HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Barkov it is!

Usa! Usa! Usa!

Old
05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

dear SFY,

i was basically injured during my entire draft year. contract plz?

Old
05-23-2013, 07:02 PM
sbears
#goboltsgobears

Send a message via AIM to sbears
Barkov is the pick that would really shock me. Except not so much anymore since I'm now expecting the most out-in-left-field pick.

(please, can't we just pick Drouin?)

Old
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I Am Beat You

I'm sold on Nichushkin.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Pronounced Anders
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
Barkov is the pick that would really shock me. Except not so much anymore since I'm now expecting the most out-in-left-field pick.

(please, can't we just pick Drouin?)
Honestly, I wouldn't even be that mad about Barkov. He's going to be a great two-way center and a star player most likely. The pick that would piss me off is Nichushkin. It's like a reverse-Russian factor we have going here. Of the highly touted prospects, I feel that he has by far the highest bust potential, and also a pretty mediocre upside. He's never going to be Ovechkin or Malkin, but I feel that those comparisons are kind of getting forced on him.

Agreed on Drouin (or whomever drops on the Big 3), though. It's so ****ing obvious. It's kind of like when Boucher was coach... stop trying so hard to outsmart everyone and just do the simple, correct thing.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I just don't understand how you can gather he has the highest bust potential. Barkovs skating is pretty average and could hold him back a ton. Nic can be selfish, but has a very high ceiling, don't kid yourself.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I just don't understand how you can gather he has the highest bust potential. Barkovs skating is pretty average and could hold him back a ton. Nic can be selfish, but has a very high ceiling, don't kid yourself.
This. There's a reason he's in the discussion for top 3. People got too attached to the Big 3 and now don't wanna hear that there may be a new comer. Nichushkin has incredible talent and it's impossible to say he will or won't be as good as Ovechkin or Malkin. Drafting isn't a perfect science and is pure guess work.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I must be kidding myself, because I thought we agreed that his ceiling wasn't high but that he was one of the most NHL ready players.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Steve Yzerman
PLAYOFFS!

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
Yzerman would have been hated by the Canadian media after the Namestnikov pick. A Russian who lives in America and speaks perfect English. The Habs would routinely get grilled for taking Americans consistently and Canada as a whole hates Russians.

That would be Barkov.
Whoa. What? Whoa again. I don't know who told you that but that is not true.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
I am Canadian and I hate Russians. So it must be true.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Quote:
I'm talking about the media who has a hard on for any good ole Canadian boy.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Beat You View Post
I'm sold on Nichushkin.
I'm getting there.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Pronounced Anders
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I'm getting there.
Stockholm syndrome is a *****.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:58 PM
snowden
Man is matter

How many Russians are we gonna draft? Tampa Bay Russians doesn't sound so good.

Old
05-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Steve Yzerman
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
I'm talking about the media who has a hard on for any good ole Canadian boy.
The bigger threat is from the US tbh. And you've been listening to too much Don Cherry.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Steve Yzerman
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I am Canadian and I hate Russians. So it must be true.
Do you really? Why? Is it a continuation of the 80s?

And Steve Yzerman is a big ole Canadian boy and he doesn't seem to be hating any Russians.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Stockholm syndrome is a *****.
I'm sure it is.

However since I haven't been taken hostage, held prisoner and brainwashed into holding a belief on a draft pick lately, it doesn't really apply here.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I must be kidding myself, because I thought we agreed that his ceiling wasn't high but that he was one of the most NHL ready players.
Negative, what I had said was between Drouin and Nic, I think Drouin could have the higher ceiling. MacKinnon and Drouin could have higher ceilings than him, but if they do i'm not sure how big that gap is.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Do you really? Why? Is it a continuation of the 80s?

And Steve Yzerman is a big ole Canadian boy and he doesn't seem to be hating any Russians.
Russians are all secretly spies and should be banned from the NHL. Nichushkin is a traitor, err I mean a traktor.

I hate the thought of gambling on a player who's ceiling is that of a complementary player. You don't get to pick in the top 3 often, especially in a year where the top 3 could each go #1 in several other drafts. You go with the elite potential player and do not settle for the more NHL ready player who only dominates because of his natural physical gifts. The amount of complacency in this thread to settle for a lesser player because of Murray's comments is sickening.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:24 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Russians are all secretly spies and should be banned from the NHL. Nichushkin is a traitor, err I mean a traktor.

