HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part 4: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The below average skating and defensive ability is scary.
Neither should be considered "below average" at this stage. That's pre-2012-2013 talk.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Neither should be considered "below average" at this stage. That's pre-2012-2013 talk.
Huh? You can pretty much say that about every single player that will be drafted then. Every player has some kind of flaw or two and Pulocks is skating and defense. From what I read, the skating part is a huge reason for his poor defense. He has a difficult time keeping up with players that can skate decently well.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:50 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that wants no part of Valeri Nichushkin? It's not the Russian factor because he said he wants to come to NA, but his numbers are just underwhelming. 7 points in the U18s is decent, but that was just 4th among Russian forwards. 2 points in 6 games in the WJC is nothing spectacular. 6 points in 18 KHL games is decent. 8 points in 9 MHL games(the league below the KHL) is nothing spectacular either. There have been a number of guys that put up far over a PPG in their draft year in the MHL and had impressive U18s, and did not receive nearly the hype that he's getting. Is a couple inches and size really that special? I don't think so.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:57 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Huh? You can pretty much say that about every single player that will be drafted then. Every player has some kind of flaw or two and Pulocks is skating and defense. From what I read, the skating part is a huge reason for his poor defense. He has a difficult time keeping up with players that can skate decently well.
I dunno, I haven't read much negativity on Pulock on the skating or D front, and I can see in videos, that he can skate well...

Here's some recent excerpts from observers/independent scouts:

"Pulock is an above average skater with good mobility on the blue line. He has a very good skating stride and good top end speed, both forwards and backwards. His edgework, pivots and agility are excellent, allowing him to easily cover a lot of ice, and quickly change directions to react and keep the play in front of him. He has solid balance and is difficult to knock off the puck."

"Defensively, Pulock uses his good hockey sense and strong positioning and has really improved his defensive game over the last two years. He keeps his opponent to the outside off the rush and is rarely beaten one on one."

- Ben Kerr

""Ryan projects to be a future powerplay quarterback and all-around effective blueliner. He generates offense though good decision making, accurate passing and effectively utilizing his booming shot. He has a low panic threshold, high awareness and makes good on opportunities as the circumstances allow."

Pulock is an unflappable defender. Although he could stand do be more physical, he has grown the defensive side of his game as a positionally sound defenseman who anticipates the play very well and utilizes a good stick to break up plays. His skating allows him top notch recoverability should he get caught pinching in on the play."

- Christopher Ralph

Here's a profile with that, vids and more on Pulock.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thr...07798#10707798

Old
05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Am I the only one that wants no part of Valeri Nichushkin? It's not the Russian factor because he said he wants to come to NA, but his numbers are just underwhelming. 7 points in the U18s is decent, but that was just 4th among Russian forwards. 2 points in 6 games in the WJC is nothing spectacular. 6 points in 18 KHL games is decent. 8 points in 9 MHL games(the league below the KHL) is nothing spectacular either. There have been a number of guys that put up far over a PPG in their draft year in the MHL and had impressive U18s, and did not receive nearly the hype that he's getting. Is a couple inches and size really that special? I don't think so.
He has very good speed and lots of raw talent. His growth spurt really added to his stock. I do see him as a bit of a risk as a top 10, at #11 it would be pretty tempting, especially if it was known for sure that he would make the move to North America sooner than later.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:08 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
He has very good speed and lots of raw talent. His growth spurt really added to his stock. I do see him as a bit of a risk as a top 10, at #11 it would be pretty tempting, especially if it was known for sure that he would make the move to North America sooner than later.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ica-next-year/

Quote:
Valeri Nichushkin, the top-ranked Russian for the 2013 NHL Draft and No. 2 European prospect overall, says hell be playing in North America for the 2013-14 season.

Ive already decided to leave for the NHL, the 6-foot-3, 201-pound winger told Russian media outlet R-Sport. I was told I could leave if I want.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I have watched Pulock play probably more than any other draft eligible prospect (the London boys are close). His evolution has definitely not been as dramatic as some other prospects. Before this season, I would have agreed that Pulock's skating was below average, but he's made tremendous strides this season and I really don't see it as a weakness nor below average. Certainly not a weakness to the degree it was for Couturier imo, which is good, because skating is obviously a big part of playing defense.

As far as being a defensive liability, I really never saw that even last season. I think this is a case of a player being provided the "offensive defenseman" moniker and that can often intrinsically suggest his defense is bad. It's not. Pulock plays with a solid hockey I.Q., shows very solid fundamentals and physicality, and has a good transition and puckhandling game. His strength is certainly is cannon of shot, but don't presume that he'll be a defensive liability. Someone earlier in this thread compared him to Ryan Suter and I think that's appropriate. Button uses Al MacInnis. Others have said Rob Blake. I really don't see the later two, but the former probably is appropriate with good development.

There was a good thread here on HF where people were comparing Pulock and Morgan Rielly. While people's preferences were back and forth, the consenus said that Rielly was the more dynamic offensive puckhandler, while Pulock was more reliable in his own end, bit more physical (while not being highly physical overall), a solid puck distributor with good long distance passing ability and a monster shot.

EDIT: Found the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Shea Weber's kind of offense (great first pass with a booming shot) [Pulock] vs Niedermayer's puck rushing and QB game [Rielly]?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Essentially, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
Agree on the style...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1300375

Old
05-23-2013, 11:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Stats aren't everything man. ISS bumped him up to #2 after his performance at U18's. He was pretty good at the WJC's despite not getting top 6 minutes. He also looked good at the Subway Series.

Ovechkin - 53GP 24PTS
Malkin - 34GP 12PTS

Their stats during their draft years.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:20 AM
Jtown

Pulock is not what we need. We need an all situations heavy minutes type Dman. The only guy i really see fitting that bill is Nurse.

I think if we trade our 2nd and move up to 8th we can secure nurse. I really wonder if we should do that. I think he is exactly what we need, a more physical coburn type. Maybe his shot sucks but skating and physicality are the most important assets of a dman and he possesses those in great quantity.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:59 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Pulock is not what we need. We need an all situations heavy minutes type Dman. The only guy i really see fitting that bill is Nurse.

I think if we trade our 2nd and move up to 8th we can secure nurse. I really wonder if we should do that. I think he is exactly what we need, a more physical coburn type. Maybe his shot sucks but skating and physicality are the most important assets of a dman and he possesses those in great quantity.
Yes, this is what we need in general.

But we probably won't get such type of player at 11th overall. And even if we get him, he won't be ready to play those heavy duty minutes any earlier than 3-5 years from now.
Therefore I'm fine with taking Pulock to fit another need (high scoring, heavy shot offensive defenseman) while replacing Timonen via trade or OS.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:13 AM
DecadesofFutility

I think Pulock is what this defense needs : a offensively minded defenseman.
Since the loss of Carle, this defense has struggled to move the puck out of its zone.
We can not score offensively because we play in our own zone too much.

Pulock may not be the fastest skater but, he has offensive ability and thats what our defense lacks.
Josh Morrisey would be a good backup option if Pulock is gone at 11.

We have shot blocking and toughness, but skill we lack.
Mezzaros will never be healthy enough to last a full season we need to replace him.
And Coburn is not an offensive defenseman.

Other teams value offensive minded defensemen why we don't mystifies me.
We do not need more defensive defensemen, and you do not need to pick one in the first round anyway.

The win now mentallity of this franchise has forced us to trade away depth, for stay at home- two way defensemen.
I would rather try to draft a PMD than keep trading top line forwards and picks for them.

We need a change in philosophy to compete in todays NHL.
To constantly think BPA when we are stocked with top end centerman
and have no top end or offensive defenseman developing is just insane.

Last edited by DecadesofFutility: 05-24-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old
05-24-2013, 06:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I know people will say "Button's a fool", but he talks about putting player's in tiers all the time and he has a lot more experience in a draft room than any of us ever will.
Oh for sure. I'm not saying unequivocally that the organizations don't do it that way, I just think it is more likely the way I described. I could be 100% wrong. Either way, I don't think the Flyers should draft a center over a defender at #11 unless all of the defenders they wanted at #11 are gone. Drafting to fill an organizational need is not a per se bad pick. Reaching to fill an organizational need is when you get burned. If you have the #2 pick you don't take Ristolainen when Nate MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin are available. If you have the #11 pick and Lindholm is available, Ristolainen wouldn't be a bad pick for a team that is overflowing with center prospects as it is, and in desperate need of defensive prospects.

Old
05-24-2013, 06:32 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Heres the thing then, if Pulock is supposidly great it everything, why isnt he considered a top5 let alone top 10 pick? Seems like something is wrong. On phone so will need to find the links but i also read scouting reports talking about his skating and defense.

People seem to be in love with his shot which is fine. But gotta be careful hes not another foster in that sense

Old
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post

Jones, Nurse and Ristolainen all fit the bill of strong, physical two-way defenders and that's likely why all 3 will likely be gone before we select. I am opposed to moving up into the top 8 just to pick Nurse, because frankly I don't see his game being that much of a guarantee to warrant giving up the type of talent that will still be there in the 2nd round this year in an incredibly deep draft. Yes, I like all 3 of those players more than Pulock, but not enough to give up a Morin, etc type along side it.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Heres the thing then, if Pulock is supposidly great it everything, why isnt he considered a top5 let alone top 10 pick? Seems like something is wrong. On phone so will need to find the links but i also read scouting reports talking about his skating and defense.

People seem to be in love with his shot which is fine. But gotta be careful hes not another foster in that sense
There's a big difference between being great at everything and something not being a weakness or "below average". I hope you understand that.

Pulock's skating isn't world class. It's not Coburn good. It's better than Schenn's though imo and probably comparable to Timmonen or Suter.

Also, one thing to note. ALL of these players have flaws in their game. Even the second coming Seth Jones isn't where he needs to be to win a Norris Trophy. These players are drafted based on tools and upside. A player like Seth Jones gets taken number 1 because he has 4-5 tools that are ++, 2-3 more than are + and a few that are average. A player like Pulock gets taken 11th or later because he has 1-2 tools that are ++, 1-2 that are +, a few that are average, and maybe 1 that's a - that needs to improve to play in the NHL.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:48 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
There's a big difference between being great at everything and something not being a weakness or "below average". I hope you understand that.

Pulock's skating isn't world class. It's not Coburn good. It's better than Schenn's though imo and probably comparable to Timmonen or Suter.

Also, one thing to note. ALL of these players have flaws in their game. Even the second coming Seth Jones isn't where he needs to be to win a Norris Trophy. These players are drafted based on tools and upside. A player like Seth Jones gets taken number 1 because he has 4-5 tools that are ++, 2-3 more than are + and a few that are average. A player like Pulock gets taken 11th or later because he has 1-2 tools that are ++, 1-2 that are +, a few that are average, and maybe 1 that's a - that needs to improve to play in the NHL.
Thats EXACTLY what im saying. Every player had flaws but certain ones are more crucial than others. Timonen skating? Thats fairly good then. But thats what im saying. I dont i agree with that with what i read. An offensive defenseman with iffy skating isnt something Id want. Like we already have discussed, you like his skating while others i read dont. To eah their own.

In the end hes the 6th defender id take. Id take jones, Nurse, Risto, Zadorov and Morressey over him

Old
05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Pulocks skating isn't THAT bad. It's about average. The things is 1, there are a lot of defenseman who are average skaters that have learned to cover that up through good positioning. (The above poster mentioned Timonen and Suter, who are good examples) Pulock has great hockey IQ, which is invaluable at the NHL level when trying to adapt and change to your surroundings.
2, the kid is still 18. He has time to get stronger and faster. He's not really slow, and I believe that some rigorous explosion and acceleration training could work wonders for him.

I like Pulock a lot and if Nurse and Ristolainen are off the board when we pick, I'd take him over any other defenseman in the draft.

Jones
Nurse
Ristolainen
Pulock
Morrissey
Zadorov
Theodore

Old
05-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I dont i agree with that with what i read.
What are you reading? When is it from? Who is it from? And have you actually seen the player play or are you basing your entire evaluation off some blogger on the internet?

Most of the scouting sites even call Pulock a two-way player and don't suggest his skating is a liability. I feel like this stuff has just gotten way out of proportion with people repeating one person's perspective without ever having seen the player play.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:28 AM
kjbhockey

I really like what I see from this Morrissey kid. He's pretty dynamic and not afraid to take the body. I believe he's about 6-1, 185 but he'll fill out to about 200 or so. I think he is solid two-way defensemen with a little edge to him. I think Pulock is too one-dimensional. He's got a nasty shot but a huge wind up. He'll need to shorten that a bit if he wants to get shots off in time.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:37 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbhockey View Post
I really like what I see from this Morrissey kid. He's pretty dynamic and not afraid to take the body. I believe he's about 6-1, 185 but he'll fill out to about 200 or so. I think he is solid two-way defensemen with a little edge to him. I think Pulock is too one-dimensional. He's got a nasty shot but a huge wind up. He'll need to shorten that a bit if he wants to get shots off in time.
I agree. Big slapshots have really diminished in usefulness. Players are quicker now. You don't have time for windups. I was listening to an interview with John LeClair where he was discussing this (after his big shot was discussed). You need a quick slapshot with little wind up or nasty wristers to get effective shots on net.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
I think Pulock is what this defense needs : a offensively minded defenseman.
Since the loss of Carle, this defense has struggled to move the puck out of its zone.
We can not score offensively because we play in our own zone too much.

Pulock may not be the fastest skater but, he has offensive ability and thats what our defense lacks.
Josh Morrisey would be a good backup option if Pulock is gone at 11.

We have shot blocking and toughness, but skill we lack.
Mezzaros will never be healthy enough to last a full season we need to replace him.
And Coburn is not an offensive defenseman.

Other teams value offensive minded defensemen why we don't mystifies me.
We do not need more defensive defensemen, and you do not need to pick one in the first round anyway.

The win now mentallity of this franchise has forced us to trade away depth, for stay at home- two way defensemen.
I would rather try to draft a PMD than keep trading top line forwards and picks for them.

We need a change in philosophy to compete in todays NHL.
To constantly think BPA when we are stocked with top end centerman
and have no top end or offensive defenseman developing is just insane.
I agree the team needs more high quality offensive defensemen types to complement the existing mix. Keeping in mind that it's likely to be at least a year or two before they can help the big club, Pulock and Morrissey probably would probably fit the bill...Nurse had a really impressive jump in production this season and also has other tools those guys don't but he's less likely to be there at 11. Zadorov has excellent mobility at his size, makes good first passes, and can join the play offensively...though his offensive game isn't as developed yet, he still put up some decent production and I look for that to increase substantially next season.

Also, I wouldn't say losing Carle is the reason the team has had issues in getting the puck out/transitioning from the defensive zone. First of all, Carle isn't the type of physical defender who can routinely win battles for pucks along the wall to help get it out... nor is he the type of player who carries the puck out of the zone himself, like a Timonen, Pronger, Doughty, Karlsson, etc. Carle, despite the occasional stretch pass attempt, typically makes a short d to d pass or a basic outlet from the defensive zone. This isn't anything special and the players we have now can do that just fine. Also, the issue of not getting the puck out was present with Carle here last season. The problem has more to do with the lack of forwards supporting the puck imo. With that said, if we can add a more dynamic puck carrying type (like those I mentioned or say, a Keith Yandle), it would certainly help mitigate the problem...but either way, the forwards need to be diligent in getting back to support their defensemen to help win puck battles and help transition the puck, whether through getting open for passes (without a large gap with opponents in between) or carrying the puck (by the more skilled players).

Old
05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Morrissey's the guy I want the Flyers to draft too. I've given an extensive write up on him as to why he'd be a good fit for the Flyers.

As for Pulock, the reports of him being an average skater simply aren't true. He is an above average skater. He's not a burner, but he's not a bad skater by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say he's more along the lines of a Rob Blake-type of skater (Blake was no burner either, but he wasn't a slouch).

My issue with Pulock is that he's a recent convert to defense (having switched to the defense as a 15 year old) and that he's a late '94 birth year. If he were a '95 birth year for this draft, no problem. He's only going to get one chance to play at the WJC tournament and he's pretty close to reaching his physical capacity as to what he's going to end up being. Morrissey, on the other hand, just turned 18, so he's still got another year and change left of growing. Right now, Morrissey is 6'0.75" tall. You're looking at a guy who can possibly top out at around 6'2. He's also a solid 190 pounds right now and will probably top out at 210 - 215 pounds. The other thing about Morrissey is that he is an exceptional skater (he's probably the best skating defenseman in the draft) and he has a fantastic offensive game. On top of it, his shot, while a step below Pulock's, will get better when he adds more weight to his frame.

Personally, there's more upside to drafting Morrissey than there is with Pulock. Pulock pretty much is a what you see is what you get kind of player while Morrissey has the chance to become something above and beyond what he currently is.

Now, that's just my take on things. However, as much as this team needs a defenseman, my gut tells me that after reading Anthony San Filippo's article (http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671200), the team is probably going to draft yet another forward with the first choice.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Nurse is so overrated. I dont want another Coburn, soembody with no hockey IQ and even less offensive ability.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
fauxflex

Quote:

I don't think his slap shot is all he's got in the toolbox...one amateur scout notes:

"He (Pulock) also understands the importance of getting the puck on net, and is able to utilize a good wrist shot and quick release when teams try to take away his big bomb. On the rush, he has decent stickhandling and can be the lead man with the puck or can join the attack as the trailer, ready to unleash his rocket slapper or that very good wrist shot." - Ben Kerr

Also, in my own video reviews I've seen him wind up for that slapper, recognize that a defender is positioning to block, then adjust by laying off the shot and moving laterally to find a lane for the slap or wrister, or I've seen him stickhandle around that defender and get closer to the net before unleashing a wrister.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Morrissey's the guy I want the Flyers to draft too. I've given an extensive write up on him as to why he'd be a good fit for the Flyers.

As for Pulock, the reports of him being an average skater simply aren't true. He is an above average skater. He's not a burner, but he's not a bad skater by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say he's more along the lines of a Rob Blake-type of skater (Blake was no burner either, but he wasn't a slouch).

My issue with Pulock is that he's a recent convert to defense (having switched to the defense as a 15 year old) and that he's a late '94 birth year. If he were a '95 birth year for this draft, no problem. He's only going to get one chance to play at the WJC tournament and he's pretty close to reaching his physical capacity as to what he's going to end up being. Morrissey, on the other hand, just turned 18, so he's still got another year and change left of growing. Right now, Morrissey is 6'0.75" tall. You're looking at a guy who can possibly top out at around 6'2. He's also a solid 190 pounds right now and will probably top out at 210 - 215 pounds. The other thing about Morrissey is that he is an exceptional skater (he's probably the best skating defenseman in the draft) and he has a fantastic offensive game. On top of it, his shot, while a step below Pulock's, will get better when he adds more weight to his frame.

Personally, there's more upside to drafting Morrissey than there is with Pulock. Pulock pretty much is a what you see is what you get kind of player while Morrissey has the chance to become something above and beyond what he currently is.

Now, that's just my take on things. However, as much as this team needs a defenseman, my gut tells me that after reading Anthony San Filippo's article (http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671200), the team is probably going to draft yet another forward with the first choice.
After reading the article it sound like they'll take a defenseman unless a forward drops.

Also intrigued by Morrissey after your write-up.

Closed Thread