HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Heebs21*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 11m
The Colorado Avalanche will be VERY busy this off season. Am hearing Ryan Miller is a real target of there's. Want to add a top 4 D as well

The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat 10m
Statsny's days in Colorado look to be numbered as well #Avs

(not a reliable source, but it is the offseason and we need something to talk about)
All of the following could be gone by the start of next season.

Erik Johnson
Semyon Varlamov
David Jones
Paul Stastny
Ryan Wilson
Greg Zanon
Shane O'Brien
Milan Hejduk
Jamie McGinn

Old
05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Sekera is easily much better than Barrie...and this is coming from a huge Barrie fan.

But regardless of how much I like him, he has only amassed 42 games played.

It's clear that you have an obvious bias/hatred towards Varlamov, and I really don't know why, but it's getting a bit old to ONLY post about it when he has what you perceived to be a bad game, but completely disappear when he has a good game.

And for the record, Miller has had a better defense in front of him and still hasn't done much better the last couple of years.
I dont hate Varlamov nor do I hate Erik Johnson contrary to what you think I just dont think they are nearly as good as you make them out to be.

As for me not being around when Varly has a good game, well you are correct. Because he had two good games all of last year.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
All of the following could be gone by the start of next season.

Erik Johnson
Semyon Varlamov
David Jones
Paul Stastny
Ryan Wilson
Greg Zanon
Shane O'Brien
Milan Hejduk
Jamie McGinn
Bold are the ones I HIGHLY doubt

Old
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
I am curious about this Stastny and Ryan Miller talk. I wonder if Grigorenko is a possibility.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:02 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
I am curious about this Stastny and Ryan Miller talk. I wonder if Grigorenko is a possibility.
I can't imagine Buffalo will let Grigorenko go for anything short of an overpayment.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
I wouldn't buy into it. Doesn't sound like it's a reliable sources.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1433889

Go get um Sherman. .. uhh Sakic... I mean Roy?

Seriously go get him!

Old
05-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Please please PLEASE dont go get Miller.

We need to see what Varly is capable of with a GOOD defense before we make any rash decisions.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Why? It's coming from Eklund and some moron on twitter who wants to be like Eklund.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I am really hoping the Miller rumors aren't true.

Assuming they are though, one would have to assume that likely means Varly would be headed out as well and likely to a team looking for a goalie?

Varly to CGY for there 2nd 1st + Reinheart?

Varly to PHI for Laughton and there 2nd?

Varly to NJD for there 1st?

Varly to PHX for Gormley + 3rd?

Know idea what Varly's value would be on the open market. IMO his value has dropped just a little since we acquired him. At the time we gave up a very possibly Top 5 pick + 2nd and it turned out to be the 11th overall.

I think at this point we could either get 1 Top 15 1st, or a later 1st + a good prospect, or a really good prospect + a later pick.

Personally out of the proposals I made just then I like the idea of picking up Gormley or Laughton the most.

But I really hope the Miller rumors aren't true. I have seen enough from Varly the last 2 years despite the poor end to this year that I think Varly can still easily be our #1 goalie next year and potentially be a Top 7 or 8 goalie in the league soon enough.

EDIT: Then again, thinking about what Lindback got last summer, and considering that Varlamov is much more proven and better then Lindback, he might be able to fetch a bit more then what I proposed if a team really likes him, but I have no idea how much that would be.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I liked Burmistrov as a rookie. Speedy, skilled and great at drawing penalties. He did fade quite a bit second half but there was promise there.

Since then, not so much. Everything he does is so inefficient. Weak along the boards, not good around the net and not playing with much fire. For being a three year pro, he doesn't look stronger now than he did as a rookie.

I realize he's not meshed with Noel at all and that's why he hasn't looked great, but I think the minuses and question mark completely overshadows the pluses at this stage.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
This hopefully won't be an active offseason, we shouldn't be doing a whole ton with so much up in the air next year to be addressed. I think Roy needs time to assess what he has before he starts looking to make moves with Joe.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Hans Landaskog

I said I was curious about Miller, not that I wanted him. Like, under what basis would he even be in the picture?

Old
05-23-2013, 08:21 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I liked Burmistrov as a rookie. Speedy, skilled and great at drawing penalties. He did fade quite a bit second half but there was promise there.

Since then, not so much. Everything he does is so inefficient. Weak along the boards, not good around the net and not playing with much fire. For being a three year pro, he doesn't look stronger now than he did as a rookie.

I realize he's not meshed with Noel at all and that's why he hasn't looked great, but I think the minuses and question mark completely overshadows the pluses at this stage.
He has regressed but the kid has all the tools to be a great player. He's probably not a good fit for the avs but if I'm a team like the devils id jump all over him he'll come cheap too. He's going to make the jets look dumb.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:25 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
This hopefully won't be an active offseason, we shouldn't be doing a whole ton with so much up in the air next year to be addressed. I think Roy needs time to assess what he has before he starts looking to make moves with Joe.
I suspect he has been following the Avs quite a bit in the past couple of years anticipating the coaching job so he probably has already a pretty good idea. However I still agree with you. A tweak here and there but he should see how most of these guys adjust to his system before making a lot of changes.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:30 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Avs shouldn't rush to spend money. If someone can come in and help, sure spend to get the guy, but don't just spend money for the sake of it. They need to keep Varly and EJ, let those guys develop under a team actually looking to win.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Agreed, I would generally like them to stay fairly close to status quo.

