HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Unsigned prospects to re-enter the 2013 NHL Draft

Old
05-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Felix Perreault

vCash: 500
Unsigned prospects to re-enter the 2013 NHL Draft

Help me to find all the players that can re-enter the draft in june if they are not sign.

Boston:

Lars Volden (G)

Buffalo:

Alex Lepkowski (D)

Carolina:

Gregory Hofmann (F)
Matt Mahalak (G)

Chicago:

Johan Mattsson (G)

Colorado:

Joachim Nermark (F)
Dillon Donnelly (D)

Detroit:

Alan Quine (F)

Edmonton:

Samu Perhonen (G)

Florida:

Liro Pakarinen (F)
Rasmus Bengtsson (D)

Los Angeles:

Michael Schumacher (F)
Christopher Gibson (G)

Montreal:

Olivier Archambault (F)
Daniel Pribyl (F)

Nashville:

Brent Andrews (F)
Simon Karlsson (D)

New York Islanders:

Mitchell Theoret (F)
Brenden Kichton (D)

New York Rangers:

Shane McColgan (F)
Peter Ceresnak (D)

Ottawa:

Jordan Fransoo (D)

Philadelphia:

Colin Suellentrop (D)

Phoenix:

Alexander Ruuttu (F)
Andrew Fritsch (F)

San Jose:

Justin Sefton (D)

St-Louis:

Teemu Eronen (D)

Vancouver:

Pathrik Westerholm (F)
David Honzik (G)

Washington:

Steffen Soberg (G)

Winnipeg:

Zach Yuen (D)

Last edited by Felix Perreault: 06-03-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Felix Perreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
dnicks17

It's looking like the Oilers 3rd round pick, Samu Perhonen, might end up going unsigned.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I remember being a fan of Perhonen heading into that draft, what happened with him? Did he simply not progress, or does he not intend to sign in Edmonton?

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

As of right now, Winnipeg prospects D Zach Yuen and RW Austen Brassard remain unsigned. Yuen has been a nice find, I (and most Jets fans) would not be real happy if he is left unsigned. 9 days left.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
As of right now, Canes prospects RW Gregory Hofmann (4th round 2011) and G Matt Mahalak (6th round 2011) remain unsigned and will re-enter the draft.

Hofmann is quite surprising as he was playing quite well in the Swiss league this past year. But Hurricanes brass has indicated that he will remain on the teams radar even if unsigned.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:49 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Alan Quine from the Wings is still unsigned. He's a great skater & has bottom 6 upside. I think the Wings picked him 85th overall, I think he'd go anywhere from the late 2nd to the late 3rd in this year's draft.

I also forgot about Philippe Hudon. He was the Wings 5th rounder in 2011 (145th) and he's not going to be signed. He had an okay playoffs, I could see him possibly getting an AHL deal.

Last edited by DatsyukToZetterberg: 05-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.
DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Are these prospects allowed to sign elsewhere after those 9 days are up (a la Justin Schultz)? Or do they have to go back into the draft?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Jordan Fransoo (7th round pick of the Senators in 2011) might re-enter the draft, I doubt he would get drafted, but in my opinion could be an excellent AHLer after his stint in the WHL.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
Are these prospects allowed to sign elsewhere after those 9 days are up (a la Justin Schultz)? Or do they have to go back into the draft?
Depends on their age. Unless things got tweaked in this CBA, I think the draft eligibility range for this draft would be (correct me if I'm wrong):

North Americans: 1993 born or after go back into the Draft, 1992 born or before become free agents.

Europeans: 1992 born or after go back into the Draft, 1991 born or before become free agents.

(Gets a little dicey if it's a European who played in North America. I believe the CBA language said something like "trained in North America" but I wasn't never quite sure what if it was somebody drafted out of a European league but then came over to play in the CHL.)

Ie, you had guys like Troy Rutkowski and Petr Straka who were both drafted in 2010 and born in 1992. They were unsigned by their original teams and went back into the 2012 draft but were unselected. Then they both signed as free agents during afterwards.

Although now I'm looking at Frederik Andersen who re-entered the 2012 Draft as a late '89 birthdate and was drafted by Anaheim.

Now I have a headache. Maybe kdb209 can come to the rescue.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Felix Perreault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Depends on their age. Unless things got tweaked in this CBA, I think the draft eligibility range for this draft would be (correct me if I'm wrong):

North Americans: 1993 born or after go back into the Draft, 1992 born or before become free agents.

Europeans: 1992 born or after go back into the Draft, 1991 born or before become free agents.

(Gets a little dicey if it's a European who played in North America. I believe the CBA language said something like "trained in North America" but I wasn't never quite sure what if it was somebody drafted out of a European league but then came over to play in the CHL.)

Ie, you had guys like Troy Rutkowski and Petr Straka who were both drafted in 2010 and born in 1992. They were unsigned by their original teams and went back into the 2012 draft but were unselected. Then they both signed as free agents during afterwards.

Although now I'm looking at Frederik Andersen who re-entered the 2012 Draft as a late '89 birthdate and was drafted by Anaheim.

Now I have a headache. Maybe kdb209 can come to the rescue.
It's not the same thing for CHL players and American players, you have like 4 or 5 years to sign USA players. The rules are not so clear... I think american don't re-enter the draft and they are directly UFA (a la Justin Schultz)

Old
05-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Nashville prospect Brent Andrews (QMJHL - Halifax) is currently unsigned, he'll re-enter.
As will Colorado prospect Dillon Donnelly (QMJHL - Quebec) and Rangers prospect Samuel Noreau (QMJHL - Baie-Comeau).

