HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gonchar Appreciation Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 09:03 AM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
gonch had a rough night last night. just like a lot of guys. i'd still love to have him back at $3-4mil on a 1-year contract. i doubt he'd do that, so he's likely gone.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
HavlatMach9

Calm and a pro with the puck. I wish we can replace his game once he leaves.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:54 AM
OgieO

terrible last night, but a good season overall. I'm not a huge fan, but you have to be crazy not to see he was a positive for this team this year. Hapy to have him back another year. One terrible, and it was terrible, game does not overrule a very good season.

OgieO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

If Gonchar leaves, we need to pry Keith Yandle out of Phoenix.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
If Gonchar leaves, we need to pry Keith Yandle out of Phoenix.
Would be far too costly unless the Coyotes are actively looking to get rid of him (which they shouldn't be)

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
God Says No

I'm good either way. Nice if he comes back, wouldn't be too upset if he left.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

good and bad.

won't miss him. won't hate if he stays.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Maxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
terrible last night, but a good season overall. I'm not a huge fan, but you have to be crazy not to see he was a positive for this team this year. Hapy to have him back another year. One terrible, and it was terrible, game does not overrule a very good season.
Yes a terrible night.
No not a good season over all (and I'm not crazy).

I've been saying it all year, let him go. I'm almost convinced that the good feelings for Gonchar this year have been some kind of self assembling media back-pat monster.

He has not been good on the ice all year. I hear he's a good guy and is good in the dressing room. I and don't begrudge him a cent, but his time here is done. Let him go.

Maxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxd View Post
Yes a terrible night.
No not a good season over all (and I'm not crazy).

I've been saying it all year, let him go. I'm almost convinced that the good feelings for Gonchar this year have been some kind of self assembling media back-pat monster.

He has not been good on the ice all year. I hear he's a good guy and is good in the dressing room. I and don't begrudge him a cent, but his time here is done. Let him go.
He put up .5ppg on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. He did have a good season.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Maxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
He put up .5ppg on one of the worst offensive teams in the league. He did have a good season.
I did not miss a single moment of the season (or the last 7 or so). I can tell you without reservation that most of his points had nothing to do with his play. That streak he was on was just ridiculous in terms of point luck. It happens.

He has flashes of brilliance and can play well at times given his speed. Often it is painful to watch him take another penalty trying to slow down faster players.

A metric I use when evaluating defense is 'what happens after he touches the puck'. If you watch Gonchar ... he doesn't do as well as most of our other D and the few he's as good as are young and need reps.

Pat him on the back, thank him and let him go.

Maxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

yup, good leader (off the ice mostly) and good guy, but it's time to move on imo. And that probably means goodbye to alfie too. It's all in on the youngins.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

He has had a great career & should be an automatic HOF. Having said that though, I think he has reached the end of the road as I have been saying all yr. I would like to see Ottawa get younger, bigger & much quicker on defence.

Next yr, I expect that Wiercioch will replace Gonchar on defence along with Benoit & Boroweicki. At some point next season or the following yr Ceci should be the 2nd pairing right shot defenceman.

Next Season:
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Wiercioch - Phillips/Benoit

Coming Soon:
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Can't say I'd miss him if he left.

Emerica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
I appreciate a lot of what he has done with his veteran presence, but he is just too inconsistent/slow/lackadaisical for us moving forward. I have enough confidence in Wiercioch/Gryba to take over his pp and pk roles.

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
I few weeks ago I was game for trying to sign him for an extra year. Considering how far he has dropped off since then, and how next year is a full 82 game schedule, I think it is time to let him walk.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Ed Wood

I consider Gonchar to be the Sens MVP this season but I don't expect him to be back. He's been all class though and I've got nothing bad to say about him.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

I'm like a yo yo on this guy from game to game, shift to shift and sometimes play to play. He can be so good and energy efficient but often too much so. He won't speed up or sacrifice himself to make the great play. If the play comes to him at his speed he's very good.

I don't think we have anyone ready in the system to replace him on the right side. The left side D is fine but with only EK and Gryba as 1R and 3R if only we could add another Methot or Cowen type to play 2R the right side would be perfect. Gonchar won't sign for 1 year at $3.5M or less and I really don't want him back for 2 years. Even then I think they should look elsewhere but please no more Lundin fillers they need a legitimate # 2R D.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Gonchar's time is over. He had memorable stretches this season but mind you it was half a season, completely different mindset on full year.

Gonchar makes too many ****ed up plays for a guy who we are supposed to heavily rely on.

Time's up, thanks Gonch.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:16 PM
sensfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Gonchar's time is over. He had memorable stretches this season but mind you it was half a season, completely different mindset on full year.

Gonchar makes too many ****ed up plays for a guy who we are supposed to heavily rely on.

Time's up, thanks Gonch.
Pretty much my thoughts. Even though Gonch was good all year, last game he was monumental in the loss. In such an important game a vet like Gonch is counted on.

sensfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Gonchar's spot is the only real place to actually improve our defence for next season. Ideally we don't re-sign him because we find a better option, but I wouldn't be all that upset if we re-signed him.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:25 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Gonchar's spot is the only real place to actually improve our defence for next season. Ideally we don't re-sign him because we find a better option, but I wouldn't be all that upset if we re-signed him.
Problem is, he's the best UFA defenseman available this offseason.

It's him, and then... Streit, Corvo, Zidlicky, Ryan Whitney, Ron Hainsey, Jordan Leopold, Michal Rozsival, Rob Scuderi, Andrew Ference...

... it's not a good list. If we want to upgrade on Gonch, we'll have to do it via trade.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:54 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Considering other UFA disasters, he turned out to be a very good signing. I think at the right price he should return. I am not sure if Wiercoch is ready to pick up his role or minutes yet.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
He has had a great career & should be an automatic HOF. Having said that though, I think he has reached the end of the road as I have been saying all yr. I would like to see Ottawa get younger, bigger & much quicker on defence.

Next yr, I expect that Wiercioch will replace Gonchar on defence along with Benoit & Boroweicki. At some point next season or the following yr Ceci should be the 2nd pairing right shot defenceman.

Next Season:
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Wiercioch - Phillips/Benoit

Coming Soon:
Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki
I think this is spot on. We are setting the table with these guys. And there are still a couple in Bingo that can make noise.

We go to war with this, and IF we need bring someone in at the deadline, we take a look then. But this chemistry sets up nicely.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Alfie#11

Gonchar has done the best he can and, for the most part, has been very good.

The hands and the head still work but the legs are gone.

If we had a different mix, he might make sense. But our blueline needs more speed.

This is part of the rebuild. We didn't dump all of the vets at the start but they will continue to be weeded out.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11 View Post
Gonchar has done the best he can and, for the most part, has been very good.

The hands and the head still work but the legs are gone.

If we had a different mix, he might make sense. But our blueline needs more speed.

This is part of the rebuild. We didn't dump all of the vets at the start but they will continue to be weeded out.
They might need to re-sign him just to get to the cap floor.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote