HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Top six size.

Our top six is lacking in that department, and was very evident this season that we need to get bigger. Adding beef up front without subtracting the wonder kids is pretty much a must if we want to do anything in the post season. That and our defensive prospects are in a great position with Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat, etc, in the pipeline. Our blueline needs actual NHL additions to it atm, rather than more prospects that will of course take time to be ready.
This is a bad draft for top 6 six size. It's pretty much Monahan or bust with that logic. But chances are he is there at 7.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Just curious why Edmonton Fans are dead set on getting a 2nd line center, when you guys already have gagner, when players like Nurse or Rasmus are available to build up your blue line?
Gagner is a black hole defensively and although he is willing, he really isnt able to be physical. Smallish, non-physical, poor defensively. Those are things that need to be addressed. Considering we already have a smallish C in RNH, we need someone who is bigger, more physical or both. Gagner is a one dimensional (offense) player. We need a two-way player in that spot.

Center depth is the weakest of all positions (other than Goaltending which is a close second) in the organization.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Just curious why Edmonton Fans are dead set on getting a 2nd line center, when you guys already have gagner, when players like Nurse or Rasmus are available to build up your blue line?
Because RNH and Gagner aren't ideal for your 1 and 2 C's.

Edmonton needs better balance and our defensive pipeline is way more stacked then our forward prospects.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How come he is wrong so frequently?
You want the truth?

I like you IATL but you are biased against him. You only hear what you want to. He's been right so many times and hints at things way before they come to fruition. Of course he can be wrong but that comes with the territory. Again you can think he is full of crap and not listen to anything he says.

For me, he works for the team, talks to the key people and is friends with the owner. So he has job security and access to the key people - for me personally that is enough to listen to what he has to say.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
You want the truth?

I like you IATL but you are biased against him. You only hear what you want to. He's been right so many times and hints at things way before they come to fruition. Of course he can be wrong but that comes with the territory. Again you can think he is full of crap and not listen to anything he says.

For me, he works for the team, talks to the key people and is friends with the owner. So he has job security and access to the key people - for me personally that is enough to listen to what he has to say.
Said the Oilers were going to pick Sequin for the bulk of the time leading up to the 2010 draft.

Said the Oilers were going to pick Ryan Murray and talked about how Yakupov was going to be 'bankrolled' by the Kremlin to play in the KHL.

He took time to mock my "Trade Hemsky Now" thread from 3 or 4yrs ago on his radio show. (How's that workin for ya Bob?)

The guy is a clown.

Milhouse knows more than he does.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 05-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
This is a bad draft for top 6 six size. It's pretty much Monahan or bust with that logic. But chances are he is there at 7.
Barkov is the wet dream here. Since he will be gone by the time we pick, Monahan is our consolation. (If he's there of course). Like said above me, I forgot to mention the defensive presence is something we desperately need as well. As good as Gagner is offensively, he doesn't bring much else to the table.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think you're underrating Lazar and Horvat.

They're both probably NHL quality #3Cs right now, but have the potential to be much more.
Not even close, they're lucky if they make the NHL in three years, but knowing the oilers they'll throw em in the deep end because they're first round picks. If Lindholm was playing OHL hockey he'd be a lock top 5 pick and wouldnt be surprised if he made the line-up 2014 ala Backstrom and Zibenijad who are the only two other top 10 pick swedish centers in recent drafts and waited a year before making the NHL.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Said the Oilers were going to pick Sequin for the bulk of the time leading up to the 2010 draft.

Said the Oilers were going to pick Ryan Murray and talked about how Yakupov was going to be 'bankrolled' buy the Kremlin to play in the KHL.
i think the famous quote was 'head says yakupov, gut says murray'

Old
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
He went on and on and on for months about Murray. Praising him from sun up till sun down.

He had only negative things to say (Kremlin? Really?) about Yakupov.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
The famous quote was some yap about the Kremlin and Yakupov being a communist.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:22 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uindicator View Post
Not even close, they're lucky if they make the NHL in three years, but knowing the oilers they'll throw em in the deep end because they're first round picks. If Lindholm was playing OHL hockey he'd be a lock top 5 pick and wouldnt be surprised if he made the line-up 2014 ala Backstrom and Zibenijad who are the only two other top 10 pick swedish centers in recent drafts and waited a year before making the NHL.
That is why scouts are saying Lazar and Horvat are two of the least risky players in the upcoming draft.

Thanks for coming out.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
That covers the bases well doesnt it.

I called it! He would say. Whatever happens.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
We need size in the top 6 and none of the d-men after Jones look that great. Good, but not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Bo Horvat is going to be a 2nd line center, with the potential to be 1st line(Think Mike Richards). He's goes to the dirty areas and never quits on a play. He's the type of guy you win with, and he reminds me a little bit of Hall in that respect(obviously not as talented.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think you're underrating Lazar and Horvat.

They're both probably NHL quality #3Cs right now, but have the potential to be much more.
Quote:
Isn't Horvat and Lazar's "floor" suppose to a 3C while being some of the safest picks out there? With still room to grow, whats wrong with that?

Look at how many posters who watch a lot of Lazar (and to a lesser extent Horvat on the prospects board) who are sold on him and confident he will take the next step next year while he takes over the Oil Kings, while still being one of the safest picks in the draft.

I dont think comparing a potential pick/reach of Lazar or Horvat with Moroz is right. Nobody was talking about Moroz like that last year. I think we valued Moroz being on the OK's too much and thought we could really help mold him into a Lucic type player.
Perhaps I am wrong and Lazar or Horvat will become a top 2 C. But we shouldn't be banking on that. Neither of those guys are consistently ranked in the top 10 on most draft lists. I remember way back in the day when Ryan O'Marra was the safest pick in the draft and would turn into a physical 3C bare minimum, with a really solid chance of being a 2C. Things don't always work out that way.

