HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Yankee playoff thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
  #26
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
When a guy who did steroids and is batting .250 on the year starts opening his mouth, I really have to question who the "bad guy" is in these situations.
While I agree on some levels, I disagree on another. There was lots of buzz inside the Yankees lockerrom regarding ARod being satisfied with simply getting on base during the Red Sox series. Giambi was the mouthpiece of what was the general concensus. You can't damm him for stating what most on the team wanted him to say. A more telling issue is that Jeter is seeming to want to distance himself from anything ARod related.

Arod is a great, great player. However, he has a penchanse for hitting the 3 run homer against the Royals in June, as opposed to against the Red Sox in September. His numbers with runners in scoring position, two outs, and his team either ahead by 3 or behind by 3 runs are simply hideous.

The sad thing is that his post-season problems and other "clutch" situations really started coming to be when he got to NY. He had no such issues in Seattle (remember how he punished the Yankees in the playoffs) and Texas (he was the only one getting 2-out hits). Arod's biggest problem may simply be that he is not equiped to handle everything that comes with being on the biggest team in the USA, and 2nd only to Man U world-wide.

That and his mouth. His "People hate me becuase I am beautifull" comments rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way. So too did his throwing Moose & Giambi under the bus. We are not talking about simply fans here. Those comments resonated with other teams, the media & were not well-recieved inside the Yankee clubhouse.
Quote:
Go Yankees and go ARod.
Could not agree more.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 11:41 AM
  #27
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
While I agree on some levels, I disagree on another. There was lots of buzz inside the Yankees lockerrom regarding ARod being satisfied with simply getting on base during the Red Sox series. Giambi was the mouthpiece of what was the general concensus. You can't damm him for stating what most on the team wanted him to say. A more telling issue is that Jeter is seeming to want to distance himself from anything ARod related.
I love Jeter, but Jeter has a knack for distancing himself from anything that might hurt his marketability. Whether it's ARod, Giambi, Bernie, whatever, Jeter distances himself whenever there is an issue.

Maybe it's my general feelings towards reporters (with sports reporters amongst the worst) that really impacts my view.

ARod in my opinion got on base and played good. He hit more homers than anyone outside of Giambi, more RBI's and frankly for anyone else that would be a career year.

To be honest with you, even if it was the concensus, I have to question from who? Giambi? Sheffield? Let's take a look at some of the sources here.

What gets forgotten in all of this is that Giambi isn't exactly making a lot less money than ARod despite hitting about 40 points lower and doding the question about actually CHEATING.

Quote:
Arod is a great, great player. However, he has a penchanse for hitting the 3 run homer against the Royals in June, as opposed to against the Red Sox in September. His numbers with runners in scoring position, two outs, and his team either ahead by 3 or behind by 3 runs are simply hideous.
Personally I don't think it was very bad, that much has mentioned repeatedly in articles that actually take an objective stance to the situation. The problem is that everyone wants a HR in those situations. ARod could get crap for a hit and it not being a HR while other guys can go 0-5. I remember reading an article during the first series that talked about how no one noticed Jeter went 0-5 in the game.

THAT is what I have a problem with. And frankly is it's so bad I'd like to see who they'll get to play third.

Quote:
The sad thing is that his post-season problems and other "clutch" situations really started coming to be when he got to NY. He had no such issues in Seattle (remember how he punished the Yankees in the playoffs) and Texas (he was the only one getting 2-out hits). Arod's biggest problem may simply be that he is not equiped to handle everything that comes with being on the biggest team in the USA, and 2nd only to Man U world-wide.
Thing is I don't even think he's not clutch, it's that EVERY situation has gone under a magnifying glass like no player I've seen in recent memory. Unfortunatly with Yankee fans this is a reoccurance and you could write a long list of players who they've taken this approach to. Sometimes I don't think NY'ers get that aggressivness does not always serve as a motivater to people. They like to provoke and poke and poke and then when someone finally snaps back they are actually annoyed. Sadly I see it in business, sports and life in general. It's unfortunatly why NY gets treated the way it does and often unfairly.

