HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 02:54 PM
regard

vCash: 500
The argument to ship out Fleury over Martin or Orpik would make alot more sense if we had any option for long term goalie to replace him.
IDK do we want to be that team with no set goalie grasping at straws?

Guess there could be options this offseason though with some big names potentially on the move and some FAs(some old) available.

After the Hawks/Flyers finals everyone on HF was preaching (cheap 1a/1b goalies, ride the hot hand) then true franchise goalies win and it was back to that. Now Fluerys actually not starting for once and hes "gone for sure".

Really hard to say what will really happen. Him and Iginlas futures here dont seem to be figuring themselves out anytime soon. Maybe if we go another round or two.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
i wouldn't be against signing Bäckström for two or three years and then re-assessing the goalie position down the road. two older, 'injury-prone' goalies in Bäckström and Vokoun is of course a risk. but keeping MAF is a risk as well. at this point i'd rather the Pens gamble on health than on MAF's 'mental fortitude'.

long-term stability in goal should always be on Shero's mind, but it shouldn't come at the expense of winning in the here and now.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I expect Fleury to be in net for us game one of next season

Old
05-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
not exactly a bold prediction. i expect the same, but it's fun to speculate.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i wouldn't be against signing Bäckström for two or three years and then re-assessing the goalie position down the road. two older, 'injury-prone' goalies in Bäckström and Vokoun is of course a risk. but keeping MAF is a risk as well. at this point i'd rather the Pens gamble on health than on MAF's 'mental fortitude'.

long-term stability in goal should always be on Shero's mind, but it shouldn't come at the expense of winning in the here and now.
Either that, or paying the price to get a young guy like Neuvirth who's played well, but was out played by a younger guy. There's a lot of goalies on the market this summer, so we do have some options. The only crappy thing about MAF is that I do feel that he'd succeed if he went elsewhere.

As for Backstrom, while I think he'll be available, I don't think he would be any cheaper than MAF.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."

Last edited by Riptide: 05-22-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Jax1166

Odds Dupuis is re-signed and for how much?

Old
05-23-2013, 12:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
The Pens barely have money for Dupuis. They'll be right against the cap ceiling. So, I wouldn't expect that. We always figured that Paul Martin's 5M salary would go bye-bye this summer. I'd rather have that 5M salary than the one in net.

Old
05-23-2013, 12:10 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
As well as game one of the playoffs next year. I'm sure everyone realizes that though.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The Pens barely have money for Dupuis. They'll be right against the cap ceiling. So, I wouldn't expect that. We always figured that Paul Martin's 5M salary would go bye-bye this summer. I'd rather have that 5M salary than the one in net.
Vokoun can't carry a 50 game load and be a playoff starter.
I think having Fleury play 40-50 games and then Vokoun the rest in the regular season is fine.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:09 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Odds Dupuis is re-signed and for how much?
Honestly, I think he re-signs and he gives us a huge discount. $2.5-$3M range.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Jax1166

Wishful thinking?

Old
05-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Krom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Honestly, I think he re-signs and he gives us a huge discount. $2.5-$3M range.
I'm beginning to think the Pens should not ask him to take a discount. He's often been one of their very best players. A dedicated, hard-working, respected, likable, and skilled player who is instrumental to their success. In a perfect world, they'd do the right thing and send a message that players like this get rewarded.

That being said, I know we don't live in a perfect world.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

I'll try to find a link, but in one of the beat writers' recent Q&A sessions, it was stated that Dupuis is more concerned about term. I believe four years was the number.

Sounds like he'd be willing to take another discount in that case. Obviously these scoring numbers are going to come back to earth at some point, and that's a concern. But he's versatile enough and his role in the locker room is big enough that I wouldn't object to gambling a bit on a longer contract.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Krom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
I'll try to find a link, but in one of the beat writers' recent Q&A sessions, it was stated that Dupuis is more concerned about term. I believe four years was the number.

Sounds like he'd be willing to take another discount in that case. Obviously these scoring numbers are going to come back to earth at some point, and that's a concern. But he's versatile enough and his role in the locker room is big enough that I wouldn't object to gambling a bit on a longer contract.
Hopefully there is a balance to be struck between term and compensation that satisfies both parties. If I had to lay money, I'd say he's on the team next year. But that might mean that Cooke is gone.

Considering what they have on the roster now on defense, and what they have coming in the pipeline, I'd try to move Niskanen and his $2.3 million contract this summer.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:27 AM
redsono93

What would it take to draft both Marko Dano and Zach Fucale?

Old
05-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
What would it take to draft both Marko Dano and Zach Fucale?
2 draft picks?

Old
05-24-2013, 09:16 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
2 draft picks?
1. ROFL.

2. Why are we talking about potential names to draft, even in this thread?

Old
05-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'd pass on giving Dupuis four years. He's 34 years old. I like him but I don't want to be stuck with him until he's 38.

I'd prefer to only offer two years but push come to shove I'd probably be okay with three years if he'd take a slight discount of around 3 million per/year or so.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
sniugneP

Dupuis is extremely durable and so well-conditioned. I won't mind 3 years contract for him. I think it's reasonable as long as it's not over $3.5M per.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Dupuis is extremely durable and so well-conditioned. I won't mind 3 years contract for him. I think it's reasonable as long as it's not over $3.5M per.
If you give Dupuis that deal and Shero otherwise stands pat, then the Pens are pretty much done with the roster from there.

If you do that and then move Fleury, Nisky, and buyout Glass, then Shero has got a lot of flexibility and the chance to hold cap space to be a player at the deadline again.

EDIT: I'm not saying NOT to give Dupuis that. Just know that Shero doesn't have much to work with if you do that.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Hottubber

A lot of Hawks fans seem to be ok with dealing Seabrook. On paper he should compliment Letang very well to make a legit first pairing.

I know they are looking for a 2nd line center and possibly a cheaper replacement dman. Sutter isn't really a 2nd line center but is an upgrade over Bolland.

Sutter + Orpik for Seabrook (5.8 for 3 more seasons)

Obviously this deal would be with keeping JJ as the 3rd line center

Old
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i wouldn't mind blowing up the bottom pairing to get Letang a legitimate partner. Nisky and Murray make 2.3M and 2.5M respectively. re-signing Murray probably will cost something similar or less. run with some combination of Bort, Engo, Després and Dumoulin on the bottom pairing and find the the right partner for Letang.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
i wouldn't mind blowing up the bottom pairing to get Letang a legitimate partner. Nisky and Murray make 2.3M and 2.5M respectively. re-signing Murray probably will cost something similar or less. run with some combination of Bort, Engo, Després and Dumoulin on the bottom pairing and find the the right partner for Letang.
There's your partner for Letang.

But I do like the idea of getting rid of Nisky and having a bottom pairing of Bort/Dumoulin.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
There's your partner for Letang.

But I do like the idea of getting rid of Nisky and having a bottom pairing of Bort/Dumoulin.
i think they'll be good together down the road and during stretches of the regular season but i was thinking of someone more experienced and defensively sound. someone like the LA-iteration of Scuderi. he and Willie Mitchell look damn good paired with the Kings PMDs during last seasons playoffs?

Old
05-24-2013, 09:05 PM
WVP

Man, I was always against a re-sign in this case but Murray has been pretty much perfect here so far. I guess that will come down to asking price.

Closed Thread