HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Thread VIII

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Not sure if sarcastic or not...

But what makes you so sure the Leafs were frauds?
Because leafs usually starts to stink after the first half of the regular season

Old
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Because leafs usually starts to stink after the first half of the regular season
True that.

Plus the fact that their roster is, well, crap.

But I'll give you that they actually played well in the playoffs, for what it's worth.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
There's no basis in that whatsoever. The Leafs were consistently mediocre throughout the season for seven years, the most well known exceptions being the few failed playoff pushes in which they began picking up points at alarming rates. It actually goes against the theory you're promoting.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
There's no basis in that whatsoever. The Leafs were consistently mediocre throughout the season for seven years, the most well known exceptions being the few failed playoff pushes in which they began picking up points at alarming rates. It actually goes against the theory you're promoting.
What? Just last season you were a playoff team until january. Then you went on losing streaks which got Wilson fired. Leafs were 6-9-3 in their last games with Carlyle...

Old
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Old
05-21-2013, 03:03 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
What? Just last season you were a playoff team until january. Then you went on losing streaks which got Wilson fired. Leafs were 6-9-3 in their last games with Carlyle...
That was not even close to the norm. Even with those games included, the post lockout Leafs have been better in the 4th quarter of the season than any other.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
That was not even close to the norm. Even with those games included, the post lockout Leafs have been better in the 4th quarter of the season than any other.
tho last season is what counts not two years ago (I know I said usually, wrong of me).

Anywho, if habs is a fraud then so is the leafs.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:21 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
tho last season is what counts not two years ago (I know I said usually, wrong of me).

Anywho, if habs is a fraud then so is the leafs.
Maybe they are, time will tell. But the point was the Habs were frauds, and Leafs would have dispatched them in short order. It's their own fault for not earning that soft matchup when they had the chance to secure it.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Hawkman
A Man and The Blues

Sometimes I read posts by young Hawk fans who (if we lose this series) want to fire and trade everyone. This is my response. Let's not panic. We're only down one game and can still win. If not, we've been The O6 Losers for most of the last century with only 3 Cups before 2010 in almost 100 years. Let's not throw our new winning tradition away, because we lose one series to a great franchise with great Stanley Cup champions such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg and a better goalie.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Sometimes I read posts by young Hawk fans who (if we lose this series) want to fire and trade everyone. This is my response. Let's not panic. We're only down one game and can still win. If not, we've been The O6 Losers for most of the last century with only 3 Cups before 2010 in almost 100 years. Let's not throw our new winning tradition away, because we lose one series to a great franchise with great Stanley Cup champions such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg and a better goalie.
It would be pretty stupid of the hawks to blow up their team wether they win or lose this series.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
It would be pretty stupid of the hawks to blow up their team wether they win or lose this series.
obviously.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
I hope they do

Old
05-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Hawkman
A Man and The Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I hope they do
If anyone else has Netflix, I just discovered they have Hedberg's 2 all time fav flicks on the instant que, "A Night at the Roxbury" and "Superstar".

Last edited by Hawkman: 05-22-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

I must be the only guy around who knew the Hawks weren't that good despite a dominant 48 games. After the super six, their support players are bums IMO.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

The reply when asked whether they will come back from a 3-1 series deficit.

"Probably not. They have too much depth."

In the history of the NHL, has a captain ever said less responsible words in the playoffs?

One of my fav NHLers for a long time has just shown he's past due: put the goat out to pasture. (He collected his puck after the game. With his words and his actions, if I was the coach, I'd not dress the captain next game and tell the troops: Who's ready to win?

Old
05-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

"Probably not," Alfredsson said. "I mean, with their depth and power play right now, you know, it doesn't look too good.
"When you look at what we did, it wasn't good enough. Does that mean [Pittsburgh] was good? Did we make them good? Who really cares? From our point of view, we didn't manage the puck [well], we didn't execute our passes, and subsequently, we got punished in the neutral zone. We turned way too many pucks over and gave them some freebies. It would have been nice to have the lead for a little bit longer, but now we're back on our heels again. We didn't shut them down when it matters."

"It's a frustrating night," Alfredsson said. "But we've never quit, and we're not going to stop now. The odds are against us in every way. I don't think there's much going for us. Maybe that's the way we like it."

Full quote and suddenly it looks better. Dont be THAT guy VanI

Last edited by Hobnobs: 05-23-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old
05-23-2013, 02:38 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
"Probably not," Alfredsson said. "I mean, with their depth and power play right now, you know, it doesn't look too good.
"When you look at what we did, it wasn't good enough. Does that mean [Pittsburgh] was good? Did we make them good? Who really cares? From our point of view, we didn't manage the puck [well], we didn't execute our passes, and subsequently, we got punished in the neutral zone. We turned way too many pucks over and gave them some freebies. It would have been nice to have the lead for a little bit longer, but now we're back on our heels again. We didn't shut them down when it matters."

"It's a frustrating night," Alfredsson said. "But we've never quit, and we're not going to stop now. The odds are against us in every way. I don't think there's much going for us. Maybe that's the way we like it."

The full quote doesn't help that much.

What he said at the end should have been the whole quote.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The full quote doesn't help that much.

What he said at the end should have been the whole quote.
I take it as "Probably not [the way we played tonight]". Hes obviously pissed that the teaam played a lousy game when it was important. Seems ppl get concerned as soon a a captain doesnt make "the promise"

Old
05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
I repeated verbatim what the TSN announcer quoted him as saying. TSN put quotation marks around the words I cited as I cited them at the end of their postgame report.

Don't trust journalism these days. They often quote things out of context for sensational value. I should have known better.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:18 AM
seventieslord

Alfie should just stay out of making predictions, eh? Seems whether he predicts a win or loss, everyone wants his head.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Hawkman
A Man and The Blues

It's 91, except not quite as bad, because the 91 President's Cup team lost 4-2 to the (4th place in the Norris Division, 27-39-14, 68 points) MN North Stars in the first round after being 38 points better in the regular season.

I'm looking at the bright side. Excluding the SC Finals, it's impossible for them to ever beat us in the playoffs again, and losing in the SC Finals is not exactly something to be ashamed of. Let the East deal with them.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:39 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I repeated verbatim what the TSN announcer quoted him as saying. TSN put quotation marks around the words I cited as I cited them at the end of their postgame report.

Don't trust journalism these days. They often quote things out of context for sensational value. I should have known better.
Sensationalism at its finest, I guess...

Old
05-24-2013, 11:04 PM
seventieslord

well, he was right.

Old
05-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Dreakmur

It appears that Hockey Canada has removed body checking from the peewee level. This means that kids will not start learning how to give and receive a body check until they are 13.

Makes you wonder when the last time these voters were actually inside a hockey rink....

Old
05-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
It appears that Hockey Canada has removed body checking from the peewee level. This means that kids will not start learning how to give and receive a body check until they are 13.
Meanwhile in Russia...kids at that age have already learned how to butt-end, spear and line brawl. I see dark days ahead for Canadian hockey.

Closed Thread