are nothing alike. Rita was able to play in sm-liiga because of his speed, impressive physique and two-way game. He didn't even have dominate numbers(22 points in 20 games in his draft year) in juniors and he only scored 5 points in 49 games in his draft season in sm-liiga. This should have been a warning sign regarding his offensive potential. Rita's game from juniors where he was able to dominate physically never really translated well to pro game.

Last edited by Hagged: 05-23-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old
05-23-2013, 01:58 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
So what is our order of preference now for who we draft?!

My order would have to be,
1. Mackinnon
2. Barkov
3. Drouin
4. Nichushkin

But I am more than thrilled with any of them!

So if whoever drafts nichushkin he will play for then next year in the NHL rather than khl? This is fact for 100%?
This. Exactly this.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:52 AM
braindead

McK
Drouin
Barkov
Trade down
Lindholm
Nichushkin

Old
05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
This. Exactly this.
I'm torn between Barkov vs. Drouin but yeah

Old
05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
McK
Drouin
Barkov
Trade down
Lindholm
Nichushkin
In order to get to your #4 option, that would mean that Seth Jones is sitting there at #4.

At that point, don't you have to take him? Odds are, no matter what you trade down to, you're getting a far inferior player than Jones.

And if you're trying to trade down for a player and a pick, as good as Jones is, you're not going to get that young superstar forward we're looking for plus a high pick.

Might be better off letting the kid grow as a Pred and then using him as trade bait later on.

Either way, we are in a great position. If i'm Carolina, I'm kicking myself, stuck at #5 in a 4-elite player draft.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:38 AM
PFL615

Barkov over Drouin with the Preds system. He seems to fit the best out of the two.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
maplepred

Quote:
In order to get to your #4 option, that would mean that Seth Jones is sitting there at #4.

At that point, don't you have to take him? Odds are, no matter what you trade down to, you're getting a far inferior player than Jones.

And if you're trying to trade down for a player and a pick, as good as Jones is, you're not going to get that young superstar forward we're looking for plus a high pick.

Might be better off letting the kid grow as a Pred and then using him as trade bait later on.

Either way, we are in a great position. If i'm Carolina, I'm kicking myself, stuck at #5 in a 4-elite player draft.
Definitely would trade down! Someone would pay us a kings ransom to get that pick and get jones, then we still draft nichushkin after. If that actually was a reality I would be ever so delighted!!

My big question though I would love an answer to guys,

Is this FACT that nichushkin will definitely come to NHL next season?! Or is it just talk and he will not 'break' his khl contract, just wants higher draft position?!?!

Old
05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Definitely would trade down! Someone would pay us a kings ransom to get that pick and get jones, then we still draft nichushkin after. If that actually was a reality I would be ever so delighted!!

My big question though I would love an answer to guys,

Is this FACT that nichushkin will definitely come to NHL next season?! Or is it just talk and he will not 'break' his khl contract, just wants higher draft position?!?!
I have seen reports on twitter where his KHL contract has been terminated.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
braindead

Quote:

Sorry I wasnt clear. If they aren't sold on Barkov or drouin at 4 (whichever is left) I'd rather the preds trade down than pick lindholm or nichuskin with the pick. In addition to the usual Russian risk, I'm worried nichuskin's game doesn't translate. He is big and strong and fast but I'm worried he won't be a prolific scorer or elite passer- the upside is there but I don't like the risk on him.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Over on the Tampa thread there is a post with some quotes from Nischukin(sp) saying Tampa and Nashville want to draft him. I'd definitely draft him if it weren't for Barkov/Drouin being there, but since they are there I don't want to take any chances.

He's got the talent, and his contract will be terminated so I guess I shouldn't be that worried, but I'd hate to see another Radulov situation. Some part of me thinks Poile is going to F this up somehow.

Anybody else's thoughts?

Old
05-23-2013, 01:43 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm
4. Nichushkin

Old
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Over on the Tampa thread there is a post with some quotes from Nischukin(sp) saying Tampa and Nashville want to draft him. I'd definitely draft him if it weren't for Barkov/Drouin being there, but since they are there I don't want to take any chances.

He's got the talent, and his contract will be terminated so I guess I Ishouldn't be that worried, but I'd hate to see another Radulov situation. Some part of me thinks Poile is going to F this up somehow.

Anybody else's thoughts?
Unless Mac is available at 4 the Preds should take Barkov. Im afraid the Preds will end up trading down in order to get a legit replacement for Erat or 2nd line D man.
If that happens i would take the Russian or Lindholm.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:39 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
1. Mackinnon
2. Jones
3. Barkov
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm