HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 03:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

vCash: 500
Awards:
The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Keep the insanity rolling!

Old
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
habsfanatics

Are you talking about in terms of edge over MAF or against those people in general?

If you were to ask me, right now, which goalie is better MAF or Price, I take Carey Price every day of the week and twice on sundays. MAF has a ridiculously way better team in front of him and look how he plays now and in the past too...

Regular season success is great, but when your career playoff stats are .904 and a 2.72 GAA in 79 GP, how can you say he's better than Price

Do you know prices career playoff sv % . I prefer price over fleury, but their numbers are very similar. Pittsburgh also plays run and gun hockey. You used playoff stats for an argument in Price's favor? I've heard it all here now. Thanks for the laughs though.

Defensively the habs are/were better. The area that matters to goalies.

It's funny, LOL at the other guy and claim our guy is top 5, who cares if the numbers are basically even, who cares if the other guy has won a cup and our guy has 1 career series win. "Who cares, I say, our guy is better because I said so"

Old
05-23-2013, 04:25 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Keep the insanity rolling!
Really? We are our own worst enemies...

Old
05-23-2013, 04:30 PM
bras meurtris
rise in darkness

vCash: 740
Carey is great, still a young goalie haven't won much yet but I have no problem waiting until he is in is 30s to win a cup.

keep the insanity going indeed..

Old
05-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Carey Price is our goalie next year. Good luck to him.

Old
05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Liked

Old
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
habdynasty

Gotto love thread ignore!!!! Have at er boys lol

Old
05-24-2013, 12:43 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Defended Price a lot specially during those Halak Price debates solely based on how young Price was. I don't think his skills where overrated but I think his play was, example some pp, thing he had an amazing first year, when in fact it wasn't as great as his numbered showed, at one point he struggled and was actually sent down to the AHL but still had a good year for a 20-21 year old.

I think in 2010, when Halak took over, Price actually played decent expect it EVERYTHING went wrong when he was in nets, the weirdest goals would be in at the wrong time, weird deflection, bad bounces etc.

The following two years, I think Price played as good as you could ask specially for his age. But this year, specially the 2nd half, it was inexcusable, specially after getting that big contract, which IMO is about 1M more than what he deserves.

Still love Price but he'll be 26 years old starting next tear ,with enough experience in the league that if he doesn't play well there is literally no excuses to make for him.

Just my .02$

Old
05-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Cups

Still think he has it in him, and hope he rebounds next year. My problem was I didn't like the contract Bergevin gave him in terms of dollars...when Quick signed for 5.75 to me there was no reason to turn around and give Price 6.5 based on any reasonable criteria. If you're paying a guy that kind of dough and he performs like he did this season, there's not much of a defense (no pun intended).

Old
05-24-2013, 04:18 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
Still think he has it in him, and hope he rebounds next year. My problem was I didn't like the contract Bergevin gave him in terms of dollars...when Quick signed for 5.75 to me there was no reason to turn around and give Price 6.5 based on any reasonable criteria. If you're paying a guy that kind of dough and he performs like he did this season, there's not much of a defense (no pun intended).
This is how I feel as well. I think Price does have the talent that people go on about. I just don't think it has translated to being top 5 in results, or even close for that matter.

I still say the guy is a bit fragile mentally and think that has a lot to do with being brought in at too young of an age on mediocre teams.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:41 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying.

If, hopefully not, but if he has an outright bad year next year+playoffs, then we can expect some serious, valid criticism. He still has a lot of rope considering his crap teams, crap coaches and outright crap luck.

I'll be the first to light the torches if he stinks up the place next year but until that happens he's our number 1 and he's young, consistent and we don't have any other options.

I'm tired of these fn threads, the season's over and everything's been said.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
It's a long offseason people, pace yourselves.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
I feel that Price will be one of the best in the league, but probably not in Montreal. He doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to excel in this market.

But who knows, he did have some really good years here too.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Not as long as last year's offseason, thankfully. That was really much too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I feel that Price will be one of the best in the league, but probably not in Montreal. He doesn't seem to have the mental fortitude to excel in this market.

But who knows, he did have some really good years here too.
Last week in the trade forum an Avalanche fan brought up a trade suggestion involving Price + another piece for Varlamov and Stastny.

Now, with Roy as the Avalanche coach, that's the kind of future I see for Price, whether it's this year, next year or the year after that. To me, anyways, his future doesn't seem to be here, which is too bad because I've always been a big fan of Price.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post

Cant' wait for the June Draft!!! (end of June?)
And, then...July 1st UFA season!!

For now...we can only be happy that our water in Montreal is safe to drink again! (gulp!).

p.s.: to respect this thread...
I'm a Price fan but even I can admit...it's getting harder and harder to defend him. I just don't want him to **** off to another team and win 1-2 Cups with another team...this is what I'm afraid of!!
He has to win a Cup here!!!
(I'm sinking with the Price-ship if it sinks...! and sailing to paradise if it sails towards it! please let it be paradise!).

Old
05-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Not as long as last year's offseason, thankfully. That was really much too much.

Last week in the trade forum an Avalanche fan brought up a trade suggestion involving Price + another piece for Varlamov and Stastny.

Now, with Roy as the Avalanche coach, that's the kind of future I see for Price, whether it's this year, next year or the year after that. To me, anyways, his future doesn't seem to be here, which is too bad because I've always been a big fan of Price.
Price would not be Roy's guy. Nonchalant, a huge question mark between the ears, unreliable when the games matter. Not a player Roy can relate to.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Fozz

25 years old.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
25 years old.