I hate the thought of gambling on a player who's ceiling is that of a complementary player. You don't get to pick in the top 3 often, especially in a year where the top 3 could each go #1 in several other drafts. You go with the elite potential player and do not settle for the more NHL ready player who only dominates because of his natural physical gifts. The amount of complacency in this thread to settle for a lesser player because of Murray's comments is sickening.
The professional scout says that he is the best player but you are the expert we should listen to

Old
05-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
The professional scout says that he is the best player but you are the expert we should listen to
Yes, it was only a matter of time before someone posted some ridiculous claim like yours. Please point out where said scout actually said that he is the best player in the draft. Congratulations on arriving to a misguided conclusion based on positive comments on one of the top 5 draft eligible players and taking that and forming your own speculation and conjecture.

And ever since when did one scout's opinion become more accurate than the vast majority that see otherwise?

Old
05-24-2013, 12:52 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Yes, it was only a matter of time before someone posted some ridiculous claim like yours. Please point out where said scout actually said that he is the best player in the draft. Congratulations on arriving to a misguided conclusion based on positive comments on one of the top 5 draft eligible players and taking that and forming your own speculation and conjecture.

And ever since when did one scout's opinion become more accurate than the vast majority that see otherwise?
If he's #1 on Murray's list, doesn't that mean that he is the best player in the draft in their eyes? There's no speculation on my part, rumors have come forward that Murray has Nichushkin at #1 on his list. I have not pieced together any information to arrive there myself, it's things that others have said (including Murray himself).

And the main knock that Nichushkin had was the question of his willingness to come to NA to play. With that no longer an issue, let's wait and see what scouts begin to say. I have not seen anyone say that his ceiling is not high or that he is a high bust risk, so as far as I know that is your own analysis to which I again say: I will trust the professional scouts over you.

Also, the only scout's opinion that matters in terms of our drafting is Murray's, so whether his opinion is accurate or not doesn't matter much.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:11 AM
BoltSTH

Quote:
If he's #1 on Murray's list, doesn't that mean that he is the best player in the draft in their eyes? There's no speculation on my part, rumors have come forward that Murray has Nichushkin at #1 on his list. I have not pieced together any information to arrive there myself, it's things that others have said (including Murray himself).

And the main knock that Nichushkin had was the question of his willingness to come to NA to play. With that no longer an issue, let's wait and see what scouts begin to say. I have not seen anyone say that his ceiling is not high or that he is a high bust risk, so as far as I know that is your own analysis to which I again say: I will trust the professional scouts over you.

Also, the only scout's opinion that matters in terms of our drafting is Murray's, so whether his opinion is accurate or not doesn't matter much.
Totally agree. It is SFY, and he alone, that will make the choice based on his judgement and advice from his staff. He could trade the pick for a 1st pair D, trade down to get extra picks, stay put and pick the player HE thinks is the best for the team in the long run. Some may not like the choice, but he is the GM and I for one am willing to support what that choice is.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:

"There's no speculation on my part...rumours have come out that Nichushkin is #1 on Murray's list." So rumours are not speculation then? You are further spreading what could be faulty speculation, so yes you are speculating. Murray never once said Nichushkin was #1 on his list - no scout is stupid enough to blatantly show their hand like that.

You are entirely misguided on the only knock on Nichushkin being his desire to come over and play in NA. Yet another way the media has contorted and twisted your mind. The excuse that the Russian factor is bringing down his draft stock is nonsense in this situation. If he was actually as good as Malkin or Ovechkin, he would actually be ranked #1. In case you failed to realize, every scouting bureau has him ranked lower than 3 and none of the rankings are projections on how the draft will pan out, but on player ability and long-term potential.

Murray's opinion may mean **** all in the end since SY makes the final decision. Everything is conjecture at this point because the scouts can say anything to create smoke and mirrors to try and conceal who we're actually interested in.

Also, we're in 0 position to gamble with our pick and Nichushkin is a huge gamble at 3. If you're going to believe the rumours you rely on so much, then no other team picking in the top 4, maybe even top 6 rank Nichushkin that highly. If both turn out to be busts relative to their draft positions, I'd rather be the team that took the widely regarded BPA, Drouin/Mac at 3, than the team that tried to pull a Houdini and outsmart everyone else by taking a player not highly regarded by anyone else picking in the same range.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Steve Yzerman
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
dear SFY,

i was basically injured during my entire draft year. contract plz?
This is actually somewhat confusing. Koekkoek who was injured (but still played well before he was injured) got a contract but Vasilevski who played great in Russia still isn't signed by the organization.

Closed Thread