HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Wasting talent in CHL, evidence

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 04:47 AM
Peter25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Don't know much but he supposedly is really talented and he left at age of 13-14. Went high in OHL draft as well.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183258
I suppose it is possible then but they would be exceptions nonetheless. Most Russian juniors leaving for the NA are 16 or 17 year olds. Most of them would not leave at 13 in any case. At 13 they are just kids.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:23 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
What is his story?
I posted about him here a few times. A superbly talented (for his age) CSKA player pryed away by bandits at an early age. they keep pushing for Kashtanov too, another starlet and his ex-linemate.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:33 AM
cska78

Russia's problems in hockey is the same is the whole country: utter corruption at every level. The richer parents have their kids playing major minutes, while the kids are less talented. A young player to be on the junior club's roster has to pay a set amount of kickback. Coaches of adult teams are reluctantly giving minutes to junior players, because club owners/sponsors demand the best result possible here, now, today and yesterday. National junior team spots are often for sale, there's a plehotra of corrupt convenient junior coaches who will work with that, Rumyantsev, Plyushev are the most prominent.
Things like that, blown up and exaggerated by yet corrupt agents, who have no interest in the kid, only as a source of income today cause major migration of talent overseas.
Where in turn, they basically learn the game of hockey a new, adopt to absolutely non-Russian north-south NA style of game, have to adopt another style of life, foreign language, lack of friends and family. All these results in about a year lost in development, plus the development takes the whole other direction. True stars may survive that, yet we don't know whether say Yakupov or Grigorenko (I am sure not him) have or will rich their hypothetical ceiling, as the players who in their potential could have been solid KHL players for a decade they take a major hit in their development, end up being on the outskirts of hockey, loosing years of development being shuffled between clubs/countries.

Both paths have negatives and positives, but my opinion is - stay home till 22-23, become what you can best be in the KHL, go and sign a deal in the NHL if you so wish. Kuznetsov did it, Tarasenko did it, they both were and are wanted still.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:37 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
CSKA, you'd have a point if you didn't fall into the perpetual trap of hyperbole.

Going to NA isn't bad for all. Statistically bad historically, but we don't need this endless wall of "98 kid going to NA, career ruined!!!!!". It is useless, worthless and ridiculous hyperbole to make a point that has been made a 1000 times. It happens, so deal with it.
I am sorry, but it's bs, as the more you talk of the problem, the more it's noticed.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:40 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Yep, and as you said at the end, real talented players get the chance in KHL - corruption is not a factor here. Yes, it can be in cases of less talented players.

I bet Bryukvin is coming back. So, why the hell did he move?

Old
05-15-2013, 06:53 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
I suppose it is possible then but they would be exceptions nonetheless. Most Russian juniors leaving for the NA are 16 or 17 year olds. Most of them would not leave at 13 in any case. At 13 they are just kids.
Well if the clubs will try to tie them down to long term commitments at the age of 14, they again will leave earlier. And then exceptions will become a common theme.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:57 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post

I bet Bryukvin is coming back. So, why the hell did he move?
Because he thought that he is better than he really is and that he could cut just about everywhere? Hopefully this will help him in a long term, and he now understands that he still needs to work a lot.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Peter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Well if the clubs will try to tie them down to long term commitments at the age of 14, they again will leave earlier. And then exceptions will become a common theme.
I doubt this would happen. Leaving at 13 is a far more difficult thing to do than leaving at 16 or 17. Most 13 year olds are too emotionally involved to their parents and home surroundings to leave.

Old
05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Raptor1990

Wasted talents

Hello, i want to ask whats up with Nikita Filatov ? Did he left hockey ? No actual news about him.
Or Kiril Kabanov.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:09 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1990 View Post
Hello, i want to ask whats up with Nikita Filatov ? Did he left hockey ? No actual news about him.
Or Kiril Kabanov.
please, Filatov played the whole season in the KHL, looks slightly above average, got a call up to one of the Eurochallenger games.
Kabanov - on the other hand started the season in the AHL, what happened next - idk, injury or/and fall out with the coach?

Old
05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
yunost

Kabanov is doing alright. He won the Memorial Cup of the CHL, and made the AHL. Gaining a bit of weight/muscle. He has had an injury setback this year but played a solid 30+ games still.

Same problems from before affecting him though. Somewhat of a cherrypicker and has bad punctuality(comes late, etc...)

Way below the top-5 NHL ready expectations, but to say that he is a waste is incorrect.

I don't think he regrets anything. He's had a hell of a trip in North America sofar. Even if it is at the expense of playing solid Spartak minutes and a KHL salary.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:39 PM
VladNYC

Filatov had a good year in the KHL. Seems to be finally recovering from his disastrous move to North America

Closed Thread