For all the talk about how he can't handle clutch, most of it comes from one series, last year against the Angels. And let's be honest that series fell apart when the Yankees couldn't win a game unless they scored 9 runs (like most of the season) and two outfielders collided.

I don't think it's ARod not being able to handle NY or the Yankees. He's the only AL MVP the team has produced since Reaganomics were in style and Back to the Future was a blockbuster. Average his 3 year totals out and he's aveg. .300, 40 HR's and 20 SB's. The guy can play, the problem is that EVERY little thing he does is examined, reexamined, manipulated into 1000 different stats and questioned. It's relentless and frankly there's few people on this planet that could handle it.


Quote:
That and his mouth. His "People hate me becuase I am beautifull" comments rubbed A LOT of people the wrong way. So too did his throwing Moose & Giambi under the bus. We are not talking about simply fans here. Those comments resonated with other teams, the media & were not well-recieved inside the Yankee clubhouse.
The guy got pissed and said something he shouldn't have. When all is said and done he's still got a better track record than you or me.

If that's the biggest deal with ARod than we're pretty damn lucky. No drugs or steroids (Giambi), no late night partying (Jeter), no alcoholism (Mantle), not a recluse who isolates his teammates (DiMaggio), not a huge jerk (Jackson) not a shell of his former self (Mattingly). Only with the Yankees could their ever be a complaint about the guy.

Thbe people he "threw under the bus" threw him under the bus way before that. Long before ARod said a word Mussina opened his mouth. Did ARod make comments
when Mussina's ERA the last two seasons was up around 4.5 a game?

Did ARod make a comment when Giambi couldn't even flat out say he cheated and took steroids?

But now because Mussina has finally turned back the clock he's an expert?

How about Sheffield last year commenting that it was he and not Jeter or Arod who was driving the bus?

How about the money some guys on the pitching staff are making while having an ERA around 5?

The egos in that locker room are exactly why this isn't the start of a new Yankee dynasty. I'm not surprised their are comments.

I just think it's a bit much and overblown at this point. ARod is a human being and nothing short of 70 HR's and hitting .375 is going to do for a lot of people.

The guy just hit .290 with 35 HR's and 121 RBI in what was a nightmare of a season.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
  #28
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,029
vCash: 500
edge my friend, i couldnt have articulated it better myself.

i for one agree 100%, on my yankees blog ive commented time and again how unfairly a-rod is being treated by the media, but you have to be damn proud of the constant ovations and cheers he was getting last night.

the yankee fans are classy
the yankee media....not so much.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
  #29
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
ARod in my opinion got on base and played good. He hit more homers than anyone outside of Giambi, more RBI's and frankly for anyone else that would be a career year.
I cannot argue with that. However, perception is reality. And the perception is that the sole time ARod (in the regular season or otherwise) came through in the "clutch" is against the Twins in the playoffs and the first 3 games of the fated 'Sox series.
Quote:
To be honest with you, even if it was the concensus, I have to question from who? Giambi? Sheffield? Let's take a look at some of the sources here.
If you are asking me, I have absolutely no idea. All I know is the comments regarding the "consensus". As to whom the idviduals were, you can probably guess them, just as well as I can.
Quote:
The problem is that everyone wants a HR in those situations. ARod could get crap for a hit and it not being a HR while other guys can go 0-5. I remember reading an article during the first series that talked about how no one noticed Jeter went 0-5 in the game.
Quote:
Thing is I don't even think he's not clutch, it's that EVERY situation has gone under a magnifying glass like no player I've seen in recent memory.
That is also true.
While the latter is true, the former I do not agree with. At least not from my perspective. People wanted an RBI (or so I think) not necessarily a homer run.
Quote:
I don't think it's ARod not being able to handle NY or the Yankees. He's the only AL MVP the team has produced since Reaganomics were in style and Back to the Future was a blockbuster.
Now that made me laugh, as I was a fan of both.
Quote:
The guy got pissed and said something he shouldn't have. When all is said and done he's still got a better track record than you or me.
No denying that, but teammates are always going to **** an eyebrow when someone decides to bring in other names.
Quote:
But now because Mussina has finally turned back the clock he's an expert?
The problem is that THIS year, it is not Mussina making headlines, but Arod. And frequently for all the wrong reasons.
Quote:
How about Sheffield last year commenting that it was he and not Jeter or Arod who was driving the bus?

