HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 03:58 PM
  #1
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,228
vCash: 500
Awards:
The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Keep the insanity rolling!

hototogisu is online now  
Old
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
  #2
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Are you talking about in terms of edge over MAF or against those people in general?

If you were to ask me, right now, which goalie is better MAF or Price, I take Carey Price every day of the week and twice on sundays. MAF has a ridiculously way better team in front of him and look how he plays now and in the past too...

Regular season success is great, but when your career playoff stats are .904 and a 2.72 GAA in 79 GP, how can you say he's better than Price


Do you know prices career playoff sv % . I prefer price over fleury, but their numbers are very similar. Pittsburgh also plays run and gun hockey. You used playoff stats for an argument in Price's favor? I've heard it all here now. Thanks for the laughs though.

Defensively the habs are/were better. The area that matters to goalies.

It's funny, LOL at the other guy and claim our guy is top 5, who cares if the numbers are basically even, who cares if the other guy has won a cup and our guy has 1 career series win. "Who cares, I say, our guy is better because I said so"

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
  #3
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Keep the insanity rolling!
Really? We are our own worst enemies...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
  #4
bras meurtris
rise in darkness
 
bras meurtris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 190
vCash: 740
Carey is great, still a young goalie haven't won much yet but I have no problem waiting until he is in is 30s to win a cup.


keep the insanity going indeed..

bras meurtris is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 05:29 PM
  #5
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,818
vCash: 500
Carey Price is our goalie next year. Good luck to him.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
  #6
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Carey Price is our goalie next year. Good luck to him.
Liked

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
  #7
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 500
Gotto love thread ignore!!!! Have at er boys lol

habdynasty is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 12:43 AM
  #8
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Defended Price a lot specially during those Halak Price debates solely based on how young Price was. I don't think his skills where overrated but I think his play was, example some pp, thing he had an amazing first year, when in fact it wasn't as great as his numbered showed, at one point he struggled and was actually sent down to the AHL but still had a good year for a 20-21 year old.

I think in 2010, when Halak took over, Price actually played decent expect it EVERYTHING went wrong when he was in nets, the weirdest goals would be in at the wrong time, weird deflection, bad bounces etc.

The following two years, I think Price played as good as you could ask specially for his age. But this year, specially the 2nd half, it was inexcusable, specially after getting that big contract, which IMO is about 1M more than what he deserves.

Still love Price but he'll be 26 years old starting next tear ,with enough experience in the league that if he doesn't play well there is literally no excuses to make for him.

Just my .02$

habs03 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:15 AM
  #9
Cups
Registered User
 
Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Still think he has it in him, and hope he rebounds next year. My problem was I didn't like the contract Bergevin gave him in terms of dollars...when Quick signed for 5.75 to me there was no reason to turn around and give Price 6.5 based on any reasonable criteria. If you're paying a guy that kind of dough and he performs like he did this season, there's not much of a defense (no pun intended).

Cups is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 04:18 AM
  #10
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
Still think he has it in him, and hope he rebounds next year. My problem was I didn't like the contract Bergevin gave him in terms of dollars...when Quick signed for 5.75 to me there was no reason to turn around and give Price 6.5 based on any reasonable criteria. If you're paying a guy that kind of dough and he performs like he did this season, there's not much of a defense (no pun intended).
This is how I feel as well. I think Price does have the talent that people go on about. I just don't think it has translated to being top 5 in results, or even close for that matter.

I still say the guy is a bit fragile mentally and think that has a lot to do with being brought in at too young of an age on mediocre teams.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:41 AM
  #11
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Carey Price is our goalie next year. Good luck to him.
That's exactly what I've been saying.

If, hopefully not, but if he has an outright bad year next year+playoffs, then we can expect some serious, valid criticism. He still has a lot of rope considering his crap teams, crap coaches and outright crap luck.

I'll be the first to light the torches if he stinks up the place next year but until that happens he's our number 1 and he's young, consistent and we don't have any other options.

I'm tired of these fn threads, the season's over and everything's been said.

WhiskeySeven is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:55 AM
  #12
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,546
vCash: 50
It's a long offseason people, pace yourselves.

Tuggy is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:10 AM
  #13
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: At home
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
Still think he has it in him, and hope he rebounds next year. My problem was I didn't like the contract Bergevin gave him in terms of dollars...when Quick signed for 5.75 to me there was no reason to turn around and give Price 6.5 based on any reasonable criteria. If you're paying a guy that kind of dough and he performs like he did this season, there's not much of a defense (no pun intended).
I feel that Price will be one of the best in the league, but probably not in Montreal. He doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to excel in this market.

But who knows, he did have some really good years here too.

Montreal Typical is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:38 AM
  #14
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It's a long offseason people, pace yourselves.
Not as long as last year's offseason, thankfully. That was really much too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I feel that Price will be one of the best in the league, but probably not in Montreal. He doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to excel in this market.

But who knows, he did have some really good years here too.
Last week in the trade forum an Avalanche fan brought up a trade suggestion involving Price + another piece for Varlamov and Stastny.

Now, with Roy as the Avalanche coach, that's the kind of future I see for Price, whether it's this year, next year or the year after that. To me, anyways, his future doesn't seem to be here, which is too bad because I've always been a big fan of Price.

Frozenice is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:57 AM
  #15
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
It's a long offseason people, pace yourselves.


Cant' wait for the June Draft!!! (end of June?)
And, then...July 1st UFA season!!

For now...we can only be happy that our water in Montreal is safe to drink again! (gulp!).



p.s.: to respect this thread...
I'm a Price fan but even I can admit...it's getting harder and harder to defend him. I just don't want him to **** off to another team and win 1-2 Cups with another team...this is what I'm afraid of!!
He has to win a Cup here!!!
(I'm sinking with the Price-ship if it sinks...! and sailing to paradise if it sails towards it! please let it be paradise!).

Mr. Hab is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:58 AM
  #16
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Not as long as last year's offseason, thankfully. That was really much too much.


Last week in the trade forum an Avalanche fan brought up a trade suggestion involving Price + another piece for Varlamov and Stastny.

Now, with Roy as the Avalanche coach, that's the kind of future I see for Price, whether it's this year, next year or the year after that. To me, anyways, his future doesn't seem to be here, which is too bad because I've always been a big fan of Price.
Price would not be Roy's guy. Nonchalant, a huge question mark between the ears, unreliable when the games matter. Not a player Roy can relate to.

Agnostic is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:17 AM
  #17
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,092
vCash: 500
25 years old.

Fozz is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:25 AM
  #18
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
25 years old.

Yes a crafty argument that has no rebuttal, except maybe.


If the Habs are going to draft players that don't develop until they are the age of 30, why not just acquire a 30 year old and save us the 7 or 8 years of misery.

Agnostic is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
  #19
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 25,610
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I like Carey Price. He is the best goaltender on my favourite NHL team.

Le Tricolore is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:33 AM
  #20
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Are you talking about in terms of edge over MAF or against those people in general?

If you were to ask me, right now, which goalie is better MAF or Price, I take Carey Price every day of the week and twice on sundays. MAF has a ridiculously way better team in front of him and look how he plays now and in the past too...

Regular season success is great, but when your career playoff stats are .904 and a 2.72 GAA in 79 GP, how can you say he's better than Price


Do you know prices career playoff sv % . I prefer price over fleury, but their numbers are very similar. Pittsburgh also plays run and gun hockey. You used playoff stats for an argument in Price's favor? I've heard it all here now. Thanks for the laughs though.

Defensively the habs are/were better. The area that matters to goalies.

It's funny, LOL at the other guy and claim our guy is top 5, who cares if the numbers are basically even, who cares if the other guy has won a cup and our guy has 1 career series win. "Who cares, I say, our guy is better because I said so"
I know what Price's playoff stats and I'm going to use the (I know some of you don't like it, but it's valid) Pittsburgh is 10x better than Montreal rule and given that, I take Price over Fleury, no matter how bad or good Price's stats are. Stats, in some cases can be deceiving. Not saying it is now, but in general it can be. I'm not excusing Price's play last year, especially down the stretch but take some things into account.

