2013 Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Pessimistic?

Coyle, Brodin, and Zucker made the NHL. Those are our few guys who have panned out SO FAR. Everyone else is an incomplete.

Granlund, I'm happy for his success in Finland, but that doesn't spoil me. Men's league in Europe is not the NHL.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Stopping Pucks
I like goalies.

vCash: 14000
Dumba needs another year in the CHL and then a year in the AHL. You can't take chances and hurt his development, this team needs to slowly develop their young players to be effective.

Old
05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
grN1g

You play the best player, plain and simple. If Dumba comes into camp and proves to be better than a current starter, i have no problem with him given a shot.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
You play the best player, plain and simple. If Dumba comes into camp and proves to be better than a current starter, i have no problem with him given a shot.
I am reminded of last off-season when people were wondering if Brodin had a spot on the Wild's defense.

Geez, if Dumba can't make the team, he ain't much of a prospect. Stoner, Falk, and Prosser have their good games, but they are mainly filler until bonafide players come in and take their jobs.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pessimistic?

Coyle, Brodin, and Zucker made the NHL. Those are our few guys who have panned out SO FAR. Everyone else is an incomplete.

Granlund, I'm happy for his success in Finland, but that doesn't spoil me. Men's league in Europe is not the NHL.
To be fair, if you disagree with the rosy sunshine, everything is okay, Fletcher knows what he is doing, they label you a pessimist.

Old
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Well, having 2-3 prospects actually pan out and be promising isn't exactly spoiled. But Dumba doesn't look anywhere near ready for the NHL.
Nah but having 2-3 prospects pan out in one year and not just look good but great, is a bit spoiled.

Not to mention Kuemper as well.

In one season, we found a #2 defenseman, two top six forwards, and a goaltender with high potential. And that isn't including our top six forward in the making in Granlund.

Old
05-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kuemper's still a question mark to me. He had a couple good starts and a couple bad starts. Way too early.

It's unfortunate our brightest prospect was just so bad. I realize it's greedy to want an elite offensive guy, but that's what the Wild need. There's basically no chance they get one in the next few years without giving up some significant pieces.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Kuemper's still a question mark to me. He had a couple good starts and a couple bad starts. Way too early.

It's unfortunate our brightest prospect was just so bad. I realize it's greedy to want an elite offensive guy, but that's what the Wild need. There's basically no chance they get one in the next few years without giving up some significant pieces.
This team took a couple steps forwards this year and then a few steps back. Getting Zucker, Coyle, and Brodin some NHL (and playoff) exp was huge. Granlund will get there.

Old
05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Stopping Pucks
I like goalies.

vCash: 14000
Do you guys see Granlund being a 1C eventually in the future? Or more of a 2-3C?

Old
05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
Do you guys see Granlund being a 1C eventually in the future? Or more of a 2-3C?
He won't be a 3C, that's for sure. I wouldn't write him of as a 1C yet, but most likely he'll end up as 2C or a top-6 winger.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
I dont know if I seem him as a c at all.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:08 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I don't either.

Coyle is still a question mark for me. He didn't look out of place on the top line but he'll need to pick up the offense. He's got the physical play down fine, it's the offense I'm concerned about.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:08 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
I do.. He is doing everything to get better.. Every day.. He will most likely end up as a winger but he is certainly not way off the C 1/2 spot in the future..Have a litle Patience as Axl Rose said so good in the 90's

Old
05-24-2013, 09:08 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Brodin came in at #4 in hockey's future Calder Poll
Quote:
Brodin made a seamless transition from Sweden's Elite League to the NHL in his first season in North America. After skating in nine games for the AHL's Houston Aeros during the lockout, Brodin averaged over 23 minutes of ice time per game in 45 games for the Wild.

Consistent in all aspects of the game and able to transition seemingly effortlessly from the defensive zone to the attack, he scored two goals with nine assists while finishing +3 on a Wild team that was inconsistent at times. Minnesota finished second in the Northwest Division despite allowing more goals than it scored.

Playing alongside high profile free agent signee Ryan Suter for much of the season, Brodin is a key part of the core of young players that Minnesota is looking to build around for the future.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
melinko

vCash: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
I don't either.

Coyle is still a question mark for me. He didn't look out of place on the top line but he'll need to pick up the offense. He's got the physical play down fine, it's the offense I'm concerned about.
He needs to start handling the puck better imo, he seems to avoid touching it with his stick and just using his body to shield everyone from it.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
Middle six winger.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
He needs to start handling the puck better imo, he seems to avoid touching it with his stick and just using his body to shield everyone from it.
+1

I know he has puck skills but we need to see him start to make plays with the puck. He was able to win physical battles but still be ineffective along the boards.

Bruno is with the Wild now; get Bruno to show him how it's done.

Old
05-25-2013, 05:42 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Middle six winger.
#4 ? I think he can crack the first line someday.

Old
05-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Bruno would definitely be a good model for Coyle to follow. I would not mind having Coyle be the magnum version of Bruno at all.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Iowa next season will have a number of young players turning pro, including Johan Gustafsson, Raphael Bussieres, Tyler Graovac and Erik Haula.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/212821781.html

Old
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:

Define "Elite"...

I'd say by certain definition guys like Parise and Pominville who are consistently 65 point+ players are elite. Now if we want a PPG player, well those only come around in the draft. And you have to have a lottery pick generally. And then not draft Benoit Pouliot with aforementioned lottery pick lol

Old
06-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
I don't either.

Well I mean he hasn't played center since high school. Didn't in the QMJHL and didn't in College or the AHL.

So me either..last time he was a center was when he was drafted...

Old
06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Define "Elite"...

I'd say by certain definition guys like Parise and Pominville who are consistently 65 point+ players are elite. Now if we want a PPG player, well those only come around in the draft. And you have to have a lottery pick generally. And then not draft Benoit Pouliot with aforementioned lottery pick lol
Would probably be measured in standard deviations. There's a handful of players who set themselves apart from the group, usually they are PPG or better.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Would probably be measured in standard deviations. There's a handful of players who set themselves apart from the group, usually they are PPG or better.
Yep understand you fully..Stamkos, Crosby, Tavares, Ovechkin, Malkin, etc..

Almost always a lottery pick. Not too many of those type of guys don't go top 10. Actually I can't think of any other than Datysuk or Giroux..anyone else?

But I think we should be happy we have at least some "after Elite" forwards. I mean only 2 years ago we had Zero. Mikko Koivu and no prospects with potential to be anything. Now we have 2 that certainly seem to be on their way and one that should be trending upward soon to go with our 2 "after Elite" forwards.

Fletch has done a pretty darn good job.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Taylor26

Almost always a lottery pick. Not too many of those type of guys don't go top 10. Actually I can't think of any other than Datysuk or Giroux..anyone else?

Perry, Getzlaf ,Pacioretty, Kesler, Mike Richards, Patrice Bergeron, Loui Erikson even Parise was out of the lottery.

Closed Thread