HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Media Exchange

Old
10-04-2006, 07:55 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Interesting Media Exchange

Monday on the Team990 they played Ribeiro's interview with Marinaro, as he was leaving the Bell Center. I'd guess many of you heard it, but Mike's last words were in response to a question about whether 'off ice' issues contributed to his being dealt. Ribeiro responded that it was a question for Bob, and that in his opinion, that was more a case of the media looking for ways to stir up crap. He went on to say that he hoped the media would let Lats grow up rather than building him up only to tear him down eventually.

I guess this would qualify as a scoop for Marinaro, as far as I know, no one else caught Ribs that candidly. So, the clip was played repeatedly to keep the conversation going, and the tone of the callers was as you can imagine.

Ribs' attitude isn't my point, I think we've said more than cyberspace can handle as it is.

When discussing the situation, that evening on 110%, they were discussing his comments and their validity, when Gagnon mentionned that the tone of the e mails, whether real or not, was particularly vicious towards the guy's personality.

So, Melnick reports to work on Tuesday greeted by thousands of e mails indicating that Gagnon had accused them of doctoring e mails. Melnick, to paraphrase, goes hmmm, doesn't sound like Gagnon, he knows I wouldn't do that, let's call him and ask. In the meantime, they play the 110% clip, and 3 people listening have 3 opinions as to what Gagnon meant.

Gagnon calls in and explains that the tone of the e mails themselves is often untrue. When working on the desk, he would get various reports every night about players being in strip clubs, often in 3 parts of the city at once.

So, 2 grownups clarify the situation, discuss the nature of celebrity watching , and talk a bit of hockey. I hope someone heard this yesterday, it was an interesting exchange.

Watch how a story can take a life of its own though. A slight misunderstanding of a comment on a television show can cause quite a bit of outrage.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Gros Bill

Are you insinuating that we're all idiots? Just because you've been here longer than Gee Wally himself, doesn't give you the right to insult us, you know.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 08:42 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Are you insinuating that we're all idiots? Just because you've been here longer than Gee Wally himself, doesn't give you the right to insult us, you know.
Bill, I would've insulted you when I was 11. Problem is that there was no internet then. Of course, I could run away in those days.

Old
10-04-2006, 08:53 AM
turnbuckle*

Good ol' Ribsie. Passing the blame right until the end. He's such a real man; I'm really going to miss the 'greasy one'.

The funny thing about him blaming the media is that they were often his biggest backers. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
i think the guy is allowed to say this. The hands wich supposedly fed him hasn't done it a long time...

Galchenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 09:04 AM

You know what irked me about this whole Ribeiro vs. Media situation.

It's the focus on his style of clothing, the way he wears his pants or his hat, etc. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 09:07 AM
SerialSeb

It was a good exchange and the way I understoud was that some of the e-mail they got were writen by individuals (fans) that may have being fudging reality.

And that wouldn't surprise me.

Also I think Ribs has a point.

The media will put some local kid on a pedestale and make impossible goals for them to reach almost on purpose so they have something to rip appart later on.

Got to have something to fill those hours.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 09:09 AM
SerialSeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

It's the focus on his style of clothing, the way he wears his pants or his hat, etc. What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Ya what if someone was to judge on the air alomost everyday on everything in your life. Not just your professinellism but what you eat what you drive waht you wear.
Man there are some freakin' limits!

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 09:35 AM
fatmax

Quote:

One word

Babyboomers!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSeb View Post
It was a good exchange and the way I understoud was that some of the e-mail they got were writen by individuals (fans) that may have being fudging reality.

And that wouldn't surprise me.

Also I think Ribs has a point.

The media will put some local kid on a pedestale and make impossible goals for them to reach almost on purpose so they have something to rip appart later on.

Got to have something to fill those hours.
I don't know if you heard the exchange about Tim Raines. He admitted after a season in the early 80's to having a serious issue with it. He did his mea culpas, he did his re-hab, showed up the next year ready to go to work.

During an early season slump, Melnick got calls about Raines being back into the life. Like Gagnon said, Raines would have had to be at 3 bars at the same time for any of this to be true. Hangers on, people that partied with the guy were no longer welcome in his social circle so they had an ax to grind. Some just disliked the guy. Ribs portrayed an image, I get 417's point, but the guy wanted to be seen in a certain light. He wanted to be a Mtl rockstar and maybe didn't understand the price you pay to earn it.

Seb, like most stories, both pov's have some truth to them. I think #71 has some maturity issues, I also think many are obsessed with tearing someone down.

Old
10-04-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't know if you heard the exchange about Tim Raines. He admitted after a season in the early 80's to having a serious issue with it. He did his mea culpas, he did his re-hab, showed up the next year ready to go to work.

During an early season slump, Melnick got calls about Raines being back into the life. Like Gagnon said, Raines would have had to be at 3 bars at the same time for any of this to be true. Hangers on, people that partied with the guy were no longer welcome in his social circle so they had an ax to grind. Some just disliked the guy. Ribs portrayed an image, I get 417's point, but the guy wanted to be seen in a certain light. He wanted to be a Mtl rockstar and maybe didn't understand the price you pay to earn it.

Seb, like most stories, both pov's have some truth to them. I think #71 has some maturity issues, I also think many are obsessed with tearing someone down.
That's the thing though...everybody portrays an image, who doesn't?

I just don't understand why his style of clothing is an issue when he's in a casual environment where a dress code isn't required.

I find it dumb

Old
10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Ribs had a point, especially when he said "You guys like having local kids from Quebec on the team but then you tear them down and drive them out".

The best was after they played the interview one time, Melnick goes "Mike Ribeiro does what he could never do as a Hab- Leave a stinging slapshot."

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:19 AM
znk

Stop lying McPhee.

If it comes from the Internet it's true!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:21 AM
mcphee

Quote:
That's the thing though...everybody portrays an image, who doesn't?

I just don't understand why his style of clothing is an issue when he's in a casual environment where a dress code isn't required.

I find it dumb
To an extent it is. Look at it this way. We've talked about hockey on this baord for a few years now, you probably have a rough image of me, like you would many posters, as I do. If I was in Ottawa and suggested a bunch of posters meet for a beer, whatever perception you'd have of me would alter if I showed up in baggy jeans showing about 4 inches of plaid boxers, a sideways cap, or fill in the blanks. I think to portray an image, in this case, a young, cool image, well, you have to pay some dues first. That looks like a ridiculous statemnet as I read it, and in some ways it stinks of a type of predjudice. The way I meant is by assuming a definite image, you are imposing a personality, which is fine when you can walk the walk.

If you walk into an interview deternined to show your personality thru your dress, vocabulary etc., my 1st read is that the person is too concerned with their own image rather than contributing to the whole. I'm not throwing out 'young people of today' insults, at least I don't think I am. My point is that a guy has to sell himself first as a guy who shows up, puts in his work, then show his personality. If showing the personality comes first, you may have an issue.

Old
10-04-2006, 10:21 AM
BORAT

Ribeiro was in a suit and tie during training amp this year ... I don't get it

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Guy Germaine

Quote:

I couldn't believe they were bringing that up.

Some guy called in to the Stock exchange yesterday ,complaining about how Ribs has earings and wears his hat sideways, and Stock then comments about how he dresses more like a basketball player.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Artyukhin*

media aside

Ribs didnt fit this team period . Gainey benched him last year for a reason .He was also less than stellar in the 05/06 playoffs also .

So you'd think after a raise he'd come and give it his all in the 06 pre season . That wasnt the case ,Carbo in the pre season ends up putting him on the 4th line due to poor play and ends up calling out the " Ribeiro line " .

What Ribeiro did was come to camp thinking he could just go thru the motions because he was a vetern . WRONG ANSWER MIKE . Of all the veterns jobs that weren't safe Ribeiro's was one of the guys that needed to worry . He didint and now he's in Dallas .

That attitude might work for estiblished veterns like KOVY but Ribs your not KOVY

Plekenec ate Ribeiro's cake to the point where the habs said see ya Mike . Plekenec was the final straw that broke Ribeiro's back in Montreal and im not sure even if Ribeiro seen it coming .

all one had to do is loook at Plekenec's play in the 05/06 playoffs and he continued his impressive play in the 06 pre season . He was arguably the best forward in camp most nights .

Plekenec's play made it easy to let go of a slow footed 175 lbs center .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post

Some guy called in to the Stock exchange yesterday ,complaining about how Ribs has earings and wears his hat sideways, and Stock then comments about how he dresses more like a basketball player.

picture Jean Beliveau wearing his hat sideways
picture the Rocket Richard wearing earings

you have to remember even in 2006 the montreal canadiens are trying to sell the "past image" .

Old
10-04-2006, 10:37 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I liked what Jack Todd said..."Mike Ribeiro, who's idea of a hard summer's work is going to power skating lessons 4 times..."

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I liked what Jack Todd said..."Mike Ribeiro, who's idea of a hard summer's work is going to power skating lessons 4 times..."
to be honest that about sums it up . he would have been better not even to mention how many lessons he took . 4 lessons?
4 lessons isnt some impressive number as there kids here that take 4 lessons in 1 week .

why not just say i took power skating lessons . there was no need to highlight how lazy you are

Old
10-04-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
To an extent it is. Look at it this way. We've talked about hockey on this baord for a few years now, you probably have a rough image of me, like you would many posters, as I do. If I was in Ottawa and suggested a bunch of posters meet for a beer, whatever perception you'd have of me would alter if I showed up in baggy jeans showing about 4 inches of plaid boxers, a sideways cap, or fill in the blanks. I think to portray an image, in this case, a young, cool image, well, you have to pay some dues first. That looks like a ridiculous statemnet as I read it, and in some ways it stinks of a type of predjudice. The way I meant is by assuming a definite image, you are imposing a personality, which is fine when you can walk the walk.

If you walk into an interview deternined to show your personality thru your dress, vocabulary etc., my 1st read is that the person is too concerned with their own image rather than contributing to the whole. I'm not throwing out 'young people of today' insults, at least I don't think I am. My point is that a guy has to sell himself first as a guy who shows up, puts in his work, then show his personality. If showing the personality comes first, you may have an issue.
I get what you mean, if we did a meet and greet you'd probably be very surprised and wouldn't think I was who I am once you saw me, but who cares, what does that have to do with anything.

You can't ask Mike Ribeiro to change the person he is because people have a problem with perception. If he's in an environment where a dress code isn't required than he should wear whatever he wants, because people make the mistake of associating his style of clothing with immaturity, etc, that shouldn't be his problem.

It's all about perception. I'll give you an example. (i'm gonna go off the map for this one)

Let's say the dude that walked in that Amish village school and did what he did wearing country casual clothing, would that mean than country casual clothing should be perceived negatively? Of course not, no one would even fathom to make that association.

You make a good point about a guy having to sell himself as a guy who shows up first and puts in his work, before showing his personality. However, it seems that a guy's personality only becomes an issue when it differs from the general populations norm. And I don't get that.

My point is that every single Montreal Canadiens (and everyone actually) player portrays an image, the problem is that a guy like Mike Ribeiro's differs from the norm and people don't understand that, so that automatically means his image is a negative one.

Old
10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
picture Jean Beliveau wearing his hat sideways
picture the Rocket Richard wearing earings

you have to remember even in 2006 the montreal canadiens are trying to sell the "past image" .
Hats, earings, chains...blah, blah, blah...

They're just accessories, they don't define a human being.

Old
10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Hats, earings, chains...blah, blah, blah...

They're just accessories, they don't define a human being.
In a perfect world you'd be correct.

Unfortunately people don't give their fellow man the benefit of the doubt, they often don't look past their stereotypical preconceptions on colour, race, religion and clothing etc...

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post

Again, it's all about perception.

To alot of people, actually most hockey fans.

The hockey player and/or hockey fan is supposed to 'look' a certain way.

Mike Ribeiro doesn't fit this profile, and neither do I actually. Does that mean that Mike Ribeiro's the problem?
Or is it the perception of how a hockey player is 'supposed' to look like the problem?

I think it's the latter.

Old
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
mcphee

417, it's not really a right or wrong thing. I don't necessarily like conformity a whole lot. I don't like supressing who I am in situations but you learn a bit about choosing your battles at some point.

I have an early 20's flower child/hippie in the family. I don't think her views, dress, attitudes towards the world at large are wrong in any way, I agree with some stuff, not with everything , it isn't an issue with us. It is, we've explained to her, when she's looking for work. Get the job, establish yourself, become of value, than show more of yourself. Playing the game goes against my nature, but I do it.