1) It was a 48-game season. Price has played at least 65 games since 2010 when he re-took the starting job from Jaro.

2) The defense was just as much to blame for our bad games over the season as Price was, including down the stretch.

As one of the biggest CP31 fanboys out there, I think we can all agree that if Price doesn't play well (like 2010-11 well, both in regular season and POs) then I think we can all agree he can't handle the pressure of playing goal in this city and taking this team to the SC anywhere down the line...

However, I doubt this will be the case (provided the team improves to a certain degree from last year and that our depth continues to build). Without depth, injuries will kill us and we won't be going anywhere near "paradise" as another poster mentioned. We won't even make it out of the dock/shore.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
  #21
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yes a crafty argument that has no rebuttal, except maybe.


If the Habs are going to draft players that don't develop until they are the age of 30, why not just acquire a 30 year old and save us the 7 or 8 years of misery.
Be careful what you ask for.


Frozenice is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:40 AM
  #22
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Yes a crafty argument that has no rebuttal, except maybe.


If the Habs are going to draft players that don't develop until they are the age of 30, why not just acquire a 30 year old and save us the 7 or 8 years of misery.
Crafty, but correct.

I guess some people don't learn but goalies take the longest out of all players to fully develop. To use an example, Tomas Plekanec was only 25 when he started actually putting up good numbers (69 in 81 in 2007-08). Now that is a little late for a forward, but given he was a 3rd round pick, i'll take it. Now with Price being a first round pick, I expect that by this year at the latest, he should be playing in his "prime" and his stats should reflect that. No more defending if last season's stats continue next year, which they hopefully won't.

Also, when you acquire a 30 year old, you pay exponentially more for him than actually drafting him, and you could get lucky and get a few years before the age of 30 of stellar hockey from him (which in most cases does happen, so I don't understand your "age 30" argument, Price is 25...). So why pay more when u could have him for less and get a bonus out of him. 2010-11 season for Price is a bonus for us because his numbers on that ****** team in front of him with all those injuries, I'm actually a little surprised at how well he did. I mean he didn't have as good numbers with Tri-City in his LAST year there. So yeah...

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
  #23
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
25 years old.
I'm a huge Price fan but seriously is that the best you can come up with? Next year you will post he is only 26?

So is Rask and Quick just to name a few, Fleury won a Cup at age 25, Cam Ward etc....

Habs 4 Life is online now  
Old
05-24-2013, 08:05 AM
  #24
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm a huge Price fan but seriously is that the best you can come up with? Next year you will post he is only 26?

So is Rask and Quick just to name a few, Fleury won a Cup at age 25, Cam Ward etc....
Okay so if I'm understanding things correctly:

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins = 2013 Montreal Canadiens?

2006 Carolina Hurricanes = 2013 Montreal Canadiens

2012 Los Angeles Kings = 2013 Montreal Canadiens

and finally

2013 Boston Bruins = 2013 Montreal Canadiens

Right... (that's if they go all the way this year)

Rask won the SC in 2011 as a BACK-UP.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
  #25
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Playoff Accomplishments of Goalies at the time they reached 300 games played in NHL.
Price is the only player in the group not to have 10 or more wins in the playoffs. Boucher, Bryzgalov, Nabokov, Theodore all more successful. Yeah but he's only 25, I'll be glad to show this chart again next year when Price is Only 26


Fleury 38-24 (cup)
J.S. Giguere 31-13 (Cup)
Ward 23-18 ( 6 series wins, Cup)
Miller 22-18 (4 series wins)
Nabokov 18-15 (3 series wins)
Brodeur 31-23 (Cup)
Bryzgalov 12-9 (1 series win)
Anderson 10-11 (1 series win)
Lundqvist 14-16 (2 series wins)
Khabibhulin 10-13
Theodore 11-15 (1 series)
Boucher 21-18 (3 series wins)
Hedberg 10-12 (2 series wins)
Kiprusoff 23-24 (3 series wins)



Price 9-17 (1 series win)

Experience and accomplishment tells the story. Price is nothing special.


Last edited by Agnostic: 05-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Agnostic is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.