HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 10:06 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
No issue with you including Reimer in that trio but the other two aren't exactly young.

Dubnyk is 27 while Ward is 29 and I don't think Dubnyk has really done enough to separate himself from Ward. Corey Crawford is 28 and born the same year as Ward although at least he has had a good year.

Neither of them are really all that young though.
I do because Reimer's game is flawed and will ultimately be exposed on a best on best competition. Then again, if he doesn't see ice time, I suppose anyone riding third wheel works.

...except Fleury....he does not deserve to be anywhere near the roster.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
The only possible line combo I see working that includes Hall would have Tavares @ center and Giroux@RW.

And I don't want Perry anywhere near the team. He hasn't done **** in years, is slow and will lead the tournament in PIMs, provides no flexibility in the line-up, strictly at RW..can't do anything else, and he doesn't even score that much anymore. A better option would be Jeff Carter. He can skate, he can score, he can play center or RW, can move up and down the lineup... Neither Perry nor Getzlaf are needed this time around. and if they are chosen, then I don't like our chances.

My views on both Perry and Getzlaf are well documented around these parts. well, at least you can't say I have any particular eastern or western bias. Perry being the Ontario boy and Getzlaf the good ol' western prairie kid.
And you somehow justify Seguin over Hall?

Hall - 2nd in WC scoring 2012-2013
Perry - 2010-2011 Hart winner

Seguin - ? [Stanley Cup is a team effort...and even then, that was a) almost 3 years ago and b) he's been extremely disappointing in the playoffs]

Old
05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
And you somehow justify Seguin over Hall?

Hall - 2nd in WC scoring 2012-2013
Perry - 2010-2011 Hart winner

Seguin - ? [Stanley Cup is a team effort...and even then, that was a) almost 3 years ago and b) he's been extremely disappointing in the playoffs]
Seguin's game is by far more complete than Hall's at this point. Their career stats are almost identical, Hall being aprox. 20 pts better, but not a 2 way player. Hall, as we witnessed at the WHC, was ineffective in lesser role and wouldn't adapt well to a 4th. line role in Sochi and is not yet ready for Top line duty. Seguin plays proficient, effective 2 way game and would be a good fit on a 4th.line with Bergeron. (just my opinion.. you don't have to agree with it... I don't care really.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
why do i keep seeing lucic, hes just a 60 point forward with a physical game that will have very little impact in the olympics.

Because you cant bring a team of 25 Wayne Gretzky's you wont win...

They still have boards in Russia and you will need people to go to the boards and get the puck...

You will also need a big physical guy to park in front of the net on power plays...

80% of people on this board still DONT GET HOCKEY!!!

Old
05-23-2013, 11:29 AM
frag2

Quote:
Seguin's game is by far more complete than Hall's at this point. Their career stats are almost identical, Hall being aprox. 20 pts better, but not a 2 way player. Hall, as we witnessed at the WHC, was ineffective in lesser role and wouldn't adapt well to a 4th. line role in Sochi and is not yet ready for Top line duty. Seguin plays proficient, effective 2 way game and would be a good fit on a 4th.line with Bergeron. (just my opinion.. you don't have to agree with it... I don't care really.
In 30 less games.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:38 AM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
I agree with you...seguin has learnt from experienced players on boston...Hall on the other hand is put in a situation where there are no veteran players like in boston...

Not his fault...he will have to learn by himself...probably will take a little longer, i see him in 2018...not in 2014

Old
05-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
why do i keep seeing lucic, hes just a 60 point forward with a physical game that will have very little impact in the olympics.

if you guys bring Lucic to Sochi, there's a good chance Putin will invade Canada from your north while you're sleeping. International incident waiting to happen. Lucic dumps it in and KO's a Russian defenseman. Operation Looch Underway!

Old
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

No Lucic. Marchand before Lucic but no Marchand either.

Old
05-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree that speed kills on big ice....but you suggested Perry....you don't think Carter is a better skater than Perry? Both Getzlaf and Perry seemed to be somewhat revived as the season started, more so Getzlaf than Perry, but once the 2 signed their extensions, both disappeared, more so Perry than Getzlaf. I cringe every time I see somebody including them in a roster.

if Hall makes it, and JT is 2nd line center then that means Stamkos and MSL are with Crosby (my roster) but I'm not entirely sold that that line can work either. That's why opting for players that at least provide some flexibility is the way to go....you need to have options.... in the end, you may not agree that Seguin is the right choice for 4th. line RW especially if that means Hall is not on the team, but 4th.line RW is not going to be the deciding factor in Sochi. It comes down to the 4 centers whoever they will be only with the top 4 d-men...a controlled puck possession game will win in Sochi not pounding the Russians in the 1st period until they scream uncle.
Getzlaf disappeared after signing his contract? Uh... that is blatantly false.