Draft whoever we draft(Mack or Jones, whichever is fine by me). Depending on who we draft, sign a D or a Forward(Morris, Streit, Stalberg, Macarthur, etc).

BUT, if they do decide to make drastic changes to become competitive next year, I want to see them go allin on those moves.

If we decide that this offseason were turning the ship completely around, I want to see our 2014 1st traded and everything.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs For Life View Post
Bold are the ones I HIGHLY doubt
Rumor has it that Erik Johnson could be had at the deadline for the right price. Philly was interested.

Varlamov will go if we get Miller.

McGinn is nothing more than an offensive winger on the 3rd line. He was invisible in 3/4 of the games last year. He is a top 6 player as an injury fill in. Nothing more. That is not a slight on McGinn either. He is a good player. Just not a top 6 player.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:56 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Rumor has it that Erik Johnson could be had at the deadline for the right price. Philly was interested.

McGinn is nothing more than an offensive winger on the 3rd line. He was invisible in 3/4 of the games last year. He is a top 6 player as an injury fill in. Nothing more. That is not a slight on McGinn either. He is a good player. Just not a top 6 player.
Even if EJ hasn't lived up to the hype, he's still a good top 4 defenseman on a good contract. The Avs need more good defensemen, not to trade one of the few they have. There were no rumors of EJ being available, just that teams were calling and inquiring about him. Doesn't mean the Avs were shopping him.

This is a make or break year for Varly. He'll be given a chance with the new coach and the new system.

McGinn is a good scorer whose one of the more physical players we have on a cheap contract. He's not going anywhere.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
I hope they bring in a guy like Horton or Ryder to take Hejduk's place. They've both done well enough recently and have come up big in the playoffs. They would be good veterans to bring in. Sure, you spend 4 to 5.5 million, but you know the guy can still perform and isn't on the verge of retirement or the AHL. Buy out Jones and Zanon/O'Brien, draft Jones then sign one of those guys.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Malone - Stastny - Ryder/Horton
Bordeleau - Mitchell - Vincour

Johnson - Hejda
Barrie - Wilson
Jones - Elliott
O'Brien

Maybe trade or get rid of O'Brien as well and pick up a great 3rd dman to play with Elliott/Jones.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Thats way too thin.defense

Old
05-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Avs For Life
#92 #9 #29

Quote:

I did not hear ANYWHERE that for the "right price" Johnson could be had. It would have to have been a MASSIVE overpayment.

Why...WHY would we want Miller? An aging goal tender for a team that isnt near a cup? Who ever started that rumor is an idiot

McGinn was traded for LAST season and is on a decent contract. He plays hard and physical and has a good scoring touch. Jones will go before McGinn.

Last edited by Avs For Life: 05-23-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Grammar RULES
Old
05-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Heebs21*

Sakic and Co. are going to make some major changes to this roster. I expect a complete over-haul.

*Trade Paul Stastny to Buffalo for Ryan Miller
*Trade Erik Johnson, Jamie McGinn and Semyon Varlamov to Philadelphia for Sean Couturier, Matt Read, Andrej Meszaros, a 2014 1st and a 2015 2nd

*Re-sign RW- Chuck Kobasew 2 yrs, 2.5m
*Buy out RW- David Jones
*Milan Hedjuk retires
*Release- Greg Zanon, Shane O'Brien

*Sign RW- Jerome Iginla 3 yrs, 21m (This team is desperatly lacking veteran leadership. Landeskog would hand over the captaincy to Iginla as well)
*Sign LW- Pascal Dupuis 4 yrs, 16m
*Sign D- Rob Scuderi 3 yrs, 10m

*Draft Seth Jones #1

Matt Read - Matt Duchene - PA Parenteau
Gabe Landeskog (A) - Ryan O'Reilly - Jarome Iginla (C)
Pascal Dupuis - Sean Couturier - Steve Downie
Cody McLeod - John Mitchell - Chuck Kobasew
Tomas Vincour - Patrick Bordeleau

Andrej Meszaros - Seth Jones
Tyson Barrie - Rob Scuderi (A)
Jan Hedja - Stephane Elliot
Matt Hunwick - Ryan Wilson

Ryan Miller
JS Giguere

Thats a nice looking team.

Last edited by Heebs21*: 05-23-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old
05-23-2013, 09:14 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
I'd really like to give EJ one more shot. Get him a new coach, and a new system. But if he does get moved I think it will definitely be to Philly, and I think Couts would be involved. It should be for a kings ransom.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:15 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I only want two signings... an experienced top 4 LD and a top 9 wing.

For the top 4 LD the best option IMO is Rob Scuderi. The guy is a winner and provides a great safety net for the young RD. This could allow the D to look like this:

Scuderi-EJ
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Barrie
Hunwick

Elliott and Siemens start in Lake Erie. Zanon and SOB traded away for anything. There would be a couple more options like Whitney (I might be the only one, but he started to rebound by the end of the season) or Regehr.

Then find a top 6/9 wing to complete the forward group. Stalberg looks ideal considering age, talent, and cost. Briere would add experience and I think he has something left in the tank. Raymond and MacArthur would be other young options. Run this as a forward group:

Stalberg-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
McLeod-Mitchell/Malone-Bordy
Olver
Palushaj

That roster should be good enough to get into the playoffs, but won't contend until the young players like Landy, EJ, Barrie, S Jones, etc take the next step.

Closed Thread