If the Oilers want to take Horvat or Lazar then they should trade down. Taking either of those guys at 7 is exactly the same as taking Moroz last year. Taking a player they like higher than they should.

Of course, I don't think they should trade down at all. I think they should trade up for Barkov, and failing that, take whoever falls to them out of Nichushkin, Lindholm or Monahan.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:26 PM
doubledown99

Quote:

Said the Oilers were going to pick Ryan Murray and talked about how Yakupov was going to be 'bankrolled' buy the Kremlin to play in the KHL.

He took time to mock my "Trade Hemsky Now" thread from 3 or 4yrs ago.

The guy is a clown.
Some posters have stated this before...he did say Seguin but flipped after Mem Cup. Stu even admitted that he was leaning for Seguin for most of year. Heck he said it on Oil Change.

The Yak comments I can't really defend. But if u listened o Bob after the pick and when callers called him out....he hesitated and gave a cryptic non answer. But so what - he was wrong on Yak.

He stated Howson was coming back to org way before. He basically hinted Nuge was pick. He sai Kruger for coach (and everybody was outraged at suggestion).

Right now he is basically hinting at changes in AHL (new coach)? Has said Oilers draft preference. Said a while ago that Hemsky would be gone (not in so many words but never listed him as piece of core). Has said Oil are interested in Yandle. Cleared up Bishop trade. And yesterday said S. Matthias was available in early season and Panthers beat writer agreed

Old
05-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Lindo

I'm just happy the list the have is center focused. That is a huge win by itself for me.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:36 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Perhaps I am wrong and Lazar or Horvat will become a top 2 C. But we shouldn't be banking on that. Neither of those guys are consistently ranked in the top 10 on most draft lists. I remember way back in the day when Ryan O'Marra was the safest pick in the draft and would turn into a physical 3C bare minimum, with a really solid chance of being a 2C. Things don't always work out that way.

If the Oilers want to take Horvat or Lazar then they should trade down. Taking either of those guys at 7 is exactly the same as taking Moroz last year. Taking a player they like higher than they should.

Of course, I don't think they should trade down at all. I think they should trade up for Barkov, and failing that, take whoever falls to them out of Nichushkin, Lindholm or Monahan.
I'm only talking Lazar/Horvat if Monahan isn't on the board. I don't know enough about Lindholm to say if I'd rather him over Lazar/Horvat. As for Nichushkin, I think he would be an absolutely disastrous pick, so I don't even consider him.

I don't see any point trading down if Monahan isn't on the board. Take the player you want. Don't trade down two or three spots, get a 3rd rounder in return and pray your player is still on the board.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
We need size in the top 6 and none of the d-men after Jones look that great. Good, but not great.

100% agree with this. I highly doubt Monahan goes past Calgary, but with Feaster in charge anything could happen there. Odds are it'll be between Nichushkin and Lindholm at 7, and I'd be good with either.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:

Said the Oilers were going to pick Ryan Murray and talked about how Yakupov was going to be 'bankrolled' by the Kremlin to play in the KHL.

He took time to mock my "Trade Hemsky Now" thread from 3 or 4yrs ago on his radio show. (How's that workin for ya Bob?)

The guy is a clown.

Milhouse knows more than he does.
I think you are under the presumption he always tells us the truth, I don't think that is the case he is a mouth piece for the organization and floating out trial balloons to the public as well as a little mis-direction when the organization wants it is part of the job. With Tambellini being as secretive as he was I'm thinking he was being fed info from a little lower down the pecking order, I remember listening to Stu MacGregor on the Seguin/ Hall debate and he was leaning towards Seguin for the majority of the way, but changed to Hall in the playoffs. With the Yakupov selection I don't think anyone other than Tambellini and probably Katz knew who we were picking until the day of the draft, he mentioned he compiled the results of the scouting and didn't let the scouts know what the final decision was.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Seachd

Quote:
That covers the bases well doesnt it.

I called it! He would say. Whatever happens.
Why do you care so much? He never passed it off as fact, it was always obviously his opinion.

Why does that make you mad, and how does that affect his credibility? Unless you were under the impression that the Oilers aren't as quiet about their draft intentions as they clearly are?

Old
05-23-2013, 01:08 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

If IATL's comments on Stauffer are on point then the next thing I expect BS to put out there is "Lazar at #7 is how the Oilers are leaning"

Old
05-23-2013, 01:16 PM
DousedInOil

Lindholm pretty much does everything Lazar and Horvat does... Just better. If we pass on him I'll be pissed.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:31 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

For anyone who gets to see Lazar often, does he have what it takes to become the 2c that we need, and would you be okay with picking him at #7?

Old
05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

It's not really comparable at all, there will be guys going in the late teens that would be top ten picks in a weaker draft. After watching a few of the players play I can see why scouts are calling it one of the deepest drafts in the last 10 years and why theres not really a consensus after the top 6 picks. Would be a great year to have two 1st's in the top 20 IMO.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
100% agree with this. I highly doubt Monahan goes past Calgary, but with Feaster in charge anything could happen there. Odds are it'll be between Nichushkin and Lindholm at 7, and I'd be good with either.
For some reason I could see Feaster going after Horvat at 6. Dunno why just a gut feeling. Leaves us with Monahan.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Lindholm pretty much does everything Lazar and Horvat does... Just better. If we pass on him I'll be pissed.
This is my impression as well. I'd take Monahan first, but if Lindholm is there, I think you take him. Lazar and Horvat will be useful NHLers but I don't think the ceiling is quite as high. I see Horvat as a Brandon Dubinsky type player. And Lazar maybe Mike Peca -ish. Both good and useful players but not top-end enough for #7.

Closed Thread