HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where to play for a 23 year old

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  #26
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
I am def in need of more training in all aspects of hockey. I know my age and my experience is not ideal and many may not take me serious. What some will take serious is my attitude and emotion for the game. My hard work and from there anything is possible.

if the best i can do now is adult league at its highest competitive form. Tenn so be it. At least I tried

So besides ECHL, AHL, NCAA, Europe. Anyone know of anything else?

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 02:24 PM
  #27
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Love all the realists in this thread. What does he have to lose? Bracken Kearns waited till he was 31 before he got into an NHL game.

Someone mentioned trying to find a senior league which would not be a bad idea. A buddy played in one in Wisconsin. Its essentially adult league thats obviously faster, has hitting, and draws a decent crowd. The key is that youd be able to practice regularly. If you did decently enough there you could try and squeeze your way onto an up and coming semi pro league, im not sure if the aahl is still around? There are other semi pro leagues like th CHL, SPHL, etc. All below the ECHL but even to get a few games in any one of those leagues would be a great accomplishment and who knows where it can lead?

Best of luck
Bracken Kearns also played Junior B, CIS, ECHL, and AHL hockey. To pretend like he was some schmo that made it to the bigs is insulting to the lifetime of work that he's put in to get there.

Anyway, OP, you basically already knew what you need to do before you made this thread. Go to some tryouts. If you make a team, then that's great. If you don't, then go to another one. You have no resume or pedigree - sitting on the internet and arguing with people that your high school is a good pro hockey feeder program isn't going to help your cause other than to reinforce your own internal arguments about the issue. If you think you're good enough, then you think you're good enough.

RobertKron is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
  #28
McDugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Two things.

While I understand your frustration at not getting the answers you want, the thing about posting on a public forum is, you don't get to control the response. Consider that people aren't able to give you an answer that suits what you want to hear because you're so far off of a typical hockey-career path that there isn't a right answer. That doesn't mean you can't make a way, but you're going to have to make it - maybe it doesn't already exist.

Second, also consider that the reason people are saying that your past experience at certain levels is not a reflection on your skills or abilities. Being "good enough" in a skills sense is only part of the equation. If you haven't played organized competitive hockey at a certain level, even with all the skills in the world, it will be hard to adjust. I say this not as someone who has played competitive hockey of any kind but simply as a human being - this is a concept that applies across the board to all aspects of life.

It's the same reason that a really really smart guy graduates from, say, business school with an M.B.A. and can have all the business acumen and leadership qualities in the world, but isn't going to step right into the role of C.E.O. for a large multi-national corporation. The simple wisdom that comes with doing something over time counts for more than you're giving it credit for.

McDugan is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 02:32 PM
  #29
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
So besides ECHL, AHL, NCAA, Europe. Anyone know of anything else?
Probably the other leagues that people have mentioned in this thread would be a good place to start.

RobertKron is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
  #30
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Perhaps you should go to grad school and kick the can around for a year in the ACHA if you have any eligibility left. Should satisfy the competitive urge you are looking for.

Also, google Mike Sellitto. He played ACHA D2 at FGCU, which is a good program, and actually had a highlight video made of his hits and hustle plays. He sent it onto some teams and actually got an AHL tryout with Bridgeport and assigned to the FHL and spent some time in the SPHL and ECHL.

So it's not entirely impossible, just not likely. But the advice above to stop asking people and just try out is probably about as good as you'll get.

Maupin Fan is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 03:16 PM
  #31
Plebeian
Play Your Game
 
Plebeian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
Two things.

While I understand your frustration at not getting the answers you want, the thing about posting on a public forum is, you don't get to control the response. Consider that people aren't able to give you an answer that suits what you want to hear because you're so far off of a typical hockey-career path that there isn't a right answer. That doesn't mean you can't make a way, but you're going to have to make it - maybe it doesn't already exist.

Second, also consider that the reason people are saying that your past experience at certain levels is not a reflection on your skills or abilities. Being "good enough" in a skills sense is only part of the equation. If you haven't played organized competitive hockey at a certain level, even with all the skills in the world, it will be hard to adjust. I say this not as someone who has played competitive hockey of any kind but simply as a human being - this is a concept that applies across the board to all aspects of life.