How about the money some guys on the pitching staff are making while having an ERA around 5?

The egos in that locker room are exactly why this isn't the start of a new Yankee dynasty. I'm not surprised their are comments.
Can't really argue with that, as those are some of the reasons why the people you are talking about will not be back with the team, no matter what happens or how they perform in the postseason.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 01:38 PM
  #30
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
And I don't disagree with anything you've actually said on the subject TB, I just don't think it's right.

Now obviously regardless of what I think, it's there, but that's my feelings on the subject.

When all is said and done ARod isn't a bad guy or a bad player and I feel like he's being branded both.

This is a guy who is involved in the community, doesn't cheat, plays the game the way it should be done and is always willing to accomodate the media.

Makes me wonder if DiMaggio or Mantle ever would have survived being a Yankee nowadays.

But I think what we' ve talked about is a perfect example. "The fans would've wanted an RBI". Well they got about 121 of them this year and have gotten about 250 over the last two years. And that was without a guy like Sheffield or Matsui in the lineup.

The whole thing really just bothers me on a deeper level. I like ARod I think the guy is a pretty consistent MVP candidate and up until this year could've easily won two gold gloves at third. If people backed off I don't think it's far fetched to say you have a .310, 45 HR, 20 SB, MVP Gold Glove winning third baseman on your team and hopefully add on (after this season) that he also has a World Series ring.

The things with ARod are so minor and I can't fault him on some of the "shouldn't have said that" moments. Anyone else on that team would've cracked long before him including a guy like Giambi who got unnerved by being boo'd. He of all people should know what it's like to be ditched my teammates and under the microscope. But this afterall the same guy who makes an *** out of himself whenever he comes out to Pure here in Vegas so maybe my expectations are too high.

I just hope ARod can play in peace in NY, go into the Hall a Yankee with Jeter and win about 4 championships before all is said and done.

For some reason, the way he is treated genuinly bothers me.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
  #31
Jade
Registered User
 
Jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: Thailand
Posts: 2,918
vCash: 500
Is the game only on YES tonight?

Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
  #32
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
Is the game only on YES tonight?
ESPN. YES, like SNY, does not get coverage of the postseason games.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 06:58 PM
  #33
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Game 2 tonight. Mussina and Verlander. Should be a good one.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
  #34
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
What is going on? They said weather delay but it's not even drizzling here in Brooklyn. Weather.com also says it won't start until 9 PM..weird

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
  #35
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
What is going on? They said weather delay but it's not even drizzling here in Brooklyn. Weather.com also says it won't start until 9 PM..weird
I dont think they want to start the game, and then have to go into a rain delay, and screw up the pitchers...especially in a playoff game. So they must feel its better to delay it now and wait this whole thing out

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
  #36
NYR2
Registered User
 
NYR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Mother $#@%# rain.

NYR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 07:37 PM
  #37
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I dont think they want to start the game, and then have to go into a rain delay, and screw up the pitchers...especially in a playoff game. So they must feel its better to delay it now and wait this whole thing out
Good point, it just seemed strange to see the tarp on the field with no rain although I think it started up there.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 08:26 PM
  #38
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
This rain sucks...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2006, 09:16 PM
  #39
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,348
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
postponed. mlb played it way too safe. i go to college in the bronx and theres been a light rain since 8. they could have played the game

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:49 AM
  #40
303Joe
Registered User
 
303Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
MLB played it safe as said earlier they didn't want to lose the starting pitchers for both teams. However I think they could have started on time and play through the 1st rain delay which would have brought them to atleast 10:30 which would have gotten them about 7 innings. At that point if there is a delay chances are both teams would have been going to the bullpens. Go w/ the rain delay and come back w/ the pen and everything is fine. Oh well they called no big deal unless you were on of the 54,000 lucky enough to get your hands on some squats for the game. Should be many unused tickets for the game today just can't see all those people getting off in a short period of time. I'm bringing a change of clothes w/ me to work hopefully I get a call along the line from someone who can't make it and needs someone to go.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:25 AM
  #41
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
The funny thing is that

Verlander is up in arms, claiming a consipiracy. This is becuase the Tigers went out to warm up and he threw some warm-up pitches. Now I understand that he is trying to fire up his team with the "us against the world" attititude. But if he is indeed serious, the question of his intelligence (or that of any Tiger) needs to be questions. If the Tigers are out there warming up, didn't it appear strange that NONE of the Yankees were in the dugout or anywhere out on the field?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 09:20 AM
  #42
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Verlander is up in arms, claiming a consipiracy. This is becuase the Tigers went out to warm up and he threw some warm-up pitches. Now I understand that he is trying to fire up his team with the "us against the world" attititude. But if he is indeed serious, the question of his intelligence (or that of any Tiger) needs to be questions. If the Tigers are out there warming up, didn't it appear strange that NONE of the Yankees were in the dugout or anywhere out on the field?
I would think this whole rain thing would favor the Tigers... anything out of the ordinary in Yankee stadium is a good thing for the opposition. Especially with Moose on the mound. The guy is picky as hell and gets wound up for these games and a little nutty... By 930 i was wishing they would just cancel the damn thing because of this.

Now the fact that Verlander thinks its a conspiracy just blew any chance of Tigers getting something out of this, cause you know the Yankees are just shaking their heads, now wanting to blast him even more at the plate.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:26 PM
  #43
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
What'd be nice is... if all these "hall of fame bats" would actually do something.

Way to go A-Rod, Sheff, and Cano...

Now, can we get Melky back into this lineup already?

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:49 PM
  #44
Korpido
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
What'd be nice is... if all these "hall of fame bats" would actually do something.

Way to go A-Rod, Sheff, and Cano...

Now, can we get Melky back into this lineup already?
Sheff needs to be dropped from the 4 spot.

Zumaya hit 103 like 6 times today


yankees have a collective .365 average vs rogers with an OPS well over 1.000 and we hit bonderman well too.

Korpido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
  #45
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpido View Post
Sheff needs to be dropped from the 4 spot.
Yeah I havent been any more impressed with Sheff than I would've been with Craig Wilson... who can play some D, too.

Time to shakeup the lineup, though... Giambi had huge success hitting behind Abreu, who's always on base... mixing it up now, just has him hitting back into the shift again... I know the left to right to left thing is the reasoning behind Sheff at the 4, but... it still needs to go.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:55 PM
  #46
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Oof, the middle of the lineup was atrocious today.

No panic modes yet, they still kept it close in a game that will probably be the Tigers closest in the series. Gotta get to the starters more effectively, stay away from Zumaya, he's lethal.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 03:57 PM
  #47
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,989
vCash: 500
Great pitching always beats great hitting. And if I understand correctly, all three of the Detroit pitchers were throwing over a 100mph with movement. That's pretty tough to beat. Now itís up to the little unit. I call him little because he hasnít been big for the Yankees since he arrived.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
  #48
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,456
vCash: 500
Johnson seems...

to have pitched well with a good deal of rest. Tomorrow could be his night to pitch well. Mussina didn't seem to have it today. He was hanging breaking balls all over the place. I'm surprised the Tigers didn't hit a couple more out.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
  #49
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
ha ha, how bad was A-Rod in this game? Struck out looking with the bases loaded. Swing the bat!

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 04:51 PM
  #50
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,456
vCash: 500
Did you see that pitch?

and the setup to that pitch? I think there are a ton of sluggers out there who would've froze at that pitch. Two 101 MPH fastballs followed by a breaking ball in the strike zone? Ballsy pitch no doubt, but the whole at bat was perfectly executed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.