Of a bit more prominence are two goalies: David Honzik, a Vancouver prospect (QMJHL - Cape Breton) and Chris Gibson, a Los Angeles prospect (QMJHL - Chicoutimi) who will both re-enter as well.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 05-23-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil11 View Post
It's not the same thing for CHL players and American players, you have like 4 or 5 years to sign USA players. The rules are not so clear... I think american don't re-enter the draft and they are directly UFA (a la Justin Schultz)
It depends on when a player comes out of college if I remember correctly. Schulz would have left a couple weeks earlier (before a certain cutoff) he would have been required to go into the draft.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
As I said above, Chris Gibson would be a free agent if he is not signed. He will not re-enter the draft. He is a late 1992.
No point in signing now IMO. He'll have his choice of any team soon, why limit yourself.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:59 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I remember being a fan of Perhonen heading into that draft, what happened with him? Did he simply not progress, or does he not intend to sign in Edmonton?
Just hasn't progressed.

Hasn't played many games since being drafted and hasn't really deserved to.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
No point in signing now IMO. He'll have his choice of any team soon, why limit yourself.
Choice of team?
I think you're overestimating the negotiating leverage of an unsigned prospect. The difference between signing now and waiting is an NHL contract or the chance at not having one.
Sure, Gibson is a solid prospect, but I don't feel like there will be teams lining up to chase after him.

EDIT: Ignore this, Gibson will re-enter if he is not signed.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 05-23-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Faryn

Samu Perhonen (G) should still be Edmonton's property according to this tidbit (CBA Summary of Terms: Article 8 #2):

Exclusive Negotiating Rights:

NHL Clubs who draft European Players age 18 or 19 shall obtain four (4) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. NHL Clubs who draft European Players age 20 or older shall obtain two (2) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. If the four-year or two-year (as appropriate) period expires, Player will be eligible to enter the League as a Free Agent and will not be subject to re-entering the Draft.

Should have two more years and then he becomes a free agent never re-entering the NHL draft.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Koffein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
Samu Perhonen (G) should still be Edmonton's property according to this tidbit (CBA Summary of Terms: Article 8 #2):

Exclusive Negotiating Rights:

NHL Clubs who draft European Players age 18 or 19 shall obtain four (4) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. NHL Clubs who draft European Players age 20 or older shall obtain two (2) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. If the four-year or two-year (as appropriate) period expires, Player will be eligible to enter the League as a Free Agent and will not be subject to re-entering the Draft.

Should have two more years and then he becomes a free agent never re-entering the NHL draft.
I'm not sure if the new CBA applies to players drafted under the old one this time, but my guess would be that rule will only affect 2013 draftees and forward, while the 2-year window is still in effect for all previous drafts. But please correct me if the new CBA actually affect the previous draftees this time, I could be wrong.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Felix Perreault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
As I said above, Chris Gibson would be a free agent if he is not signed. He will not re-enter the draft. He is a late 1992.
So same for Brenden Kichton ?..

Old
05-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Felix Perreault

"Eligible Players

Players who turn 18 by September 15 and are not older than 20 by December 31 are eligible for selection. In addition, non-North American players over the age of 20 are eligible.

A North American player who is not drafted by the age of 20 is an unrestricted free agent. All non-North Americans must be drafted before being signed, regardless of age.

Re-entering the Draft

A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents.

NCAA players are an exception: NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college.

A team that does not sign a first-round draft pick is awarded a compensatory pick in a future draft upon losing the rights to that player.

A player who has been drafted a second time cannot re-enter."

Old
05-23-2013, 12:10 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil11 View Post
So same for Brenden Kichton ?..
I have no idea how that works. We drafted Kichton in his second year of eligibility(ie as a 19 year old) and they now say he will re-enter the draft if we don't sign him even though he just finished up an overage season.

As an Islanders fan I hope we can at least trade him for a 6th or 7th rounder(i think he is pissed we didn't send him to the AHL and won't sign with us now)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:35 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Alan Quine from the Wings is still unsigned. He's a great skater & has bottom 6 upside. I think the Wings picked him 85th overall, I think he'd go anywhere from the late 2nd to the late 3rd in this year's draft.

I also forgot about Philippe Hudon. He was the Wings 5th rounder in 2011 (145th) and he's not going to be signed. He had an okay playoffs, I could see him possibly getting an AHL deal.
Really surprised Quine isn't signed, not sure what the deal is there, he seems worth a contract.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:26 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Really surprised Quine isn't signed, not sure what the deal is there, he seems worth a contract.
I would have rather given him a contract over Nedomlel. I think he has the potential to be a middle 6 guy for someone, if not his speed should get him to the 4th line of some team. I think it may be that he doesn't want to sign with the Wings. With all of the talent moving on to the AHL/ECHL he may get lost in the shuffle & maybe he feels he won't be able to get enough ice time to properly develop. He has done enough to get drafted again, I think he could go anywhere in the late 2nd to the early 4th.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:38 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Seems unlikely that the Habs will sign Olivier Archambault. I haven't heard anything about Pribyl one way or another yet.

Last edited by hototogisu: 05-23-2013 at 02:02 PM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I have no idea how that works. We drafted Kichton in his second year of eligibility(ie as a 19 year old) and they now say he will re-enter the draft if we don't sign him even though he just finished up an overage season.

As an Islanders fan I hope we can at least trade him for a 6th or 7th rounder(i think he is pissed we didn't send him to the AHL and won't sign with us now)
https://twitter.com/B_Kichton8/statu...60820369129472

According to Kichton (via his agent), he goes back to the draft because he was drafted in '11.

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
PantherStriker

vCash: 50
Philadelphia Flyers 3rd rounder Colin Suellentrop will be put back into the draft. A shame really. He was great with the Gens this season

PantherStriker is offline   Reply With Quote