HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2013, 05:47 PM
That Bear

vCash: 500
Play in my first beer league game of my life. Wish me luck!

Old
05-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Bear View Post
Good luck. Which arena you playing at?

Old
05-22-2013, 09:58 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
are you in the rookie league at the ice park?

Old
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Jisatsu

Today I....

Tried out the warrior dolomite spyne DD. Was okay. Took a bit to get used to no grip texture, and the curve was a little weird. The blade kind of felt dead to me. Shots were alright, and stick handling was a bit off. I'll use it in my drop in game tomorrow, and if I still don't like it, I'll trade it for an RS.

Had a fairly good 2v2 half ice with a goalie this morning. Better work out than I expected.

Old
05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
ShootsWide

Quote:

How did it go? I am half way through my first league. Its so much fun playing

Today I practiced with a teammate. Doing passing drills and some 2 on 2. We had no goalies so we had a 3 pass rule before we can take any shot. It really helped on forcing us to get into a position to receive a pass and to try to shake off the person chasing you down

Old
05-23-2013, 11:04 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Also does anybody find when they play with a stick too short for them that they have trouble taking snap shots? I can't wait to get my Base stick soon.
I find that most players don't cut down their sticks enough. How short is your stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOutlaw View Post
Today I was two handed in the back of the head in front of the ref. I feel down obviously, and there guy tripped over me after he two handed me. I went to the box for holding, but he didn't. I asked the ref I didn't know I could hold laying face down on the ice after being hit. He said I didn't call his crosscheck because you are up by 2 with 1 minute to go. I am trying to stop a fight from happening. GREAT LOGIC
I've seen this logic before, it amazes me.

I often get called for penalties that occur like this:

I make a hard play in the corner or in front of the net. Perfectly legal. Start to skate away and get slashed or cross checked from behind. If I turn around and look at the player, the ref blows the whistle and we both go to the box. Even though whatever I did initially wouldn't have been a penalty if the other player didn't retaliate like a moron. I constantly get called for these types of dumb things.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Frankie Spankie

Ugh, one of those nights where I had something like 5 amazing chances to score and only scored 1 goal. Even more discouraging, my one goal was hardly a shot, I did try to shoot it, but it came off my stick like it just happened to bounce off me and trickled into the open net. I'd like to blame how awful the ice was, it was really ****ing bad, but realistically, that only ruined one good scoring chance where I basically tripped over myself on a breakaway because the ice was so bad.

Old
05-23-2013, 11:50 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I find that most players don't cut down their sticks enough. How short is your stick?

It's just a bit lower than my chin with skates on. I know it's too small because I have to lean forwards too much when I'm shooting and when I don't I will hit it with the base of my stick and it will just slide on the ice.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Had a huge bounce back game today. On Saturday I was awful and nothing seemed to come together. Today though I was just on top of my game from the start to the end. Warm-up prep went well, had my confidence pretty high and my focus was good as well. Ended up playing my game which was aggressive with a lot of puck handling...maybe too much puck handling but hey I never got scored on because of my mistakes. Must say though did not appreciate going on after the figure skaters. Caused a goal because my skate hit a divot and I fell over.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Must say though did not appreciate going on after the figure skaters. Caused a goal because my skate hit a divot and I fell over.
Don't worry, same thing happened to Rask last night.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:16 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
It's just a bit lower than my chin with skates on. I know it's too small because I have to lean forwards too much when I'm shooting and when I don't I will hit it with the base of my stick and it will just slide on the ice.
Actually that's pretty much where it's supposed to be. Go look at any pro player when they are just standing around.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
stocky

Yesterday, I went to Game 5 of the Sharks/Kings series. Minnesota is my team, but I couldnt pass up a chance to see some playoff hockey! We had seats 11 rows from the glass. It was sweet! And a great game to boot!

Old
05-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Jisatsu

Played in the local friday drop in game. Was fun. Decided I don't like the warrior stick, went to the LHS and spent way too much on an RSII. I'll use it sunday or tuesday and report back. Hopefully it's not too much different than my S19. Feels about the same, maybe a little lighter at the blade, but that could be my mind playing tricks on me.

Old
05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Jisatsu

Quote:
Actually that's pretty much where it's supposed to be. Go look at any pro player when they are just standing around.
Yeah, sort of forces you to lean forward for skating too. I've been cutting my sticks that length for years now, and it's improved my stick handling and overall game. Only time I think longer sticks work well are for serious defensemen.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:31 PM
wondeROY

Just bought some Bauer Supreme One.7's. Gahhh so excited to skate these. Sort of an impulse purchase, my LHS had my exact size and once I realized how much lighter they are then my RBK 5k's I couldn't resist.

Old
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
Eh, no. Below the chin is quite short, Datsyuk for example, his stick comes up to his eyes. I prefer mine to about the bottom of my nose. It's all preference, but to say pro players have them below their chin is total shenanigans.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Eh, no. Below the chin is quite short, Datsyuk for example, his stick comes up to his eyes. I prefer mine to about the bottom of my nose. It's all preference, but to say pro players have them below their chin is total shenanigans.

He seems to be doing ok with a short stick...

Old
05-24-2013, 05:03 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Okay, so I should've said the majority of players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAOoLYZmgiQ

And go to 3 minutes here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4m7h39DCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post

And so did all of these guys:

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

Old
05-24-2013, 05:23 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post

It would be nice if we could see the rest of that picture, since its unlikely he is holding that stick straight up. It looks pitched at an angle. Good thing that picture is cut off at his waist...

Old
05-24-2013, 05:35 PM
wondeROY

Quote:

And go to 3 minutes here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL4m7h39DCo

And so did all of these guys:

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/
Can't watch those videos at work, and that website looks like its from the 90's when everyone did indeed have shorter sticks. I could post 100 pics of elite players with sticks to their forehead, that play in TODAYS league, but I won't do that. My point is, it's preference and if anything you will find in today's league more players are going longer. Also keep in mind longer sticks will have more whip, the shorter you cut the stick the stiffer it gets.

When I first started playing I used sticks 4 inches shorter then I do now, every year my sticks got longer and I only found it to my advantage.

Old
05-24-2013, 05:44 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Can't watch those videos at work, and that website looks like its from the 90's when everyone did indeed have shorter sticks. I could post 100 pics of elite players with sticks to their forehead, that play in TODAYS league, but I won't do that. My point is, it's preference and if anything you will find in today's league more players are going longer. Also keep in mind longer sticks will have more whip, the shorter you cut the stick the stiffer it gets.

When I first started playing I used sticks 4 inches shorter then I do now, every year my sticks got longer and I only found it to my advantage.

There's a certain point at which it becomes a disadvantage. I think that most people would say the nose is on the higher end of the stick length, and the chest is on the shorter end. And I'd say the vast majority of players I've seen use a stick around their chest/chin, unless they are really small. I'd be interested in seeing some pics of these elite players because I can't find any right now.

Whatever works for each player is fine and dandy, but having a stick at your chin or chest isn't a ridiculously small height.

And an fyi, the picture you just posted is old and cut off at the waste. Maybe he slipped on sneakers before that shot was taken

Old
05-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Malarowski

Today (okay this weekend) I took advantage of Memorial Day and upgraded some equipment. Got Reebok 16k pants (finally proper size, the previous one were too large), Bauer One80 Supreme gloves, and One60 elbow pads to replace the CCM ones that started tearing already. Too bad all rinks shut down over the holiday as I really wanted to try the stuff out. Can't wait for tomorrow! Especially excited about the pants and gloves, they are both built like a tank, yet flexible.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:

Gotta listen to Howie Meeker...

Old
05-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Some world class players can use longer sticks because they have insane strength and hand eye coordination. Hossa and Datsyuk for instance.

I'd say "average" is to cut off at the nose in bare feet, which should be right around chin level in skates. But 2" above or below is not that crazy. I use 2" below the nose give or take.

But it depends on a lot of things, including the lie of your stick and the length of the blade. The P14 blade for instance is almost 1" shorter than say a Sakic or Drury, which would make you cut it too long. Trial and error seems to be best and eventually you get a feel for it.

Old
05-28-2013, 03:56 PM
TLow97

Weighed myself at 260.8 yesterday, down from 280 on March 17! Lightest I've been in my adult life, and I'm ready to cross into the 250s. Gotta slim down if I want to keep playing this game :-)

Closed Thread