Yes a crafty argument that has no rebuttal, except maybe.

If the Habs are going to draft players that don't develop until they are the age of 30, why not just acquire a 30 year old and save us the 7 or 8 years of misery.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I like Carey Price. He is the best goaltender on my favourite NHL team.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:33 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Are you talking about in terms of edge over MAF or against those people in general?

If you were to ask me, right now, which goalie is better MAF or Price, I take Carey Price every day of the week and twice on sundays. MAF has a ridiculously way better team in front of him and look how he plays now and in the past too...

Regular season success is great, but when your career playoff stats are .904 and a 2.72 GAA in 79 GP, how can you say he's better than Price

Do you know prices career playoff sv % . I prefer price over fleury, but their numbers are very similar. Pittsburgh also plays run and gun hockey. You used playoff stats for an argument in Price's favor? I've heard it all here now. Thanks for the laughs though.

Defensively the habs are/were better. The area that matters to goalies.

It's funny, LOL at the other guy and claim our guy is top 5, who cares if the numbers are basically even, who cares if the other guy has won a cup and our guy has 1 career series win. "Who cares, I say, our guy is better because I said so"
I know what Price's playoff stats and I'm going to use the (I know some of you don't like it, but it's valid) Pittsburgh is 10x better than Montreal rule and given that, I take Price over Fleury, no matter how bad or good Price's stats are. Stats, in some cases can be deceiving. Not saying it is now, but in general it can be. I'm not excusing Price's play last year, especially down the stretch but take some things into account.

1) It was a 48-game season. Price has played at least 65 games since 2010 when he re-took the starting job from Jaro.

2) The defense was just as much to blame for our bad games over the season as Price was, including down the stretch.

As one of the biggest CP31 fanboys out there, I think we can all agree that if Price doesn't play well (like 2010-11 well, both in regular season and POs) then I think we can all agree he can't handle the pressure of playing goal in this city and taking this team to the SC anywhere down the line...

However, I doubt this will be the case (provided the team improves to a certain degree from last year and that our depth continues to build). Without depth, injuries will kill us and we won't be going anywhere near "paradise" as another poster mentioned. We won't even make it out of the dock/shore.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

If the Habs are going to draft players that don't develop until they are the age of 30, why not just acquire a 30 year old and save us the 7 or 8 years of misery.
Be careful what you ask for.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:40 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

Crafty, but correct.

I guess some people don't learn but goalies take the longest out of all players to fully develop. To use an example, Tomas Plekanec was only 25 when he started actually putting up good numbers (69 in 81 in 2007-08). Now that is a little late for a forward, but given he was a 3rd round pick, i'll take it. Now with Price being a first round pick, I expect that by this year at the latest, he should be playing in his "prime" and his stats should reflect that. No more defending if last season's stats continue next year, which they hopefully won't.

Also, when you acquire a 30 year old, you pay exponentially more for him than actually drafting him, and you could get lucky and get a few years before the age of 30 of stellar hockey from him (which in most cases does happen, so I don't understand your "age 30" argument, Price is 25...). So why pay more when u could have him for less and get a bonus out of him. 2010-11 season for Price is a bonus for us because his numbers on that ****** team in front of him with all those injuries, I'm actually a little surprised at how well he did. I mean he didn't have as good numbers with Tri-City in his LAST year there. So yeah...

Old
05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
25 years old.
I'm a huge Price fan but seriously is that the best you can come up with? Next year you will post he is only 26?

So is Rask and Quick just to name a few, Fleury won a Cup at age 25, Cam Ward etc....

Old
05-24-2013, 08:05 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'm a huge Price fan but seriously is that the best you can come up with? Next year you will post he is only 26?

So is Rask and Quick just to name a few, Fleury won a Cup at age 25, Cam Ward etc....
Okay so if I'm understanding things correctly:

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins = 2013 Montreal Canadiens?

2006 Carolina Hurricanes = 2013 Montreal Canadiens

2012 Los Angeles Kings = 2013 Montreal Canadiens

and finally

2013 Boston Bruins = 2013 Montreal Canadiens

Right... (that's if they go all the way this year)

Rask won the SC in 2011 as a BACK-UP.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Playoff Accomplishments of Goalies at the time they reached 300 games played in NHL.
Price is the only player in the group not to have 10 or more wins in the playoffs. Boucher, Bryzgalov, Nabokov, Theodore all more successful. Yeah but he's only 25, I'll be glad to show this chart again next year when Price is Only 26

Fleury 38-24 (cup)
J.S. Giguere 31-13 (Cup)
Ward 23-18 ( 6 series wins, Cup)
Miller 22-18 (4 series wins)
Nabokov 18-15 (3 series wins)
Brodeur 31-23 (Cup)
Bryzgalov 12-9 (1 series win)
Anderson 10-11 (1 series win)
Lundqvist 14-16 (2 series wins)
Khabibhulin 10-13
Theodore 11-15 (1 series)
Boucher 21-18 (3 series wins)
Hedberg 10-12 (2 series wins)
Kiprusoff 23-24 (3 series wins)

Price 9-17 (1 series win)

Experience and accomplishment tells the story. Price is nothing special.

Last edited by Agnostic: 05-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Closed Thread