Edit: And I can't explain Perry's play this season, so I won't bother trying. That being said, he didn't disappear after signing his extension, either. He just looked off the entire season. The prior season, however, he still lead the Western Conference in goals, and he put up very respectable numbers, and he did it with Getzlaf having the worst year of his career. Food for thought.

Last edited by Sojourn: 05-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 03:39 PM
WTFMAN99

Stamkos-Crosby-E.staal
Tavares-giroux-eberle
Nash-getzlaf-perry
Bergeron-toews-sharp

Keith-weber
Subban-pietrangelo
Doughty-letang
Hamhuis

Old
05-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Semin

Possibility of Logan Couture making the team?

Old
05-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Stamkos-Crosby-E.staal
Tavares-giroux-eberle
Nash-getzlaf-perry
Bergeron-toews-sharp

Keith-weber
Subban-pietrangelo
Doughty-letang
Hamhuis
Who is your goalie?

Personally I'd go for Quick. He's proven to be a solid goaltender and not that he was just having one good season in the play-offs last year. Miller isn't as good as he used to be.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:04 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Who is your goalie?

Personally I'd go for Quick. He's proven to be a solid goaltender and not that he was just having one good season in the play-offs last year. Miller isn't as good as he used to be.
Yes, I agree. Lets use Quick.

Old
05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Who is your goalie?

Without a doubt Quick would be the number one.

But hes American

Old
05-23-2013, 06:07 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
Decent. I could seem him being part of a dynamite 3rd line:

L. Couture - J. Toews - R. Nash

Old
05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post

They still have boards in Russia and you will need people to go to the boards and get the puck...

You will also need a big physical guy to park in front of the net on power plays...

i agree they do need physical guys and puck retrievers and there are far better options than lucic, clearly you do not watch hockey

Old
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
leafsfuture

IMO our 4 centers should be in this order: Crosby, Giroux, Toews, Bergeron.

Face-offs matter and all 4 are good at them. Stamkos can easily play wing, and while he played with Giroux this WC, id like to see him with Crosby. Tavares can play on Giroux's wing as they play the game at a bit of a slower pace than Crosby and Stamkos.

As for Getzlaf, hes definitely a guy who should be there, so id probably see if he could switch to the wing. He would be deadly with a guy like Toews.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:54 PM
habsrule4eva3089

IMO the most important part of this team will be our head coach. It will definitely be to our advantage to have the World's best head coach. The way he's handled the Red Wings progression this season is immaculate. They're just toying with the NHL's best regular season team lol.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
I'd say he's definitely in contention for a spot. I've been saying for a while now (before the season) that I think Subban and Couture would make the team, and possibly Burns as well. No one believed me, but look who's laughing now...

Old
05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
DyerMaker66

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux, homes! Or Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:10 PM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
IMO our 4 centers should be in this order: Crosby, Giroux, Toews, Bergeron.

Face-offs matter and all 4 are good at them. Stamkos can easily play wing, and while he played with Giroux this WC, id like to see him with Crosby. Tavares can play on Giroux's wing as they play the game at a bit of a slower pace than Crosby and Stamkos.

As for Getzlaf, hes definitely a guy who should be there, so id probably see if he could switch to the wing. He would be deadly with a guy like Toews.
Agreed with this except Getzlaf on the wing.

With those 4 centres, it's clearly defined who is the #1, who is the #2, and so on. 2 right handed shots, 2 left handed. Pretty great faceoff ability all around.

Crosby
Giroux
Toews
Bergeron

Book it

Old
05-23-2013, 09:19 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Stamkos - Crosby - Perry
Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Couture - Toews - Getzlaf
E. Staal - Bergeron - Nash
Duchene, Benn

Doughty - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Keith - Letang
Staal, Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Holtby

Old
05-23-2013, 11:16 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Stamkos - Crosby - Perry
Hall - Tavares - Giroux
Couture - Toews - Getzlaf
E. Staal - Bergeron - Nash
Duchene, Benn

Doughty - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Keith - Letang
Staal, Hamhuis

Price
Luongo
Holtby
I would bet my house these are the players they go with aside from Perry and Duchene.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:42 PM
RacMan93

tavares-crosby-MSL
stamkos-giroux-ladd
sharp-toews-nash
marchand-bergeron-staal
getzlaf duchene

Old
05-24-2013, 01:41 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post

Yes, yes you can, and you should if you can. There's no need for a Rob Zamuner on this team when you can have a Gretzky instead. I'm tired of this line of thinking from Hockey Canada: Having Todd Bertuzzi or Kris Draper on our team instead of taking BPA is exactly what sent us home without a medal in 2006.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Closed Thread