HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Bertuzzi leaving? not so fast...

Old
10-04-2006, 12:30 AM
PantherBlood6*

vCash: 500
Bertuzzi leaving? not so fast...

Quote:
He knew a bit about South Florida before the trade. His grandparents have a winter place in Pompano Beach. His first All-Star appearance was in Sunrise. And the golfing's terrific.

"There's a course every time you turn your head," he says.

Bertuzzi, who will become an unrestricted free agent after this season, figures this is the kind of area where a guy can lay down roots.

"Are you kidding?" he says. "If you're in a place like this, weather like this, you want to play your (butt) off so you're not traded out of a situation like this. If I'm in an area where I love and I want to be, I'm giving it everything I have so there's not a chance or an opportunity to get out of here."
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...uzzi_1004.html

most of the time...i write off comments to the player being "politically correct"...after all...how often did we hear a certain primadonna mutter the same exact words this time last season?

but if you read the entire article...he doesn't seem like the type to say things just to say them. he says what he feels, and at times, it rubs people the wrong way...hell, it has already rubbed me the wrong way and he hasn't even dressed for a game....

hopefully for our sake, he truly means it and we get the "good" todd bertuzzi, the dominating 40-goal-100 point powerforward that sends chills down opposing defensmen's spines todd bertuzzi...and not the floating, 25-goal-70 point semi-cancerous todd bertuzzi of last year.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Thewbacca

Send a message via AIM to Thewbacca Send a message via MSN to Thewbacca
I'm sure he'll be willing to bring home a million or so less he could else where so that he could be near his grand parents more(sarcasm) . The whole story of so-and-so's girlfriend being from the teams area never makes a difference in contract talks ... dudes could care less. An easy example would be Jovanovski contract bidding this past summer.

Thewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Acadmus

You know, all things considered, I really think Roberto didn't want to be traded. I'm really beginning to think he simply thought he was so indispensable to the team that he could simply dictate terms and get whatever he wanted. You know, rock star syndrome, give me a bowl of only green M&Ms, a down pillow, personal massage therapist - female, with appropriate dimensions, and all that. I honestly believe he never thought the Panthers would trade him.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't have - who needs someone like that on the team anyway, who gets too full of himself.

10-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I see Thewbacca's point, but this market may be what Bertuzzi's been wanting since the whole thing started. It's simply not the same market at all that Vancouver is, and it really sounds like he likes here. I just hope the golf courses aren't too distracting.

We'll see, he may find that he really doesn't want to go anywhere else, and he hopefully won't get the 'rock star syndrome.'
I'd like to see him stay for awhile.

10-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherBlood6 View Post
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...uzzi_1004.html

most of the time...i write off comments to the player being "politically correct"...after all...how often did we hear a certain primadonna mutter the same exact words this time last season?

but if you read the entire article...he doesn't seem like the type to say things just to say them. he says what he feels, and at times, it rubs people the wrong way...hell, it has already rubbed me the wrong way and he hasn't even dressed for a game....

hopefully for our sake, he truly means it and we get the "good" todd bertuzzi, the dominating 40-goal-100 point powerforward that sends chills down opposing defensmen's spines todd bertuzzi...and not the floating, 25-goal-70 point semi-cancerous todd bertuzzi of last year.
I agree with a lot of what you say here PB6. I think most of you know I am not a huge fan of Bertuzzi and the roller coaster he brings with him. For the Panthers sake, I hope playing in a non-traditional hockey market brings him some stability both on and off the ice that he obviously needs. He was inconsistent though before the Moore incident, so I am not sure all he needed was a change of scenery.

Reading this article, I got the same impression I get when I read some of Mike Modano's interviews, a player who comes off as being cold and defensive but who cares a lot about the game and has probably been burnt in the past for speaking his mind and not using the canned cliches that so many athletes use.

I hope Bert can turn things around and become a dominant player. I hope at the end of this season, my opinion has changed about Bertuzzi.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
You know, all things considered, I really think Roberto didn't want to be traded. I'm really beginning to think he simply thought he was so indispensable to the team that he could simply dictate terms and get whatever he wanted. You know, rock star syndrome, give me a bowl of only green M&Ms, a down pillow, personal massage therapist - female, with appropriate dimensions, and all that. I honestly believe he never thought the Panthers would trade him.

And I'm not saying they shouldn't have - who needs someone like that on the team anyway, who gets too full of himself.
Lol I've thought that all along ever since he was dealt. Why would he be in "total shock" after being dealt? It's not like it gains him PR in Vancouver. If he wanted to be dealt he could be like "I'm excited to come here and put the tough years behind me" but in all the interviews he was like 'It's disappointing to leave and I'm really shocked, I thought we had something worked out"

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
Reading this article, I got the same impression I get when I read some of Mike Modano's interviews, a player who comes off as being cold and defensive but who cares a lot about the game and has probably been burnt in the past for speaking his mind and not using the canned cliches that so many athletes use.
You know, it's funny you say this. When we met him at the Carnivel, he seemed a bit distant...cold. The reason he stood out, for me, was because all of our other guys seemed so genuinely nice. He's a big guy, so couple that with his lack of charisma, and he came across as intimidating to me. Which isn't a bad quality in a hockey player.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:05 PM
PanthersRule96

BTW, wouldn't the "girlfriend's parents or wife's parents" living in the area cause players to NOT want to come to the area? I guess we really know why Jovo didn't come here...

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:40 AM
truepantherfan55

todd bertuzzi interview by 93 rock

My boy Todd Bertuzzi is like everyother player, he has to back up the city where he plays at and say its the best team yet. I personally believe he has suffured enough from all the beef the media has given him, and he really sounds down to earth and ready to play for us. If he decides not to play for the panthers come january 07 or when ever his contract has expired. I will still be grateful that trade sent roberto packing, and i was able to watch bert play with that panther logo on his chest.

listen to this todd bertuzzi interview by 93 rock

http://93rock.com/janddave/jdpodtoddbertuzzi1006.html

truepantherfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 01:23 AM
vcx*

A zebra doesn't change its stripes, Todd is going to be the same Todd that was in Vancouver. I think he's a career 70pt guy, he had 1 great year and that was that. Not a fan or a hater of his, i think his attitude is pathetic at times but i think what we all have seen of him is what you'll get.

Very inconsistent, will wow you one game, tick you off the next. It'll be great to see him go to the hospitals in Florida with a mouth full of chew telling kids to stay healthy. Keep up the good samaritan act and image Todd.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 01:24 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepantherfan55 View Post
My boy Todd Bertuzzi is like everyother player, he has to back up the city where he plays at and say its the best team yet. I personally believe he has suffured enough from all the beef the media has given him, and he really sounds down to earth and ready to play for us. If he decides not to play for the panthers come january 07 or when ever his contract has expired. I will still be grateful that trade sent roberto packing, and i was able to watch bert play with that panther logo on his chest.

listen to this todd bertuzzi interview by 93 rock

http://93rock.com/janddave/jdpodtoddbertuzzi1006.html
If you do something dumb, how do you exactly suffer? he brought on the media reaction upon himself when he did that. I understand you all disliked him when it all happened but now that he is on your team, the whole "poor guy paid his dues" routine is pretty lame no?

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
A zebra doesn't change its stripes, Todd is going to be the same Todd that was in Vancouver. I think he's a career 70pt guy, he had 1 great year and that was that. Not a fan or a hater of his, i think his attitude is pathetic at times but i think what we all have seen of him is what you'll get.

Very inconsistent, will wow you one game, tick you off the next. It'll be great to see him go to the hospitals in Florida with a mouth full of chew telling kids to stay healthy. Keep up the good samaritan act and image Todd.
Bertuzzi will be the same player he was/always has been. He had 2 good years, and the rest were average years. He takes bad penalties, is very moody and selfish player. Hopefully he changes his attitude in Fla. He said that Crow forced him to play a defensive style of game, and he didn't want to. What is Martin going to do with a player like that? Martin is a more defensive type of coach. Look at bert's+/- over the years, and for a very gifted player, he doesn't "like" playing defense. The people of Vancouver gave him chance after chance last year, after what had happened with him, and even the most pateint fans got sick of his poor attitude. If I was Keenan, I would just given Luongo what he wanted, as the fans in Florida will see what Bertuzzi is really like.

OT question, but is Florida the place where Vancouver trades the malcontent players to? Remember Bure?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
If you do something dumb, how do you exactly suffer? he brought on the media reaction upon himself when he did that. I understand you all disliked him when it all happened but now that he is on your team, the whole "poor guy paid his dues" routine is pretty lame no?
Even Jesus Christ eventually stopped getting beaten. When is enough...enough?

Old
10-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
The people of Vancouver gave him chance after chance last year, after what had happened with him, and even the most pateint fans got sick of his poor attitude. If I was Keenan, I would just given Luongo what he wanted, as the fans in Florida will see what Bertuzzi is really like.
And in a few years Nucks' fans will feel the frustration that is Roberto Luongo. I understand you're high on Luie now, but if he performs for you, the way he performed for us, you'll eventually grow weary of his primadonna attitude.
Quote:
OT question, but is Florida the place where Vancouver trades the malcontent players to? Remember Bure?
Consider Luongo our 'Bure' gift to you.

Old
10-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Acadmus

Doesn't Vancouver wonder that the only reason most Panthers fans on this board were upset about the trade is we didn't think we got enough? Oh, and the fact that Krajicek was included along with a pick didn't make it an easy pill to swallow. We were prepared to do without Luongo. I still think he's a top-flight goalie, but he does have a glaring weakness that doesn't get any better and unless your team is set up just right to help him out, you won't make the playoffs as long as he's in net, either.

Naturally I'm referring to the rebound control issues he has.

Meanwhile, I think the key to valuing this trade will be Allen vs. Krajicek, anyhow, and could end up a draw. Both teams got what they wanted, there.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Bertuzzi will be the same player he was/always has been. He had 2 good years, and the rest were average years. He takes bad penalties, is very moody and selfish player. Hopefully he changes his attitude in Fla. He said that Crow forced him to play a defensive style of game, and he didn't want to. What is Martin going to do with a player like that? Martin is a more defensive type of coach. Look at bert's+/- over the years, and for a very gifted player, he doesn't "like" playing defense. The people of Vancouver gave him chance after chance last year, after what had happened with him, and even the most pateint fans got sick of his poor attitude. If I was Keenan, I would just given Luongo what he wanted, as the fans in Florida will see what Bertuzzi is really like.

First off if you knew the whole story, you'd know that giving Luongo what he wanted was nigh impossible. I mean he wanted Anaheim's goalie coach who is of course under contract to Anaheim. Well it's quite illegal to make an offer to an under contract coach and this was after Luongo basically just kept making more demands after he was closer to signing a deal. He wanted McLennan back, he wanted the team to publicly state that they wouldn't trade him...come on he may be a great goalie but he does NOT run the team. We can have this discussion until the end of time, but his agent basically wanted him traded to get a little more money. And last time I checked, Bure was a force here, putting the Cats back on the map winning back to back Rocket Richard Trophies (no other player has ever done that) and All-Star MVP while helping this team back to the playoffs in 2000. Sure he didn't work out towards the end but that's likely of most players near the end of their career (especially for his injury, trading him to NYR was tough but they also got very little out of him).

In all seriousness, give it a rest with the idea that Bertuzzi will be awful when he hasn't played a single game, and for godsakes enough with the Oh Everyone Wants To Leave Florida shtick, if that were the case I don't think any of these free agents would have signed, let alone Jokinen for 4 years, who certainly could have ruled the market this free agent season. Let's put it this way, Bertuzzi will be the same player just like the Hurricanes, Sabres, and Rangers were all terrible last year. These predictions are so meaningless in the new NHL, you've got no idea what's going to happen. I think we're all well aware of his baggage, because the plane left it back in Vancouver Guess what, if he sucks then we're not on the hook for next year like you would be for Luongo. We can also trade him before he would be a FA, or is that impossible just like everyone told us we'd lose Luongo to free agency? And if he's great here, then he'll resign and let's face it, there's a limited number of low exposure teams that he can go to if he wants to avoid the spotlight to some extent. I don't know about Canucks fans, but I will give him a chance to redeem himself in the less defensively minded Eastern Conference. And btw, adding just 70 points to this team would be a lot, considering only Jokinen beat that last year with 89. Panthers will take all they can get, because they want a team oriented offense, another reason why Bertuzzi is second line and they are trying to keep 1st line chemistry of last year. I don't wish ill-will on Vancouver or Luongo (his agent not withstanding), but for now, I'd just worry about your own team. Come talk to us in 6 months and we'll see how things are then.

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Jakethesnake

Quote:

Yea but this year he is playing for a new contract and therefore he will play his *** off

Jakethesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Happy Girl

Last year Florida took some significant strides to get rid of the dead weight and attitude problems. If Bert comes in and doesn't want to play hard every day, I think he'll get a swift kick in the arse from Jokinen, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Gratton, Van Ryn, Gelinas, etc... He won't have his buddy Naslund here to protect him. If he can't adjust, he will probably find his way out the door via a trade. As far as playing a stronger defensive game, it can be done. Mike Modano did it in Dallas. But then, IMO Modano >>> Bertuzzi.

IMO - Luongo simply became too much of the focus of this team and his attitude at the end stunk. I want this and I want that blah blah blah. No one player is more important than the team. Luongo is arguably (and boy have we) one of the best goalies in the league but what a frickin whiner. A few years ago when Lou Lamoriello thought the Arnott, Elias, Sykora line had become too much of the focus and not the team, he made a calculated risk and blew it up by trading Arnott and then Sykora. All NJ did the following year was win the Cup.

One thing that has really impressed me in the player interviews this year is that all of the players are taking responsibility for the team's success instead of blaming it on management, lack of consistency in ownership, not enough experience players...

Everyone has their opinions on this matter and the truth is we won't know what to expect until Friday. I am willing to give the guy a fair shot. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for an athlete. Sometimes it is not.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Georgia Panther

Bertuzzi To Sign With Phoenix According To THN

I take this with a grain of salt as it's using the same reasoning that Jovo would sign with Florida because Bertuzzi was here and didn't that turn out true?

From Adam Proteau of THE HOCKEY NEWS:

"Confirm or Deny: Panthers forward Todd Bertuzzi, who’s got one year remaining on the four-year contract he signed with Vancouver, is looking like a lock to join the Phoenix Coyotes next summer when he becomes an unrestricted free agent. Bertuzzi’s close friend and former Canucks teammate Ed Jovanovski will be there for the next five years, and because of that – not to mention the player-friendly operation Wayne Gretzky and Mike Barnett run – the big winger is heavily rumored in some circles to have his eye on the desert dogs."

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
YotesFan

It's more than just a rumor. Gretzky himself said they were gunning for him in a deal before he went to Florida.(FSN Coyotes Draft Special). Gretzky really likes this guyl. I think they will def. try and sign him this offseason.

YotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=293613

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:29 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

So Florida gives up Luongo for one year of Bertuzzi? Ouch!

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin View Post
Yep, Bertuzzi should be gone by tomorrow. Seriously guys, get over this already, this is the second thread on this. You want us to just move to Winnipeg and be done with it? Enough with the stupid rumors, this is about as intelligent as Jovanovski signing here this summer because of his bud Bertuzzi. Nothing is ever that simple.

Panthers Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin View Post
Meh, the deal with Bertuzzi sucks. We get 5 Mil cap space to spend on a player, so sure we could have had Havlat or Frolov ...

I really don't see Bertuzzi having a big year anyway.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
George Richards

Dude loves to play golf and Arizona is a great place to be. Keenan thought for sure he could sign Bert to a long-term deal, but Mike ain't around no more. We'll see what happens.

George Richards is offline   Reply With Quote