It's the same reason that a really really smart guy graduates from, say, business school with an M.B.A. and can have all the business acumen and leadership qualities in the world, but isn't going to step right into the role of C.E.O. for a large multi-national corporation. The simple wisdom that comes with doing something over time counts for more than you're giving it credit for.
This cannot be overstated. Until you find a team it wouldn't even be a bad idea to find yourself a Div. 1 adult leauge. The ones around here are usually filled with ex Junior+ players and it's actually a very high quality league.

Plebeian is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 03:38 PM
  #32
Jisatsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
This cannot be overstated. Until you find a team it wouldn't even be a bad idea to find yourself a Div. 1 adult leauge. The ones around here are usually filled with ex Junior+ players and it's actually a very high quality league.
This, especially in the summer when some jr guys or minor league guys are playing in a local men's A/div1 team. Get your name out there, get contacts, have someone video your games and make a high light reel, send it to teams, hope and pray for a try out. Attend training camps if available, and get as much on ice experience as possible. If you don't know where to be at the right time, that 100mph slap shot is worthless.

Jisatsu is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  #33
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
Bracken Kearns also played Junior B, CIS, ECHL, and AHL hockey. To pretend like he was some schmo that made it to the bigs is insulting to the lifetime of work that he's put in to get there.

Anyway, OP, you basically already knew what you need to do before you made this thread. Go to some tryouts. If you make a team, then that's great. If you don't, then go to another one. You have no resume or pedigree - sitting on the internet and arguing with people that your high school is a good pro hockey feeder program isn't going to help your cause other than to reinforce your own internal arguments about the issue. If you think you're good enough, then you think you're good enough.
I agree with you on Kearns. Yet theres plenty of others who have done far more impossible tasks in the world of sports.

And yes, go to try outs... I am asking what leagues are there. I cant go try out for junior teams any more. I am not going back to school as far as I am aware of and if I do I do not think of any school that has hockey...

Besides that, no other leagues were offered. Wisconsin Adult league? I am not moving to Wisconsin. In fact I am not really looking for anything outside of the tristate area. NY, NJ, CT. I understand its foolish to want so much and not expect to travel for it but i do have bigger priorities to meet before my hockey life. I kind of hate to say that but its true. And if there is nothing for me here to further my competitive level and skill... then so be it. At least I looked, I tried.

Why I thought of moving to Europe is because of my home there as well. My family 2nd. To learn more about my heritage and live there shortly was always a dream of mine anyway.

Fortunate for me, NY area is pretty big with hockey compared to the rest of the country. Not so many semi pro teams to just go try out for but its not like there is NONE.



I just find it HILARIOUS that you can take what I say so out of context. All I argue is that you cannot say this person never played at this level so he can never further his career. To say I played only High School Hockey and say Semi Pro teams are not looking for that is ridiculous. I know plenty of d3 CLUB players who are better than certain d3 non club players. I have seen players who only played rec league hockey be better than some high school leagues. Same applies elsewhere. Same applies in the NHL... There are guys in the AHL who deserve to be in the NHL based on skill or hard work. Yet a lot has to do with coach and system... a lot has to do with luck.

My point was to never argue if I could make it. I just wanted to know possible career paths from here.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
  #34
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
This cannot be overstated. Until you find a team it wouldn't even be a bad idea to find yourself a Div. 1 adult leauge. The ones around here are usually filled with ex Junior+ players and it's actually a very high quality league.
I agree with you. I do have to find a higher form of hockey simple as that. Start there, maybe that is as far as I can go. Maybe I cant even settle with that. But I will look for that.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 04:02 PM
  #35
Thesensation19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Perhaps you should go to grad school and kick the can around for a year in the ACHA if you have any eligibility left. Should satisfy the competitive urge you are looking for.

Also, google Mike Sellitto. He played ACHA D2 at FGCU, which is a good program, and actually had a highlight video made of his hits and hustle plays. He sent it onto some teams and actually got an AHL tryout with Bridgeport and assigned to the FHL and spent some time in the SPHL and ECHL.

So it's not entirely impossible, just not likely. But the advice above to stop asking people and just try out is probably about as good as you'll get.


I am not sitting here trying to wait for advice. I am already doing what I can... It doesnt hurt to sometimes ask for advice. Dam, acting like all i do is spend my time on here.

Thesensation19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.